Cullen and Katie: Moving On Up | Part 10

lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and katie : Moving On Up. Part #10

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

Deadhead_kay wrote:I absolutely love that house and ugh that kitchen is sort of my dream. I would like to know the year the house was built because it's quite beautiful imo. Also those rooms are huge holy crap I'm definitely not used to bedrooms so large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In 1998. So someone else who said it was all breathing the 90ties was right :). Me too, I also like the kitchen area a lot, as well as the kids playroom. I feel like since today I completely see why this is their home. Also I can understand the sense in which the black marble is beautiful (especially quality-wise) and completely understand Katie when she says it will be less pompous when the gold is taken out. You know what the weird thing is, I am not a gold person (neither black marble), but I am catching myself liking the gold faucet in the kitchen, and I don't mind the gold knots on the drawer in the closet room, I think it's actually cute, I live in Europe and I am not used to golden accessories like that, so I wouldn't be able to tell it is outdated, it is completely new to me and I'm actually quite liking it surprisingly.

Lol, Cullen stating today they had a swimming pool in the "neighborhood".

I was quite surprised Gaines didn't take "no" so well today in the background of the video, when Cullen was showing an extra laundry room.
nc_mom
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by nc_mom »

A few of you posted that the house was built in 1998. That is incorrect. It was built in 1989.
lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

nc_mom wrote:A few of you posted that the house was built in 1998. That is incorrect. It was built in 1989.
Oeps, I must have turned around the numbers then!
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

I still think they've overpaid for the house. Where is the $640K?
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

I love the master bedroom, it's GORGEOUS, I love that they have their own porch. I would use the hell out of that! Lol I also love the living room with all that storage. The master bath isn't as bad as I thought. I really don't mind the black tub or counters, although I might toy with replacing the floor, depending on how they redo the rest of the room. I think the black would look better with a little contrast from the floor. Especially the tub. I wish they wouldn't take the shutters off in the kitchen! I really like those in all the rooms! I'm just commenting as I watch, and I love the storm cellar area, that's a major plus in this area. Awesome that they pretty much have a built in recording space as well. I swear this house was just made for them!
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Lovethesnark wrote:I still think they've overpaid for the house. Where is the $640K?
We aren't for sure that's what they paid though.. that was the previous sold price.
I love the house and think they got their money's worth. It's a HUGE house with a ton of custom extras.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

nc_mom wrote:
aggieyorkie wrote:
nc_mom wrote:
It's great exercise, but they couldn't let the kids play out there without supervision with all those steps. Super dangerous. I grew up with a screened back patio that had a huge flight of stairs to the yard like their old house. Even at 5 years old I managed to fall down the stairs and broke my arm.
That's my point...the kids won't be able to play in their new backyard without supervision either as it's open to the golf walkway with all the golfers either walking by or riding golf carts as well as the danger of golf balls hitting them. You would think since their previous house was not kid friendly with a backyard that they would have made that a huge priority when buying a new house. The kids could care less about all those bathrooms, chandeliers and golden fixtures lol...they just want to play especially as they get older. They will not want to be stuck inside or confined to a screened in porch.
The old backyard isn't one they could play in alone either. There was no way of seeing the yard from inside the house or even on the back deck really... I hated how high up the deck was there. You can't see the yard from the kitchen windows. The new back yard is much easier to see from the house. And if you really think about it, if the kids get bonked with a golf ball it's not going to matter if the parent are in the back yard or not. If they are gonna get hit Cullen and Katie can't stop it just I being there supervising. I don't think they will be out there unsupervised in the yard for a good few years anyway. Porch yeah, I can see letting Gaines play there now "alone" while they are in the kitchen or whatever, but not in the yard.
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

The listing has been updated. It sold yesterday for $640K.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

nc_mom wrote:The home they are moving into is really beautiful as is the property surrounding it. I'm curious why they are having such a major lifestyle change? Do they plan on having several more children? How will they keep the house in order? Their current house which is much smaller is always in a state of disarray and clutter. They have toys everywhere, laundry scattered on the floor, kitchen counter tops and sink always covered in food and dishes. The house always looked messy to me and even after they would do a video showing a major clean up the next day it was a mess again! I'm assuming they will hire a maid or cleaning service to maintain the new house. They may have "old money" from Katie's parents but honestly their lifestyle will undergo major changes. The property tax alone on the home is $650.00 monthly. One can only imagine what the mortgage payments will be since this home is over $400,000 more than what they sold their current home for. I'm wondering if this is not a classic case of keeping up with the Jones's (Kelly & Jay!).
My thoughts exactly. They bought this home for $640,000 and sold their previous home for $270,000. The repairs, maintenance, insurance, taxes, principal and interest every month on this home are going to be astronomical compared to what it looks like they're making on YouTube. Unless they are making the very top of their revenue estimates, or around $14K monthly after taxes and their network takes a cut.

If this home is in their price range, then the Mechams and the Lannings were very fiscally conservative with their recent home purchases. I would be surprised if that's the case. (Well, Ellie and Jared seem pretty money conscious, but Bryan and Missy do not.) Katie and Cullen couldn't afford this home in their previous careers. If they have a 15 or 30 year mortgage, what happens if YouTube fizzles out in 5 or 10 years and they have to return to work? I wonder if they are in way over their heads, or if they're bringing in a lot more money than anyone realizes and they're going to pay off this home quickly.
pibachka
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pibachka »

Cullen is walking around every bathroom talking about how all they need to replace is the gold features..... No, Cullen, the gold fixtures are the least of your worries.

