Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blackmazda
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: House Woes Part #9

Unread post by Blackmazda »

I wonder what he is taking out, I saw it and didn't notice anything that stuck out. Original length was 19:01
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HashtagBlessed wrote:The seller has a lot more leverage in this situation, which is the only reason they agreed to Katie and Cullen's offer in the first place. I imagine there was a tight deadline for Katie and Cullen to start marketing their house. If they set a firm timeline in the contract, and Katie and Cullen can't go to closing for any reason, they're in breach of contract and lose their deposit. If they put 1-3% down on a $600k property, that's something between $6,000-$18,000. Yikes. I don't think they fully understood what they were doing and now it's hitting them. Cullen said on the vlog where their second counter offer was accepted that he didn't understand the terms of the active break clause until that morning. Um, then why in the world are you looking before your house is on the market and making offers? I hope their agent was smart enough to negotiate a decent contract so they don't get screwed if things don't work out. But I suspect they made concessions to get their second offer accepted that might come back to bite them.
Why would you sign a contract without making sure you understood ALL the terms? Makes no sense at all. Did their realtor not explain everything, or was he/she just seeing dollar signs and didn't bother?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

lmmomSD wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:The seller has a lot more leverage in this situation, which is the only reason they agreed to Katie and Cullen's offer in the first place. I imagine there was a tight deadline for Katie and Cullen to start marketing their house. If they set a firm timeline in the contract, and Katie and Cullen can't go to closing for any reason, they're in breach of contract and lose their deposit. If they put 1-3% down on a $600k property, that's something between $6,000-$18,000. Yikes. I don't think they fully understood what they were doing and now it's hitting them. Cullen said on the vlog where their second counter offer was accepted that he didn't understand the terms of the active break clause until that morning. Um, then why in the world are you looking before your house is on the market and making offers? I hope their agent was smart enough to negotiate a decent contract so they don't get screwed if things don't work out. But I suspect they made concessions to get their second offer accepted that might come back to bite them.
Why would you sign a contract without making sure you understood ALL the terms? Makes no sense at all. Did their realtor not explain everything, or was he/she just seeing dollar signs and didn't bother?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I'll have to go back and watch the blogs where they were rejected and countered to be sure but I feel like this is what went down.. they made the first offer without the contingenties, and it was rejected. The next morning they probably sat down with the realtor and drew up the counteroffer with the contingenties, which was when they learned all about them. Then later that afternoon they were accepted. I think that he knew what it all entailed when he signed the counter, but didn't know anything about it until that morning they signed it. I'm going to go back and watch to see if that timeline fits, as soon as I get a chance.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

Yes, seems like that time line does work out, they talk about getting the offer rejected in the We got Bad News vlog, then in the next day's video when they are sitting down to talk to the realtor he said they had another meeting with her that morning. I assume that meeting was all about the contingencies, counter offer process, ect.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I think they understood the circumstances before they signed, but I think it was explained and clarified for them right before they signed and submitted their offer. They should have understood what they were dealing with when they started touring homes and they seriously considered making an offer. It shouldn't have been an afterthought after they sat down to write an offer.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Boredomatitsfinest wrote:Yes. So much yes. Today's vlog was just a reminder of why they are my favorite. They are such genuine people and I love it. Sure they have their faults, but no matter how late Cullen stays up or how cluttered their house is, they mean well. As I'm sitting here appreciating how they haven't let vlogging change them, I'm starting to worry if moving might. I'd like to think it won't...but there seems to be a trend... :/

I also wanted to bring up the master bathroom. Sorry if I read wrong (I've been skimming), or if it has already been brought up, but they aren't justifying doing it just to possibly "write it off", lol. They're putting work into the house to increase its value. It's very common (and wise) to do. They might be putting out money that's stressing them out a little currently, but, assuming that everything goes as planned, they will end up making their money back, and then some. Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone isn't familiar.
I brought up the master bathroom shower a day or so ago since I wonder why they were retiling it. Was there something wrong with this tile. My reasoning was this was a lot of money to retile this since the cost is in the labor. Was it worth the investment? Or would a good cleaning, caulking, touch up grouting tile be enough? Buyers recognize this isn't a new house, right?

