OkBaby: Part 8

ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: OkBaby: Part 8

Unread post by ACarATorchAJess »

Are they ever gonna name this poor child? Is it that hard to name a baby??

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
wolflily23
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by wolflily23 »

They said to Levi they want him potty trained because his little sister is coming soon. What do you think that means??? Exactly what I just said.
LOL I said "maybe I missed it" I honestly don't pay that close attention to their vlogs so that's why I indicated I might have missed something being said. No need to get butthurt.
alexandramarie
Talker
Talker

Unread post by alexandramarie »

Things have definitely changed because my mom said that it is normal to start potty training at 3 ideally 2 15 months in my opinion is a bit early, but better late than never I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kitina13
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kitina13 »

I always think people that potty train their kids are crazy
I just wait till they do it on their own, about 2 and a half. Lol but in all seriousness I feel like right now is a bad time since mini bug could literally come tomorrow haha
Neonbatsintrees
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Neonbatsintrees »

I think they named her Novalee.

Also, I hope Jess's situation makes OKbaby think. It's a serious situation that a lot of people can learn from. But we all know that OKbaby is a serial offender on unsafe sleeping situations.

And this isn't in anyway playing down Jess's situation. That's a scary place to be in.
blahblahblahhh
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by blahblahblahhh »

Neonbatsintrees wrote:I think they named her Novalee.

Also, I hope Jess's situation makes OKbaby think. It's a serious situation that a lot of people can learn from. But we all know that OKbaby is a serial offender on unsafe sleeping situations.

And this isn't in anyway playing down Jess's situation. That's a scary place to be in.
Is there a reason you think that? Have they mentioned that name? I hope not, it's hideous and also pretty sure what Catelynn from Teen Mom named her kid.

sheebz
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by sheebz »

blahblahblahhh wrote:

Is there a reason you think that? Have they mentioned that name? I hope not, it's hideous and also pretty sure what Catelynn from Teen Mom named her kid.

oscar accidentally said it in a younow a long time ago. they said they're not using it anymore but who knows if they said that just to make people not think it is the name anymore. also they already know how they're going to announce it so they would have done it by now if it was novalee. it's down to 2 and i think that's quite silly that it's taking them so long.
mydietsucks_1
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by mydietsucks_1 »

If your child is ready to use a toilet, potty training should not take months to complete. If a child is ready they can be used to it in a week or two. To me, if it hit the month mark and they still weren't getting it, id wait a while longer until they were more ready.
prbeca
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by prbeca »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:I only know one child that potty trained before 18 months. That was my nephew but he has off the charts iq and was speaking full sentences before he was 1. Kids are not ready at Levi's age especially when they just learned how to walk and can only say a couple of words.
This is just Kyra and Oscar being lazy because they had two babies so close together, maybe they should have waited a little longer to have a second if they were worried about things like this.

My oldest sister was walking and fully potty trained by 18 months.
My older sister was fully potty trained at 20 months.
I was fully potty trained at 22 months.

None of us have had any "issues" because we were potty trained "early". I will start potty training my babies at 18 months.
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

mydietsucks_1 wrote:If your child is ready to use a toilet, potty training should not take months to complete. If a child is ready they can be used to it in a week or two. To me, if it hit the month mark and they still weren't getting it, id wait a while longer until they were more ready.
I agree, it took less than 2 weeks to potty train both of my kids. Personally, if they weren't picking it up at all by the end of one week (even less, a couple of days) they arent ready and wait a little while.

blahblahblahhh
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by blahblahblahhh »

sheebz wrote:
blahblahblahhh wrote:

oscar accidentally said it in a younow a long time ago. they said they're not using it anymore but who knows if they said that just to make people not think it is the name anymore. also they already know how they're going to announce it so they would have done it by now if it was novalee. it's down to 2 and i think that's quite silly that it's taking them so long.
Ugh. I hope they don't use that. For how immature and dumb they are I was surprised they gave Levi such a lovely name. I was hoping they wouldn't go the made up route for this baby.

metroparks
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by metroparks »

I'm not sure if it's only a Europe thing or what, but in my country it is actually considered rather unhealthy for children to be wearing diapers for too long. 2,5-3 is defiantly considered way too long, and even slightly weird. Doctors usually recommend introducing potty training about the same time as the kid starts walking. Of course keeping in mind that all children are different, and if they are not ready they shouldn't be pushed.

If you're asking the reasons why it's considered unhealthy then mostly damage it can cause to reproductive organs due to store-bought diapers nature of not being breathable, keeping in moisture and exes warmth, as well as harsh chemicals used in some brands. Wearing diapers for too long has also been linked to abnormalities in posture, because there's extra bulk in between their legs, which causes them to keep their legs differently. Of course it will take time until children can learn to hold their urges, but the sooner they realize that peeing/pooping in your pants equals uncomfort, the sooner they're eager to learn how to prevent that from happening.
So through that perspective I actually find this to be a perfect time (if we don't include the fact that they have a new baby on the way, and most likely wont be there to support their son enough). By observing Levi in the vlog on his first day of sitting on the potty - I'd say he's definitely ready, he is a very bright kid, and enjoys being active. But it is crucial to have his parents there for him to not ruin this for him, and to give praise just for him trying, even if it doesn't work out, and even if it takes a super long time.

