Bonnie and Joel: Not Every Day Is A Rational Day (Part 9)

staceyeileen
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Not Every Day Is A Rational Day (Part 9

Unread post by staceyeileen »

At my son's school, 15 unexcused absences is considered truancy and the parent may be subject to a fine/legal trouble. I've taken my son out of school before and plan to again in the future, but not for 3 weeks! He has missed 5 days of school this year for 2 vacations -- one was the 3 days before Thanksgiving and the other 2 days before winter break. He didn't miss anything. A week is probably the most I'd take him out of school, 3 weeks is just crazy.

I'm not at all jealous of their trip. My husband and I both work at home also, so we could potentially decide to "move" for a month if we wanted to. And they're not staying at some extravagant hotel or something. I bet these accommodations cost less for a month than the Bumps Disney accommodations for a week at the GF and Four Seasons. It's just such a poor decision for Olivia and Cody.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Bonnie states "Some have asked why we didn't wait to summer." "We just didn't want to, we didn't want to wait."

I am assuming it is quite possible teachers of Olivia and Cody watch their vlogs. If I were their teacher, this vlog would really bug me. There are actual laws in Utah that looks at Truancy. I don't see how this trip to Hawaii would be consider essential and it appears the discussion with the teacher was asking for homework and not asking if it was ok. All the school district would have to do is watch their daily vlogs and recognize this is nothing more than a family vacation or an invalid excuse to miss a month of school.

Image being ask to return to Utah and discuss why their children are missing school....

http://libertasutah.org/center-for-indi ... ic-school/

According to Utah’s compulsory education statute, a “compulsory education violation” notice is sent to a student’s parent if that student has been “absent without a valid excuse at least five times during the school year.” After being served with such a notice, it is a class B misdemeanor—which carries up to six months of jail time and a fine of $1,000—for the parent to “intentionally fail to meet with the school authorities” to discuss the “attendance problems,” or to “intentionally fail to prevent the school-age child from being absent without a valid excuse five or more times during the remainder of the school year.”

The operative question then becomes, what is a “valid excuse”? According to statute, a valid excuse is an illness, a family death, an approved school activity, an absence permitted by a student’s Individualized Education Program (for children with disabilities), or an excuse approved by the local school board. In short, opting to go on a family vacation, job shadowing somebody in a field of interest to the child, or simply deciding to do something important to the child or family other than school on any given day is an “invalid” excuse and therefore may lead to criminal enforcement of the law.

By way of comparison, other class B misdemeanors include: assault, driving under the influence of alcohol, prostitution, voyeurism, and unlawful sexual activity with a minor.
Last edited by tratra58 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
staceyeileen
Informer
Informer

Unread post by staceyeileen »

Does anyone know where in Hawaii they are?
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:This makes me so nervous. I would have this couch taken out asap if it were me. Small kids on a couch right next to a balcony is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That kid is a climber. How can you miss this potential accident... :(
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Scar2016 wrote:Bonnie: Pine trees for palm trees
Joel: Foilage for foliage

It's interesting they're addressing almost all the comments made here. Were the same comments made on their vlog? Does anyone else get the feeling they may buy/build a new house after seeing them doing a tour of the rental?

Holy Jesus, Lincoln standing on the sofa on the balcony. :|
"Oopsie!" Yeah, take those kids out of school.
They also addressed the school thing and why they didn't go in the summer.
They're going to let the kids have a "sleepover" on the balcony? "Toddler Vacation Tragedy". With their lack of concern for safety, that balcony and the one outside Olivia's room make me nervous.
Well, we got our "Hawaiian culture". A girl playing the ukelele. Which was invented by a Portuguese guy.
What was the big deal about walking down to the beach? It's vacation. Why make such a big deal about going to the little cove and the kids wanting to get in the water? Is this vacation all planned out to the last minute? I didn't understand what she was going on about. And she's already "missing Utah"? But she wanted to stay a month...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Bonnie and Joel: Not Every Day Is A Rational Day (Part 9)

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

staceyeileen wrote:Does anyone know where in Hawaii they are?
The west side of Oahu (Ko Olina). Same area DB went on both trips. I highly recommend that area it to anyone.

Someone mentioned yesterday about the ocean currents being dangerous for kids. They likely have access to the Ko Olina lagoons, and those are probably as "kid friendly" as the ocean can get. She either lucked out, or did her research.

