Bonnie and Joel: Not Every Day Is A Rational Day (Part 9)

alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Not Every Day Is A Rational Day (Part 9

Unread post by alym0326 »

rogi822 wrote:First off I feel like most folks are probably jealous. I mean who wouldn't want to go to Hawaii for a whole month and live. I know I sure would and think it's awesome they get to do this. I also don't feel like pulling Cody and Olivia out of school is a huge deal. I would have a way bigger problem if they were in high school where what they learn actually will have an impact. I say good for them. I sure wish my family had this opportunity. Maybe I'm a bad parent for thinking that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure I'd love to go to Hawaii for a whole month, but if I had children I would NEVER consider doing it during the school year. Also I disagree that what they are learning now doesn't have as much of an impact as what they would learn in high school - what Cody is learning now is setting him up for high school, I had a student in November who was in grade 3 - but was at a kindergarten level, he didn't know his vowels, any punctuation, when to use capitals, he knew the bare minimum because he missed 4 months of grade 1 to go to India. Codys learning how to read, I don't see how that isn't very impactful. That's just my opinion based on my personal experience being a tutor for kids from bostons age to Olivia's.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

For kids interested in animals and nature, Hawaii is actually really interesting. When we took our son a few months ago, he had a great time finding hidden tide pools and exploring the rocks and getting to know the fish. He'd research the different species and try to find them all. We noticed the different birds and bugs, and learned all about the differences between the island and mainland. School comes easily to him, so he rarely comes home with the same enthusiasm and excitement he had that trip. He learned a lot, talked to the people and saw how different people lived (poverty is more evident there than here) and this is why I'm excited for the Hoellein kids to explore and do the same.

My son leads a privileged life and has been on trips like Disneyland many times, but it was that trip just exploring and wandering around and watching him find so much excitement and eager to learn, that made me feel like we were doing right by him. I just can't see it as a bad thing.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

amyfalafal wrote:
pendleton wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:I'm withholding judgement on the "exposing the kids to other cultures" until I see just how much exposure they get. If all they do is go to the beach and snorkel, then it won't be exposing them to much. And I know I am beating a dead horse, but two of them aren't going to remember it. So all the luaus won't do them any good. What big cultural exposure are you all thinking the kids are going to get at their age on a tourist visit to Hawaii?
My sister is a dance history professor, and she posted a really fascinating article about how the Westernization of the "Hula girl" has trashed Hawaiian culture. It's long, but worth a read. I just don't really believe they're really going to be exposed to much diversity at all.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/article ... ed-hawaii/

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I expect everything to be "fun" and "cute" and for Joel and Bonnie to make a lot of their weird faces. I too am wondering how much cultural exploration and history the kids are going to learn about.
Okay, I posted how I dont think theres anything wrong but yes, lets wait and see how exposed they will be. I hoped this for Daily Bumps when they spent 2 weeks in the Disney place in Hawaii (sorry I dont even care what its called), and they didnt explore the island at all.
I don't think they were there two weeks were they?

But DB would never expose themselves to people. They only keep to their kind.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Avoiding a big quote tree:HS, I know you relate to Bonnie a lot, but I honestly think this is one area where you differ. I don't think exposing her kids to other cultures is important to her. Or even learning about the fish. She'll enjoy taking them snorkeling, and _looking_ at the fish, but I just don't see her encouraging them to do what your son did. Your kids' learning experiences and education are obviously really important to you, but I don't think that is something you and Bonnie have in common. You've said your kids have educational apps on your tablet, and you've talked intelligently about learning through play. So I just don't see the similarity. Can you really see Bonnie sitting down and learning about the fish with Cody? I will be surprised if they keep up with the homework.

pendleton
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pendleton »

amyfalafal wrote:I don't see anything wrong with Bonnie taking her kids from school for a once in a lifetime experience. Did you guys notice how appreciative her kids were for this holiday? They clearly dont do this often enough to be a concern. Education is important I dont disagree. She got their homework, I know she'll work on it, or we'll just have to wait and see. I also think life experience is very important. Experiencing diversity at a young age is important, seeing different cultures is important. Someone mentioned Logan, UT is very conservative and predominantly white, so exposing her kids to the Hawaiian culture is so important and less expensive than travelling internationally. Life experience is as important as education. If she doesn't abuse holidays like Daily Bumps do, then I think her kids will grow up just fine.
I'm not sure this is a once in a lifetime experience, at least not in the sense of "now or never." The Hoelleins aren't restricted by work schedules since they work from home. They have much more flexibility than most families who work.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Apart from the debate over whether B & J should have taken the kids out of school, I really hope they find ways to make this trip an educational opportunity. The kids will appreciate it more if they actually understand where they are. Do they know where Hawaii is? Do they know there is more than one island? Do they know there's a Hawaiian language? Do they know about the U.S.S. Arizona? Will they learn about all the different plants that grow in Hawaii? Will they participate in any cultural traditions (that are actually authentic)? Do they know about volcanoes? Will they go to museums? Etc. etc.

