Cullen and Katie: House Woes Part #9

WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: House Woes Part #9

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

Sarai wrote:What are the other incidents of Cullen being incredibly racist? I know he made that comment about Will Smith & nappy hair. There was no excuse for that comment, it was messed up.
Yes, what about these incredibly racist statements? I'm curious to know too. I know Jeff Sessions is incredibly racist, the former US Senator representing AL and our current US Attorney General, but I don't believe Katie or Cullen are racists.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

WhatSheSaid wrote:
Sarai wrote:What are the other incidents of Cullen being incredibly racist? I know he made that comment about Will Smith & nappy hair. There was no excuse for that comment, it was messed up.
Yes, what about these incredibly racist statements? I'm curious to know too. I know Jeff Sessions is incredibly racist, the former US Senator representing AL and our current US Attorney General, but I don't believe Katie or Cullen are racists.
As far as I know it was only the "happy hair" comment. It was in poor taste, but I don't think Cullen is a racist.
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wishes »

I know he isn't racist due to being friends with Nivenulls and his music performer friend, Michael Warren. He just made an inappropriate comment.
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Lol.... my post was supposed to read "nappy hair." My autocorrect appears to also be very politically correct
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

japaluvr wrote:I know he isn't racist due to being friends with Nivenulls and his music performer friend, Michael Warren. He just made an inappropriate comment.
Being friendly with black people doesn't make you exempt from being racist. Cullen has black family members. Racism comes in my different forms. For example, when Cullen's dad made the wetback comment about the dog. Not only did Cullen leave it in the vlog, he defended it in the comments. That's racism. The real problem with Cullen is that when people asked him to be more sensitive, he blew it off. He can't claim to be ignorant anymore. He just doesn't care. I don't think he's attending Klan rallies, but he's shown that he's not above making racist jokes. That's sad.
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

Lovethesnark wrote:
japaluvr wrote:I know he isn't racist due to being friends with Nivenulls and his music performer friend, Michael Warren. He just made an inappropriate comment.
Being friendly with black people doesn't make you exempt from being racist. Cullen has black family members. Racism comes in my different forms. For example, when Cullen's dad made the wetback comment about the dog. Not only did Cullen leave it in the vlog, he defended it in the comments. That's racism. The real problem with Cullen is that when people asked him to be more sensitive, he blew it off. He can't claim to be ignorant anymore. He just doesn't care. I don't think he's attending Klan rallies, but he's shown that he's not above making racist jokes. That's sad.
That's true, good points. I had to Google "wetback" as I've never heard that term before.. :(

But aren't we all a little racist or rather, stereotypical at times, making such comments without thinking?
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

Thats the problem these days. Anything you say can make you a racist as long as your white and especially from alabama!!! GASP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

japaluvr wrote:
Lovethesnark wrote:
That's true, good points. I had to Google "wetback" as I've never heard that term before.. :(

But aren't we all a little racist or rather, stereotypical at times, making such comments without thinking?
No, I don't think we are _all_ racist. Yes, it takes vigilance to be sensitive. Coming from Southern California, I know "wetback" is very racist. And I am not talking about hyper sensitive "politically correct" kinds of things. I am taking about common decency, and not saying things about people that you wouldn't say to their faces. I know that sounds disingenuous on a gossip forum, but most of what I say here, I would not necessarily be embarrassed for them to see. I don't try to be outright mean.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

I have posted this several times over the years when the racism thing comes up.

I think Cullen is ignorant, not racist. Ignorant to know that it can hurt people's feelings and is a taboo subject. Ignorant because he is living an upper class lifestyle and doesn't have to deal with racial issues. I don't think he is in the slightest racist, he has biracial niece/nephew and is friendly with Michael Warren (who I adore!) He is a friendly guy, just ignorant.

His comments, to me, are on the same level of calling someone a retard. You don't know it is inappropriate until someone tells you and you actually get it. How many people use the slang retard or gay in their youth, or even still use those words? I know I did unconsciously until I realized it wasn't ok about 10 years ago. Hell, my own husband was ignorant until I told him to cut it out and explained my reasoning. Not racist, ignorant. Know better, do better.