ETA: I hadn't finished watching when I posted. Yes, they can swim in the lagoons.
Last edited by HelloSweetie on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

staceyeileen wrote:Does anyone know where in Hawaii they are?
They can see Aulani from their balcony.
I can't believe they just let the kidses run around unsupervised in a strange neighborhood.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

tratra58 wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:This makes me so nervous. I would have this couch taken out asap if it were me. Small kids on a couch right next to a balcony is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That kid is a climber. How can you miss this potential accident... :(
They are all climbers. I really notice it with Olivia because my oldest is closer to her age. Every time she stood on the chair or couch I thought "sit down!" That would drive me crazy on my house. Plus the big ones teach the younger ones how to act, so if Olivia climbs/stands on things, Linc will too.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

lmmomSD wrote:

It's interesting they're addressing almost all the comments made here. Were the same comments made on their vlog? Does anyone else get the feeling they may buy/build a new house after seeing them doing a tour of the rental?

They're going to let the kids have a "sleepover" on the balcony? "Toddler Vacation Tragedy". With their lack of concern for safety, that balcony and the one outside Olivia's room make me nervous.
Well, we got our "Hawaiian culture". A girl playing the ukelele. Which was invented by a Portuguese guy.
What was the big deal about walking down to the beach? It's vacation. Why make such a big deal about going to the little cove and the kids wanting to get in the water? Is this vacation all planned out to the last minute? I didn't understand what she was going on about. And she's already "missing Utah"? But she wanted to stay a month...
Ref not wanting/letting the kids in the water, it's because it was Sunday and she said she was trying to keep the Sabbath, which in Mormon culture equates to not going outside the house and partaking in fun activities (a leisurely stroll was acceptable in Bonnie's opinion but the kids had other ideas. And let's be real, she was kidding herself seeing as it was the kids first time to see an actual ocean). Mormons are allowed to go to families houses for a family gathering/meal iirc but that is all. Maybe that's why Bonnie felt they needed a month in Hawaii because they're going to miss over half a week (4 Sundays) obeying the Sabbath (#SarcasmSortOf).
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

chipmunks wrote: I see they put that on that video, but I would swear they've talked about him in the Philippines, and even talked about candy there. I only remember because I have access to some Philippines stuff and thought about sending stuff to them... which is embarrassing to admit now.
I'm pretty sure Bonnie and Ellie have an aunt who is from the Philippines. It's not totally uncommon for Mormon guys to marry a woman they met on their mission (they obviously can't date when on a mission, but they sometimes meet someone while serving), so maybe it was their uncle who served his mission in the Philippines?? I know my Mormon cousin served his mission in Japan and met his future wife there - and he's lived there almost ever since.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Scar2016 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:

Ref not wanting/letting the kids in the water, it's because it was Sunday and she said she was trying to keep the Sabbath, which in Mormon culture equates to not going outside the house and partaking in fun activities (a leisurely stroll was acceptable in Bonnie's opinion but the kids had other ideas. And let's be real, she was kidding herself seeing as it was the kids first time to see an actual ocean). Mormons are allowed to go to families houses for a family gathering/meal iirc but that is all. Maybe that's why Bonnie felt they needed a month in Hawaii because they're going to miss over half a week (4 Sundays) obeying the Sabbath (#SarcasmSortOf).
Ok-- thanks. I missed part of the beginning, and I couldn't figure out what she was going on about. But yeah, it was pretty nuts to walk them down there and think they weren't going to get in the water! Did she forget already how she felt when she first saw the ocean? And worrying about that rather than just enjoying the moment and Lincoln sticking his chubby little feet in the water-- take a breath, girl! God will understand!

YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

tratra58 wrote:Bonnie states "Some have asked why we didn't wait to summer." "We just didn't want to, we didn't want to wait."
When she said this, I just rolled my eyes. That's your excuse? When you have kids, sometimes you need to put their needs first.
YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

Also, I totally felt that Bonnie was hinting at E+J being their guests which would make sense because it's their BIRTHDAY MONTH :? They'll definitely be down there. I really wish they would just let B+J do their own thing and not be jealous or try to take their spotlight.
menehune
Informer
Informer

Unread post by menehune »

lmmomSD wrote:

I'm sorry, but I'm from Hawaii and your "Hawaiian culture" comment is fairly dismissive. The ukulele is based on a Portuguese instrument true, but has been adapted into it's current form and is absolutely a part of Hawaiian culture. We are a lot more than what our ancestors did back before settlers came. It's a part of our identity, just as much as hockey is to Canadians, bagpipes are to Scotland or surfers are to California (where I currently live). Hawaiians are proud of their culture, and a person sitting on the beach playing the ukulele is a fairly natural occurrence. If you hate it fine, but it is Hawaiian. It's not like Bonnie was at a resort where that girl was "set up" to do that. I know that place well, and it's a public area.