All of these are educational opportunities B & J could take advantage of. Or they might just go to the pool/beach every day and give the kids no real understanding of where they are or what they're doing there.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

lmmomSD wrote:Avoiding a big quote tree:HS, I know you relate to Bonnie a lot, but I honestly think this is one area where you differ. I don't think exposing her kids to other cultures is important to her. Or even learning about the fish. She'll enjoy taking them snorkeling, and _looking_ at the fish, but I just don't see her encouraging them to do what your son did. Your kids' learning experiences and education are obviously really important to you, but I don't think that is something you and Bonnie have in common. You've said your kids have educational apps on your tablet, and you've talked intelligently about learning through play. So I just don't see the similarity. Can you really see Bonnie sitting down and learning about the fish with Cody? I will be surprised if they keep up with the homework.

I do think she enjoys watching them play because we've seen them do so in the yard. She may not research the things that interest her children as much as I do, but I bet she could appreciate exploring tidepools and swimming in the ocean with them.

They may not get as much out of HI as my son has, but the potential to gain a lot is there, generally speaking. It may be a bad idea for Bonnie and Joel to pull their kids out for so long (time will tell), but my position is that it isn't as black and white as many posters here are making it . There can be some really positive experiences from families prioritizing a trip over school.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

lmmomSD wrote:Avoiding a big quote tree:HS, I know you relate to Bonnie a lot, but I honestly think this is one area where you differ. I don't think exposing her kids to other cultures is important to her. Or even learning about the fish. She'll enjoy taking them snorkeling, and _looking_ at the fish, but I just don't see her encouraging them to do what your son did. Your kids' learning experiences and education are obviously really important to you, but I don't think that is something you and Bonnie have in common. You've said your kids have educational apps on your tablet, and you've talked intelligently about learning through play. So I just don't see the similarity. Can you really see Bonnie sitting down and learning about the fish with Cody? I will be surprised if they keep up with the homework.
I agree, but I also think it's going to be hard for them to do much with four little kids! Snorkeling?? In the ocean?? I don't think that's a good idea at all. Are there other people coming over to babysit all these kids?? Certainly one person has to be watching Lincoln all the time, so who will take the kids out swimming one at a time? I don't think they've even ever been to a beach and Hawaii isn't exactly known for calm waters. Even Olivia is probably not old enough to swim in the ocean without supervision - a lifejacket doesn't really help if you get caught in a rip current (OK, it will help a little, but it's still super dangerous).

I'm guessing their rental house has a pool and that's what they'll do all day. I think Bonnie loved her all-girls trip, but they didn't do a lot of kid-friendly activities on that trip.
JM16Canada
Talker
Talker

Unread post by JM16Canada »

Am I alone in saying I don't think there is anywhere I would want to vacation for an entire month? I like to travel when I can afford to, but wouldn't want to be away from home that long.

YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

JM16Canada wrote:Am I alone in saying I don't think there is anywhere I would want to vacation for an entire month? I like to travel when I can afford to, but wouldn't want to be away from home that long.

It would be kind of an overkill for me. I love to travel as well, but that would be too much for me (even though the thought of vacationing for a month sounds relaxing). It's going to seem especially long for the kids.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

JM16Canada wrote:Am I alone in saying I don't think there is anywhere I would want to vacation for an entire month? I like to travel when I can afford to, but wouldn't want to be away from home that long.

I could never be gone a month. I'd worry too much about my pets. Hawaii is my favourite place on earth, but only for awhile. Where my pets are is always better.
shewolf_07
Talker
Talker

Unread post by shewolf_07 »

Bonnie is a stay at home mom and Cody didn't even know his ABCs at 5 freaking years old before starting kindergarten. What makes people think she will ensure her kids catch up while on VACATION! :D This should be interesting. Olivia is a beautiful girl with a big heart but honestly, I don't think she's the sharpest tool in the shed, which was probably a reason the teacher wasn't too thrilled about her leave of absence. It's a pity how trivial education is to these folks.
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

I just find this whole trip impulsive. Bonnie got back not that long ago and was so in love she had to go right back. She says she wants to share this experience with her children, but trust me, they can wait for school to be done. And even if it's more expensive in the summer, well go one less week. Bonnie has said multiple times she is inpatient while helping the kids with homework. Well there's only so much help Joel can do and imagine how much more frustrating the homework will be when it's on subjects they haven't even been taught yet.