On the earnest money, I would assume if the sellers accept another offer, they would get this money back. If there was a condition they could lose their earnest money deposit, this house better be worth it since it is risky the way they have handled things. They could do a vlog on how not to buy and sell a house.

I am sure Katie appreciates her sister and mom who were very nice to help celebrate her birthday. They both seem like nice ladies.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Playsinrain wrote:Yes, seems like that time line does work out, they talk about getting the offer rejected in the We got Bad News vlog, then in the next day's video when they are sitting down to talk to the realtor he said they had another meeting with her that morning. I assume that meeting was all about the contingencies, counter offer process, ect.
When CK first offer was rejected, this might have been the time a realtor (or even CK) would say let's get your house on the market before we go back and make a contingent offer on this house or a offer on any house. Honestly, you will find your house no matter what, even in a sellers market and especially if you already have a nice home to live in...there is no need to rush.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

We know they aren't sharing everything as they told us as much. If they were in a position to put their home on the market right away, it wouldn't seem so very rushed. I noticed that there weren't that many homes with pools on Zillow and they are certain they want one, so that could be part of it. Obviously, it makes sense to put in a pool when you are buying a new home. I know you can put a pool in later if need be. Are there obstacles to putting in a pool these days that I'm not considering? I do know they are very expensive now, but is it prohibitively so?
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

I don't know if I imagined it or not but didn't they say the house they put offer on wasn't listed?
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I am not familiar with having to rent a storage area when selling, let alone, you think you'll need to rent another one. I am not sure why they wouldn't pack up toys somewhat and put in a storage area/closets at their house or think maybe we have to get rid of more things. If they sold their house and couldn't get into a new house, a storage area might be needed, but I am confused about needing one when you are just selling a house. I think they still have the couch that was replaced by their new sectional. I will add this is their first house so can you really accumulate this many things in just five years?
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

tratra58 wrote:I am not familiar with having to rent a storage area when selling, let alone, you think you'll need to rent another one. I am not sure why they wouldn't pack up toys somewhat and put in a storage area/closets at their house or think maybe we have to get rid of more things. If they sold their house and couldn't get into a new house, a storage area might be needed, but I am confused about needing one when you are just selling a house. I think they still have the couch that was replaced by their new sectional. I will add this is their first house so can you really accumulate this many things in just five years?
I don't understand this either. Get rid of some of that crap. They obviously don't need it. I can't imagine where they might put that sofa in the new house.Why not donate it? I think they're going to have a room in the new house reserved for junk they should have got rid of. Getting another storage unit is kinda silly. They have bins full of clothes that can be donated. I know they plan to save them for future kids, but be realistic. Gaines didn't wear all of those clothes. A new baby wouldn't either and they would buy new clothes for the new baby anyway. Half of them were monogrammed. Get rid of them. The toys too. There will be more toys. The kids won't miss them. The big ugly red thing. It's really ugly and looks worn. Get rid of it. Katie was showing the extra bedroom on Instagram earlier. It was full of what looked to be trash from Christmas.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

tratra58 wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:Yes, seems like that time line does work out, they talk about getting the offer rejected in the We got Bad News vlog, then in the next day's video when they are sitting down to talk to the realtor he said they had another meeting with her that morning. I assume that meeting was all about the contingencies, counter offer process, ect.
When CK first offer was rejected, this might have been the time a realtor (or even CK) would say let's get your house on the market before we go back and make a contingent offer on this house or a offer on any house. Honestly, you will find your house no matter what, even in a sellers market and especially if you already have a nice home to live in...there is no need to rush.
It just seems like first world problems to me. I mean, Cullen crying on camera? I get that some folk liked they showed that but as someone else said, there may be more going on behind the scenes which Cullen did actually allude to.

