HeatherNancine
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: E+E - It's all about ME! Part 20

Unread post by HeatherNancine »

HelloSweetie wrote:
Denlillehavfrue wrote:Just because Calvin is a toddler, they need to stop acting like everything he does is cute. His behavior with Penny (including sitting on her) is not cute. He is not "soft" with her what so ever.
This. Even the nicest dog can nip out of instinct if hurt or startked. Labs tend to be gentle, but kids need to learn that not all dogs are. One benefit to having a family pet is being able to watch and learn their body language. It isn't hard if you know what to look for (and respect what they are telling you).

How hard is it to teach your children to respect animals? I don't think my kids have ever tried to sit on the dog. Maybe I've just stopped them before they even had the chance...
Not hard at all. I had both my granddaughter and my nephew trained by 10 months old to hold their hands flat when approaching our cats and dogs to show the cat that they were going to "be soft". Not to say there wasn't a moment of enthusiasm where the fingers curled from the excitement of being about to touch an animal but I pulled their hands away until they were flat again. My granddaughter impressed the nurse at the pediatricians office by putting her hand flat when she saw a picture of a kitty and making the clicking noise I make to call my cats before she was a year old. This was absolutely imperative as her mother has seven dogs in the house and not all of them are nice. NOT teaching your kids to be kind to animals is a bad idea for both the animal and the kids. I just can't even...
OrangeMeow
Talker
Talker

Unread post by OrangeMeow »

Pretty soon Penny will have wider legs than Ellie!

natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

Vincere wrote:Ugh, Jared was extra obnoxious in this vlog.
Yes, I completely agree. It made we wonder if he really is specifically targeting everything he does on film at the 8-10 year old crowd (or younger). I sort of thought they might aim for something a little more in the middle (i.e. of course family/kid friendly but not condescendingly silly/immature) but it seems like maybe they've gone the way of Captain Kangaroo or something. I don't think Ellie is nearly as obnoxious in this way. In other ways, perhaps, but not this ridiculous... I felt embarrassed watching Jared and had to fast forward.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

Ducklings4 wrote:
ohmygoshyouguys wrote:Calvins teeth in today's thumbnail are horrifying. Is this damage just because of the pacifier?! He looks like a cross between a gremlin and mr burns from the simpsons!
I know I am going to Hell for liking this comment. They totally screwed up that kid's teeth with that stupid pacifier. Not Calvin's fault. Poor lamb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's not really anyone's fault. Lots of kids have pacifiers hanging out of their mouths for much longer than Calvin. I'm not a huge fan of pacifiers but I kind of think this must be more a hereditary thing than a pacifier thing. I think he's an adorable little boy regardless :)
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

natalka81 wrote:
Ducklings4 wrote:
ohmygoshyouguys wrote:Calvins teeth in today's thumbnail are horrifying. Is this damage just because of the pacifier?! He looks like a cross between a gremlin and mr burns from the simpsons!
I know I am going to Hell for liking this comment. They totally screwed up that kid's teeth with that stupid pacifier. Not Calvin's fault. Poor lamb

I think it's not really anyone's fault. Lots of kids have pacifiers hanging out of their mouths for much longer than Calvin. I'm not a huge fan of pacifiers but I kind of think this must be more a hereditary thing than a pacifier thing. I think he's an adorable little boy regardless :)
Those pacifiers aren't supposed to be used after 6 months anyway. If they had listened to the recommendations, it's possible his tweth wouldn't be so bad.
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Boredomatitsfinest »

Whenever Jared acts extra obnoxious it comes off as him trying to be like Shay because, in Jared's eyes, that's what helped make the Shaytards successful.

That's not naturally his personality and it shows. Even his siblings have made several comments on how much he has changed, which leads me to believe he has created a YouTube persona over the years. I also think this is why we see him act more chill when he's with his dad, because he defaults to his natural personality.

RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

natalka81 wrote: I think it's not really anyone's fault. Lots of kids have pacifiers hanging out of their mouths for much longer than Calvin. I'm not a huge fan of pacifiers but I kind of think this must be more a hereditary thing than a pacifier thing. I think he's an adorable little boy regardless :)
It's Calvin's first compliment! :D

I'm not a pacifier hater, and have known plenty of kids who kept theirs much longer than Calvin did. But those kids' pacifiers didn't have stuffed animals hanging off them. I hate Wubanubs!
Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

natalka81 wrote:
Ducklings4 wrote:

That pacifier they used had the stuff animal on it. The weight of the animal could have had an effect. They stopped using it shortly after his visit to the dentist.

Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

Boredomatitsfinest wrote:Whenever Jared acts extra obnoxious it comes off as him trying to be like Shay because, in Jared's eyes, that's what helped make the Shaytards successful.

