Cullen & Katie : Happy Sparkling New Year Part #8

larissaledingham
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen & Katie : Happy Sparkling New Year Part #8

Unread post by larissaledingham »

Scar2016 wrote:Cullen said his dad was living/staying with them in the basement room? Were his parents divorced?
It was when his dad had cancer and was doing chemo I think it was so someone was always close to him with grandberry working out of the home

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
ferriswheel
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ferriswheel »

Scar2016 wrote:Cullen said his dad was living/staying with them in the basement room? Were his parents divorced?
I don't know if they were actually divorced, but they weren't together anymore. I know his dad was living out of state.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Peace, Love and Animal Crackers
Lurker4Life
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Lurker4Life »

Gre wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:
Gre wrote:Is it actually frowned upon in America to speak in a third person manner? It's interesting to see so many people pointing it out when where I live, people try to keep children doing so for as long as they could (not necessarily everywhere they go, but more when they are around family and relatives) because they see it as a sign of respect.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
Forgive my ignorance here but it's a sign of respect to refer to yourself in the 3rd person? as in its more respectful for Sally to say "Sally is going for a walk!" insead of "I'm going for a walk!"?
As weird as it sounds, yes! As PoptheButterfly has said, it must be a cultural thing. People, especially the older generation, prefers 3rd person over first. Saying I or me (especially the non-formal version) is considered impolite. I still do that when talking to my parents' friends and colleagues and even relatives. The younger ones didn't do it that much tho. But then again, we're half a globe apart. Some differences are expected, right? Image

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
That's really interesting, I'm across the world from America too, so we are "neighbours" probably but its cool that through our gossip we learn more about other cultures
PhoenixFeathers
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PhoenixFeathers »

Boredomatitsfinest wrote:Not coming at this from a snarky angle, as C&K are the only vloggers I genuinely like, but didn't Katie say she planned to upload a video a week on KatieOnTheFlipSide not that long ago, or am I mistaken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She did. According to insta they did film one this week. I wish she'd make more of an effort to do videos on her channel. I always enjoy them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Strawberry26
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Strawberry26 »

I don't know why Katie can't edit her own videos....

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Strawberry26 wrote:I don't know why Katie can't edit her own videos....

Good question. Why doesn't she do this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

tratra58 wrote:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Katie doesn't film them herself either, but does it really matter? The content is hers alone for the most part. It used to bother me when she first started her channel that she always had Cullen there, I wan't used to it. But now it doesn't bother me because I realize how very much they like doing things together, just like best friends. And as far as editing goes, Cullen really enjoys it and has said so many times. I get the impression that Katie really isn't interested in editing. Maybe her time is better spent doing something else?
staceyeileen
Informer
Informer

Unread post by staceyeileen »

I'm behind on vlogs.... did you all catch that Grandberry was knitting a hat for someone to wear to the women's march in DC on Jan 21? Interesting that Cullen would keep that political statement in the vlog.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

This is probably nitpicking. But did the knocking on the window scene seem totally set up? Cullen had the camera and was dancing around the kitchen with Brooks (who is way too cute, BTW) and then Katie, who was gone picking up Gaines from Grand-dolly's house, all of a sudden had the camera. And she was holding Gaines up to the window and filming (which sounds like a recipe for disaster anyway). I know it's nitpicking. But the whole acting surprised just didn't come off.
And what was that comment about how Katie was reading in a baby book, and "apparently Brooks is going to have a regression". Every baby is different. Some babies do things that the baby books say they will, but it's not a guarantee. Maybe he'll be fine. I'm not even sure what he was talking about! It was just weird.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
madi_b_123
Informer
Informer

Unread post by madi_b_123 »

They mentioned in the comments that they are planning on painting the kitchen a neutral color. I think this will help so much! In my opinion the green does not match the overall appearance of the kitchen and having a more neutral color will help sell the house.

WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

staceyeileen wrote:I'm behind on vlogs.... did you all catch that Grandberry was knitting a hat for someone to wear to the women's march in DC on Jan 21? Interesting that Cullen would keep that political statement in the vlog.
I was delighted to hear it was for a "new friend" at the Million Woman March that she wouldn't know until she saw the hat on her. Gaines, and Katie too, are imo very lucky to have a woman in their lives to learn from by example. Upon googling the MWM, I was struck by such a hit women were taking in this election cycle. Good for GrandBerry!
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:This is probably nitpicking. But did the knocking on the window scene seem totally set up? Cullen had the camera and was dancing around the kitchen with Brooks (who is way too cute, BTW) and then Katie, who was gone picking up Gaines from Grand-dolly's house, all of a sudden had the camera. And she was holding Gaines up to the window and filming (which sounds like a recipe for disaster anyway). I know it's nitpicking. But the whole acting surprised just didn't come off.
And what was that comment about how Katie was reading in a baby book, and "apparently Brooks is going to have a regression". Every baby is different. Some babies do things that the baby books say they will, but it's not a guarantee. Maybe he'll be fine. I'm not even sure what he was talking about! It was just weird.

I think the regression talk was an attempt to make an allowance for Brooks being fussy perhaps. So that's why he was dancing and boxing with him instead of doing the dishes. I think he said "Brooks wasn't having it." My kids are all grown, so I'm not up on a lot of the new parenting info and theories. I never heard of regression until Gaines was a baby. But I suppose Katie would know about that.

I think Katie was sneaking up on Cullen, going around the back, to check up on what he was doing with Brooks to be honest. I don't think it was set up because 1) It just has never really been Katie's style. 2) She had Gaines with her and she's likely to be a bust. 3) Cullen didn't really act too surprised. If it was set up, I think Cullen would've acted the fool playing it
up. I do agree with you though, Brooks is as cute as can be! When Katie behind Cullen, was moving him from one side to the other I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear as I was thoroughly entertained. And, as Katie pointed out, you can only talk about an old fridge for so long. Lol, it reminded me of when Katie was showing a clothing haul for Brooks as Cullen went on and on about something a few months ago. They make a good team!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Seemed to me like Brooks was teething, and that would explain fussiness. He was shoving _everything_ into his mouth. I know that's the age too, but the focus was suspicious for teething. It was into the mouth, gnaw, gnaw, gnaw...
Personally, I would give any dad a pass for dancing with his kids instead of doing dishes. The only bummer was that he was using the headphones so Brooks couldn't hear the music too.
Agree to disagree on the setup. Not that it really matters.

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

At 5-6 months for my youngest he drooled like crazy all the time. His fist and everything else went in his mouth and he had to wear a bib. No teeth came until 8 months though. It was just a phase.

Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

tratra58 wrote:
I found it interesting that Katie didn't sit down and at least learn the basics the week her sister was over at their house learning how to edit. I get that editing is Cullen's baby but it never hurts to have a backup.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

I just got caught up on their vlogs again... I actually like the back splash (and counters). I'm not into the bright white kitchens that other vloggers seem to like (and which rule Pinterest). They do need to repaint, but I think they know that.

Cullen is such a goofball, lol. But he has a big heart. I think Katie wouldn't do vlogs, especially not constantly, if she were single or married to someone else, so I don't see it as such a big deal that she doesn't edit. He has the interest and skill, and she's happy to go along with it, but just isn't invested enough to get involved with editing. These two are not going to be out on the street if their channel fails, so I don't think it's a huge issue. Plus I have definite division of labor in my marriage, with tasks I *always* perform and tasks my husband *always* performs based on an unspoken agreement, so I guess it feels normal?

I'm not sure the "sneaking up on Cullen" scene was staged. In the sense that Katie did it for the vlog, sure, but I don't know that she and Cullen planned it together. They have multiple vlogging cameras and personally I think Cullen's nature would be to ham it up a lot more rather than have a fairly low-key reaction.

I do think it's funny when he drones on and Katie plays with Brooks, shows a haul, etc. My husband does this too and I am not always as patient!

Also I am jealous of their Costco shopping, lol. I would love to be able to just buy whatever strikes my fancy.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

RecklessDisregard wrote:I just got caught up on their vlogs again... I actually like the back splash (and counters). I'm not into the bright white kitchens that other vloggers seem to like (and which rule Pinterest). They do need to repaint, but I think they know that.

Cullen is such a goofball, lol. But he has a big heart. I think Katie wouldn't do vlogs, especially not constantly, if she were single or married to someone else, so I don't see it as such a big deal that she doesn't edit. He has the interest and skill, and she's happy to go along with it, but just isn't invested enough to get involved with editing. These two are not going to be out on the street if their channel fails, so I don't think it's a huge issue. Plus I have definite division of labor in my marriage, with tasks I *always* perform and tasks my husband *always* performs based on an unspoken agreement, so I guess it feels normal?

