Bonnie and Joel: Not Every Day Is A Rational Day (Part 9)

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Not Every Day Is A Rational Day (Part 9

Unread post by tratra58 »

I will add real quick samika was 1100. monthly income.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Namm
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Namm »

I really wonder how Samika are making it with such a low income. Don't see any progress with their channel but they are hanging in there. I remember their channel having more subscribers than Ellie and Jared.
Really thought back then that E&J were a sweet couple and I looked forward to their journey. Jared was kind of annoying even back then, not as much as today but Ellie is the one who made a U-turn from who she pretended to be...
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Namm wrote:I really wonder how Samika are making it with such a low income. Don't see any progress with their channel but they are hanging in there. I remember their channel having more subscribers than Ellie and Jared.
Really thought back then that E&J were a sweet couple and I looked forward to their journey. Jared was kind of annoying even back then, not as much as today but Ellie is the one who made a U-turn from who she pretended to be...
I wonder how they do it also. You look at this as not just paying bills, but needing to buy health insurance and there is no way you are saving for kid's college/retirement. These are not uneducated people, who are not making it big as YouTubers so I question what holds them back from returning to a traditional job with a set income/benefits. Bringing it back to Bonnie's board, I do think Joel would return to work if their YouTube future was uncertain.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

tratra58 wrote:
Namm wrote:I really wonder how Samika are making it with such a low income. Don't see any progress with their channel but they are hanging in there. I remember their channel having more subscribers than Ellie and Jared.
I wonder how they do it also. You look at this as not just paying bills, but needing to buy health insurance and there is no way you are saving for kid's college/retirement. These are not uneducated people, who are not making it big as YouTubers so I question what holds them back from returning to a traditional job with a set income/benefits. Bringing it back to Bonnie's board, I do think Joel would return to work if their YouTube future was uncertain.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Samika does plenty of sponsorships. They do them very cleverly, so it's not obnoxious. The Social Blade and vid IQ don't take sponsorships into account, do they? It's just flat YouTube income isn't it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

lmmomSD wrote:Samika does plenty of sponsorships. They do them very cleverly, so it's not obnoxious. The Social Blade and vid IQ don't take sponsorships into account, do they? It's just flat YouTube income isn't it?

I believe they can only have revenue from one or the other. If you look on SB, days with sponsored vlogs usually show no income. Sponsored vlogs need to be declared, so it's possible that Samika do well with sponsors because they are likeable and have a target audience (young adults), even though they have less overall views and subs. In their case, the SB estimate might actually be on the low end, and they could be making closer to the $45k high estimate. They live fairly simple (with the exception of Sam's shoes), so I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to get by just fine on this amount.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:Samika does plenty of sponsorships. They do them very cleverly, so it's not obnoxious. The Social Blade and vid IQ don't take sponsorships into account, do they? It's just flat YouTube income isn't it?

I believe they can only have revenue from one or the other. If you look on SB, days with sponsored vlogs usually show no income. Sponsored vlogs need to be declared, so it's possible that Samika do well with sponsors because they are likeable and have a target audience (young adults), even though they have less overall views and subs. In their case, the SB estimate might actually be on the low end, and they could be making closer to the $45k high estimate. They live fairly simple (with the exception of Sam's shoes), so I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to get by just fine on this amount.
I agree sponsored vlogs are there, but I do think if you have a channel which is losing viewers and subscribers, it will affect the bottom line and you see lower returns. I listen to their live vlog and it was surprising to hear him state he could have a million viewers if they wanted to and made extra money for example buying low and selling high with special shoes. They also mention how cheap it is to live in Utah. My question is why would any of the YouTubers whose channels are doing so-so or even declining not look to return to a traditional job? You could essentially double your income if one person continued YouTubing and the other worked a traditional job which includes benefits. Ruby is proving that YouTube can be done by one person and she is doing the best.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Bonnie and Joel: Not Every Day Is A Rational Day (Part 9)

tratra58 wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:

I agree sponsored vlogs are there, but I do think if you have a channel which is losing viewers and subscribers, it will affect the bottom line and you see lower returns. I listen to their live vlog and it was surprising to hear him state he could have a million viewers if they wanted to and made extra money for example buying low and selling high with special shoes. They also mention how cheap it is to live in Utah. My question is why would any of the YouTubers whose channels are doing so-so or even declining not look to return to a traditional job? You could essentially double your income if one person continued YouTubing and the other worked a traditional job which includes benefits. Ruby is proving that YouTube can be done by one person and she is doing the best.
I think the answer is a combination of laziness and appearance. They have an image to maintain, and as their audience soars, it makes it harder to hold a public job without it interfering in that job.

This article is a good one for explaining the struggle between maintaining your online persona and trying to pay the bills...

https://www.google.ca/amp/fusion.net/st ... media/amp/

I read this awhile back, and I now notice a lot of the purchases vloggers make come at a time when it seems their numbers and interest are dipping. They are definitely all trying to maintain an image of being popular, celebrity-level YTers.