What you need to replace are the showers, which need to be tiled, also the incredibly dated countertops, the horrible tiled floors everywhere, and the wood floors need to be sanded and restained to get all that yellow out. You need to refinish those covered porches so they don't rot, the wood is very gray on them. The kitchen and den cabinetry is dated and looks like it was bought off the shelf from home depot for self assembly. The granite floors in the powder room, the granite in the master bath, those tiles are difficult to replace, but they are screaming to be replaced. The wall behind the fridge needs to be moved so the fridge can fit. The appliances and sinks and things need to be updated, so do the light switches. I think they overpaid for this house by a lot. The amount of work that this house needs isn't minor and when it is all said and done they will still have a house that is 28 years old with bad flow. I'm sad for them, because I think at this price they could have done better. Good luck to them on the remodels, the ceilings are pretty.
auntasaurus19
Informer
Informer

Unread post by auntasaurus19 »

galifreyancatlady wrote:Those of you who found the house, is this the correct house y'all found? The $640k one?

Yup.

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

It all comes down to personal taste. We all have things that we would or wouldn't change, but bottom line is, it's not our house. Lol they can change or not change whatever they want, or don't want. They might not put much money at all into this house, and that's great, if they like it!
lalila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by lalila »

When watching the house tour vlog, I thought "how ugly" but when looking at the listing again.... I actually feel like its a nice house with lots and lots of potential.

Much more spacious than EandJ for cheaper for instance.

It's going to be super interesting to see what they actually do with the house.

There was a few things I found super odd, is the main staircase in the kitchen?
calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by calliepaige »

I love the house... However it gave me anxiety thinking about how much money it's going to cost just to furnish it. Lol

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

pibachka wrote:Cullen is walking around every bathroom talking about how all they need to replace is the gold features..... No, Cullen, the gold fixtures are the least of your worries.

What you need to replace are the showers, which need to be tiled, also the incredibly dated countertops, the horrible tiled floors everywhere, and the wood floors need to be sanded and restained to get all that yellow out. You need to refinish those covered porches so they don't rot, the wood is very gray on them. The kitchen and den cabinetry is dated and looks like it was bought off the shelf from home depot for self assembly. The granite floors in the powder room, the granite in the master bath, those tiles are difficult to replace, but they are screaming to be replaced. The wall behind the fridge needs to be moved so the fridge can fit. The appliances and sinks and things need to be updated, so do the light switches. I think they overpaid for this house by a lot. The amount of work that this house needs isn't minor and when it is all said and done they will still have a house that is 28 years old with bad flow. I'm sad for them, because I think at this price they could have done better. Good luck to them on the remodels, the ceilings are pretty.
I know everyone has different preferences and expectations when it comes to homes, but for me personally I agree with everything you wrote above. The interior is very dated and those cabinets look especially rough. The built-ins all look old and dingy. I think they could hold off on the floors for now, but it is nice to have the means to re-stain hardwood floors before you move in because it's such a nightmare to do it after all of your stuff is there. It looks like a typical 80s/90s McMansion built to imitate a grander, older home. Except it's far from timeless on the inside and looks like there's a lot of cheap, builder's grade stuff that hasn't been updated since the 90s. The phrase "they don't build them like they used to" is meant to refer to homes that were built much earlier than 1989. To me it looks like it's trying to be a stately home, but it's not authentic. I just don't see comparable properties in that neighborhood that support the $640,000 price tag.

I feel like they have the same problems with layout and flow in this house that they claimed they didn't like about their old house? There's a formal dining room and sitting room in the front of the house that will never get used. The backyard isn't private and will require supervision. This time the kitchen is closed off from the family room. I'm kind of surprised that the kids will have their bedrooms, the breakfast room off the kitchen, and another playroom upstairs and yet the office is going to be in some tiny room with a washer/dryer hookup and Cullen's "man cave" is an unfinished basement. And the filming room is this tiny space in the basement with poor lighting?
Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

I love the house and the layout. There's so much character. I think an open concept like E&J's is overrated and some say going out of style. When having a dinner party, it's nice to keep the kitchen mess or the caterers from the guests. There's plenty of room in the kitchen for people to gather if that's what they want.
zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

Can anyone PM me the listing for the house? i'm curious what it looks like. I watched the house tour today but I'd like to see pictures too.
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

I'm wondering if they will get a fence though? I can't imagine C&k walking the dogs every time they need to pee. I love the house. I would live there.

pibachka
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pibachka »

A playroom off of the kitchen is a necessity with little kids, and in a previous video Katie talked about how she would love to have more kids (plural). I bet they are planning to fill those bedrooms and playrooms up :D

Cullen said they already have plans to make some changes to the yard, hopefully they will make it more private.
WheresMyCoffee
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by WheresMyCoffee »

Playsinrain wrote:I REALLY love this house. I'm with whoever just said (I can't see it in this reply lol sorry) they love it more than DB or EJ's homes. It just feels so much more homey to me. I cannot wait to see how they change things up.
My only gripe about the home tour is we can't see how everything flows or how it's layed out. I would have loved to see an "uncut" walk through.
Yup, I would also take this over the other ones houses!
Im kinda glad he did it in cuts just because I hate when vloggers show every damn detail of the house so we know the distance the kids sleep away from the parents and every hall/door in the house (intruders)
I cant get over the size of the basement?!

Return to “Cullen and Katie”