That's not naturally his personality and it shows. Even his siblings have made several comments on how much he has changed, which leads me to believe he has created a YouTube persona over the years.
Where were his siblings comments made?
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
shelbyanne
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by shelbyanne »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 46a232.png[/img]

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

RecklessDisregard wrote:
natalka81 wrote: I think it's not really anyone's fault. Lots of kids have pacifiers hanging out of their mouths for much longer than Calvin. I'm not a huge fan of pacifiers but I kind of think this must be more a hereditary thing than a pacifier thing. I think he's an adorable little boy regardless :)

I'm not a pacifier hater, and have known plenty of kids who kept theirs much longer than Calvin did. But those kids' pacifiers didn't have stuffed animals hanging off them. I hate Wubanubs!
I actually like Calvin and think he is getting cuter. He is starting to look like Jackson. I think he just inherited his dads giant teeth. They are starting to straighten after the pacifier was dropped but the pacifier didn't make them bigger. I have said this many times.

His personality reminds me of my second. He had colic for 3 months and he is still whiny and clingy even at 14 months. We are working on it though. I feel bad for poor Calvin with his neglected neck and bad teeth. People are so cruel talking about him on here, I just can't think of a sweet little boy like that. And yes he is sweet! He is full of hugs and kisses. Yes he is whiny and part of that is his age, he knows what he wants and doesn't know how to ask for it yet. So what if his mom is a psycho. He didn't ask for that and doesn't deserve cruelty. People don't have a problem loving Jackson and the only reason I can think is that Jackson is a little cuter than Calvin.

workfromhomemom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by workfromhomemom »

I can't quote the link from above for some reason, but that's what I am referring to.

I am totally laughing because remember the infamous clip when Ellie told Jared to say friend's house instead of the babysitter for Jackson. I wonder if Penny is at a kennel and not a friend's house. LOL
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Scar2016 wrote:
Boredomatitsfinest wrote:Whenever Jared acts extra obnoxious it comes off as him trying to be like Shay because, in Jared's eyes, that's what helped make the Shaytards successful.

That's not naturally his personality and it shows. Even his siblings have made several comments on how much he has changed, which leads me to believe he has created a YouTube persona over the years.
Where were his siblings comments made?
Ugh, I was trying to remember specific instances as I wrote that post. It was never a main point of anything, but just little comments here and there in conversation, which makes it very hard to remember which specific vlogs they were in, unfortunately :/ Maybe someone with a better memory can remember at least one vlog where it's mentioned? Because I know there has been several different comments.

And, don't get me wrong, I do think Jared is naturally outgoing and peppy and all of that (as his family has also mentioned he has always been). I'm not inferring that they make it seem as if he's done a complete 180 from then to now, but they've made comments such as how "they can really see his personality come out like never before" or something along those lines (paraphrasing here). So, maybe "change" isn't the right word, but there's definitely been references to how Jared now (YouTube Jared), is not completely "natural Jared". Lol, I hope what I'm trying to get at makes sense.

(And yes, I'm aware this is extremely nitpicky, it's just something I find interesting Image)

workfromhomemom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by workfromhomemom »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:
RecklessDisregard wrote:

I actually like Calvin and think he is getting cuter. He is starting to look like Jackson. I think he just inherited his dads giant teeth. They are starting to straighten after the pacifier was dropped but the pacifier didn't make them bigger. I have said this many times.

His personality reminds me of my second. He had colic for 3 months and he is still whiny and clingy even at 14 months. We are working on it though. I feel bad for poor Calvin with his neglected neck and bad teeth. People are so cruel talking about him on here, I just can't think of a sweet little boy like that. And yes he is sweet! He is full of hugs and kisses. Yes he is whiny and part of that is his age, he knows what he wants and doesn't know how to ask for it yet. So what if his mom is a psycho. He didn't ask for that and doesn't deserve cruelty. People don't have a problem loving Jackson and the only reason I can think is that Jackson is a little cuter than Calvin.

I agree with you. I think it's easy to take our dislike of Ellie onto Calvin, which isn't right. Jackson though exudes sweetness though and he is hard not to like. I don't think mean things should be said about Calvin though.
smellycat801
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by smellycat801 »

I was irrationally annoyed by Jared today, Ellie is a witch, and Calvin bugs me, which is Ellie's fault. And my heart breaks for Jackson :(

Also, the night before Jackson's birthday when Ellie and Jared are down in the play room and Jared asks for a pizza
Ellie says "He has not a pizza."
Really Ellie? I promise, not all Utahns are that uneducated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Last edited by smellycat801 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
smellycat801
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by smellycat801 »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper

MommaLindsey2 wrote: His personality reminds me of my second. He had colic for 3 months and he is still whiny and clingy even at 14 months. We are working on it though. I feel bad for poor Calvin with his neglected neck and bad teeth. People are so cruel talking about him on here, I just can't think of a sweet little boy like that. And yes he is sweet! He is full of hugs and kisses. Yes he is whiny and part of that is his age, he knows what he wants and doesn't know how to ask for it yet. So what if his mom is a psycho. He didn't ask for that and doesn't deserve cruelty. People don't have a problem loving Jackson and the only reason I can think is that Jackson is a little cuter than Calvin.