For many of them (DB in particular), they have bought their fame and bought their following (through buying extra views and subs), so naturally they go on to try and buy a more celebrity status.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

It is a good article. I think YouTube is an interesting entertainment industry you can see couples both enjoy being home and you can't blame them. But at some point, I think you have to look at providing the basics for your family and forty-five thousand yearly salary is adequate, but not enough to save for retirement and in our country we do pay for healthcare which is not inexpensive.

If I was Bonnie, I would never worry about Joel who would recognize that YouTube isn't enough to provide for his family if that were to happen. I don't see this with Sam, Matt and maybe even Cullen and Katie.
justkidding
Talker
Talker

Unread post by justkidding »

HelloSweetie wrote:
tratra58 wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote: I believe they can only have revenue from one or the other. If you look on SB, days with sponsored vlogs usually show no income. Sponsored vlogs need to be declared, so it's possible that Samika do well with sponsors because they are likeable and have a target audience (young adults), even though they have less overall views and subs. In their case, the SB estimate might actually be on the low end, and they could be making closer to the $45k high estimate. They live fairly simple (with the exception of Sam's shoes), so I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to get by just fine on this amount.
I think the answer is a combination of laziness and appearance. They have an image to maintain, and as their audience soars, it makes it harder to hold a public job without it interfering in that job.

This article is a good one for explaining the struggle between maintaining your online persona and trying to pay the bills...

https://www.google.ca/amp/fusion.net/st ... media/amp/

I read this awhile back, and I now notice a lot of the purchases vloggers make come at a time when it seems their numbers and interest are dipping. They are definitely all trying to maintain an image of being popular, celebrity-level YTers.

For many of them (DB in particular), they have bought their fame and bought their following (through buying extra views and subs), so naturally they go on to try and buy a more celebrity status.
Very interesting article. One of the things addressed in this article that is frequently dismissed on YTMD is that there is a lot more to being a bigger vlogger than simply making a 10-15 minute video every day. It takes work to grow your channel, it doesn't just magically happen. Negotiating with sponsors takes time and know-how to get a good deal. These vloggers are figuring out ways to generate income beyond just their YT income. That's why they all have an obviously more extravagant lifestyle than what SB is reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Has Sam ever held a "real" job? I can easily see Joel going out and getting a job if things started to dip in the YouTube world. He may be enjoying being home, but I really don't see him balking at doing manual labor to keep a roof over his family's head.
And Sam _saying_ he could have a million viewers if he wanted doesn't necessarily make it true. I think he gets defensive sometimes. He's said more than once that they could do sponsorships every day if they "wanted to", and all we have is his word to go on.

Nini12
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nini12 »

tratra58 wrote:It is a good article. I think YouTube is an interesting entertainment industry you can see couples both enjoy being home and you can't blame them. But at some point, I think you have to look at providing the basics for your family and forty-five thousand yearly salary is adequate, but not enough to save for retirement and in our country we do pay for healthcare which is not inexpensive.

If I was Bonnie, I would never worry about Joel who would recognize that YouTube isn't enough to provide for his family if that were to happen. I don't see this with Sam, Matt and maybe even Cullen and Katie.
The only thing that worries me about Joel going back to work in a few years is his health, I can't remember exactly but B&J have mentioned that he was in a car accident and that left him with some back problems and this week they talked about his feet hurting really bad. Also, unlike to Matt, Sam and Cullen, youtube wasn't Joel's thing, I think in some cases these men get so defensive about their channels because it's their project and they don't want to admit that they aren't as successful as they wished they were.
^^^ Sorry if there are any mistakes guys, english is not my first language
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Nini12 wrote:
tratra58 wrote:It is a good article. I think YouTube is an interesting entertainment industry you can see couples both enjoy being home and you can't blame them. But at some point, I think you have to look at providing the basics for your family and forty-five thousand yearly salary is adequate, but not enough to save for retirement and in our country we do pay for healthcare which is not inexpensive.

The only thing that worries me about Joel going back to work in a few years is his health, I can't remember exactly but B&J have mentioned that he was in a car accident and that left him with some back problems and this week they talked about his feet hurting really bad. Also, unlike to Matt, Sam and Cullen, youtube wasn't Joel's thing, I think in some cases these men get so defensive about their channels because it's their project and they don't want to admit that they aren't as successful as they wished they were.
You make very good points in your message.I am guessing Joel has worked with some pain at work for years and did this since he liked his job and it provided for his family. He has to me strong work ethics. Fortunately, his channel is doing well and he doesn't need to work. Also, Bonnie and Joel live well within their means and I bet they are saving for a rainy day. Cullen I think gets frustrated and starts asking for likes etc. I found Sam a bit arrogant watching his live vlog talking about many things in life. His parents paid his college which was nice, but it makes it easier not to get out there and work so I see this as a positive/negative. Matt, seems sad that he isn't as popular as Jared. The hard part is I think it will only get harder to remain a popular YouTube channel. I wonder how long you can go on with YouTube as a career when your channel is not popular?
chipmunks
Informer
Informer

