Steps to Wander

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Wander

Unread post by Playsinrain »

HashtagBlessed wrote:There's no way I would bring my child to a health care provider that doesn't believe in vaccinations. What kind of bullshit is that? How can you trust her judgement as a provider? I don't care if she had mood lighting and a couch to sit on. She's obviously a quack.
Can a naturopathic doctors even be REAL pediatricians????????? Naturopathy is great! Don't get me wrong (and i don't really want to start that whole debate again) but i feel like its great for adults, older kids with minor illness', things like that. It's wayyyy too much of a hassle to have two dr's for this baby. Go for the regular peds, then use the naturopathic dr later on for whatever you need her for!! I know it's personal opinion but i just couldnt personally do it. If June gets sick and they take her to this dr, what if she's sicker than they think? This dr can't admit her to the hospital which means another dr's visit to be evaluated and admitted or risking the ER! It doesn't seem reasonable for me and i have reliable transportation! For them it would be a nightmare! I feel like they need to nix the naturopathic dr idea for now and keep her in mind for later. Glad to know they aren't anti vaccination!
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HashtagBlessed wrote:And Corbin continues to prove over and over again that he is a complete moron. Why would a naturopathic doctor have admitting privileged at a medical hospital? The naturopathic "doctor" didn't go to medical school. They don't have an MD. Of course their scope of practice is limited, and the hospital is smart not to take on that liability. I think it's their perogative to pay whomever they want for their health care, but the fact that Corbin can't comprehend why the two are treated differently by a hospital system is just baffling.
It seems like they have done zero research as to what a naturopathic dr really is and isn't. they just heard that she's holistic and all natural and decided thats the way to go. Thank god they had the brains enough to go meet this dr and talk with her first before settling on her. Hell she wouldnt even be able to exam the baby after she was born at the hospital! I know here babies are "assigned" a dr by who ever is on call that day. You can easily change their dr after the fact but whoever happened to be on call that day is the one giving your baby the once over and who they will list as their dr. When we interviewed our dr we were introduced to every dr that was in the practice so that we would be comfortable at birth with whoever was there. We lucked out and the dr we chose was on call for both my kids, but if K&C went with this "dr" they would be in the dark!!!
Pency
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pency »

HashtagBlessed wrote:There's no way I would bring my child to a health care provider that doesn't believe in vaccinations. What kind of bullshit is that? How can you trust her judgement as a provider? I don't care if she had mood lighting and a couch to sit on. She's obviously a quack.
Gosh, seriously. I came here to say the same thing. Sounds like from the video they believe in delayed scheduling too. More power to you if you believe a delayed schedule is best (keep your kids away from mine, though, thanks), but I'm willing to bet my big toe these idiots have no idea why they believe that and have done all their research via Google.

I really need to stop watching them. The whole thing where they went to pick up Paris and then they forgot they had an appointment, then walked 6 miles the whole day because they don't want (can't afford?) a car?

I'm all for walking places, but in the dead of winter and 30 weeks pregnant? Without any winter gear that properly fits? These two are nutty.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

They should be looking for a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO). It is a professional degree for physicians in medical school. They have the same admitting privileged and rights as an MD. A Doctor of Naturopathy is NOT the same as a DO. A Doctor of Naturopathy does not attend an accredited medical school and does not need to complete a residency, except in the state of Utah. The DN they're looking at has no clinical experience in a hospital, hence the lack of admitting privilege.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I should also point out that the guiding principles for a Doctor of Osteopathy is basically a holistic approach and a belief that the body is for the most part self-regulating and self-healing. They are still trained with the same medical standards of care as an MD. They are NOT about herbalism or any of that mumbo jumbo that Kelsey and Corbin were talking about. So if they want to treat their child with herbs, then I guess they're in the right place after all.
somewhatsilent
Informer
Informer

Unread post by somewhatsilent »

Am I the only one who really cannot stand these two?..its the way he talks to her that drives me nutty "awwwee baaabbbyyyyyy"...and she reminds me of her BFF mithy too much..a clueless drama queen...blugh

Plus the bad decision making of course.

Im so mean. Lol. But really.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

As everyone else here has said: They're seriously nuts! I don't even know why they still seem on the fence about that "doctor." There are PLENTY of great pediatricians in PDX, so it's annoying they want to go "all natural" simply because they think it's trendy and hipster. :roll: :roll: :roll:

That poor kid will get sick and probably suffer longer because that tincture K&C give her isn't REAL medicine. They REALLY need vaccines because whooping cough has been a serious problem in Portland recently and they plan to use public transportation. A friend in PDX was out of work for more than a month last year with it.
alyssadt
Informer
Informer

Unread post by alyssadt »

HashtagBlessed wrote:And Corbin continues to prove over and over again that he is a complete moron. Why would a naturopathic doctor have admitting privileged at a medical hospital? The naturopathic "doctor" didn't go to medical school. They don't have an MD. Of course their scope of practice is limited, and the hospital is smart not to take on that liability. I think it's their perogative to pay whomever they want for their health care, but the fact that Corbin can't comprehend why the two are treated differently by a hospital system is just baffling.

