Steps to Wander: Natural Disaster

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Wander: Natural Disaster

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

tintin15 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:I saw the Baby League video where they said they were "not preventing," which I find pretty irresponsible of them considering they didn't have jobs or prenatal coverage on her parent's health insurance. And they were living out of a van on a six month road trip.

I wonder if they had been "not preventing" for a while at that point and hadn't concieved, and either thought they were dealing with infertility or had an inflated sense of their NFP capabilities. I seem to remember in the video where they make a big deal about buying prenatal vitamins that she said they had been using "natural birth control" for five years at that point, which predates their marriage. If they were not preventing and just waiting for Kelsey to get pregnant, it makes slightly more sense that she never looked for work and just seemed to aimlessly float through college. I think she was just occupying herself while she waited to get pregnant. Perhaps it just took a lot longer than they anticipated. Bryan and Missy were also very young and not self-sufficient (and on the heels of a divorce and quick remarriage) when they started trying. And if Corbin does come from a Mormon background, that might be the norm for him as well.

It is pretty sad that the only reason any of these people can afford the children they have is because they're monetizing their children's entire existence for clicks from strangers on the internet.
Oh God, I can't imagine not being on some sort of birth control not married! The scandal it would cause in my life to get intentionally pregnant unmarried LOL :lol: If you're in a committed relationship/engaged/don't desire getting married and you want a baby, that's cool, but I can't imagine they wanted a baby so young and unmarried! They don't even seem to want a baby right now, they couldn't have wanted one then.

Maybe they were using condoms, which could be considered natural...I honestly just don't think they are very intelligent when it comes to the whole sex-makes-babies thing.
If she had said they were using a non-hormonal method of birth control, then I would assume a barrier method. But she said, "I'm not on any form of birth control" and "I have a natural means of birth control." I have no idea what that means, lol. She said on their video in Feb. 2016 that this has been the case for four years. They got married on Oct. 10, 2014.

It's funny that they have multiple comments telling them that beer and spicy food can cause babies to not sleep well while breastfeeding. Of course they'll ignore that advice. Kelsey knows her body and their naturopathic said it was okay! lol
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Playsinrain »

summerlee wrote:Anyone else find it weird that Kelsey said that a 1 hours plane ride/6 hour drive was the "perfect distance" away for FAMILY to be? It rubbed me the wrong way... clearly these two like to be on their own and that's fine, but something about that comment really made it seem like they intend on staying closed off from their family and really don't want anyone interfering with what they want to make of their own "perfect/dream bubble". So strange.
I would personally love it if my child's grandparents and aunts/uncles lived close by! It doesn't mean that we'll see them every day or even every week, but it's just nice to be close to family if you can be, in my opinion. They seem like they moved away to purposely be away from family.

maybe there is some bad blood?? That is a weird sorta backhanded thing to say..
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

ok i went back and watched and the announcement video was published on Aug 1st... but leading up to that they sat down and pretty much let the cat out of the bag talking about big changes ect on July 28th (which means they got the positive test before then) , at this point they were still like a week or more behind on uploading, so i would say they tested in early to mid July..
melonyogloo
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by melonyogloo »

Playsinrain wrote:ok i went back and watched and the announcement video was published on Aug 1st... but leading up to that they sat down and pretty much let the cat out of the bag talking about big changes ect on July 28th (which means they got the positive test before then) , at this point they were still like a week or more behind on uploading, so i would say they tested in early to mid July..
The Chicago meetup was on July 9th. They did the test in Milwaukee, before the meetup, so it would probably on the 7th or 8th of July.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Playsinrain wrote:
Scar2016 wrote:
luci417 wrote: Yeah, they were using 'natural' birth control by monitoring Kelsey's cycle and not having sex when she was ovulating..but obviously because these two were involved they screwed it up and she got pregnant. I think they tried to spin if after that they were 'not trying but not preventing' but honestly it really seems like June was a total accident because they underestimated the need for real birth control. I don't understand how they ever thought that would be a reliable method without some kind of test, (like those ovulation predictors you can get for people who are ttc?) because most women's cycles aren't exactly 28 days every single month so it's not as simple as just counting 4 weeks off on a calendar.

According to their website they enjoy ''drinking way too much local beer.'' I'd say natural birth control and 'way too much' drink are not likely a reliant method lol. Also, has anyone noticed how quickly Kelsey is back to drinking beer etc? Juniper was barely a week old when they were at the food truck drinking and she's obviously breast feeding. I just find it weird given their 'wholesome' 'pure' lifestyle. That and the fact they vlogged and uploaded it. Idk.