Only benefit of this "spring break" hawaii trip is no Ellie in the vlogs.
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

There's no chance they complete three weeks worth of homework assignments while on vacation, let alone actually teach/learn the curriculum or anything about Hawaii
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Denlillehavfrue wrote:I just find this whole trip impulsive. Bonnie got back not that long ago and was so in love she had to go right back. She says she wants to share this experience with her children, but trust me, they can wait for school to be done. And even if it's more expensive in the summer, well go one less week. Bonnie has said multiple times she is inpatient while helping the kids with homework. Well there's only so much help Joel can do and imagine how much more frustrating the homework will be when it's on subjects they haven't even been taught yet.

Oh Ellie will be there. Give it a week or two. They think they have a positive pregnancy test on the horizon, and I'm sure nothing would be more perfect than finding out in "paradise."
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

HelloSweetie wrote:
Denlillehavfrue wrote:I just find this whole trip impulsive. Bonnie got back not that long ago and was so in love she had to go right back. She says she wants to share this experience with her children, but trust me, they can wait for school to be done. And even if it's more expensive in the summer, well go one less week. Bonnie has said multiple times she is inpatient while helping the kids with homework. Well there's only so much help Joel can do and imagine how much more frustrating the homework will be when it's on subjects they haven't even been taught yet.

Oh Ellie will be there. Give it a week or two. They think they have a positive pregnancy test on the horizon, and I'm sure nothing would be more perfect than finding out in "paradise."
she better only be there for a week max! I can't stand her. And every vlog will be titled "romantic setting for baby making", "island fever = baby fever"
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

I love how they traveled with 1 forward facing seat for 4 children, 1 should be rear facing, 2 should be harnessed and Olivia should be in a high back booster. Bonnie pisses me off so much that they are so incompetent.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

ewokfan11 wrote:
I agree, but I also think it's going to be hard for them to do much with four little kids! Snorkeling?? In the ocean?? I don't think that's a good idea at all. Are there other people coming over to babysit all these kids?? Certainly one person has to be watching Lincoln all the time, so who will take the kids out swimming one at a time? I don't think they've even ever been to a beach and Hawaii isn't exactly known for calm waters. Even Olivia is probably not old enough to swim in the ocean without supervision - a lifejacket doesn't really help if you get caught in a rip current (OK, it will help a little, but it's still super dangerous).

I'm guessing their rental house has a pool and that's what they'll do all day. I think Bonnie loved her all-girls trip, but they didn't do a lot of kid-friendly activities on that trip.
Yet another reason to take a short trip now, and save for a longer trip once the kids are bigger. I still think with Boston and Lincoln being so young, this trip is much less about "making memories" than Bonnie having island fever and getting her way.

crowmtmom78
Informer
Informer

Unread post by crowmtmom78 »

tratra58 wrote:
bffb3 wrote:I don't think the kids missing school is that big of a deal. If I had the money to spend a whole month with my family in Hawaii, I would do the same. As long as they do their homework, they'll be fine. When they are older, they are not going to remember that month of school they miss, they'll remember all the fun they had.
School should come over family fun and the United States already is on the low end of required educational days. I don't think Olivia or Cody are at the top of their class. I wonder if Olivia's teacher expressed her disapproval since she felt she couldn't afford to miss any class instructions.
I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't come back and realize that her kids are behind in school and decide it is the school's fault and then decide to homeschool them. That's what Ruby did with Chad and is doing now with him because he can't get along with his peers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
LydiaE
Informer
Informer

Unread post by LydiaE »

shewolf_07 wrote:Bonnie is a stay at home mom and Cody didn't even know his ABCs at 5 freaking years old before starting kindergarten. What makes people think she will ensure her kids catch up while on VACATION! :D This should be interesting. Olivia is a beautiful girl with a big heart but honestly, I don't think she's the sharpest tool in the shed, which was probably a reason the teacher wasn't too thrilled about her leave of absence. It's a pity how trivial education is to these folks.
I didn't watch the latest vlog but did Olivia just miss a week or so at the beginning of the school year for a family trip as well? I can see how her teacher/school might be concerned.

Something about this entire family is just off.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”