Cullen and Katie: Blame the Mailman Part 7

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Cullen and Katie: Blame the Mailman Part 7

Unread post by lmmomSD »

tratra58 wrote:
RootBeerFloatie wrote:There has been a change in youtube algorithm, and reasons videos are hitting the recommended box is changing. Videos with higher user engagement are being promoted over videos with low engagement. The reason for this is that youtube wants to create a viewing "chain" rather than users watching one video and then logging off.

Basically, youtube wants to recommend you a video that will cause you to watch 20 more videos afterwards. Daily vlogs are good for this, because if you find one you like, you're likely to click back through previous ones to watch more. In that respect, video engagement matters way more than views. If 20mil people watched a funny video of kid on a slide but no one liked/commented/clicked on more videos afterward, youtube isn't going to promote it. Instead, they'll promote a kid on a slide that got 5k views but with 3k comments and over half the users clicked on a similar video in their recommended tab. As time goes on, they'll be able to adjust what videos are recommended where, to maximise viewing times and social media shares.

Anyone who thinks their videos/channels are disappearing are misinformed, or relying on clickbait to get people to watch. One of my favorite channels did a segment about this on their podcast, and they actually contacted youtube directly to ask questions rather than going off anecdotes and speculation.

Tl;dr: Videos with higher engagment are showing up more often in users recommended feeds vs videos with no engagement but high views. No one's channels or videos are being taken down, they're just not being seen as often by non subscribers.

They are all at the mercy of YouTube and the sponsors. I remember one YouTuber saying how he felt it necessary to diversify with other jobs in case there are changes with YouTube that could be costly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry for so many posts-- too late to edit. But I have no sympathy for them "being at the mercy" of YouTube. They have chosen to count on a capricious form of income that has no guarantees, and if they're not keeping an eye out and look at other ways to make income, they are not too bright.
Sorry, I am just a little bitter after watching the conspicuous consumption of Bryan and Missy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

lmmomSD wrote:So for Cullen to say it doesn't mean anything, it's just for fun, it's him being disingenuous again. Jeez, just tell us!
Family Fun Pack has been pushing the likes too, which is ridiculous because their vlogs get millions of views, and they have money rolling in hand over fist.

but if it appears he's worried about views or money, he can't claim he does Youtube for the memories.
PhoenixFeathers
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PhoenixFeathers »

lmmomSD wrote:So for Cullen to say it doesn't mean anything, it's just for fun, it's him being disingenuous again. Jeez, just tell us!
Family Fun Pack has been pushing the likes too, which is ridiculous because their vlogs get millions of views, and they have money rolling in hand over fist.

He said they don't get paid for likes. Which is still true.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

PhoenixFeathers wrote:

He said they don't get paid for likes. Which is still true.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
But he also still played it off as just being something "for fun". So he stuck to the literal truth but obscured the reason they want the likes. That's practically the definition of disingenuous.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
yoyo16
Informer
Informer

Unread post by yoyo16 »

Why are Kelly and Jay hopping on the YouTube train? They say it's because people have been asking them to start one but I don't believe that. I'm pretty sure that they have money, based on their house they just moved into and her husbands job. I hope they don't fall into the same old routine every YouTuber has gone into- quitting jobs and doing it full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ferriswheel
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ferriswheel »

yoyo16 wrote:Why are Kelly and Jay hopping on the YouTube train? They say it's because people have been asking them to start one but I don't believe that. I'm pretty sure that they have money, based on their house they just moved into and her husbands job. I hope they don't fall into the same old routine every YouTuber has gone into- quitting jobs and doing it full time.

I was wondering about this too, unless it's a side job for Kelly.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
Peace, Love and Animal Crackers
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

I thought Kelly had a couple of jobs? Maybe they're trying to pay down some debt from purchasing the house? I thought their intro video was cringe-worthy. I can't see them doing youtube for long.
freshbalsam
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by freshbalsam »

I hope they do well! I always really liked Kelly and Jay from what has been shown of them in the vlogs. Their kids are cute and well mannered, and are also older than a big majority of family vloggers - so that could be a benefit in the "relatable" category for them. I'm envisioning a way better version of Ruby's channel. But only time will tell!

mblant99
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by mblant99 »

Lovethesnark wrote:I thought Kelly had a couple of jobs? Maybe they're trying to pay down some debt from purchasing the house? I thought their intro video was cringe-worthy. I can't see them doing youtube for long.
It was very cringe worthy. I see Jay being the better vlogger because of his personality. Kelly just seems like she keeps to herself a lot. Hopefully it'll be good

usernamessuck
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by usernamessuck »

I'm not bugged by the likes thing. That has been the algorithm for a while now. That's why almost every YouTube tells you to comment and like. It's how they get recommended. So, yeah it will get them noticed, but I personally think it's cool to set a goal for your audience. It makes me feel engaged (even though I don't like or comment on any videos).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
daisy1000
Informer
Informer

Unread post by daisy1000 »

Who are Kelly & Jay? In relation to Cullen & Katie

jaynshann
Informer
Informer

Unread post by jaynshann »

daisy1000 wrote:Who are Kelly & Jay? In relation to Cullen & Katie

Kelly is Katies sister.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
907ninja
Informer
Informer

Unread post by 907ninja »

Yeah... it seemed OTT to me for her to say that it would make the difference of her channel living ro dying. Come on, shes one of THE biggest youtubers out there, her channel isn't going away if i don't hit the like button. She has her own line at Tarte now, (which, yes i do have her tarte palette. Its amazing and i love it. Didn't buy it bc its hers, bought it bc i really loved the colors and i have zero regrets lol) shes big enough that this isn't going to phase her.[/quote]

Yes!!! The Swamp Queen Palette is AMAZING! The colors looks great on everyone!