I side-eye some of the things Bonnie does, and think the trip is probably going to be a little long for them given that they have never been away this long, but I'm really surprised by the level of criticism this board seems to have over Hawaii as a travel destination. People travel to Oahu all the time with kids and do just fine. People are acting as though it's a really random place and not one of the top travel designations in the world! If it isn't your choice then fine, but that doesn't mean it isn't for many others. Not everyone needs (or wants) to do Disneyland.
menehune
Informer
Informer

Unread post by menehune »

YouTubeIdiots101 wrote:Also, I totally felt that Bonnie was hinting at E+J being their guests which would make sense because it's their BIRTHDAY MONTH :? They'll definitely be down there. I really wish they would just let B+J do their own thing and not be jealous or try to take their spotlight.
If Bonnie and Joel have paid for the month then E&J would have a free place to stay. Of course they are going to get in on that! E&J are all about saving money and being frugal ;)
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

menehune wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:

I'm sorry, but I'm from Hawaii and your "Hawaiian culture" comment is fairly dismissive. The ukulele is based on a Portuguese instrument true, but has been adapted into it's current form and is absolutely a part of Hawaiian culture. We are a lot more than what our ancestors did back before settlers came. It's a part of our identity, just as much as hockey is to Canadians, bagpipes are to Scotland or surfers are to California (where I currently live). Hawaiians are proud of their culture, and a person sitting on the beach playing the ukulele is a fairly natural occurrence. If you hate it fine, but it is Hawaiian. It's not like Bonnie was at a resort where that girl was "set up" to do that. I know that place well, and it's a public area.

I side-eye some of the things Bonnie does, and think the trip is probably going to be a little long for them given that they have never been away this long, but I'm really surprised by the level of criticism this board seems to have over Hawaii as a travel destination. People travel to Oahu all the time with kids and do just fine. People are acting as though it's a really random place and not one of the top travel designations in the world! If it isn't your choice then fine, but that doesn't mean it isn't for many others. Not everyone needs (or wants) to do Disneyland.
OK. Point taken. Thanks for that! Didn't mean to be dismissive. What I had read about it was that it was based on an instrument from the Philippines. But if they have embraced it, and taken it into the culture, that's cool.
I would be interested to hear what you think of the grass skirts and things like that, obviously not here, because it's OT.
I don't side eye them going to Hawaii at all. I would love to go back-- I haven't been since I was 14. I question taking the kids out of school for this long, and saying they're doing it for the memories, when Boston and Lincoln won't remember it. Hawaii is great. It's beautiful, and there is so much amazing stuff to do there that they can't do in Utah.

ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

I actually wonder if E&J are really coming to visit. That condo is a lot smaller than I expected (there's only ONE bathroom?), so adding 4 more people would be really crowded - also rentals usually have a limit on the # of guests. Maybe they are flying Bonnie or Joel's parents out??

I really thought they'd get a bigger house with a pool. Having to drive to the beach everyday can be a hassle - especially the parking! Maybe the condo they are staying at has a community pool??
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

ewokfan11 wrote:I actually wonder if E&J are really coming to visit. That condo is a lot smaller than I expected (there's only ONE bathroom?), so adding 4 more people would be really crowded - also rentals usually have a limit on the # of guests. Maybe they are flying Bonnie or Joel's parents out??

I really thought they'd get a bigger house with a pool. Having to drive to the beach everyday can be a hassle - especially the parking! Maybe the condo they are staying at has a community pool??
They are at a little beach resort. There are some nice gardens, a lot of grassy areas for the kids and a beautiful pool. It's actually a really good deal for that area, but has a minimum 29 day stay to book. They can also use the Ko Olina beach and sports club and all of its amenities free of charge. It works out to less than $175 a night even if they didn't get a deal. To put it in perspective, they are paying the same for a month that many of us pay for a week in that area. I think the max guests are 6 people though, so I don't know how they plan to have guests.

Yesterday when I said Hawaii was my favourite place on earth, Ko Olina was actually the place I was talking about. I hope they take in the luau next door at Paradise Cove. The kids would really like it and it's a much more authentic experience than the Polynesian Cultural Centre.
nc_mom
Talker
Talker

Unread post by nc_mom »

Those children are not taught basic manners. You don't let them climb over all the furniture in a hotel or vacation home. The place they are staying at is being rented to them and owned by someone else. The least they could do is respect other's property. The kids should never be left alone out on the balcony as it is a tragedy waiting to happen. They don't seem to have an ounce of common sense between them.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Correction. Found the exact unit they rented and it's a lot cheaper to rent in April and May. They save about $1000 (which I'm sure is nothing in YT money), but I'm sure that was a factor in deciding to go now. That, and availability looks minimal in that area for monthly rentals.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”