I actually spoke to my mother about something similar to this and as it turns out I was actually a miracle baby crawling to and on to the potty myself at 6-7 months old, and was fully potty trained at 9 m/o. I can't even imagine a kid this small doing that, but apparently I was just that over those soviet-time muslim-cloth reusable diapers. :D

Also props to Kyra for getting him this cute mini version of a toilet. I know I've had siblings who always wanted to sit on the "big boy potty", but were just too little for it. Now he has his own, and can understand better what he's expected to do.

And even tho I really don't like Oscar in most things he's doing and how he's interacting, it was very cool of him to sit on the toilet with Levi. Although it may sound a little gross, but setting an example, and letting your kid know what to do or how things work, is actually very positive.

Also another weird thing I've noticed scrolling through this forum is that you find it strange that they haven't chosen or announced a name for her yet. In my country it's actually mostly common that parents don't share their babies name until s/he is born. Some older people might even think of it as bad luck.
And a lot of the parents will decide on the name after they've seen him/her. Actually on that note I find it very weird to look at Americans who usually decide their newborns name months in advance. Haha! :D
Are you required to fill in the birth certificate in the hospital? We usually have a few weeks to do that, that includes dad's name, and deciding on whose last name the baby will have.
MissKeitz
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by MissKeitz »

[quote="metroparks"]

Looks like we are from near countries. i was potty trained by 1 and doing same to my 8 month old. Kindergarden starts when they are 1.5 years old and have to potty trained by then. i really dont understand lazy americans who wait for several years.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ACarATorchAJess »

I think the next feed should be named "OKBabyNoName"

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
Bayareamom
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Bayareamom »

Same here. Potty trained well before the age of two - somewhere around 16 months and 18 months. I think Oscar and Kyra are doing great so far w/the potty training; Levi is definitely ready and is handling it well so far.
missy-1010
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by missy-1010 »

MissKeitz wrote:
metroparks wrote:
Looks like we are from near countries. i was potty trained by 1 and doing same to my 8 month old. Kindergarden starts when they are 1.5 years old and have to potty trained by then. i really dont understand lazy americans who wait for several years.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
Where are you both from? This is interesting to me. I would love to learn a bit more about parenting styles where you are.

soul_in_a_earthsuit
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by soul_in_a_earthsuit »

Bayareamom wrote:Same here. Potty trained well before the age of two - somewhere around 16 months and 18 months. I think Oscar and Kyra are doing great so far w/the potty training; Levi is definitely ready and is handling it well so far.
same here :)
alliehaines
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by alliehaines »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:Here is an article. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1424826

I fully believe in waiting until a child can communicate with words that they have to pee or poop. My son was just potty trained at 3 years old. Yes that is later than most but it was a fairly easy process that he understands fully and he is happy about it.

Also I see nothing wrong with introducing Levi to the potty but I really hope they don't start formally potty training him this early.

Im a toddler teacher at a private school and our class currently ranges from 16 months- 25 months and 7 of the 15 children are fully potty trained and every child can all use the words "pee" "poopoo" "diaper" (for when they need to be changed), and can easily communicate with us if they need to go. Its perfectly healthy to start early and I myself was potty trained at 18 months. If communication is what youre worried about, maybe the parents that choose to do this should just start the words related to it earlier on and make sure they understand so they pick up on what to say and when.
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

OkBaby: Part 8

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

alliehaines wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:Here is an article. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1424826

I fully believe in waiting until a child can communicate with words that they have to pee or poop. My son was just potty trained at 3 years old. Yes that is later than most but it was a fairly easy process that he understands fully and he is happy about it.

Also I see nothing wrong with introducing Levi to the potty but I really hope they don't start formally potty training him this early.

Im a toddler teacher at a private school and our class currently ranges from 16 months- 25 months and 7 of the 15 children are fully potty trained and every child can all use the words "pee" "poopoo" "diaper" (for when they need to be changed), and can easily communicate with us if they need to go. Its perfectly healthy to start early and I myself was potty trained at 18 months. If communication is what youre worried about, maybe the parents that choose to do this should just start the words related to it earlier on and make sure they understand so they pick up on what to say and when.
Are you in the United States? Just curious where all the early potty trainers are from. Everyone I know trains from 2-3. My 15 month old says poopoo but that doesn't mean I'm going to potty train him or that I think he is ready.

alliehaines
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by alliehaines »

sheebz wrote:
blahblahblahhh wrote:

I think the name thing is the only think I agree with them on. Theyre actually taking their time and putting in effort to thinking about it and making sure that it's one that is perfect to them. But for all we know they have it and just want don't want to say the name. I think that's fine too, but if that's the case I think that they aren't saying that because they don't want people to be like "oh you're so selfish" for keeping the name a secret. Even though I personally want to know cuz I LOVE hearing newborn names, I'm willing to wait.

Plus, it would suck to rush, announce it, then change it and have people be mad at the switch or stick with it just so people wouldn't be mad.

Return to “OKBaby”