Cullen and Katie: Moving On Up | Part 10

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and katie : Moving On Up. Part #10

Unread post by Playsinrain »

auntasaurus19 wrote:Have Cullen or Katie said something in their vlogs that would lead you to believe there is a trust fund in play? I am not asking to argue, I truly am curious.
Nothing has been outright said, but classic "old money".. Katie's father is a doctor, they grew up in a million dollar historic home that is regularly featured in southern home magazines, have a private box at every Alabama home football game and own a beach house. They grew up in the country club, debutante circle. I feel sure that they have trust funds. (I made a joke to someone last week that the hand painted, commissioned, life size portrait of Katie and Kelly that hangs beside the grand piano in GrandDoc/Dolly's house is proof enough to me that they have trust funds.. lol)
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

lmmomSD wrote:The FEET! Noooo. And I didn't need to hear about the no shower day.
Please tell me they're getting rid of the old cat toys. I didn't catch all of what he was saying. I get keeping the old dog's collar, (my daughter kept our old dog's collar too) although keeping it on a box in the garage with old cat toys doesn't honor the dog. If you're going to keep it out of sentiment, put it someplace inside, at least in a little container. They really do hang on to stuff.
I'm pretty convinced that Katie's parents helped them with the house. But whatever. They have the money, and are probably happy to help. My grandfather would give my dad money, and he wasn't even rich. He just figured he'd rather watch us enjoy it. As far as having them look at the house, honestly, if I was buying a house and my parents lived nearby, whether or not they were contributing, I would want them to see it. Maybe not necessarily for approval, but when you're making that kind of investment, another pair of eyes can be helpful.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I think the parents are no longer in a position to give advice to thirty year olds with a house purchase unless they see some structural problems. With adult children, less is better :)

Perhaps put the dog collar in a picture frame in the office would be better memento rather in a box you don't look at. I hope Katie threw out her pregnancy test strips she urinated on and talked about in an earlier vlog. That is saving things to an extreme in my opinion.
emssimone29
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by emssimone29 »

Hi y'all, this is my first post and I'm excited to talk with everyone! I've been watching the vlogs for a few months but I've never watched them religiously. I was wondering if someone could direct me to a vlog where I can get a good look and Grand Doc/Dolly's home. I've heard it's really nice but I've never had a good look at it. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

Lovethesnark wrote:Katie's parents are wealthy. It's likely that it's generational wealth. Her parents have been very generous in the past, so it's not unreasonable to think that there's probably a trust set up for Katie. Her parents seem like to type who would want to see their children enjoy their money while they're here rather than wait until their dead.
If a trust fund was set up, it was set up when she was a child. You can only put so much into a trust fund yearly tax free. That's the reason you set them up as well to pass money from one generation to the next without tax penalties. Her parents may pay for the grandchildren's education without penalty as well. If they just give the money to C&K then taxes would have to be paid. A beneficiary of a trust should only spend income from it and not touch the principle. That way they pass it down from generation to generation. If Katie has one, she seems to have been raised in a responsible way that she won't plow through it.
My father has one. He is not responsible. Has blown through his. Now he says he does not believe in them and people should work for what's theirs. Of course it was all good for him to spend like a fool, just not his kids or grandkids.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

tratra58 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:The FEET! Noooo. And I didn't need to hear about the no shower day.
Please tell me they're getting rid of the old cat toys. I didn't catch all of what he was saying. I get keeping the old dog's collar, (my daughter kept our old dog's collar too) although keeping it on a box in the garage with old cat toys doesn't honor the dog. If you're going to keep it out of sentiment, put it someplace inside, at least in a little container. They really do hang on to stuff.
I'm pretty convinced that Katie's parents helped them with the house. But whatever. They have the money, and are probably happy to help. My grandfather would give my dad money, and he wasn't even rich. He just figured he'd rather watch us enjoy it. As far as having them look at the house, honestly, if I was buying a house and my parents lived nearby, whether or not they were contributing, I would want them to see it. Maybe not necessarily for approval, but when you're making that kind of investment, another pair of eyes can be helpful.

