JesssFam Part 85: Addie's Apnea

tvobaby27
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Addie Is Alive (No Thanks To Jess) Pt. 85

Unread post by tvobaby27 »

Well I am just glad she admitted this was an eye opener and that no matter how many kids she has, anything can happen. I guess we will see if she stops with all the blankets and makes Addie stay on her back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yue195
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Yue195 »

She put Addie in a dangerous position- on her belly, face down in a mattress, surrounded by blankets. No excuses.

If they didn't find that she had sleep apnea, how was she going explain what happened? It was dumb and dangerous and she should acknowledge she made it a greater risk.
In the name of the moon, I shall gossip about you.
blahblahblahhh
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by blahblahblahhh »

As far as the title, I think it's in poor taste and as far as I saw in the last thread it was never suggested at all. Whoever made this thread just did it.

Maisie_Claire
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Maisie_Claire »

I'd be willing to bet this wouldn't have happened if she was on her back, sleep apnea or not.

Did she say whether the sleep study was done on both back and stomach? It'd be interesting to see the difference.

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

Right. I just want to know if she told the doctors the truth about how addie was sleeping that day

snarkyblonde
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snarkyblonde »

I'm seeing a lot of comments about babies sleeping long stretches. While it's true that infant guidelines are for anywhere from 10-16 hours of sleep per night (dependent on age), this is intended to include wake ups for eating, whether nursing or bottles. Even after he gained back his birth weight, my ped didn't recommend I allow my son to sleep longer than a 5 hour stretch without eating until he was at least 2 months old.

Of course there are exceptions, and I'm sure I'm going to get several replies with people telling me I'm wrong because their kid sleeps 12 hour stretches at 2 months old, but this is just what I was advised by multiple doctors, nurses, and even a lactation consultant I saw for a while. A kid sleeping 10 hours from such a young age would worry me. It's developmentally appropriate for a baby to wake 1-3 times a night for the first year of life.
Random19
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Random19 »

#freekyson
notsocrunchy
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by notsocrunchy »

literallywhat wrote:
Ripley wrote:Ok wait. Did her heart stop? Or she stopped breathing.? You only do cpr if your heart actually stops...
You can do rescue breaths but not compressions if the person's heart is beating but they aren't breathing. I don't know if that is still technically considered CPR. I think that is probably what she meant by CPR, I'd probably still call that CPR.
Sorry if this has been addressed already, I may have missed it as I've just skimmed through 5 pages of pointless arguing and bickering over where fault lies in this situation and honestly, at this point, it doesn't matter. A baby nearly died, thankfully she DIDNT, and that will be with her parents forever.

I mostly lurk on YTMD for my own entertainment but needed to speak now to hopefully prevent the spread of misinformation regarding CPR (god forbid anyone reading here should ever find themselves in a situation where they need to apply it). I will disclaimer - I am Australian and acknowledge that the standards may be different between here and the US. Having said that - Cardio (heart) Pulmonary (lungs) resuscitation (CPR) is commenced (cardiac compressions AND rescue breaths) whenever a person is unresponsive and NOT BREATHING. The standard here now days is to commence cardiac compressions regardless of whether or not the person has a pulse. This is for a number of reasons, but mostly because they found people were wasting valuable resus time by attempting to find a pulse (which can be difficult to do when untrained, especially in infants and children).

Additionally, in Addie's case, she stopped breathing. Respiratory arrest (stopping breathing) is the number one cause of CARDIAC ARREST (heart stopping) in children. You can see how both rescue breaths and chest compressions are vital in such a situation. I mostly wanted to point out that it is very incorrect to say that applying chest compressions whilst a heart is still beating can be harmful. As I said, in an unresponsive, non-breathing person (at least here in Aus) , CPR is standard of care for first responders, regardless of if they have a pulse.

Would be great to know if the standards are different in the US - any fellow nursing/medical people out there?

It's great to see jess encouraging others to learn CPR...might save somebody's life one day!

te4cup
Talker
Talker

Unread post by te4cup »

WheresMyCoffee wrote:
smom12 wrote:All I have to say, before the fans take over this thread is I feel bad for Kaden and Addie. And yes Jess must have been scared and it sucks. But I'm still not convinced her sleeping habits have nothing to do with it.

