Cullen and Katie: Moving On Up | Part 10

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and katie : Moving On Up. Part #10

Unread post by Playsinrain »

Taking a closer look at the living room built ins today in the vlog, the way they are made, idk if they could just easily convert them to open shelving, maybe, but i don't think it would be as easy i had first thought. Not impossible, but it won't be as easy as removing doors..
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Playsinrain wrote:
askeptichere wrote:I wonder how the DBEJCK crew will interact at Playlist this year. I don't follow EJ or DB at all other than when they're in C&Ks vlogs. Are they still as close of friends as they make it seem on their vacations?
Not to me they aren't, I don't watch E&J hardly at all but i havent heard DB or C&K really speak about each other at all. No winter vaycay, no mention of a summer one.. Playlist will be telling. I'm kinda excited to see if things are just the same or if we see C&K keeping their distance. Although... they might put on appearances for a subscriber bump. Plus C&K are too polite to just high hat them... I think we will be able to quickly figure out if they are just using them for a bump and for politeness though.
At Vlogger Fair last year, they had a couple of meals together, but didn't hang out a lot, or post those #squadgoals pictures, or those stupid "Friends" reference pictures. DB was mostly hanging out with Jeff and Natalia and SlyFox, which was weird, because they hardly ever do anything with SlyFox in California. I imagine that at Playlist, it's going to be the same. Ellie and Jared just spent a couple of days at Bryan and Missy's, but it was awkward. You could see Missy side eyeing Ellie in the background of the vlogs. I wonder what the minions make of this. They really bought the "we're bestest best friends" bit.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
auntasaurus19
Informer
Informer

Unread post by auntasaurus19 »

janica wrote:Jared and Cullen are still talking to eachother, don't know about Daily Bumps..
I see they all tweet/retweet one another every once in a while but doesn't seem like the relationship they have on camera.
3BoysandaLilMiss
Talker
Talker

Unread post by 3BoysandaLilMiss »

plus The JK today are going to playlist with C & K also
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I think that as family and friends hoped on the bandwagon, the dynamic between the original group changed. Now Missy's cousin and best friend from high school vlog and go to conferences. All of Ellie's sisters vlog now. Katie's sister has started a channel. I think what originally brought them together was this strange niche market that's now no longer unique. They hang out with their "real life" family and friends at conferences now, not each other. I think when they do try to all get together, it's just too many people.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:I think that as family and friends hoped on the bandwagon, the dynamic between the original group changed. Now Missy's cousin and best friend from high school vlog and go to conferences. All of Ellie's sisters vlog now. Katie's sister has started a channel. I think what originally brought them together was this strange niche market that's now no longer unique. They hang out with their "real life" family and friends at conferences now, not each other. I think when they do try to all get together, it's just too many people.
I agree, this group has gone their separate ways and you see this with no vacations scheduled this year and how this group has expanded well beyond the original DBEJCK.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

It would take a lot for me to just be ok with Cullen doing videos with the Other guys yesterday. Like sure honey, let's do this collab video the 2nd full day of being in this house. Unless it was something they planned in advance and before they knew when moving day would be. But on the other hand it is work and life doesn't stop just Bc you are moving. But It would be real hard to not be passive agressive about them goofing off in the basement while I tried to get the house in order.
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

I think another reason that they don't do much with DB anymore is that Bryan has already tapped in to any audience that EJ and CK have, so he moved on to different channels like Slyfox, Carl&Jinger, etc. There are hundreds of thousands of people who watch Daily Bumps every day versus EJ and CK. Anyone from their audience that is interested in his channel is already watching, so he's moved on to collaborating with others that might not have such a large audience overlap. He might be a douchebag, but he knows what he's doing. He's got nothing to gain from CK's audience, while they could really use the bump in active viewers.
Baconsgirl

Unread post by Baconsgirl »

formerctfxcer wrote:I'll be surprised if they can put a fence up being on the golf course. Most HOAs won't allow them on the course because it ruins the aesthetic for the golfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and for me an added hazard lol. Although it protects windows from my shots.

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:
galifreyancatlady wrote:
staceyeileen wrote:I love the house, but I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact that Cullen and Katie will be sleeping on a different floor than Gaines and Brooks. E+J got crucified for having Jackson on a different floor from them.
I feel like that really has more to do with the fact that Jackson was the only one... and he's in the basement.

And that there was another room upstairs, but they made it into Jared's office. His office could have easily been downstairs. If one kid was on a floor all by his/herself, with C&K and the other kid on another, with a room that could have been used, I would have side eyed it, never fear!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I never thought about Jared's office that could have been a bedroom. I still would have put Jackson and Calvin together. That bedroom is large enough for two kids.
Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

Playsinrain wrote:Taking a closer look at the living room built ins today in the vlog, the way they are made, idk if they could just easily convert them to open shelving, maybe, but i don't think it would be as easy i had first thought. Not impossible, but it won't be as easy as removing doors..
I noticed that on the house tour. The cabinets are varying heights. Open shelving on top would look so much better with picture frames/decor. They could keep the functional storage on the bottom. Too bad it wouldn't be an easy fix.

Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: Cullen and Katie: Moving On Up | Part 10

Unread post by Scar2016 »

Why is Gaines chewing gum (especially while running around playing) at the beginning of The JK Today's 'GIRLS KISS A FROG' vlog? I wouldn't have given my two and a half y/o that given how many toys are 3+ due to small parts/choking. I wonder who gave it to her/ok'd it. :?
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

nc_mom wrote:When I first saw that wall of storage cabinets in the kitchen it immediately reminded me of lockers in school or at the gym...except theirs are painted white. Ugly, ugly imo and so out of date! Why would anyone need such a massive amount of storage? Even the Duggars with 19 kids wouldn't need that lol!!
Because I strongly suspect having a bunch of stuff on your own mini_plantation (read McMansion) also equates to status symbol. All three women in Katie's family are now living in houses far in excess of their needs and filled with crap far out weighing necessity.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

WhatSheSaid wrote:The truth of the matter ís that we really don't have any idea how much they paid for the home. So that is something to keep in mind, even though the last person who purchased it appears to have done so in June of 2016. Perhaps they were in no position to sold it for as much as they paid for it. I don't think there really is a large market for that price range as the homes seem to stay listed for a long time. In any event, on the listing, the mortgage was estimated at just about $2,200 per month. I'm assuming that would be with a traditional 30 year mortgage with 20% down. And while that is too much for most people, it really isn't uncommon in other parts of the United States. It's a bargain in some areas. Katie has mentioned many times that they save for things. Perhaps they saved for part of the down payment? The bottom line is that $640k or whatever they paid for that home is not really an exceptional amount of money but for the fact that it is in Alabama.
Is it possible that Grandolly and Grandoc were guarantors for the mortgage portion? That way they wouldn't have had to give C&K any physical cash but would have secured the mortgage for them by way of disclosing their own assets/home value as a guarantee on behalf of C&K.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I agree, you typically don’t pay down a mortgage significantly in 5 years. They sold the home for quite a bit more than they bought it for when it was in foreclosure five short years ago, but you have to factor in the realtor’s fee, closing costs and the money they put into the house to put it on the market. Plus the maintenance and upkeep over the years, and the interest. The carrying costs of a house are too high for it to be an investment. Homes generally aren’t big money makers, or even great investments unless you get really lucky, and I say this as a homeowner.

Keep in mind that Katie could return to work, but she wouldn’t be making six figures to afford that house. Child psychology is generally speaking a less lucrative field that other specialties. She struggled a bit to find a job post-college and was working for a non-profit, not a private practice. She didn’t have a great deal of experience when she left her job and took time off. Just because she has a PhD, doesn’t mean she has huge earning potential. It depends on the field, where you live, and your level of experience.

Katie may have a revocable trust fund where she is her own trustee, but if that’s the case I would be very surprised if the money comes from multi-generational wealth. Those kinds of trust funds are usually very much protected with a spendthrift clause and managed by an outside trustee in order to ensure that they aren’t spent in a single generation. The beneficiary receives a dividend from the profits the principal generates. It’s possible this is the case and they have been squirreling that money away for the down payment and plan to use those checks to help cover the monthly costs of owning this home. But is there a reason people think Katie’s grandparents were exceptionally wealthy? Her father could be self-made.

I get the impression her parents help with big life purchases, but I doubt she has direct access to that wealth. Her parents live in a house that’s valued at over a million dollars, and have two other properties, but that wasn’t the case when they first bought it. They purchased it for about $250,000 in 1985, or around $577,000 in 2017 dollars, which makes sense if her father was a successful doctor. I think they clearly did quite well for themselves, but I’m not sure I see evidence that they’re trust fund kids. A PhD program generally speaking comes with a tuition waiver and a stipend because you’re working for the university. I think Katie and Kelly went to public universities. If Kelly has a trust fund, I will never understand why she does YouTube as a side gig. She clearly has a lot of hustle even though her husband is a lawyer. I don’t think that would be the case if she was independently wealthy. I also wouldn’t assume the grandparents plan to fully fund the grandchildren’s college expenses. That’s a huge sum of money for 5 grandchildren, perhaps soon to be 6 or 7 grandchildren.