I think the parents are no longer in a position to give advice to thirty year olds with a house purchase unless they see some structural problems. With adult children, less is better :)

Perhaps put the dog collar in a picture frame in the office would be better memento rather in a box you don't look at. I hope Katie threw out her pregnancy test strips she urinated on and talked about in an earlier vlog. That is saving things to an extreme in my opinion.
I didn't so much mean advice so much as just sharing the fun of looking for a new house. I was close to my parents, and C&K are too. It's hard to put into words. I know that what I said sounded like it would be for parental advice, but I just meant that being close to my parents the way C&K are, I would likely share the process with them. Don't know if that makes sense.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

emssimone29 wrote:Hi y'all, this is my first post and I'm excited to talk with everyone! I've been watching the vlogs for a few months but I've never watched them religiously. I was wondering if someone could direct me to a vlog where I can get a good look and Grand Doc/Dolly's home. I've heard it's really nice but I've never had a good look at it. Thank you!

Welcome! I think that when Bryan and Jared were there filming that odious music video, they showed a lot of Katie's parents house. The guys went upstairs to sign the wall on the stairs to the playroom. Someone else may have more ideas for vlogs that show the house.

aggieyorkie
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by aggieyorkie »

lmmomSD wrote:
emssimone29 wrote:Hi y'all, this is my first post and I'm excited to talk with everyone! I've been watching the vlogs for a few months but I've never watched them religiously. I was wondering if someone could direct me to a vlog where I can get a good look and Grand Doc/Dolly's home. I've heard it's really nice but I've never had a good look at it. Thank you!

Welcome! I think that when Bryan and Jared were there filming that odious music video, they showed a lot of Katie's parents house. The guys went upstairs to sign the wall on the stairs to the playroom. Someone else may have more ideas for vlogs that show the house.

That's a good example! I'd also add to that, any of the Thanksgiving vlogs would work too...they always go all out at Granddollys for thanksgiving. Her home is ridiculously gorgeous.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

there are also a few vlogs from last summer that they went over to go swimming and Cullen took some nice drone footage of the property,
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I was looking through the playlists seeing what might have footage of Granddolly's house, and they really don't get a lot of views, do they? The one with the GoPro giveaway only has 39K. One of the ones with the most views is the one about Sophie the giraffe having mold, with a thumbnail that makes it look like it did. They have a few with 200-400K views, but the vast majority have under 60,000. Most of the ones with the most views are ones adults would find interesting: pregnancy, house hunting, things like that. The prank videos, and things like the Troll dress-up one don't get enough views to make them do more like that. I hope they're paying attention.

nc_mom
Talker
Talker

Unread post by nc_mom »

Thegoatsmeow wrote:I didn't realize houses were literally on a golf course! Wouldn't that get annoying watching people golf all the time? To each their own I guess haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would not want a house on a golf course with little children. The danger of them getting hit with golf balls is real. We lived on a golf course years ago and the yard was always littered with balls. Our neighbor had his windows broken several times. It's an ongoing problem and the children can get injured playing in their own yard. I'm wondering if they considered this before buying the house.
teahathspilleth123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by teahathspilleth123 »

nc_mom wrote:How can a young couple afford such a huge mortgage?
Katie and Cullen are not a young couple. They are both in their mid 30's

A young couple on YouTube is Kyra and Oscar from OK baby. They just turned 20 years old and are in the process of buying a house over 500 thousand. But even though OK baby is a young couple they make big money on YouTube unlike Cullen and Katie.