Unless there is more severe emotional/financial/other stuff going on, him crying was a bit overly reactionary. They even cut the camera and when they came back Cullen continued to cry for several minutes out of shot while Katie talked. I just found the whole thing weird tbh.

And I am honestly astounded at the amount of stuff they are putting into storage, to the point they are considering renting a second storage unit. Never mind them being clutterers, it's verging on horders at this point.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
just_me
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by just_me »

Way back in 1988 my family and I moved to a different state because my dad got a job transfer. We were only in the new state for about 9 or 10 months before we moved back due to another job transfer. The house they had put on the market never sold so my parents were paying 2 mortgages the entire time. Or maybe my dad's work was helping in some way? I was only 9/10 years old so I have no idea. It sure made house hunting a lot easier though. lol

I have not been watching them, just too much other stuff going on and whatnot, but I see their vlog titles about moving and looking at houses and I looked at both Zillow and Realtor.com and neither have their house as listed for sale. I've read here though that they put an offer on another house. Um... what? And unless Zillow and Realtor.com have not updated prices in a while C&K's current house is estimated at less than $300, but they looked at houses in the $600k range? Even with the money they're currently making from Youtube, that seems to be really pushing it. Like it's been mentioned before, Youtube isn't a sure thing, their sub count is going up at a sloth's pace, etc.

For the price, someone with the money to renovate could buy that pink house (link was on the last page of part 8 if you missed it), redo the entire inside and paint the exterior a different color, then live in it or flip it and make some cash. That is way too many stairs for me to deal with though. Can I just install an escalator? lol

The house I'm in now, sooo many issues. When he's ready to sell, my mom's bf just needs to sell it as a fixer upper because the cost of repainting, patching the crack in the ceiling, making the spaces between the floor and ceiling molding pieces (can't remember what they are called) and the wall disappear, fix all the cracks that the ants appear from at least twice a year (mega tons of them EVERYWHERE), put in a new thermostat and a/c unit (we live in California), change the doors... I'm probably forgetting stuff. He bought this house as a short sale foreclosure so it was a mess. He thinks he can make minor changes (basically just repainting) and sell it for what the market says it's worth. He doesn't get that nobody will buy the house for that much with as much work as they would need to put into it.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

tratra58 wrote:I am not familiar with having to rent a storage area when selling, let alone, you think you'll need to rent another one. I am not sure why they wouldn't pack up toys somewhat and put in a storage area/closets at their house or think maybe we have to get rid of more things. If they sold their house and couldn't get into a new house, a storage area might be needed, but I am confused about needing one when you are just selling a house. I think they still have the couch that was replaced by their new sectional. I will add this is their first house so can you really accumulate this many things in just five years?
Surely you've noticed that they are not like you, right? I think getting a storage unit was a good idea and will pay for itself, perhaps, if they get more money for their home when they sell it because it looks beautiful and spacious. Katie admitted that they have a hard time throwing things away. There isn't anything wrong with that unless you go to the extreme and debilitated because of it, which is not the case. Remember too, they are moving to a larger home and they'll be needing that couch. Maybe it will go in the basement? They do have a lot of toys, but that is hardly a crime. It's nice stuff and a lot of it was handed down from Kelley. They'll have plenty of room for it at their new place. Let's let Brooks get a chance to play with them and maybe, when their family is completed and all the kids have outgrown said toys they will donate them. Remember too, when their friends come over with their kids, they will want to play with the toys. I bought extra balls, bubbles, squirt guns, hoola hoops, etc so there was plenty to play with when kids came over to play at my house. They don't want to pack their garage and/or closets with more stuff. Buyers would get the impression that their home was fundamentally too small. Katie and Cullen will never have a home free of all clutter and I think that is fine. They aren't bothered by it. They're new parents and clearly have more than they need, but that's okay too.
Upallnight
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Upallnight »

Renting a storage unit when selling a house is really common. You want your house to look as open and spacious as possible. The easiest way to do that is to remove as much stuff as you can. The last thing you want to do is shove it all in the garage or closets. I'm sure they have a lot of stuff they could/should get rid of but just getting it out of the house while they sell is smart.

