• Advertisement

Cullen and Katie: House Woes Part #9

Re: Cullen and Katie: House Woes Part #9

Postby menehune » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:17 am

tratra58 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:E&J got sent a bunch of Dr Pepper, so even if they're not getting _paid_, they're getting free stuff. I kinda agree that maybe some of Sam's "We could do brand deals every day if we wanted to" was bravado. They haven't done one in a while, and he used his Kanye shoes to pay for the trip to Florida. I also think that the "big" earners like DB are spending with no thought for the future. They think it's going to go on and on. And I don't think they make as much as they want us to think. And today's C&K vlog was sponsored by HelloFresh. Which I find interesting because they have done Blue Apron before too. I guess the companies don't care that they've done sponsored vlogs for their direct competition? Makes it seem less about a product that they like than just getting more $$.
I think (don't know for sure) that product placement might have different rules than sponsorship. There have been scenes especially in C&K and E&J vlogs where I have been _sure_ there was product placement going on. With the clutter at C&K's, when I see a clean area on the counter with an item sitting by itself with the label clearly displayed, it sticks out to me. I notice those things in movies too, though, so it's something that I see when others don't.
"Today's a good day because we don't have to be anywhere" Ummm, what makes that different from most days?
I do love them showing Gaines with the "why" questions. That stage is so fun and so exasperating at the same time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sam spoke to supply and demand with the shoes. I would say this is true with YouTube channels is the supply is growing with more and more family channels and the demand is diluting to picking and choosing from so many resulting in less demand.

I believe the companies will evaluate future branding deals based on whether many use their coupon which tells them where the new customer comes from. I still see some, but not a lot of brands with any three of these channels.

I rather be in DB situation even with the idea it might not last forever. They are millionaires and it is hard to say how long it will go on, but they are still in a good position with the kids following them on their channel.

They may make 1-2 million a year, but if you watch religiously they spend every penny of that. They aren't in any better position than anyone and neither is E&J. The smaller vloggers that aren't getting used to the big money, are arguably going to be able to survive a lot better than the larger channels that have a long way to fall.
menehune
Informer

Advertisement

Postby tratra58 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:38 am

HelloSweetie wrote:They free swag E&J get doesn't exactly help them buy shoes for their kids, or pay off the huge landscaping bill. Money is worth more than free swag. They can't save or invest Dr Pepper.

Katie and Cullen are making enough to support themselves in a fairly simple lifestyle right now. They are living in reality. As long as they don't go buy a ridiculous out of budget house, they are set up just fine for the future. Katie has a degree, and if YT were to end in 2,3,5 years, she could find work. Vloggers like E&J, DB don't have any skills. They need to be saving all of their money now for it to last them the next 50+ years, otherwise their lifestyles are going to have to make a downward change. C&K may not have hit 500K yet, but according to SN they aren't suffering for money. It looks like they have sold their house for more than they paid (a great investment) and they take inexpensive vacations.

Sorry, I think vloggers like Ruby, C&K and Bonnie with their older homes, routines, lifestyles may appear to be making far less than E&J, but in reality I don't think that's the case. Cullen and Katie may make less than their fro mods now, but they have the means to continue their current lifestyle after YT and that counts for a lot more income long-term.

I can't image Jared not approaching Coke Cola to see if they can work out a brand deal worth cash.

I see your point about the professions with Katie returning to work, but it might be more of a forced choice than a willing choice. What about Cullen?

That is crazy if DB is spending like this YT life could go on forever. I agree if you live on less, you likely make better choices.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper

Postby menehune » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:15 am

tratra58 wrote:
I can't image Jared not approaching Coke Cola to see if they can work out a brand deal worth cash.

I see your point about the professions with Katie returning to work, but it might be more of a forced choice than a willing choice. What about Cullen?

That is crazy if DB is spending like this YT life could go on forever. I agree if you live on less, you likely make better choices.