I too wonder how Cullen and Katie can afford a 650k house both being stay at home parents living off a mediocre youtube salary with very little video views. Most of their videos can't even hit 100k views. It doesn't add up.
teahathspilleth123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Let's hope their parents are not buying them the house. How embarrassing. To be a grown adult in your mid 30's and your parents are paying for a place for you to live? That would be humiliating to me!! I would rather live in a shoe box than be 35 years old and still have mommy and daddy supporting me.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

People must enjoy watching their older vlogs. Because their daily vlogs barely break 60,000 views. But on Social Blade, they have 3 million views for the last month. So maybe they're doing better than we think.
OT, but why do all the vloggers have a peak last July? If you look at all of them, they have a spike in July 2016.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

People must enjoy watching their older vlogs. Because their daily vlogs barely break 60,000 views. But on Social Blade, they have 3 million views for the last month. So maybe they're doing better than we think.
OT, but why do all the vloggers have a peak last July? If you look at all of them, they have a spike in July 2016.

teahathspilleth123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Speaking of social blade let's do a comparison:

Here is the amount they make a month according to social blade.

Cullen & Katie $867-$13.9k
Daily bumps $13.4k - $214k
Ellie and Jared $3.6k - 58.3k
OK baby $4.2 - $67.2k
teahathspilleth123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Speaking of social blade let's do a comparison:

Here is the amount they make a month according to social blade.
Keep in mind that nobody actually makes the highest estimate.

A more realistic estimate is below the halfway mark.

Cullen & Katie $867-$13.9k
Daily bumps $13.4k - $214k
Ellie and Jared $3.6k - $58.3k
OK baby $4.2 - $67.2k
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I very much doubt that Cullen could find a job outside of YouTube to comfortably afford a mortgage on a $650,000 home. I think that if YouTube declines for them, Katie will be the breadwinner and I wonder if even that would be enough. She was previously working at a non-profit for a relatively short period of time, I don't think she was making the salary that most people imagine when they think of a psychologists or someone with a PhD. The median salary for child psychologists in the United States in 2011 was around $67K annually, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Experience and geography are big factors. Child psychologists generally speaking make less than other specializations. I think they were comfortable before YouTube, given that they are in a part of the country with a low cost of living and they had a modest mortgage. But I don't think they would be able to maintain this current lifestyle. And even if they did have the down payment on this next home without additional help, the monthly payments seem to be a reach unless they put down a very large down payment.
teahathspilleth123
Gossiper
Gossiper

I agree so much HashtagBlessed.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you have been out of your field for many years it is not easy to get a job anymore. It doesnt matter if you graduated from college 10 or 15 years ago. Thats irrelevnt now. That is the truth in the job market.

Recent college grads in that field are far more sought after and they will get the job way before a mid thirties person who has a dusty degree from 10 years ago and hasn't worked in that job field in many many years would.
teahathspilleth123
Gossiper
Gossiper

I agrer so much HashtagBlessed.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you have been out of your field for many years it is not easy to get a job anymore. It doesn't matter if you graduated from college 10 or 15 years ago. Thats irrelevant now. That is the trutgree so much HashtagBlessed.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you have been out of your field for many years it is not easy to get a job anymore. It doesn't matter if you graduated from college 10 or 15 years ago. That's irrelevant now. That is the truth in the current job market.

Recent college grads in that field are far more sought after and they will get the job way before a mid thirties person who has a dusty degree from 10 years ago and hasn't worked in that job field in many many years would.
teahathspilleth123
Gossiper
Gossiper

I agree much HashtagBlessed.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you have been out of your field for many years it is not easy to get a job anymore. It doesn't matter if you graduated from college 10 or 15 years ago. Thats irrelevant now. That is the trutgree so much HashtagBlessed.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you have been out of your field for many years it is not easy to get a job anymore. It doesn't matter if you graduated from college 10 or 15 years ago. That's irrelevant now. That is the truth in the current job market.

Recent college grads in that field are far more sought after and they will get the job way before a mid thirties person who has a dusty degree from 10 years ago and hasn't worked in that job field in many many years would

Return to “Cullen and Katie”