I'll NEVER understand how anyone can use their children to make money, regardless of the situation. It's disgusting, especially capitalizing on a very bad event.
"Here's a vague IG post. Tune into my video to learn the ending ". Who does this, really?? She could have posted " Addie has sleep apnea. We are so relieved" but there is no money in that.

Go on, defend your hero.

I have no idea why you are so worked up about a complete stranger, honestly. Listen, I agree with you. I could never ever in a million years make money off of my childrens privacy. All I am saying is hav some fucking empathy for another human being. JFC.
Yeah, seriously smom. Of everyone commenting on the thread, your replies are bothering me the most. Just because we're empathising with someone who almost lost their child, doesn't make her our hero? Nobody is defending her, but empathising. That just makes us human. Nobody wishes bad will on Jess or her kids, you'd have to be a monster to do so. Empathy is a normal human emotion, even for those you don't particularly like. I nearly lost my daughter twice. I know how it feels. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Yeah, it's a shitty thing to monetise the video, but that's their income, their way of paying the hospital bills. Would I do it? hell no. But that's the decision she made when she had kids in order to earn money and support them - especially at time like this were she needs the money most. She's not going to change that decision based on the content of the video, because that's less money she gets to pay for her kids needs. It's tacky. But those kids deserve good things, so she's gotta do what she's gotta to do pay for them. I don't think monetising it means she cares about money more than her kids, or whatever you're implying. It's just her (tacky) job and she's in too deep to change it now. I don't agree with Jess, but I can see why she likely did it. Bills have to be paid. If there's a way for me to provide for my child right in front of me, I'm gonna take it til I find something better. Not that I think Jess will find something better any time soon.
Lisey26
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Lisey26 »

Mess is so desperate to have a doctor say this wasn't her fault. I guess doctors may be kinda useful after all, turns out she may even need them sometimes. Has she ever updated on kaden's suspect autism?

Sent from my H60-L04 using Tapatalk
Lisey26
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Lisey26 »

Also, Jess said Chris only knew how to perform CPR on an adult. I'm 100℅ sure the procedure is rather different on infants up to 3 years old or a certain weight (pointless to say how much, it'd be in kilograms lol). I think you'd supposed to turn the baby with its back up and compress the back instead of the chest? I may be mistaken, I took a 2hours class but it's so blurred in my mind. Anyway, CPR usually breaks come ribs. Hopefully Addie has no such damage and, most importantly, no brain damage.

GetYouTubesTied
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by GetYouTubesTied »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but how were they able to land on the apnea diagnosis if Addie, as Jess said, didn't have any such episode while under observation?
Mamafirst
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Mamafirst »

I agree with all of those saying the title of the thread is awful. It really is.
(Is there anyway to change it? I hate reading it honestly).
That being said, unless someone here says "I'm glad this happened/Jess deserves it" or something else equally appalling, I'm not going to give them shit for it. People here are pissed because Jess likely contributed (even if just a smidge) to this episode. Obviously Jess couldn't have known what was wrong with Addie, but I have my serious doubts that this would have happened to this extent if she had been sleeping properly. We will never truly know.
But I think what pisses me and others off so fucking much is that Jess is SO not willing to except any responsibility whatsoever about anything. She is constantly mentioning that it couldn't have been prevented but fails to admit that the situation MIGHT have been less likely if she had followed the recommended guidelines in regards to sleeping. She doesn't. She doesn't mention anything about how she probably should've been more careful with how Addie slept regardless of the diagnosis. She just keeps ignoring that aspect of this whole thing.
I can almost guarantee that the doctors/nurses had Addie sleep on her back during her stay at the hospital and stressed how important it is for her to do so. Other than a monitor what else are the recommendations from the doctors? Did she mention those? Nope. Although I'd bet they'd be to put Addie to sleep on her back, on a firm surface, with no blankets or other things around her. She doesn't want to tell us that though because she knows she will get shit for how careless she's been in the past and it will make her look bad.
Good for Jess and Chris for spreading the importance of taking an infant CPR class, but for the love of God Jess, spread the importance of safe sleeping practices while you're at it! You know damn well those doctors are telling you how important it is to follow those guidelines now that you know Addie's problem.
Also, I don't care what your job is. I don't even really give a damn about vlogging in general, but making money off of your baby's near death experience is gross. It is. There is no excuse for it. She could've made one video about stressing the importance of infant CPR while also mentioning briefly what happened to Addie if she wanted. She didn't have to make drawn out posts and amp up the drama factor. Have some freaking dignity, Jess.

webbygurl626
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by webbygurl626 »

Lisey26 wrote:Also, Jess said Chris only knew how to perform CPR on an adult. I'm 100℅ sure the procedure is rather different on infants up to 3 years old or a certain weight (pointless to say how much, it'd be in kilograms lol). I think you'd supposed to turn the baby with its back up and compress the back instead of the chest? I may be mistaken, I took a 2hours class but it's so blurred in my mind. Anyway, CPR usually breaks come ribs. Hopefully Addie has no such damage and, most importantly, no brain damage.