And no I am not saying it is at all ok. I'm just talking about everyone calling him a racist.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

nutbagmcgee wrote:I have posted this several times over the years when the racism thing comes up.

I think Cullen is ignorant, not racist. Ignorant to know that it can hurt people's feelings and is a taboo subject. Ignorant because he is living an upper class lifestyle and doesn't have to deal with racial issues. I don't think he is in the slightest racist, he has biracial niece/nephew and is friendly with Michael Warren (who I adore!) He is a friendly guy, just ignorant.

His comments, to me, are on the same level of calling someone a retard. You don't know it is inappropriate until someone tells you and you actually get it. How many people use the slang retard or gay in their youth, or even still use those words? I know I did unconsciously until I realized it wasn't ok about 10 years ago. Hell, my own husband was ignorant until I told him to cut it out and explained my reasoning. Not racist, ignorant. Know better, do better.

And no I am not saying it is at all ok. I'm just talking about everyone calling him a racist.
No, that actually makes a lot of sense. I don't really think he's malicious or wanting to be mean. I agree, he's ignorant. He doesn't even really know what white privilege is, or how he benefits from it. He will never have to tell Brooks not to walk to the corner store at night wearing a hoodie for fear of getting shot. He can tell Brooks how to weasel out of a ticket, but teaching him to avoid getting killed at a traffic stop will never cross his mind. It takes effort to become aware of these things and try to instill them in your kids.
The problem is when it's pointed out to him, like with the "wetback" comment and he gets defensive instead of saying that he hadn't thought of it, and will try to be more sensitive. That's where the real problem lies.

madi_b_123
Informer
Informer

Unread post by madi_b_123 »

lmmomSD wrote:
japaluvr wrote:
Lovethesnark wrote:

No, I don't think we are _all_ racist. Yes, it takes vigilance to be sensitive. Coming from Southern California, I know "wetback" is very racist. And I am not talking about hyper sensitive "politically correct" kinds of things. I am taking about common decency, and not saying things about people that you wouldn't say to their faces. I know that sounds disingenuous on a gossip forum, but most of what I say here, I would not necessarily be embarrassed for them to see. I don't try to be outright mean.

I don't want to get super preachy but there is a difference between being personally racist and living in a systemically racist society. I believe that Cullen and Katie are not personally racist. They don't truly believe that people of color are less than or stupid or whatever. I do believe that they are both incredibly privileged and don't think racism is still a problem in our society because it doesn't directly apply to them. They think if they aren't personally racist, they have nothing to worry about. They have had very easy lives and were very easily able to succeed, so they don't realize how difficult it can be for people of other races. I said I wasn't going to get too preachy, but I guess I did! As a future social worker, this is something I'm very passionate about!

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

ferriswheel wrote:You could say the same thing about most the threads on this board though, it's supposed to be a place people can post without getting ganged up on by minions. I don't have any issues with C&K, but I'm not surprised they are starting to get more criticism.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
I have yet to be critical of anyone who has made positive remarks about CK. It has been quite the opposite. If you don't like a message posted or who write the message, skip it. It is that simple and this is becoming ridiculous.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

WhatSheSaid wrote:quote="tratra58"]
beautynoob wrote:I'm floored that so many take criticism, accomplishments and/or anything about strangers putting their lives out there for public consumption so personal

Who is taking criticism so personal. I am not sure what you mean.
Not talking about anyone in particular just the fact that people can get so upset about someone not liking something or other about CK

If you are referring to me, I don't get upset if someone has something negative to say about C&K. However, it gets unpleasant to hear the same people picking them to pieces and judging their every move or statement. Surely most of us have encountered these same peopke in real life. They are incredibly negative and don't generally let up. That is what bothers me. There is really no need to bring people down all the time.[/quote]

Actually, you've been the one who are taking things personal by commenting on people who post here as being negative people. The board isn't here for you to make comments on the people who post messages. I don't how much more simpler it can get by not reading those you don't agree with or debates why you don't agree with their message.
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