I think it’s very possible that Katie’s parents gave them more money for a down payment on this second house, but I don’t think they’re helping with the monthly payments. If that’s the case, I think this gift gave them an over-inflated sense of what they could afford and they’re in over their heads. Or perhaps they didn't need to put 20% down. Perhaps her parents co-signed the loan as a non-occupying co-borrower. Either way I'd be shocked if they managed to pull together a $128,000 down payment based on their YouTube channel. Again, just comparing them to the Daily Bumps, this makes the Lanning's home purchase look extremely conservative when you compare the purchase prices and the size of their channels.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Nothankyou wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:Taking a closer look at the living room built ins today in the vlog, the way they are made, idk if they could just easily convert them to open shelving, maybe, but i don't think it would be as easy i had first thought. Not impossible, but it won't be as easy as removing doors..
I noticed that on the house tour. The cabinets are varying heights. Open shelving on top would look so much better with picture frames/decor. They could keep the functional storage on the bottom. Too bad it wouldn't be an easy fix.

I think it could still work, but it also seems that some of them have some custom insides (like i noticed one had some "drawers" in it for like a dvd player ect). I personally would still have them opened up, that would probably be my one redo to that living room.
beautynoob
Talker
Talker

Unread post by beautynoob »

The good thing about all those cabinets is that if they go back to their cluttering ways they can stuff their cabinets and we won't see it!

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HashtagBlessed wrote:I get the impression her parents help with big life purchases, but I doubt she has direct access to that wealth. Her parents live in a house that’s valued at over a million dollars, and have two other properties, but that wasn’t the case when they first bought it. They purchased it for about $250,000 in 1985, or around $577,000 in 2017 dollars, which makes sense if her father was a successful doctor. I think they clearly did quite well for themselves, but I’m not sure I see evidence that they’re trust fund kids. A PhD program generally speaking comes with a tuition waiver and a stipend because you’re working for the university. I think Katie and Kelly went to public universities. If Kelly has a trust fund, I will never understand why she does YouTube as a side gig. She clearly has a lot of hustle even though her husband is a lawyer. I don’t think that would be the case if she was independently wealthy. I also wouldn’t assume the grandparents plan to fully fund the grandchildren’s college expenses. That’s a huge sum of money for 5 grandchildren, perhaps soon to be 6 or 7 grandchildren.

I think it’s very possible that Katie’s parents gave them more money for a down payment on this second house, but I don’t think they’re helping with the monthly payments. If that’s the case, I think this gift gave them an over-inflated sense of what they could afford and they’re in over their heads. Or perhaps they didn't need to put 20% down. Perhaps her parents co-signed the loan as a non-occupying co-borrower. Either way I'd be shocked if they managed to pull together a $128,000 down payment based on their YouTube channel. Again, just comparing them to the Daily Bumps, this makes the Lanning's home purchase look extremely conservative when you compare the purchase prices and the size of their channels.
You make an excellent case with what is a feasible overview with CK in great detail. I thought if CK moved up it would be more in the line of JK's former home (400K) and someone else stated this a couple of weeks back and I have to agree. I had figured they pulled in more profit with the sold home, but you are right there were updates (insurance paid for the bathroom) and realtors fees, storage cost and I am assuming the new owners paid closing cost with the house selling so quickly. I had thought the sold house, they profited in the thirty thousand range even with the realtor commission buying at 212 selling at 269. *I will add if you make a claim with insurance, many times your premium goes up that next year.

I have question Kelly "side gig" with YouTube too since I don't think anyone would look at this as any more than work, a hassle for their family and not "we're doing this for the memories." I feel her side YouTube new business is money for house renovations. You are also right this would be a huge amount with a college fund for all their grandchildren, but it could be just a specific amount that wouldn't cover the entire time in college. Otherwise, this is another expense for JK and CK to save for college with several children.

I also agree with the amount you think their YT channel pulls in. So to qualify for a mortgage with a small business I felt either they put a lot down to lower their monthly home cost and to qualify. Banks and mortgage companies would look back a couple of years and their business has not seen a steady growth, but starting last summer, it has seen a decline. YouTube business is historically fairly new and I don't think there is an easy prediction how these business will be doing years from now.

I think inheritance is different today than years ago based on the older generation living longer spending more of their money and their healthcare can be costly that could erode into any money left to children. I enjoyed your well thought out theories. :)
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Kelly could just be using YT as a way to keep herself busy. She has always had a little side job, Mary Kay i know and maybe some other things of the same nature. I don't think Kelly is using YT to put food on her table, maybe to keep shoes in her closet or something.. something for "pocket money", home updates, ect..
nc_mom
Talker
Talker

Unread post by nc_mom »

It seems they are not going to change their habits even living in an expensive, upscale home. I tuned in this morning and what did I see? Unmade bed, clothes and toys scattered everywhere and no organization. What is so difficult about hanging up your clothes and making your bed? They seem overwhelmed at this point. They are still a very small family so they should get their act together before having more children to add to the mess!

Return to “Cullen and Katie”