Steps to Wander

fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Wander

Unread post by fossilfinger »

All of their video titles for the next three weeks are going to be clickbait to make us think June has been born. "Contractions?!?" "Going into Labor?" "Calling the Hospital!!" "Will We Get There on Time?"
valeryjackson
Talker
Talker

Unread post by valeryjackson »

I'm so annoyed of their video titles. Com'on her due date is in three weeks and she could also go overdue. I can't stand other three or four weeks of "last days as a couple/Contractions/ Going to the hospital soon"?
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

valeryjackson wrote:I'm so annoyed of their video titles. Com'on her due date is in three weeks and she could also go overdue. I can't stand other three or four weeks of "last days as a couple/Contractions/ Going to the hospital soon"?
Oh, you know where they learned that! When Missy was 36 weeks with Finn, they were "officially on baby watch". And it was clickbait like crazy. "New Family Member" (a snail) "Starting Labor at Disneyland", etc.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
kittypurry
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by kittypurry »

lmmomSD wrote:
valeryjackson wrote:I'm so annoyed of their video titles. Com'on her due date is in three weeks and she could also go overdue. I can't stand other three or four weeks of "last days as a couple/Contractions/ Going to the hospital soon"?
Oh, you know where they learned that! When Missy was 36 weeks with Finn, they were "officially on baby watch". And it was clickbait like crazy. "New Family Member" (a snail) "Starting Labor at Disneyland", etc.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
I was going to say the same thing about when DB were "officially on baby watch", Finn didn't come for another month!

What is baby watch supposed to even mean, exactly? It's not like they'll do anything differently now, labor gets more and more likely as time goes on but it's still pretty unlikely a low-risk FTM will go into labor spontaneously before the due date, especially not three whole weeks. It's just pure clickbait and hyping up the viewers.
Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

Some major eye rolls today during the whiny snuggle fest about how it's their last few weeks as a couple. Omg, it was so over the top and immature.

Also it's not that hard to figure out when you should clean your house. Do a deep clean now and just keep touching it up over the next few weeks. Have Corbin change the sheets on the bed while you're in labor and before you leave for the hospital, it's not that big of a deal.

Maybe Kelsey is stressing over these trivial matters because she's bored and has nothing else to do with her time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Nothankyou wrote: Also it's not that hard to figure out when you should clean your house. Do a deep clean now and just keep touching it up over the next few weeks. Have Corbin change the sheets on the bed while you're in labor and before you leave for the hospital, it's not that big of a deal.
While I was watching I was thinking, "How long does it take to change sheets?" They should even have time to wash and change the sheets, assuming Kelsey's labor isn't ridiculously fast. She does realize that she shouldn't just go to the hospital the second she feels one Braxton Hicks contraction, right...?
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

WTF! They are flying someone in to shoot newborn photos?? FFS, they live in Portland! I can name at least 10 people I personally know who are professional photogs. Corbin was in the news business (well, for a few weeks), so he should know someone who could do it. These two are bonkers!! (Could Missy be using a friend of hers and paying for the photo session and flight?) How can they afford to fly someone in just for photos? Seems like a big expense when I know there are great photogs in PDX.
melonyogloo
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by melonyogloo »

Another commerical. Did they finally find a sponsor for rental car after complaining about buses amd Lyft?
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

melonyogloo wrote:Another commerical. Did they finally find a sponsor for rental car after complaining about buses amd Lyft?
Also, they rented that car to drive a whopping TWO miles. :roll: :roll: :roll: I looked up that car service and it seems pretty expensive. It's $.49 a minute while driving and then $.30 a minute when you are just parked. I've never done a short-term car rental like that, but it seems like the fees add up really fast. If they had the car for three days, like they suggested for getting to the hospital when the baby comes, it would be $250! That seems like a lot!!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