Unread post by chipmunks »

sorry, but couldn't get through that article. seems to be a bit entitled. following someone on social media is a passive act. Thus, having a lot of followers doesn't make you famous. I'd say the amount of people who comment on videos/instagram/twitter is a better indicator of how many people you've actually engaged and are regularly watching - which is why they ask for comments and likes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kiwimumof-5
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kiwimumof-5 »

winniewise wrote:
alym0326 wrote:I'm not a mother and am only educated in children older than Linc. But, isn't it more common for children that have older siblings to talk earlier on because they have so many people talking to them/they hear talking so much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, this is my experience with my kids and kids I've been around. My second gets the benefit of being read to at a younger age than my first because she wants to join i on the fun with big sister. I only have two so I don't know if this will change with more kids, but it is my experience that my second talked sooner than my first.
I have five and in my experience it largely depends on the child, my first- big chatterbox, my second and third, hardly said a word, fourth- said a bit, fifth- 19 months old, wont shut up

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk
imnottired
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by imnottired »

This is really OT, but I wanted to share. I looked up Bonnie's Instagram (I should've known she had one. She's a vlogger and has to use social media) and I was scrolling through her pictures.

I remember in a video a long time ago that Bonnie said she wishes she looks like her sisters. I'm far from a minion, and I don't agree with Bonnie on a lot, but I have to say, Bonnie is beautiful. I would kill to look like her. I know that's my opinion, but I can't understand why she puts herself down sometimes and wants to change how she looks.

Anyways, that got me thinking. Bonnie takes after her dad, not her mom. With Jen being a defcon 4 narc, do you think Jen made passive aggressive comments and made fun of Bonnie for her looks (but just not in the mean and obvious way)? Maybe Jen or the other sisters made comments that Bonnie didn't "fit in"?

I just have no idea why she would want to look like a carbon copy of Ruby, Julie, Ellie, etc.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I hate it when Bonnie puts herself down. She is beautiful, and she's also in general, a better person than Ellie, the "golden child". Beauty is as beauty does, and Ellie's personality is ugly.
But I find it interesting that she posted that about girls "feeling pressured to wear their hair a certain way" when although I don't _know_, I have a feeling that Olivia is pressured to wear her hair long. It's probably not overt pressure, but the long blonde hair is part of the "Molly Mormon" ideal.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

imnottired wrote:This is really OT, but I wanted to share. I looked up Bonnie's Instagram (I should've known she had one. She's a vlogger and has to use social media) and I was scrolling through her pictures.

I remember in a video a long time ago that Bonnie said she wishes she looks like her sisters. I'm far from a minion, and I don't agree with Bonnie on a lot, but I have to say, Bonnie is beautiful. I would kill to look like her. I know that's my opinion, but I can't understand why she puts herself down sometimes and wants to change how she looks.

Anyways, that got me thinking. Bonnie takes after her dad, not her mom. With Jen being a defcon 4 narc, do you think Jen made passive aggressive comments and made fun of Bonnie for her looks (but just not in the mean and obvious way)? Maybe Jen or the other sisters made comments that Bonnie didn't "fit in"?

I just have no idea why she would want to look like a carbon copy of Ruby, Julie, Ellie, etc.
I think a lot of her comments have to do with her size. She has a bigger frame than her sisters, and I don't think it would ever be possible for her to be as tiny as them. She's curvy. I absolutely believe Jennifer made comments about her size, because we've seen her praise Ellie for how small she is. We've also seen Ellie make a lot of passive aggressive digs at Bonnie in the vlogs. It's always a joke though, of course.
winniewise
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by winniewise »

I think she had to mention the statistic of women who feel pressure to wear their hair a certain way because they say the same thing in the dove ad on TV. And I definitely think that Bonnie is the most attractive person in her family.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
always
Talker
Talker

Unread post by always »

winniewise wrote:I think she had to mention the statistic of women who feel pressure to wear their hair a certain way because they say the same thing in the dove ad on TV. And I definitely think that Bonnie is the most attractive person in her family.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I must admit I don't see any beauty in her. I am sorry but when she wears make up she looks much better but even then she sometimes looks as a man wearing make up. She is overweight. Look at her vlogs after she had Lincoln, she had a little bit if extra weight, but she is almost obese now. I have the same problem, I've gained too much weight while I breastfed my baby and now I am pregnant again. I am going to be an elephant :(. I am really sorry but my point of view is totally different than yours when it comes to her looks. I would range them like this: Ellie, Ruby, Julie, Bonnie and Beu or whatever is his name.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”