Not defending them, but if she is a D.O. practicing naturiopathic medicine... then she Did go to medical school.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

alyssadt wrote:

Not defending them, but if she is a D.O. practicing naturiopathic medicine... then she Did go to medical school.
This is what I wrote on the previous page of this thread:

"They should be looking for a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO). It is a professional degree for physicians in medical school. They have the same admitting privileged and rights as an MD. A Doctor of Naturopathy is NOT the same as a DO. A Doctor of Naturopathy does not attend an accredited medical school and does not need to complete a residency, except in the state of Utah. The DN they're looking at has no clinical experience in a hospital, hence the lack of admitting privilege."

A physician with a DO degree does not practice Naturopathy and would never call themselves a naturopathic doctor. They're different accreditations with different requirements and different philosophies. A DO is for all intents and purposes equivalent to an MD. If the "doctor" they saw calls herself an DN and does not have admitting privileged, she's not a DO.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Furthermore, I just can't understand two adults who choose their child's pediatrician based on the tea selection, the lighting, the couches, and the other superficial things they listed. If they're in an emergency health situation, they have to go to the emergency room if their pediatrician doesn't have admitting privileges. And if they are on Oregon's medicaid program, they'll have a primary care doctor designated on their insurance cards and then they'll need a referral to see the naturopathic doctor if they want any of their claims reimbursed. They randomly admitted in a recent video that they never got their insurance information after signing up? I hope they got that resolved. That's kind of a big deal.

"We'll have to do a different video on that" is code for "we don't want to fully express our beliefs because we don't want to alienate viewers or deal with the backlash."

I shouldn't be surprised that they don't understand why the ND doesn't have "every right a normal doctor does" because they clearly don't understand that an accredited medical school and an accredited Naturopathic school are two very different programs.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HashtagBlessed wrote:Furthermore, I just can't understand two adults who choose their child's pediatrician based on the tea selection, the lighting, the couches, and the other superficial things they listed. If they're in an emergency health situation, they have to go to the emergency room if their pediatrician doesn't have admitting privileges. And if they are on Oregon's medicaid program, they'll have a primary care doctor designated on their insurance cards and then they'll need a referral to see the naturopathic doctor if they want any of their claims reimbursed. They randomly admitted in a recent video that they never got their insurance information after signing up? I hope they got that resolved. That's kind of a big deal.

"We'll have to do a different video on that" is code for "we don't want to fully express our beliefs because we don't want to alienate viewers or deal with the backlash."

I shouldn't be surprised that they don't understand why the ND doesn't have "every right a normal doctor does" because they clearly don't understand that an accredited medical school and an accredited Naturopathic school are two very different programs.
I completely agree, while yes the amenities the dr provides in the waiting room are nice, they aren't going to be a deciding factor in who my child's dr is going to be (well unless I like them both equally and need something to break the tie so to speak lol, but it's not going to bear weight on my decision) and this is literally the only positive thing they had to say about this dr! They clearly have not done any research on NDs vs MD's vs DO's and really should before they make major decisions about their child's health care based on how comfy the couch is in the waiting room.

Vaccine talk is like circumcisism talk. No matter what side you are on someone is going to think you are dead wrong and will chastise you for it. I think it's smart for all family vloggers to keep those decisions to themselves.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Personal but with a point: I took care of a baby once in the PICU that some back country non certified midwife delivered at home. They had to do CPR when he was born. Still didn't call 911. Midwife gave them Rescue Remedy (a Bach "flower essence") and potassium supplements. Finally he got so sick that they brought him into the ER with neonatal sepsis. The pediatrician yelled at them for being so stupid and careless with their child's health. We saved him, but I still think about him and wonder if he had residual damage. The parents were these Texas Hill country hippies. Remind me of these two. So obsessed with being hip and "natural", but actually very clueless. Naturopathic medicine does have a role it can play in healthcare. But choosing your child's doctor based on the tea and the waiting room rather than actual research, is just stupid. There are so many sites that rate doctors. These two make me twitch.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
alyssadt
Informer
Informer

Unread post by alyssadt »

HashtagBlessed wrote:
alyssadt wrote:

This is what I wrote on the previous page of this thread:

"They should be looking for a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO). It is a professional degree for physicians in medical school. They have the same admitting privileged and rights as an MD. A Doctor of Naturopathy is NOT the same as a DO. A Doctor of Naturopathy does not attend an accredited medical school and does not need to complete a residency, except in the state of Utah. The DN they're looking at has no clinical experience in a hospital, hence the lack of admitting privilege."

A physician with a DO degree does not practice Naturopathy and would never call themselves a naturopathic doctor. They're different accreditations with different requirements and different philosophies. A DO is for all intents and purposes equivalent to an MD. If the "doctor" they saw calls herself an DN and does not have admitting privileged, she's not a DO.