ewokfan11 wrote:WTF! They are flying someone in to shoot newborn photos?? FFS, they live in Portland! I can name at least 10 people I personally know who are professional photogs. Corbin was in the news business (well, for a few weeks), so he should know someone who could do it. These two are bonkers!! (Could Missy be using a friend of hers and paying for the photo session and flight?) How can they afford to fly someone in just for photos? Seems like a big expense when I know there are great photogs in PDX.
Is it that Crystal chick? She looooves Bryan and Missy. She's done a bunch of their photo shoots. I could see Missy flying her up to Portland so she can have pictures of "her" baby girl.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Considering that Bryan and Missy had to pay to fly Corbin to Southern California for the weekend during Kelsey's baby shower in Idaho, I seriously doubt Kelsey and Corbin are reimbursing a photographer to fly to Portland. Either the photographer is paying her own way for whatever reason, or Bryan and Missy are gifting them the session.

I can't handle the Amish chin beard, the bouffant hair AND man bun, and the old man cardigan in that photo shoot.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

ewokfan11 wrote:
melonyogloo wrote:Another commerical. Did they finally find a sponsor for rental car after complaining about buses amd Lyft?
Also, they rented that car to drive a whopping TWO miles. :roll: :roll: :roll: I looked up that car service and it seems pretty expensive. It's $.49 a minute while driving and then $.30 a minute when you are just parked. I've never done a short-term car rental like that, but it seems like the fees add up really fast. If they had the car for three days, like they suggested for getting to the hospital when the baby comes, it would be $250! That seems like a lot!!
I really think they're waiting for someone (Missy and Bryan?) to gift them a car, rather than saving for a down payment. Gosh, why save and have long term goals when you can just complain until someone else steps in and takes care of you?
laughsatytfame
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by laughsatytfame »

These two are starting out in the lazy whinny category. Renting a car to drive a couple miles? Get a job Corbin and support your family. And ooh boo fricken who it's your last few weeks as just a couple, you immature dolts you weren't using birth control what did you expect.

I can seem them thinking the pull out method in and of itself was NFP, because I can't see either one of them having the brain cells to figure out her cycle. lol

/rant over sorry I am just having a day.
storeynyx
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by storeynyx »

laughsatytfame wrote:These two are starting out in the lazy whinny category. Renting a car to drive a couple miles? Get a job Corbin and support your family. And ooh boo fricken who it's your last few weeks as just a couple, you immature dolts you weren't using birth control what did you expect.

I can seem them thinking the pull out method in and of itself was NFP, because I can't see either one of them having the brain cells to figure out her cycle. lol

/rant over sorry I am just having a day.
I'm pretty sure they said that she has irregular cycles, but somehow they "tracked" them, and that they intended to get pregnant but didn't think it would happen so fast

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Yep, I think the real head scratcher here is that they purposely chose to get pregnant without jobs, a home, or prenatal coverage.

I love that they're so sustainable and environmentally friendly that they're FLYING in a photographer because they couldn't be bothered to find a Portland based one. Because photographers are so hard to find. I'm not sure what they mean when they say their "usual" photographer- when have they paid for professional photos besides their wedding?

That BMW car share service looks expensive. Does Corbin really think they're going to rent a car at $110 a day just waiting for her to go into labor? That's ludicrous. Corbin seemed to be saying that the max was $50 a day, but the website clearly states that $50 is the max for up to 3 hours. 12 and 24 hour rentals have an $80 and $110 max. I don't know the legality of this, but could they do a paid commercial within their video for this service without having to disclose it? It felt like sponsored content, but they didn't claim that ReachNow was a sponsor or that they were paid to use the service. I can't imagine why they would recite that spiel unless it was for a sponsor, but maybe their angling for a deal.
melonyogloo
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by melonyogloo »