You are so right, thanks for putting this into perspective!

I think that because of your own experience, it makes it easier for you to like Cal. I think that my distaste for Calvin comes solely from my feelings toward Ellie (and I think this is the case for a lot of others here too, but I can't speak for others).

Of course a whiney kid isn't particularly appealing, but I think the topic tends to get taken to another level on this board because of the way Ellie acts toward Cal and in turn, the way she acts toward Jackson. Calvin's like a little extension of Ellie, which leads to him absorbing a lot of misdirected "hate" too.

But no matter how bad I feel about disliking an innocent toddler, I don't think I can help but cringe a little when they show scenes of him Image

RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

MommaLindsey2 wrote: I actually like Calvin and think he is getting cuter. He is starting to look like Jackson. I think he just inherited his dads giant teeth. They are starting to straighten after the pacifier was dropped but the pacifier didn't make them bigger. I have said this many times.

I am really not a fan of Calvin and feel pretty guilty for disliking such a small child. It does seem cruel to criticize a 1 yr old for things totally out of his control, including his appearance. I don't personally make jokes about the way he looks, but I would be lying if I said I'm never amused when others do. I realize that if there is a hell, I'm probably going there.

But I have to say, for the record, that I don't really agree that all the dislike of Calvin stems from his being less attractive than Jackson. It's because his personality is hard to take, he's just not a bright easygoing Motivational Toddler, and the comparison with Jackson's personality and behavior is really unflattering. Also we have watched Ellie transform from a young mother of modest means who lived and breathed for Jackson, to a snotty bitch whose annoyance with Jackson and preference for Calvin is palpable. Their channel changed in really negative ways specifically starting around Calvin's birth. Ellie's love for C and apparent irritation/impatience with J have caused a lot of people to compensate with sympathy and love for a sweet, easy to love little guy who doesn't deserve to be the family scapegoat versus C's golden child.

Basically I feel like Calvin is just not appealing or easy to love. People who have children of their own with traits simmilar to C are probably more prone to be sympathetic to him and find him endearing. And in the real world, children come in all shapes and sizes and personalities. But E+J have made themselves and their children public figures and the subject of entertainment and even hate-watching without consideration for the fact that not every child is going to be appealing to every viewer. That's been exacerbated by Ellie's blatant favoritism.

My educated guess is that if J and C's roles were swapped, this board would be filled with sympathy for C, even if he looked and acted the same as he does now. Though of course, it's hard to say how much of his behavior and personality have been shaped by Ellie's devotion to and selection of him as the favorite.

Personal Story Warning - I realize a lot of things have changed in the last 25-30 years in terms of the way people relate to infants/children and our expectations for parenting children who might be more difficult or "high needs." And I am probably being old-fashioned or unevolved or whatever... But I have a younger brother who I suppose might be considered "high needs" today. He was a clingy, temperamental baby with separation anxiety from our mom, and no interest in our dad, who grew into an ADHD child with a strong personality and very loud voice. I see a lot of parallels with Calvin there, and we of course loved him to pieces because we were a family. But the traits described were something to overcome as opposed to indulge and favor. He has grown into a caring, handsome man with healthy relationships and zero entitlement issues... But a lot of effort and work went into his development (which did not consist of indulging him or applauding his whining/tantrums as being "cute.") I realize this is a dated perspective in some ways, but it's at least an explanation of where I'm coming from.

Sorry for the novel! Anyway, I do agree he inherited some unfortunate teeth. I hope E+J's success lasts long enough to pay for the orthodontist bills. It is really sad and humiliating for low-income kids to come of age with crooked teeth that aren't their fault.
Pency
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pency »

LOL! I noticed today that Ellie purchased the YETI cooler. Yesterday "Do I WANT it, but do I NEED it?" The answer is no, Ellie. You did not NEED a $300 cooler to drive to Washington. It's fine if you want it, but it's not a necessity.

She drives me nuts. Ugh.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Some kids are just annoying. If you can honestly say you've never met one and thought that, then you're either a saint or you haven't been around kids much.

Whiny, spoiled kids aren't exactly the first kids invited to play dates.

I have a whiny, clingy toddler as well, but that doesn't mean I expect the world to have as much patience with him as I do. I'm desperately trying to break what I see as bad habits.... not enable/encourage them like Ellie.

Personality is a strong factor for me and I prefer Jackson's over Calvin. It has nothing to do with his looks or his mother. After all, Jackson does have the same mother so praising him is still praising Ellie.

Return to “Ellie and Jared”