LDS Thread

This section houses all of the debates and discussions held in the Boxing Ring.
rdt1004
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LDS Thread

Unread post by rdt1004 »

HelloSweetie wrote:I read on the ex-Mo Reddit that a lot of men will find a young girlfriend (16 or so) just before they go on a Mission, so they will have a fresh out of high school (and ready to marry) girlfriend by the time they get back. How sick is this? No wonder it's common for young women like Ellie to get married so young!

The ex-Mo Reddit is fascinating by the way. Everyone should check it out.
I love the ex-mo Reddit. I often check it often to see if Mormon vloggers have popped up on their radar and to see their opinions, but there's not much except a few threads on the Shaytards with few comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rdt1004
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by rdt1004 »

natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

I am really curious to know if anyone knows if Mormons observe Good Friday the way many Christians do. In my culture and country, Good Friday is a very solemn day, where stores are closed, there's no school or work, etc. I am not sure I quite understand how it's done in the US. I think stores and things are still open? It seems that LDS families don't necessarily see Good Friday as sacred or solemn as I thought they might. I'm a little confused since they observe the 'sabbath' on Sunday and don't do a lot of work and stuff then, but then on Good Friday, they seem to be okay with celebrating Eastery and birthday party things and stuff, where I suspect many stricter Christians would choose not to. Is this a country difference, a religious difference, a "Griffith" difference, oor something else, maybe? ... I'm just a little unsure... Maybe I've misunderstood something. Was I the only person surprised by this?
kgiff77
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kgiff77 »

natalka81 wrote:I am really curious to know if anyone knows if Mormons observe Good Friday the way many Christians do. In my culture and country, Good Friday is a very solemn day, where stores are closed, there's no school or work, etc. I am not sure I quite understand how it's done in the US. I think stores and things are still open? It seems that LDS families don't necessarily see Good Friday as sacred or solemn as I thought they might. I'm a little confused since they observe the 'sabbath' on Sunday and don't do a lot of work and stuff then, but then on Good Friday, they seem to be okay with celebrating Eastery and birthday party things and stuff, where I suspect many stricter Christians would choose not to. Is this a country difference, a religious difference, a "Griffith" difference, oor something else, maybe? ... I'm just a little unsure... Maybe I've misunderstood something. Was I the only person surprised by this?
I'm not sure about mormons and Good Friday but I live in the US and school here are open Good Friday and nothing's closed.

tmmnmd
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by tmmnmd »

With the Tannerites its like, its becoming more and more and more and more a part of their video vlogs every day. If you swap to the beginning of their vlogging career, it's just an random family nothing less, nothing more. Yeah, you see a happy family but LDS wasn't their maintopic. What I hate is they using YT to spread their messages about the church (suddenly tho, that wasn't always like that) but when you are asking about it, they just ignore you. I asked a ton of well constructed questions. It's like all these mormon tubers has something to make right for the LDS Chuch... like to be a role model or "Hey, what the media says isn't true - we are nothing like that." Because "You Are Worth It". But ask them about the 12 year old girl who came out of the closet and was tempered down, in the LDS church, they are keeping their mouth shut. And they know there are watching kids and people out who are everything, but straight, they know it.. but they don't acknowledge it. But yeah, keep telling them they are worth it, because - they are :)
But don't come in to our home or church as a supporter of LGBTQ - is their undertone.
rdt1004
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by rdt1004 »

This threads been dead for a while, but I wanted to bump it and share this video from a pair of exmormons who I've recently subscribed to on youtube. Their channel name is Zelph on the Shelf and they're two young exmos who just make videos about their experiences and reading lds articles and news. This video is on 2 dating tips they have for exmos and a little insight on the indoctrination on getting married asap and how the churches really pushes that.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

rdt1004 wrote:This threads been dead for a while, but I wanted to bump it and share this video from a pair of exmormons who I've recently subscribed to on youtube. Their channel name is Zelph on the Shelf and they're two young exmos who just make videos about their experiences and reading lds articles and news. This video is on 2 dating tips they have for exmos and a little insight on the indoctrination on getting married asap and how the churches really pushes that.
The push to get married quickly is 100% to grow the membership as quickly as possible, and to discourage any outside exploration that may lead the youth to question the church’s authority.

Staying in the bubble and around “positive” influences is easier to manage.

IHateCilantro
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by IHateCilantro »

thenightowl wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:57 pm
Vincere wrote:Mormons are allowed to drink coke and more specifically caffeine, just not tea or coffee.
It kinda makes no sense since the idea is to be healthy and not get an addiction, but the addictive part in coffee is caffeine so they just use other drinks as a substitute. Also, in moderation coffee is actually healthy as compared to coke.
That is the thing that I just can't wrap my head around, I always thought it was because of caffeine and/or because it can be addicting but then after watching Jared for example, he can't live without Dr. Pepper and seems addicted to it. Then I thought maybe because coffee/tea is hot but both can be iced. Maybe someone from the religion could come in and better explain?
When the LDS church was invented there was no coca cola yet
My posts on this board are only my opinion and shouldnt be taken as fact, unless noted

Unread post by Guest »

HelloSweetie wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 pm
rdt1004 wrote:This threads been dead for a while, but I wanted to bump it and share this video from a pair of exmormons who I've recently subscribed to on youtube. Their channel name is Zelph on the Shelf and they're two young exmos who just make videos about their experiences and reading lds articles and news. This video is on 2 dating tips they have for exmos and a little insight on the indoctrination on getting married asap and how the churches really pushes that.
The push to get married quickly is 100% to grow the membership as quickly as possible, and to discourage any outside exploration that may lead the youth to question the church’s authority.

Staying in the bubble and around “positive” influences is easier to manage.

this is from soooo long ago but as someone who used to to be lds YES THIS IS TRUE... when i graduated high school my community wanted me to go on a mission trip or basically start the process of getting married. its how they control you, they get young people before they're even able to get out in the world. ive watched people be discouraged from going into college right after high school because there's this fear that young people are "lose in the faith" and can easily be jaded if exposed to non lds situations which is why in my community girls would graduate high school and volunteer while still living at home, theyd eventually get married, have their first child and THEN go to school. they want you buried in the faith before they feel its socially acceptable to let you mingle with those outside. extremely isolating and it's so common you dont even realize that's what they're doing while they're in it. and if they do go to college? it's literally one of two schools and those schools are normally packed with lds members and kids and some of the professors are lds as well. not to give away my location but the school i was ushered to go to was mainly LDS, for profit and i had so many evangelical studies requirements it almost matched my regular classes. basically half and half

Return to “Debates/Discussions”