Also, I wonder if the reason they put the dog in daycare when they go out is because it barks when alone in the apt and their lease says no pets? Oh, another thing on their website: ''Kelsey is an artist who believes in magic and fairy tales.'' Hmm ok Kelsey.

Last thing lol, I get that it's good to read/talk to babies, but it is SO awkward that Corbin vlogs and uploads it. I realized yesterday I was being read a child's fairy story by a 27 y/o old male stranger on the internet. That wasn't weird. At. All.
I think it's fine she went out and had a beer... She didn't seem drunk and one beer isn't going to taint her supply. Hell i had champagne 4ish hours after i gave birth, the nurses chilled it for us.. LOL
They used to tell you to drink beer to increase your milk supply. Don't know if it really works, but it's definitely a thing. Don't mean getting hammered, just a beer.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
alyssadt
Informer
Informer

Unread post by alyssadt »

Playsinrain wrote:
summerlee wrote:Anyone else find it weird that Kelsey said that a 1 hours plane ride/6 hour drive was the "perfect distance" away for FAMILY to be? It rubbed me the wrong way... clearly these two like to be on their own and that's fine, but something about that comment really made it seem like they intend on staying closed off from their family and really don't want anyone interfering with what they want to make of their own "perfect/dream bubble". So strange.
I would personally love it if my child's grandparents and aunts/uncles lived close by! It doesn't mean that we'll see them every day or even every week, but it's just nice to be close to family if you can be, in my opinion. They seem like they moved away to purposely be away from family.

maybe there is some bad blood?? That is a weird sorta backhanded thing to say..

There might be. To be completely honest, I have six siblings (who are all drama starters) and as soon as I graduated from my undergrad I moved real far away (California to Montana) to get away from my family. Image I missed them but I was much happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

It was definitely a backhanded thing to say that she's essentially glad that their family lives an hour plane ride away or a 6 hour drive away, especially considering all the support her mother provided for them when they got home from the hospital and the fact that her father came to help them move. I bet her parents sure wished she lived closer when they have to drive 6 hours or purchase a plane ticket to Portland to help them move, or visit their granddaughter. She could have been more mindful of that. They seem very ungracious all things considered. You would think becoming parents themselves they would have a deeper appreciation for their own parents, but they're just so self-involved and think they know it all.

Corbin obviously has issues with his family, given the fact that no one from his side of the family attended her baby shower when it was held in Idaho and no one from his side of the family has visited the new baby yet. But everything we've seen from the vlogs indicates that they are very thoughtful and financial generous, given that they include Kelsey and Corbin on their family vacation, provided Kelsey and Corbin with a beach condo to stay at for almost two months, loaned them a car, gifted Kelsey's engagement ring, bought them their car seat and that "babymoon" etc. Obviously the vlogs are not the whole story, but given how ungracious and whiny Corbin is, I wouldn't be surprised if his parents told him he needed to grown up and figure some things out on his own, and now they're being iced out.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

I usually get teary-eyed watching any vloggers' cute baby birth stories or "emotional" videos like they posted today...yet, I've had no such reaction to any of their baby-related vlogs - even the birth. Maybe it's the weird way Corbin edits?? Or maybe it's just that they are so unlikeable???
storeynyx
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by storeynyx »

melonyogloo wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:ok i went back and watched and the announcement video was published on Aug 1st... but leading up to that they sat down and pretty much let the cat out of the bag talking about big changes ect on July 28th (which means they got the positive test before then) , at this point they were still like a week or more behind on uploading, so i would say they tested in early to mid July..
The Chicago meetup was on July 9th. They did the test in Milwaukee, before the meetup, so it would probably on the 7th or 8th of July.
They found out pretty early, like 4 or 5 weeks, but Kelsey said she tested due to symptoms and that she hadn't had a period for around 2 months. So, either she said that to make it seem like they weren't 'actively' trying, or her cycles were too irregular to properly track and they're idiots when it comes to NFP

Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:If she had said they were using a non-hormonal method of birth control, then I would assume a barrier method. But she said, "I'm not on any form of birth control" and "I have a natural means of birth control." I have no idea what that means, lol. She said on their video in Feb. 2016 that this has been the case for four years. They got married on Oct. 10, 2014.l
Withdrawal method...? :?
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:Corbin obviously has issues with his family, given the fact that no one from his side of the family attended her baby shower when it was held in Idaho and no one from his side of the family has visited the new baby yet. But everything we've seen from the vlogs indicates that they are very thoughtful and financial generous, given that they include Kelsey and Corbin on their family vacation, provided Kelsey and Corbin with a beach condo to stay at for almost two months, loaned them a car, gifted Kelsey's engagement ring, bought them their car seat and that "babymoon" etc. Obviously the vlogs are not the whole story, but given how ungracious and whiny Corbin is, I wouldn't be surprised if his parents told him he needed to grown up and figure some things out on his own, and now they're being iced out.
Holy crap, there's definitely something amiss with Corbin reading the above. That's a generous amount of help. He sounds like the kind of man child who has to have his umbilical cord forcibly removed and then goes into a silent you're_not_my_friends_anymore strop over it. Like, when are his parents going to see their grand daughter for the first time?
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Scar2016 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:Corbin obviously has issues with his family, given the fact that no one from his side of the family attended her baby shower when it was held in Idaho and no one from his side of the family has visited the new baby yet. But everything we've seen from the vlogs indicates that they are very thoughtful and financial generous, given that they include Kelsey and Corbin on their family vacation, provided Kelsey and Corbin with a beach condo to stay at for almost two months, loaned them a car, gifted Kelsey's engagement ring, bought them their car seat and that "babymoon" etc. Obviously the vlogs are not the whole story, but given how ungracious and whiny Corbin is, I wouldn't be surprised if his parents told him he needed to grown up and figure some things out on his own, and now they're being iced out.
Holy crap, there's definitely something amiss with Corbin reading the above. That's a generous amount of help. He sounds like the kind of man child who has to have his umbilical cord forcibly removed and then goes into a silent you're_not_my_friends_anymore strop over it. Like, when are his parents going to see their grand daughter for the first time?
Oops, that should read "financially generous" above.

I'm not saying Kelsey and Corbin are necessary these type of people, but I have definitely know people who use a pregnancy and a grandchild as an opportunity to take advantage of their parents. As in, they expect financial support once a child is in the picture, especially if they've been freeloading in the past, and access to that grandchild is contingent on that financial support. The kid becomes a bargaining chip. I just can't imagine why Kelsey and Corbin thought it would be a good idea to have unprotected sex when they were living out of a van, didn't have the proper health insurance, and were at best underemployed. It starts to paint the picture of a couple that expected his parents to step in and offer more help, or perhaps they just have no regard for planning ahead.

I don't think his family is loaded, but I would guess they are solidly upper middle class, given all of the gifts listed above and the fact that Corbin went to an expensive private college. I think Corbin was expecting a car or maybe even a downpayment on a home, as if fathering a child was some sort of accomplishment worthy of some big financial gift. But most parents don't like to help a grown child with big life purchased when that child won't take responsibility or work hard.

Maybe his parents are just super busy and planning a trip soon. Or maybe they no longer want to be featured in the vlogs. But I think it's very likely there was a falling out over some tough love.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I really don't think Corbin's parents are much more than middle class...at best. They've been in vlogs in the past and their house is pretty standard and they live in a pretty poor, rural area of Idaho. He even said they all lived with his grandmother at one point. I think Corbin and Kelsey also have a TON of debt - especially student loans and credit cards. In one old vlog Corbin said his CCs were basically maxed out.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Jeez, I almost feel bad for them. Kidding! They've only had a baby about a week and they are both miserable and don't seem to be dealing with the transition at all. Imagine what they'd have to deal with if they had real jobs....

What the heck did they expect with a newborn??? They seem to think they will get 8 hours of sleep if they just rearrange the bed. Huh?! SMH.

Going to the tulip festival is a joke. They don't have a car and it's a 4-hour drive each way. I think their pretend "we're travelers" days are OVER!
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

ewokfan11 wrote:I really don't think Corbin's parents are much more than middle class...at best. They've been in vlogs in the past and their house is pretty standard and they live in a pretty poor, rural area of Idaho. He even said they all lived with his grandmother at one point. I think Corbin and Kelsey also have a TON of debt - especially student loans and credit cards. In one old vlog Corbin said his CCs were basically maxed out.
Wow! I didn't realize he said his credit cards were maxed out at one point. Yikes. Growing up, my mother always taught us that your credit score is the most important number in your life (lol) and that you pay off your balance in full every month. If you don't have the cash, you don't charge it on a card. You have an emergency fund that you continue to grow for emergencies, rather than relying on credit cards for emergency purchases. Knowing the importance of a credit score has made my adult life SO much easier. It's what qualified us for our first mortgage. If their credit scores are lousy, they probably don't qualify for a car loan at a reasonable interest rate and monthly payment.
westwuff
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by westwuff »