Forced choice or not, it's an option. Cullen has skilled training he could return to as well. He just won't make near what Katie has the potential to earn. Regardless, they have options to keep themselves at arguably the same level if YT fails. Why not continue to try it while the kids are young? They are definitely in a better position than their friends (who aren't what I would consider "millionaires" at all). Lets face it, Ellie isn't going to get a job post-YT, and Jared won't make much if he had to return to a Verizon-level job. DB, E&J are all lazy, and this is why they didn't have many good employment options pre-YT. Both couples weren't in the best financial position to start a family, and did so anyway. They are lucky YT worked out for them, because it could have went a different way. What would make us think they are somehow being more responsible and saving up for the future? Not that you should count on an inheritance, but Katie's parent's have a lot of money, and they also might have some of that income come their way later in life. This isn't the case for Bryan, Missy, Ellie or Jared. They need to make choices now that plan for the next 50 years. I don't see it happening.

I get annoyed when people assume that these vloggers are set for life because that just isn't likely from a financial perspective. I'm married to a financial planner, and we save a lot of money for retirement. This definitely means we live off less right now, but thats what you need to do to make sure your lifestyle doesn't have to decline as you get older. Kids get more expensive as they get older, so the vlogger children could start costing these couples more just as YT numbers are starting to decline. Vloggers are basically lottery winners, and like most winners, if they don't save a large portion of that money, it will be gone in a short time. Along with a lot of the assets purchased with that money. Just because someone looks like they have money, that doesn't actually mean they do. It just means they SPEND money, meaning they might actually be in a worse financial position than those that don't appear to spend as wildly. Those people could be saving for a rainy day? Vloggers are selling an image, and I feel like a lot of people are buying it.

Ok, rant over :P
menehune
Informer

Postby tratra58 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:17 pm

menehune wrote:
tratra58 wrote:

Forced choice or not, it's an option. Cullen has skilled training he could return to as well. He just won't make near what Katie has the potential to earn. Regardless, they have options to keep themselves at arguably the same level if YT fails. Why not continue to try it while the kids are young? They are definitely in a better position than their friends (who aren't what I would consider "millionaires" at all). Lets face it, Ellie isn't going to get a job post-YT, and Jared won't make much if he had to return to a Verizon-level job. DB, E&J are all lazy, and this is why they didn't have many good employment options pre-YT. Both couples weren't in the best financial position to start a family, and did so anyway. They are lucky YT worked out for them, because it could have went a different way. What would make us think they are somehow being more responsible and saving up for the future? Not that you should count on an inheritance, but Katie's parent's have a lot of money, and they also might have some of that income come their way later in life. This isn't the case for Bryan, Missy, Ellie or Jared. They need to make choices now that plan for the next 50 years. I don't see it happening.

I get annoyed when people assume that these vloggers are set for life because that just isn't likely from a financial perspective. I'm married to a financial planner, and we save a lot of money for retirement. This definitely means we live off less right now, but thats what you need to do to make sure your lifestyle doesn't have to decline as you get older. Kids get more expensive as they get older, so the vlogger children could start costing these couples more just as YT numbers are starting to decline. Vloggers are basically lottery winners, and like most winners, if they don't save a large portion of that money, it will be gone in a short time. Along with a lot of the assets purchased with that money. Just because someone looks like they have money, that doesn't actually mean they do. It just means they SPEND money, meaning they might actually be in a worse financial position than those that don't appear to spend as wildly. Those people could be saving for a rainy day? Vloggers are selling an image, and I feel like a lot of people are buying it.

Ok, rant over :P

It is a good rant. I like the analogy that some of these YT have hit the lottery. I would not count on inheritance, but it is probably there for Katie, however parents are living a lot longer and this can make a difference from what I've seen or experienced. You really need to depend on yourself with your retirement, but I do think Katie and her sister are likely to see a good inheritance. My guess a trust fund for college with the grandchildren?