Yes infant cpr is different and I don't think he had to perform chest compressions just a rescue breath! But u have to be very careful with infants and overblowing and causing severe damage, they have tiny lungs and don't need much air! Chest compressions on an infant u only use two fingers and u push on the chest, the back would be for back blows for a choking infant. Hopefully they get everyone who watches the kids to take a cpr class!

notsocrunchy
Amateur
Amateur

Lisey26 wrote:Also, Jess said Chris only knew how to perform CPR on an adult. I'm 100℅ sure the procedure is rather different on infants up to 3 years old or a certain weight (pointless to say how much, it'd be in kilograms lol). I think you'd supposed to turn the baby with its back up and compress the back instead of the chest? I may be mistaken, I took a 2hours class but it's so blurred in my mind. Anyway, CPR usually breaks come ribs. Hopefully Addie has no such damage and, most importantly, no brain damage.

Nope, same ratio of chest compressions to breaths for all ages. Only difference is the amount of force used to compress the chest - it should be 2/3rds the depth of the chest so obviously more force required to do that in a 40yr old than a 2 month old. Also shouldn't tilt infants heads to give breaths due to the nature of their airway.

And in any case, when all else fails, we train people to remember to just "press hard and fast". Any attempt at CPR is better and more effective than no attempt. Perfect example: Addie was blue and unresponsive - any attempt (Chris applying whatever knowledge he had) was better than no attempt (panicking and doing nothing).

Again, I'mspeaking as an Australian nurse that has current experience in training people to perform CPR and has resuscitated more babies than you would care to know about. Someone please correct me if the standards are different in the US.

Blackswan
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Blackswan »

All I know is that I've been procrastinating to take a CPR class for about 4 years now. I think it's time I just get it done. Currently pregnant and have a 4 year old that since he was born I've been saying I need to take a class but never go.
D33f
Talker
Talker

Unread post by D33f »

After watching the video I find it disturbing how unapologetic Jessica is about everything that happened. If that were me I would be consumed with guilt over even the remote possibility that I did anything to exacerbate the situation (in this case the consequences of addie's apnea). She is seemingly turning her self doubt into righteousness because she's afraid of hearing "I told you so". Which is a shame because she has a platform of over 400k people who are listening to her confirm that beyond any reasonable doubt addie's sleep arrangements were not even remotely related to what happened to her. Such immaturity is shocking in a mother of 5.

notsocrunchy
Amateur
Amateur

Blackswan wrote:All I know is that I've been procrastinating to take a CPR class for about 4 years now. I think it's time I just get it done. Currently pregnant and have a 4 year old that since he was born I've been saying I need to take a class but never go.
Haha yep now is the time to do it then! If all that comes out of this epic Messica mess is that even one person takes the initiative to do a class and the one day saves someone's life then that's awesome.

Congrats on the impending arrival!

literallywhat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by literallywhat »

D33f wrote:After watching the video I find it disturbing how unapologetic Jessica is about everything that happened. If that were me I would be consumed with guilt over even the remote possibility that I did anything to exacerbate the situation (in this case the consequences of addie's apnea). She is seemingly turning her self doubt into righteousness because she's afraid of hearing "I told you so". Which is a shame because she has a platform of over 400k people who are listening to her confirm that beyond any reasonable doubt addie's sleep arrangements were not even remotely related to what happened to her. Such immaturity is shocking in a mother of 5.

Totally agree with this. When a child has an accident, most parents go back over everything they did and wonder if they could have prevented anything or if they did x differently maybe y wouldn't have happened. Usually, everyone has to convince them it wasn't their fault. But Jess seems to believe she has no responsibility in this.
daisy1000
Informer
Informer

Unread post by daisy1000 »

What proof do we have that Addie can roll over by herself besides Jess saying so in a few videos? Has she shown on video that Addie can roll over?

Return to “JesssFam”