I'm not sure the "sneaking up on Cullen" scene was staged. In the sense that Katie did it for the vlog, sure, but I don't know that she and Cullen planned it together. They have multiple vlogging cameras and personally I think Cullen's nature would be to ham it up a lot more rather than have a fairly low-key reaction.

I do think it's funny when he drones on and Katie plays with Brooks, shows a haul, etc. My husband does this too and I am not always as patient!

Also I am jealous of their Costco shopping, lol. I would love to be able to just buy whatever strikes my fancy.
I love the kitchen too, I'm not a fan of the all white kitchens either, it just looks too sterile and cold to me, I like the warmer, darker kitchens.

I agree with you with the things about editing, we have those "unspoken rules" at my house as well. there are certain things that i always do, and things my husband always does, and i agree that its probably the same with them. Cullen just always edits and i really think that he enjoys it as well.

I was going to say the same thing about surprising Cullen. They have more than one camera. and i feel like that he would have been more OTT if they had planned it. His reaction seemed pretty natural to me.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Playsinrain wrote:
RecklessDisregard wrote:I just got caught up on their vlogs again... I actually like the back splash (and counters). I'm not into the bright white kitchens that other vloggers seem to like (and which rule Pinterest). They do need to repaint, but I think they know that.

I love the kitchen too, I'm not a fan of the all white kitchens either, it just looks too sterile and cold to me, I like the warmer, darker kitchens.

I agree with you with the things about editing, we have those "unspoken rules" at my house as well. there are certain things that i always do, and things my husband always does, and i agree that its probably the same with them. Cullen just always edits and i really think that he enjoys it as well.

I was going to say the same thing about surprising Cullen. They have more than one camera. and i feel like that he would have been more OTT if they had planned it. His reaction seemed pretty natural to me.
Cullen and Katie are my favorite among the few other channels I watch. I watched Cullen not from the beginning, but around the time he started staying home to YouTube. I feel like your always pulling for this Cullen to succeed with his YouTube business. His Target Ball year took dedication and hard work in finding creating ideas and never missing a day. His humor is the best and both him and Katie seem like they fit so well with their bantering back and forth. Their extended southern family are terrific and how nice of them to be part of their vlogs and seeing Katie's home growing up is a treat...simply a beautiful old southern home. Cullen's losing his dad makes us remember how difficult it is too lose a parent and I was very impressed with his mom who helped with her husband even though they were no longer together. Going to the ocean is a treat with beautiful beaches in the panhandle of Florida. I also love how he shows Alabama college football with their family being a huge fan and not unlike others in this area...that was a hard lost this past week. I think the grandparents and grandchildren relationship is a gift that each party doesn't take for granted...what nice memories Katie's mom is creating by spending special time with her granddaughter once a week and Cullen's mom is a sweetheart of a grandma...I love when she visits them and she has some good funny one liners. Even better, how everyone spends the holidays together brought together by Cullen and Katie's marriage. Honestly, I could go on and on with this really nice young Southern family.

I have overlooked both being disorganized and their taste is not mine, but I do think a realtor will tell them what is needed to sale their house and they get it too by the improvements they are making.

I wish someone could explain to me why he isn't doing better than the Utah and California families. I don't get it. On the other hand, Cullen and Katie are bless with so many things in life the others will not have and are not acquired with YouTube success. My final thought is no one can create and execute a prank better than Cullen!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I don't think anyone can really explain why they aren't doing better. I think the general consensus is that they don't pander as much to the kiddie audience. I wish they did better, and I wish Samika did better. They're certainly the vloggers I like the best (even though Cullen bugs me sometimes-- but everyone knows that!)
I was watching today, and Gaines was interrupting a lot. Whatever happened to putting her hand on mommy or daddy's arm to let them know she wanted to say something? It was such a cool idea, and it seems to have just gone by the wayside. And how many think that the potty in Gaines' room is a good idea? I haven't heard of it for little ones, just old people, so I am really interested to hear people's thoughts on it. Is it a common thing for kids these days?

RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

Re: Potty in Gaines' room. I must have missed this! I don't specifically know the layout of their house, especially upstairs. Is there an actual bathroom near her room that doesn't require her to wander around in the dark or walk though C&J's bedroom to access?

It is pretty odd in the sense I have never seen this done. But she is so little to be pottytrained. Walking around a dark house to get to the bathroom might be an ordeal in the middle of the night if she wakes up and needs to go. I bet their next house will have en-suite bathrooms, or a half bath connecting the kids' rooms, etc.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”