Best thing I've seen read... I am going to quote you here since it is so true. "Vloggers are selling an image, and I feel like a lot of people are buying it."

I enjoyed your viewpoint.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper

Postby lmmomSD » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:22 pm

^^^^ This. People say DB have a financial advisor, but I will bet anything they're not listening to him/her. No worthwhile money manager would be OK with the way they spend. They really are acting as if it is going to go on forever. And they have a bunch of people on their payroll. I am positive Bryan hasn't made back what he spent on that stupid album and videos. They have no real marketable skills. Bryan can edit videos, he'll be competing with a bunch of college graduates with the same skills. Missy worked a "tough office job" (snort). And they've both gotten lazy and bad at meeting deadlines.
Bonnie, Ruby, C&K, and even Samika are living with less, and Bonnie and Ruby really _are_ raking it in-- they're not even sharing with a network! They're all going to be in a better space if/when YouTube fails them. I don't know that Katie's going to be able to just run out and find a job, since she's been out of the field for a while. I would think she would need to be keeping up with CEU's. And middle management jobs aren't always easy to come by, especially when you have been out of the regular work force for a while. I will be interested to see what C&K's new house will be like. Hopefully it's not going to be a crazy huge expensive McMansion.

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper

Postby Lovethesnark » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:33 pm

tratra58 wrote:
Lovethesnark wrote:Brand deals make up more than half of all of their incomes. I think we look at views and think their channels are struggling, but I think there's more that factors into how much they're paid for a deal. Samika have been full time since they hit around 20K subscribers. I don't think they've ever relied upon views to make it. Given that they can devote all of Jenn's instagram earnings to saving for their house, I imagine they're doing well. They take several trips a year. It's mostly to visit family, but many times the trips aren't planned too far in advance. I think the same goes for Cullen and Katie. Brand deals keep them comfortable. I think reaching 500K is more of a bragging rights thing. I honestly think if they had just ignored the number they would have crossed 500K by now. Playlist Live usually gives most channels a boost in subscribers. I expect that they'll get there soon.

I continue to believe these channels are not doing all that hot even with brand deals contribute half their income. All these families live with less or may have another source of income. Factor in how much everyone takes out or you don't receive when you work traditional jobs - YouTube, Taxes, SS/Medicare, insurance (health), retirement, saving for college with kids = it is a lot of money they need to take out of their gross pay.

Instagram earnings for what I think is a down payment on a house and a few trips with family isn't too over the top. Big channels are just buying homes without a thought they would need to save for one. The big channels who are making the big money are traveling the world, buy large expensive homes and seem to have unlimited disposable income. I think either you hit it big, or you live on less and in some cases much less.

The growth of all these channels isn't a positive that could affect brand deals. Advertisers want exposure to as many viewers as possible and are willing to pay more if this is what they see in these channel. Add to this, companies are pulling back advertising dollars in YouTube/Goggle with problems where they've place their ads. My impression of Sam who seems like a nice guy is why wouldn't he do all these brand deals if they are available and wasn't he working outside of his YouTube channel when they were at 20,000. Matt wants to be his brother. Cullen sure would like to grow faster. My feeling is these dads have found they like being home vs. working a forty hour week. Can you name all these brand deals they are doing. They have to acknowledge there was a brand deal was part of their vlog and I can think of a few, but not that many. I could be just missing all of them.

I still believe that 500,000 is more than a symbolic mark and Social Blade listed Samika added just 37 new subscribers in the past 30 days. These are red flags to a business. A YouTuber gave reference to a similar views - yet smaller channel subs like Samika and their income saying they counted this revenue to be ten percent of their total income which I could see.