Whoops. Sorry, didn't see you replied that!
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:Personal but with a point: I took care of a baby once in the PICU that some back country non certified midwife delivered at home. They had to do CPR when he was born. Still didn't call 911. Midwife gave them Rescue Remedy (a Bach "flower essence") and potassium supplements. Finally he got so sick that they brought him into the ER with neonatal sepsis. The pediatrician yelled at them for being so stupid and careless with their child's health. We saved him, but I still think about him and wonder if he had residual damage. The parents were these Texas Hill country hippies. Remind me of these two. So obsessed with being hip and "natural", but actually very clueless. Naturopathic medicine does have a role it can play in healthcare. But choosing your child's doctor based on the tea and the waiting room rather than actual research, is just stupid. There are so many sites that rate doctors. These two make me twitch.

Was it Lucy and Joel? kidding kidding.. (but this was the first thing that came to mind) I hope the baby is healthy as a horse now and his parents realize what a blessing modern medicine really is..
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Snow molecules trap particulars from car exhaust. So by eating a big bowl of it you are essentially eating toxic pollutants like benzene, toluene and ethylbenzene, and other pollutants released in the atmosphere. Yuck. It's not harmful per se, but still gross, especially since they pretend they're so conscious about what they put in their bodies.

The idea of Kelsey and Corbin doing a series on BabyLeague that's "educational" is hilarious.
melonyogloo
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by melonyogloo »

I got curious and went to BabyLeague to watch the trailer. In the description, it says, "Thrilled to welcome Corbin and Kelsey (of Steps to Wander) who will share their joy of pregnancy, new parenthood and their passion for sustainable living starting January 25th!" When did these two snowflakes live a sustainable life?
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:The idea of Kelsey and Corbin doing a series on BabyLeague that's "educational" is hilarious.
Exactly! And it's about being sustainable and organic?! Like driving an old, clunky, gas-guzzler across the country because they couldn't afford rent in Portland without jobs? Or how they are buying all new cheap "wood" furniture from Amazon instead of buying things locally or second-hand (Portland does have some great thrift shops)?? I'm sure all those meals they eat out are organic, right??!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can think of anything they do that strikes me as sustainable or organic. I mean, the only reason they don't have a car is because they can't afford one.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

ewokfan11 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:The idea of Kelsey and Corbin doing a series on BabyLeague that's "educational" is hilarious.
Exactly! And it's about being sustainable and organic?! Like driving an old, clunky, gas-guzzler across the country because they couldn't afford rent in Portland without jobs? Or how they are buying all new cheap "wood" furniture from Amazon instead of buying things locally or second-hand (Portland does have some great thrift shops)?? I'm sure all those meals they eat out are organic, right??!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I can think of anything they do that strikes me as sustainable or organic. I mean, the only reason they don't have a car is because they can't afford one.
I love that Corbin was going on about the "grain" in the "wood" on their Amazon stools. Dude. You paid $50 a piece for those stools. It's either engineered wood or cheap pine. LOL They're really trying to achieve this hip, modern look but they can't be bothered to track down interesting, unique, quality pieces. So they just find the mass produced version new on Amazon.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

My cousin would get such a laugh out of these two! She started a zero waste webpage, gardens and composts, takes reusable packages to the grocery store to get her bulk items like flour and sugar, and has her family of five down to throwing away hardly anything, because of the composting and recycling. These two are a joke. They only seem to be interested in the "sustainable" life because it's hip and gimmicky. If they were _really_ interested, they would have aimed for a rental with room for a garden-- any garden, even if it was a container garden. And as has been said, they would be looking for quality used furniture. Not going to Amazon, that uses valuable resources for packing, shipping, and delivery. They have no clue what they're talking about. And that's bad because it makes people who really are trying to leave the planet a better place look like idiots too

Pency
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pency »

Playsinrain wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:Furthermore, I just can't understand two adults who choose their child's pediatrician based on the tea selection, the lighting, the couches, and the other superficial things they listed. If they're in an emergency health situation, they have to go to the emergency room if their pediatrician doesn't have admitting privileges. And if they are on Oregon's medicaid program, they'll have a primary care doctor designated on their insurance cards and then they'll need a referral to see the naturopathic doctor if they want any of their claims reimbursed. They randomly admitted in a recent video that they never got their insurance information after signing up? I hope they got that resolved. That's kind of a big deal.

I completely agree, while yes the amenities the dr provides in the waiting room are nice, they aren't going to be a deciding factor in who my child's dr is going to be (well unless I like them both equally and need something to break the tie so to speak lol, but it's not going to bear weight on my decision) and this is literally the only positive thing they had to say about this dr! They clearly have not done any research on NDs vs MD's vs DO's and really should before they make major decisions about their child's health care based on how comfy the couch is in the waiting room.

Vaccine talk is like circumcisism talk. No matter what side you are on someone is going to think you are dead wrong and will chastise you for it. I think it's smart for all family vloggers to keep those decisions to themselves.
Oh, but don't forget, Kelsey hates any medical setting! She will freak out! The baby needs to go to the doctor where there is soft lighting and candles.

It makes me LOL so hard that they are "sustainable" and "organic" yet they have literally everything shipped to them from Amazon. These two are ridiculous.

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”