HashtagBlessed wrote: That BMW car share service looks expensive. Does Corbin really think they're going to rent a car at $110 a day just waiting for her to go into labor? That's ludicrous. Corbin seemed to be saying that the max was $50 a day, but the website clearly states that $50 is the max for up to 3 hours. 12 and 24 hour rentals have an $80 and $110 max. I don't know the legality of this, but could they do a paid commercial within their video for this service without having to disclose it? It felt like sponsored content, but they didn't claim that ReachNow was a sponsor or that they were paid to use the service. I can't imagine why they would recite that spiel unless it was for a sponsor, but maybe their angling for a deal.
They have to disclose the product placement content to Youtube but they have the discretion on whether to disclose it to the viewers or not. I think he was vague about the rental information to drive the traffic to the website. He did badmouth Car2go's Smartcar (ReachNow's competitor) though. Maybe they received rental credit in return or just straight up cash.. who knows.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

melonyogloo wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote: That BMW car share service looks expensive. Does Corbin really think they're going to rent a car at $110 a day just waiting for her to go into labor? That's ludicrous. Corbin seemed to be saying that the max was $50 a day, but the website clearly states that $50 is the max for up to 3 hours. 12 and 24 hour rentals have an $80 and $110 max. I don't know the legality of this, but could they do a paid commercial within their video for this service without having to disclose it? It felt like sponsored content, but they didn't claim that ReachNow was a sponsor or that they were paid to use the service. I can't imagine why they would recite that spiel unless it was for a sponsor, but maybe their angling for a deal.
They have to disclose the product placement content to Youtube but they have the discretion on whether to disclose it to the viewers or not. I think he was vague about the rental information to drive the traffic to the website. He did badmouth Car2go's Smartcar (ReachNow's competitor) though. Maybe they received rental credit in return or just straight up cash.. who knows.
Yes, it looks like for the time being YouTube is not legally responsible for it's creators and they're letting vloggers deal with their own liability with the FTC, because vloggers who have a financial relationship with brands (including receiving free goods and services) fall under FTC guidelines. But it really falls on the shoulders of the company paying for the advertisement to insist that it be disclosed to viewers so that no one is violating the law.

My guess would be that it was a paid endorsement/product placement, but for whatever reason ReachNow decided not to require Steps to Wander to disclose the commercial relationship, and I'm sure they were happy not to because they know how paid content is perceived and how it alienates viewers. Assuming this was the case, it's still an FTC violation, but I assume smaller vloggers and bloggers assume the FTC isn't enforcing the law. It seems risky since both are liable for failure to disclose, if there was a relationship that they didn't disclose to viewers.

I did some reading on the subject, and it's fascinating that vloggers and the brands they partner with want to get away with creating sponsored content and paid endorsements without disclosing the financial relationship. It's so deceptive towards viewers who think they're getting an honest review or recommendation. Apparently it's quite common for vloggers to disclose absolutely nothing. I read some accounts where vloggers were specifically asked by the brand NOT to disclose and cases where vloggers knew other vloggers were featuring products they were paid to promote because the vlogger had been approached by the same brand.

It will be interesting to see if the FTC ever brings down the hammer and opens investigations.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

^^^^^This EXACTLY! Almost no American vloggers disclose their paid ads/sponsorships. The UK did make a law, but even the UK vloggers seem to just ignore it. I just click off when it's obviously an ad.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I remember Steps to Wander was very upfront about previous paid advertisements they did at the very beginning (they even included the new disclosure feature YouTube offers where a visible text overlay reads "Includes Paid Promotion" or something similar) and they experienced backlash in the comments. I think shortly after that they started being more discrete, and maybe even didn't disclose at all.

I think they made their sponsored content too much like a professional ad (the contact lenses company and the phone company) and it just looks kind of cheesy and too commercial. But now they've swung too far in the other direction where they want it to be so discrete that they're not being transparent. What ever happened to being honest and saying you were compensated for talking about this product or service, but these are your honest thoughts and you wouldn't partner with a brand you didn't genuinely like and feel comfortable promoting? I would have more respect for them if they were honest about it, and people could use their own judgement about whether or not the review was influenced by the compensation they recieved.
Snow White
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Snow White »

I am so sick of hearing "we put (blank) on our registry but didn't get it.." he's said it twice now. The first time he said something along the lines of "didn't get it at our baby shower" and then again today about the blanket.
It sounds so sour & entitled!! No one owes you anything Corbin!!

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”