Of course it's important that their channels grow, but I don't think it's only factor. It may not be the most important at this point. I think if Samika and other smaller channels have higher engagement numbers that really appeals to advertisers. They continue to work with the same sponsors so the companies must be happy with the numbers they bring in. You have to keep in mind that marketing on social media is a different type of beast than traditional advertising. It's the closest thing to word of mouth that you can buy. Word of mouth is the biggest influence on consumers. In addition,these companies are saving so much money by hiring Youtubers vs hiring an ad agency to make an ad then paying for ad space. It's usually a win-win for the companies. I think there will be plenty of sponsors for the smaller Youtubers to choose from as long as they have an audience.
Lovethesnark
True Gossiper

Postby tratra58 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Lovethesnark wrote:Of course it's important that their channels grow, but I don't think it's only factor. It may not be the most important at this point. I think if Samika and other smaller channels have higher engagement numbers that really appeals to advertisers. They continue to work with the same sponsors so the companies must be happy with the numbers they bring in. You have to keep in mind that marketing on social media is a different type of beast than traditional advertising. It's the closest thing to word of mouth that you can buy. Word of mouth is the biggest influence on consumers. In addition,these companies are saving so much money by hiring Youtubers vs hiring an ad agency to make an ad then paying for ad space. It's usually a win-win for the companies. I think there will be plenty of sponsors for the smaller Youtubers to choose from as long as they have an audience.

It is an interesting discussion and there are a lot of unknowns, but you make some great points. I enjoyed your viewpoint and it will be interesting to see what their futures hold:)
tratra58
Guru Gossiper

Postby tgo93 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:46 pm

lmmomSD wrote:^^^^ This. People say DB have a financial advisor, but I will bet anything they're not listening to him/her. No worthwhile money manager would be OK with the way they spend. They really are acting as if it is going to go on forever. And they have a bunch of people on their payroll. I am positive Bryan hasn't made back what he spent on that stupid album and videos. They have no real marketable skills. Bryan can edit videos, he'll be competing with a bunch of college graduates with the same skills. Missy worked a "tough office job" (snort). And they've both gotten lazy and bad at meeting deadlines.
Bonnie, Ruby, C&K, and even Samika are living with less, and Bonnie and Ruby really _are_ raking it in-- they're not even sharing with a network! They're all going to be in a better space if/when YouTube fails them. I don't know that Katie's going to be able to just run out and find a job, since she's been out of the field for a while. I would think she would need to be keeping up with CEU's. And middle management jobs aren't always easy to come by, especially when you have been out of the regular work force for a while. I will be interested to see what C&K's new house will be like. Hopefully it's not going to be a crazy huge expensive McMansion.

With Katie going back to work I think it depends on exactly how long she stays out of the work force. I mean at this point she's basically taken a few years out to have/raise kids which isn't an uncommon thing
tgo93
Talker

Postby tratra58 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:35 pm

lmmomSD wrote:^^^^ This. People say DB have a financial advisor, but I will bet anything they're not listening to him/her. No worthwhile money manager would be OK with the way they spend. They really are acting as if it is going to go on forever. And they have a bunch of people on their payroll. I am positive Bryan hasn't made back what he spent on that stupid album and videos. They have no real marketable skills. Bryan can edit videos, he'll be competing with a bunch of college graduates with the same skills. Missy worked a "tough office job" (snort). And they've both gotten lazy and bad at meeting deadlines.

I think the next CK home will be telling lol. How many people depend on Bryan now? It seems like Missy's parents have moved onto the gravy train.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper

Postby andreadlgarza98 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:39 pm

What i really like about C&K is that they are still down to earth not like E&J or B&M which i hate they are just showing off their money their kids are spoiled or they have their favorite child or they don't even care about them and idk i feel like C&K really take care of MG and B as you can see Gaines talks like crazy she's 2 if im not wrong and wow she knows a lot! She is learning like crazy and its funny how you can see ollie o jackson not having her same skill if you can call it like that, i feel like they really take time to teach their kids. Im not saying they are the best parents out there but if you compare them with EJ and BM they sure are

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
andreadlgarza98
Wallflower

Postby sataninwonderland » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:41 am

I've been enjoying the new style of the vlogs. It keeps my attention more than the normal ones.
sataninwonderland
Talker

Postby tratra58 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:23 pm

sataninwonderland wrote:I've been enjoying the new style of the vlogs. It keeps my attention more than the normal ones.

