Bonnie and Joel: Spreading all the HERPES Part 8

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Spreading all the HERPES Part 8

Unread post by tratra58 »

natalka81 wrote:Is Cody in kindergarten? Isn't that the first year of school? Sorry I'm in Canada and it's different here and I am a bit confused. If Cody is 5 1/2, which I think he is, then he seems to be doing pretty well with his letters and stuff. I'm not saying anyone is saying he is not, but I'm just confused in this whole discussion... Is it that Boston isn't getting enough education at home or that Cody isn't or both? I am a HUGE education person (anal to the point of being annoying!) and I totally agree that preschool programming is very important for kids. Are Bonnie's kids not getting ANY? Honestly I think teaching numbers and letters and stuff to preschoolers isn't as important as reading to your child and spending time imagining, creating, etc. I wonder if that's happening in their home, though....
There seems to be a lot of emphasis on formal music education in the Griffiths family which usually in my view, to goes hand in hand with attention to academics, but maybe not so much with these folks???
School, or at least institutional schooling, just doesn't seem to be the priority.
For myself, who have seen Cody earlier on before entering kindergarten, he seem a bit behind. Boston skills I would say he watches a lot of television from what they show.

Yes, I was thinking Cody with a bit of practice would improve and was doing fairly well with his writing and drawing.

My point is not solely directed at the Hoellein family, but really the state of Utah. The comparisons with school and Hoellein is that they are average in what they teach their kids prior to entering school. Other parts of the US, kids are much further ahead either by having a year or two of preschool and/or all day kindergarten and/or parents who take the time to begin teaching skills at home. It wouldn't be usual to see some kids entering kindergarten reading and writing these days.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I don't think my pediatrician has specifically told me but I do my own research. She has 4 kids and has had multiple people tell her in comments i'm sure. She still puts him down for his nap and bedtime with a bottle. That is ridiculous to me. He is attached to a binky and a blanket and stuffed animal. He doesn't need a bottle along with those other comfort items at night. He would probably go to sleep just fine without it. She could at least replace the milk with water to start with.

Hopefully, they have good dental insurance.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Boredomatitsfinest wrote:I agree with everything that's been said so far about the education in the Utah/Mormon community, but would like to add that I think it is especially exaggerated in the Griffiths family. It is pretty clear that education is not/was not ever a top priority in that family.

It's easy to generalize their lack of focus on education and blame it on them being from Utah, however, Kevin, Landon and Jared have all received college education (at the least) and it seems to be that their families instilled in them some sense of the importance of education. It is clear that this is not the case for the Griffith's girls (I would be interested to know what level of education Beau has/what his occupation is, as I am not familiar).

With that being said, I think it really just comes down to how they were raised. Bonnie probably sees no need to teach her kids at home because 1) she does not view education as important as most families often do and 2) she thinks they will get all of the education that they need in school. (Not defending her, I think it's ridiculous.)

The fact that the Griffiths family does not value education is all speculation and opinion of course, but judging by the plethora of instances that exemplify their lack of education, it's difficult for me to view it any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about Joel who is home now...what is part in educating their children since by the Utah norm standards, the men will provide for their families.

I actually think Joel has been the one at the table with the kids doing homework so perhaps he'll make the difference. Bonnie, I agree with you and hair and makeup is her thing:)
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Vincere wrote:Bonnie just said it takes her one hour to edit a video!
And then she cries on camera that they work so hard and don't have time!
I heard that too and her vlogs really show the lack of time she puts into them. But it seems to be ok since she is still bringing in the cash.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

tratra58 wrote:
natalka81 wrote:Is Cody in kindergarten? Isn't that the first year of school? Sorry I'm in Canada and it's different here and I am a bit confused. If Cody is 5 1/2, which I think he is, then he seems to be doing pretty well with his letters and stuff. I'm not saying anyone is saying he is not, but I'm just confused in this whole discussion... Is it that Boston isn't getting enough education at home or that Cody isn't or both? I am a HUGE education person (anal to the point of being annoying!) and I totally agree that preschool programming is very important for kids. Are Bonnie's kids not getting ANY? Honestly I think teaching numbers and letters and stuff to preschoolers isn't as important as reading to your child and spending time imagining, creating, etc. I wonder if that's happening in their home, though....
There seems to be a lot of emphasis on formal music education in the Griffiths family which usually in my view, to goes hand in hand with attention to academics, but maybe not so much with these folks???
School, or at least institutional schooling, just doesn't seem to be the priority.
For myself, who have seen Cody earlier on before entering kindergarten, he seem a bit behind. Boston skills I would say he watches a lot of television from what they show.