1. I wish Corbin would keep his shirt on.

2. I don't understand what they were trying to say about the sleeping arrangements. If you're worried about your kid in the middle of the night, get a breathing monitor..the cradle was right next to the bed, so she shouldn't have had to get up to check on her, just put her hand in the cradle. And if she wasn't sleeping well flat in the cradle due to congestion (suck her nose maybe?) I'm not sure the dockatot will help...I think Kelsey just wanted to bed share (they said this a week ago too). P.s. Those dockatots are expensive!
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

westwuff wrote:P.s. Those dockatots are expensive!
OMG! They are about $300 on Amazon! I'm guessing Aunt Missy bought it.
Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

Oh my god, yes! Put a shirt on Corbin... that is a frightening sight

And these two are ridiculous about complaining about sleep at night. You have a newborn, what did you expect!?

My newborn is only 5 days younger than theirs and I'm up several times at night, and I'm recovering from a csection and have a three year old to care for during the day (so no sleeping to one o'clock for me!) But I knew this was the expectation. Babies are supposed to wake at night. They can kiss 8 straight hours of sleep goodbye for a few years yet!

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

ewokfan11 wrote:Jeez, I almost feel bad for them. Kidding! They've only had a baby about a week and they are both miserable and don't seem to be dealing with the transition at all. Imagine what they'd have to deal with if they had real jobs....

What the heck did they expect with a newborn??? They seem to think they will get 8 hours of sleep if they just rearrange the bed. Huh?! SMH.

Going to the tulip festival is a joke. They don't have a car and it's a 4-hour drive each way. I think their pretend "we're travelers" days are OVER!
The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival? They're planning on going to that? How on earth, without a car? It's not exactly a pedestrian event. Yeah, it's beautiful and fun, but not with a newborn. Last time we were there, it was _blustery_!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Edenberry
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Edenberry »

HashtagBlessed wrote:
tintin15 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:I saw the Baby League video where they said they were "not preventing," which I find pretty irresponsible of them considering they didn't have jobs or prenatal coverage on her parent's health insurance. And they were living out of a van on a six month road trip.

I wonder if they had been "not preventing" for a while at that point and hadn't concieved, and either thought they were dealing with infertility or had an inflated sense of their NFP capabilities. I seem to remember in the video where they make a big deal about buying prenatal vitamins that she said they had been using "natural birth control" for five years at that point, which predates their marriage. If they were not preventing and just waiting for Kelsey to get pregnant, it makes slightly more sense that she never looked for work and just seemed to aimlessly float through college. I think she was just occupying herself while she waited to get pregnant. Perhaps it just took a lot longer than they anticipated. Bryan and Missy were also very young and not self-sufficient (and on the heels of a divorce and quick remarriage) when they started trying. And if Corbin does come from a Mormon background, that might be the norm for him as well.

It is pretty sad that the only reason any of these people can afford the children they have is because they're monetizing their children's entire existence for clicks from strangers on the internet.
Oh God, I can't imagine not being on some sort of birth control not married! The scandal it would cause in my life to get intentionally pregnant unmarried LOL :lol: If you're in a committed relationship/engaged/don't desire getting married and you want a baby, that's cool, but I can't imagine they wanted a baby so young and unmarried! They don't even seem to want a baby right now, they couldn't have wanted one then.

Maybe they were using condoms, which could be considered natural...I honestly just don't think they are very intelligent when it comes to the whole sex-makes-babies thing.
If she had said they were using a non-hormonal method of birth control, then I would assume a barrier method. But she said, "I'm not on any form of birth control" and "I have a natural means of birth control." I have no idea what that means, lol. She said on their video in Feb. 2016 that this has been the case for four years. They got married on Oct. 10, 2014.

It's funny that they have multiple comments telling them that beer and spicy food can cause babies to not sleep well while breastfeeding. Of course they'll ignore that advice. Kelsey knows her body and their naturopathic said it was okay! lol
About using NFP pre marriage. We (because your partner needs to be knowledgable as well) took classes in NFP for a year before our marriage. We didn't "practice" NFP in the marital sense, but I charted every day for that year and it gave us a better understanding of my cycles.
We've now utilized NFP for the past 9 years of our marriage and when done correctly...extremely effective. It's been 4 1/2 years since our youngest was born.
The NFP method we use is called Creighton Model Daily Charting, but you have to be extremely diligent and be communicative with your partner. If you're avoiding getting pregnant, you have to abstain on certain days, wait until end of the day on others. It's a big responsibility but we're always in tune with our family planning and it's been good for our marriage. That's not always the case if one person's on board and the other's not.

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”