Can you speak to what they've changed? I haven't noticed too much difference?
tratra58
Guru Gossiper

Postby marshmallowfluf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Maybe its because instead of the long boring intro he has started doing little clips (kind of like a preview) at the beginning. Thats a lot more interesting than watching pictures of them play to cheesy music for 1-2 minutes lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper

Postby sataninwonderland » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:47 pm

tratra58 wrote:
sataninwonderland wrote:I've been enjoying the new style of the vlogs. It keeps my attention more than the normal ones.

Can you speak to what they've changed? I haven't noticed too much difference?

Cullen narrates a good amount of the vlog. There are smaller clips with music over them opposed to "boring" 10 minute clips. Even though there's not much difference in content, the way it's presented makes it more interesting. It's what I feel anyway. I do wish there was more of Gaines speaking. She's the most adorable child.
And I hope Cullen doesn't change it back. The response hasn't been too negative, but I know last time he made a major vlog change (the intro song) everyone in the comments were upset and he reverted back to the same song. It was kinda sad. He seemed excited about the new intro.
sataninwonderland
Talker

Postby Strawberry26 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:09 pm

I wonder what things they need to tell us in tomorrow's vlog. Cullen said something while at JK's house in today's vlog about it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Strawberry26
Gossiper

Postby Sarai » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:28 pm

People were complaining about the new vlogging style in the comments. I guess they can't win lol
Sarai
Gossiper

Postby calliepaige84 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Love the new style!!

calliepaige84
Gossiper

Postby beautynoob » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:48 pm

I bet jk going to playlist with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
beautynoob
Talker

Postby tratra58 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:17 pm

beautynoob wrote:I bet jk going to playlist with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was a good guess and I think you are right!!
tratra58
Guru Gossiper

Postby lmmomSD » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Sarai wrote:People were complaining about the new vlogging style in the comments. I guess they can't win lol

You just can't please everyone. Cullen is going to make himself crazy (crazier) if he tries.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper

Postby tratra58 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:51 am

lmmomSD wrote:
Sarai wrote:People were complaining about the new vlogging style in the comments. I guess they can't win lol

You just can't please everyone. Cullen is going to make himself crazy (crazier) if he tries.

At some point, I think he'll need to stick with something he likes and let it go. He has tried several things to what I think is to increase views/subs. I think he is a bit hyper and it shows in how he changes up the vlog format.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper

Postby tratra58 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:52 am

lmmomSD wrote:

At some point, I think he'll need to stick with something he likes and let it go.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper

Postby askeptichere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:09 am

I bet the new editing style lasts a week or so. It seems like it would take a lot of extra time. It's a nice change, but the background music over the recorded audio, plus a voiceover is too much for me. Like others have said, I like hearing what Gaines is saying. Not Cullen talking over everything in a voiceover.

And whoever guessed J&K were going to Playlist, I bet you're right.
askeptichere
True Gossiper

Postby beautynoob » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:50 am

I like the style but I agree with those who think it seems more "produced", therefore comes across a lot less genuine

beautynoob
Talker

Postby lmmomSD » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 am

askeptichere wrote:I bet the new editing style lasts a week or so. It seems like it would take a lot of extra time. It's a nice change, but the background music over the recorded audio, plus a voiceover is too much for me. Like others have said, I like hearing what Gaines is saying. Not Cullen talking over everything in a voiceover.

And whoever guessed J&K were going to Playlist, I bet you're right.

I definitely didn't like the background music when they were at the beach house. Especially when it was loud in the background already and Cullen was putting in those clips of Steve Carell yelling about "loud noises". And I love hearing Gaines. But maybe they don't want us to hear Gaines as much because you never know what's going to come out of a little one's mouth..

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper

PreviousNext

Return to Cullen and Katie