Lurker4Life
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Lurker4Life »

In regards to the algorithm change and all that, I just watched a creator who had been in touch with youtube and youtube claim that they have made no major changes to the algorithm, they change it all the time but they claim that, even though there's been big spikes and drops in numbers they haven't done anything. Supposedly all the stuff to do with subscribers not getting videos and what not and the other issues youtube claims they don't know what is causing it or whatever, but with promoting videos (at least with the trending pages) they put videos that they think have the opportunity to go viral and what not. I don't know how much of this was true but just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in for anyone interested.

I think Cullen and Katie are doing the like thing to make sure they stay relevant, but I don't hate them for it, I think a lot of youtubers are worried at the moment due to everything which is happening.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

tratra58 wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:Big announcement is Kelley and Jay started a Vlogging channel.
Does this help Cullen and Katie with cross views?
I struggle to see how it wouldn't. From what I've seen, viewers love cross family members who vlog. I guess the only danger is if Jay is genuinely more entertaining comedically, Cullen may get unnerved and/or lose views to Jay's channel. That skit Jay did was amusing tbh, time will tell I guess.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:Big announcement is Kelley and Jay started a Vlogging channel.
Why is that a HUGE family announcement. SMH.
It might be if Jay get's bigger than C&K. ;) Vlog title: ''Cullen & Jay fall out.'' ''Cullen quits YouTube in a huff.'' Lol
Last edited by Scar2016 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Lovethesnark wrote:
but if it appears he's worried about views or money, he can't claim he does Youtube for the memories.
HA! Nothing like being caught between a rock and a hard_placed_lie, eh Cullen?
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

lmmomSD wrote:
tratra58 wrote:
RootBeerFloatie wrote:There has been a change in youtube algorithm, and reasons videos are hitting the recommended box is changing. Videos with higher user engagement are being promoted over videos with low engagement. The reason for this is that youtube wants to create a viewing "chain" rather than users watching one video and then logging off.

Basically, youtube wants to recommend you a video that will cause you to watch 20 more videos afterwards. Daily vlogs are good for this, because if you find one you like, you're likely to click back through previous ones to watch more. In that respect, video engagement matters way more than views. If 20mil people watched a funny video of kid on a slide but no one liked/commented/clicked on more videos afterward, youtube isn't going to promote it. Instead, they'll promote a kid on a slide that got 5k views but with 3k comments and over half the users clicked on a similar video in their recommended tab. As time goes on, they'll be able to adjust what videos are recommended where, to maximise viewing times and social media shares.

Anyone who thinks their videos/channels are disappearing are misinformed, or relying on clickbait to get people to watch. One of my favorite channels did a segment about this on their podcast, and they actually contacted youtube directly to ask questions rather than going off anecdotes and speculation.

Tl;dr: Videos with higher engagment are showing up more often in users recommended feeds vs videos with no engagement but high views. No one's channels or videos are being taken down, they're just not being seen as often by non subscribers.

They are all at the mercy of YouTube and the sponsors. I remember one YouTuber saying how he felt it necessary to diversify with other jobs in case there are changes with YouTube that could be costly.

Sorry for so many posts-- too late to edit. But I have no sympathy for them "being at the mercy" of YouTube. They have chosen to count on a capricious form of income that has no guarantees, and if they're not keeping an eye out and look at other ways to make income, they are not too bright.
Sorry, I am just a little bitter after watching the conspicuous consumption of Bryan and Missy.

I didn't mean that we should feel sorry for any of these folks. My point was YouTube has risk if this is your income.

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

907ninja wrote:Yeah... it seemed OTT to me for her to say that it would make the difference of her channel living ro dying. Come on, shes one of THE biggest youtubers out there, her channel isn't going away if i don't hit the like button. She has her own line at Tarte now, (which, yes i do have her tarte palette. Its amazing and i love it. Didn't buy it bc its hers, bought it bc i really loved the colors and i have zero regrets lol) shes big enough that this isn't going to phase her.
Yes!!! The Swamp Queen Palette is AMAZING! The colors looks great on everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I was weary at first bc i wasnt sure about the rusty peach colors but they are some of my favorites now. I really hope it becomes a palette they carry all the time bc idk what i will do when i run out of it. It's also the first time i've ever played with highlight and contour, the colors are so universal and pretty. It makes it so easy!!! (plus it smells SOOOO GOOD lol)
amf2224
Talker
Talker

Unread post by amf2224 »

I don't know about you guys, but that clip with Jay coming in the house with all his YouTube equipment was HILARIOUS! I was laughing so hard. With his shirt, all his equipment, and "this lighting is terrible!" Their vlogs will be hilarious too I'm sure!!

Return to “Cullen and Katie”