Cullen also titled a vlog "Indian Chant Practice" and ignored all of the MANY comments telling them that the title was offensive. It's the same as the "nappy hair" comment--it wasn't so much that he said it, it's more that people told him that it was crossing a line and he just ignored or deleted the comments.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Lovethesnark wrote:
He may have left that comment in the vlog because his dad said it and I can excuse him for that because his dad was sick, and not long for this world. Your comment brought to mind a few other comments he's made about native people which upset a few people in the comments. It was when Gaines was a baby. It seems he was just ignorant at the time and he's not repeated them. I don't think that makes him a racist though. I'm older than most of their viewers and I wasn't aware that he was being offensive at the time. I don't recall him defending the comments. Lastly, you are absolutely correct as far as being racist while having black friends, family members, and even being black yourself. It's often complicated.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

japaluvr wrote:
Lovethesnark wrote:

I think most people say things, perhaps in a joking way, at home with family or friends that they would not repeat in front of people they don't know. It doesn't have to have anything to do with race, and often times it's about your own ethnicity or weight, or whatever. I mean, if we can't laugh at ourselves and own shortcomings, life would be extremely stressful.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

quote="WhatSheSaid"]quote="tratra58"]
beautynoob wrote:I'm floored that so many take criticism, accomplishments and/or anything about strangers putting their lives out there for public consumption so personal

Who is taking criticism so personal. I am not sure what you mean.

Not talking about anyone in particular just the fact that people can get so upset about someone not liking something or other about CK

If you are referring to me, I don't get upset if someone has something negative to say about C&K. However, it gets unpleasant to hear the same people picking them to pieces and judging their every move or statement. Surely most of us have encountered these same peopke in real life. They are incredibly negative and don't generally let up. That is what bothers me. There is really no need to bring people down all the time.[/quote]

Actually, you've been the one who are taking things personal by commenting on people who post here as being negative people. The board isn't here for you to make comments on the people who post messages. I don't how much more simpler it can get by not reading those you don't agree with or debates why you don't agree with their message.[/quote]

Perhaps you lost track, I was responding to a question you had about their board. Similarly, I responded to a question ImMom had as well. But I'm going to go ahead and take a moment to point out a concession you made about being "hard" on C&K the week they were dealing with all their belongings. Do you recall? Now, say for example you had a friend that you really liked, and you claim to like her husband too. Now, suppose you came to notice that her husband is very hard on her, highly critical, etc. Let's say you and your girlfriend were working on a special project that was going to take a couple of weeks and her, critical, controlling husband never seemed to let up. Even if he were technically correct in his criticism, wouldn't you start to feel just a little bit unnerved by it all? My point is that even when you are addressing all of C&K's flaws and foibles, it impacts others when it is redundant and particularly harsh. You don't act that way on Bonnie's board, at least that isn't what I've observed. Perhaps C&K don't meet your standards?
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

WhatSheSaid wrote:
japaluvr wrote:
Lovethesnark wrote:

I think most people say things, perhaps in a joking way, at home with family or friends that they would not repeat in front of people they don't know. It doesn't have to have anything to do with race, and often times it's about your own ethnicity or weight, or whatever. I mean, if we can't laugh at ourselves and own shortcomings, life would be extremely stressful.
It's one thing when it's your own race or weight. It's another when it's about someone else. But I pretty much agree that Cullen is less actually racist than ignorant. Which still doesn't excuse it necessarily. Just makes it less hateful. And I have a feeling he probably does say worse things when he's not filming and has had a few beers. But obviously I don't know for sure, and as long as he's not posting it and defending it, I can't really say anything. I just have this mental image of him and Bryan sitting in the beach house, having a couple of beers and rambling on about how "white privilege is BS". Just ignorant.

beautynoob
Talker
Talker

Unread post by beautynoob »

I'm surprised they haven't gone to the beach or maybe they're waiting after the school system spring break ends?

Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

It broke my heart watching Cullen talk about his dad today. His dad passed away just a few days before my aunt passed from cancer. It brought up so many sad memories. I'm glad Cullen isn't afraid to show himself crying and his emotions on the vlog.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”