Yes, I was thinking Cody with a bit of practice would improve and was doing fairly well with his writing and drawing.

My point is not solely directed at the Hoellein family, but really the state of Utah. The comparisons with school and Hoellein is that they are average in what they teach their kids prior to entering school. Other parts of the US, kids are much further ahead either by having a year or two of preschool and/or all day kindergarten and/or parents who take the time to begin teaching skills at home. It wouldn't be usual to see some kids entering kindergarten reading and writing these days.
Yes, I thought that was what you were getting at, and I agree. Thanks for clarifying! :)
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

She leaves milk with Lincoln overnight ? Poor kid is going to get milk rot.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Utah schools compared to other states:

http://www.edweek.org/ew/qc/2016/2016-s ... s-map.html

Utah's lack of spending on education:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2579711-155/ ... last-again
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

It feels like we hijacked Bonnie's thread.
Should we make a new thread in General to discuss LDS stuff?
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

natalka81 wrote:
tratra58 wrote:

Yes, I thought that was what you were getting at, and I agree. Thanks for clarifying! :)
Sure, and the US is behind many countries in the world in regards to education rankings, including Canada.
PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by PostyMcPosterston »

I don't think it has anything to do with Bonnie or Joel really, but their children speak really well! Especially Boston. I was so shocked how close in age he was with Oliver Lanning.

Felt I had to mention a positive about those kids lol.

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

PostyMcPosterston wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with Bonnie or Joel really, but their children speak really well! Especially Boston. I was so shocked how close in age he was with Oliver Lanning.

I agree...they seem to do average or better than average in different skills.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

[quote="Vincere"]It feels like we hijacked Bonnie's thread.
Should we make a new thread in General to discuss LDS stuff?[/quot]

I am so sorry....I am done.

I don't want to make more work for you. I didn’t know there was another thread.

Last edited by tratra58 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

PostyMcPosterston wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with Bonnie or Joel really, but their children speak really well! Especially Boston. I was so shocked how close in age he was with Oliver Lanning.

I agree.

I also disagree about how far behind Cody was when he started.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

tratra58 wrote:
Vincere wrote:It feels like we hijacked Bonnie's thread.
I am so sorry....I am done:)

It wasn't targeted at you.
I also posted stuff about marriage at byu that is not related to Bonnie's vlogs.
I thought that having a general topic more people would participate who don't watch her.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Vincere wrote:
tratra58 wrote:

I also posted stuff about marriage at byu that is not related to Bonnie's vlogs.
I thought that having a general topic more people would participate who don't watch her.
I think the mods would appreciate that. Or we could just use the comparison thread since it's Griffith's related anyway.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Vincere wrote:
tratra58 wrote:

If you like. I think Utah is an interesting state with the LDS culture.

Thank you for your assistance.

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Kryptonite wrote:A general topic on LDS subjects is a wonderful idea. Especially considering that 9/10 YouTubers/vloggers are Mormon! :)
Thank you for your assistance.

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

tratra58 wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think my pediatrician has specifically told me but I do my own research. She has 4 kids and has had multiple people tell her in comments i'm sure. She still puts him down for his nap and bedtime with a bottle. That is ridiculous to me. He is attached to a binky and a blanket and stuffed animal. He doesn't need a bottle along with those other comfort items at night. He would probably go to sleep just fine without it. She could at least replace the milk with water to start with.

Hopefully, they have good dental insurance.[/quote]
The three older ones have all had cavities.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Ducklings4 wrote:

Hopefully, they have good dental insurance.[/quote]

All the Griffith's have had cavities. It doesn't necessarily mean it's all because of baby bottle mouth. This might be a Linc-specific habit she's let develop. Ellie had 9 cavities filled over two visits. They all acted like this was completely normal. Hers definitely wasn't baby bottle mouth!

I think the bacterial makeup in their saliva doesn't help, and we all know the Griffith's share that willingly, so I'm more surprised that Jackson didn't have cavities than I was the Hoellein kids did.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:
Ducklings4 wrote:

Hopefully, they have good dental insurance.

All the Griffith's have had cavities. It doesn't necessarily mean it's all because of baby bottle mouth. This might be a Linc-specific habit she's let develop. Ellie had 9 cavities filled over two visits. They all acted like this was completely normal. Hers definitely wasn't baby bottle mouth!

I think the bacterial makeup in their saliva doesn't help, and we all know the Griffith's share that willingly, so I'm more surprised that Jackson didn't have cavities than I was the Hoellein kids did.[/quote]

tratra58
Yeah...but why not try to prevent (or make worst) tooth decay if you can and not give a baby a bottle when they are going for a nap or to bed at night.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”