And yes, you really can accumulate that much stuff in 5 years. I've lived in my current house for just over 3 years. Our garage and shed were almost empty when we first moved in. Our huge upstairs storage closet was empty for the first year. Even with regularly throwing things out, selling big items, and donating stuff piles up. Kids will do that.

Upallnight
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Upallnight »

Upallnight wrote: Our garage and shed were almost empty when we first moved in. Our huge upstairs storage closet was empty for the first year.

I guess it would have been helpful to add that all of those spaces are full now.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

To me, the minimalist who currently lives in less than a thousand square feet and used to live in a 600 sq ft studio for years, they're verging on hoarder territory. I could never live like that. I can see how people are are used to having more space and more storage than I wouldn't be that phased by the amount of stuff they're hauling out of that house and into storage. How many of those toys does their daughter actually play with on a weekly basis? Just watching them is giving me the urge to clean out my closet. I donate to Goodwill on a quarterly basis and that seems to keep the clutter at bay.

I get the impression Katie grew up with a lot of space and a lot of material possessions. She seems to like to hold on to stuff, even if she can't see it on a regular basis or use it. For me, when you have less stuff in your home, you appreciate and see things more because it's not completing with a million other trinkets and memorabilia and decor items that are just collecting dust.

Yes, the $600,000 price tag threw me too, because I calculated from their Social Blade stats that they would be in the $400,000 range, assuming they want to stick to the rule of only spending 30% of your monthly income on housing. Social Blade isn't reliable, but more so I just didn't know they could make the leap from a less than $300,000 home to a $600,000 home based on YouTube income. They're either making quite a bit more than we realize, or they're really stretching their budget.
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

I know Grandolly has a huge house but I don't think she has ever gotten rid of anything either. Gaines wore Katie and Kelly's coming home outfit. Think about her 3rd floor playroom full of Kelly and Katie's toys.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

I imagine C&K's closets etc are already full. They are more likely to need to move items out of those areas and into off-site storage, than to cram them full of random stuff. Prospective buyers naturally want to look inside. And the accelerated timeline they are on right now doesn't seem like it's the very best time to offload 2/3 of their possessions to Goodwill. They will never be that extreme about it anyway, but with the contingency condition, I'm sure they are just trying to get their house cleared and ready ASAP.

If I were them, I would be tempted to hire help - maybe a pair of responsible teens from their church who have loads of energy, to get things boxed up and out of there. It wouldn't be that expensive, and C&K would be home to supervise anyway. I did this one year as a surprise for my husband - he thought he was going to have to come home from a 12 hour day at a new job to unload a U-Haul with only me to help. God bless teenagers, lol.

Anyway, while I don't think they're anything even close to actual hoarders, Katie's mom is a self-confessed packrat and C&K are both pretty sentimental people. There is a lot of interesting psychology tied up with the way we relate to our possessions. I would say Bonnie and her sisters, who literally decorate their sparse closets, can be said to represent the minimalist school here on YTMD (though there is more to minimalism than simply not having much). C&K will never be like that... And I'm not sure they really want to. The Ice Palace aesthetic doesn't suit them. I think they like their stuff and want to keep it.

Though, if I were them, it would be worth it to me to hire a weekly housekeeper, even if it meant I had to rearrange my budget or add a bit of part-time work. But I guess there's no real way to win on this subject, because people resent clutter and they also resent SAHCouples with housekeepers.

When they move, I sort of expect them to film in just a few rooms, because it will probably take a long time to unpack and decorate without help or incentives. I have kind of wondered if the rush to move has to do with planning or expecting another pregnancy.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”