Bonnie and Joel: Kidses Family Vacation (Part 10)

shewolf_07
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Kidses Family Vacation (Part 10)

Unread post by shewolf_07 »

RootBeerFloatie wrote:This is going to come off sounding really bad but...why do people keep saying that they're smart, bright kids? I think that they're normal kids at best, certainly not academically gifted or far ahead for their ages. And the reason for that isn't because of the kids themselves, but because of their parents not prioritizing their education. They have every opportunity to be miles ahead of their peers, what with two stay at home parents and a shiny new youtube income, but hey at least they got to go to Disneyland!
THIS!!!! Franky, Bonnie has fantastic kids, but the only reaching I see here is people saying how bright they are. Bonnie couldn't care less if her kids fall behind. It's the responsibility of their teachers to get them back in the gist of things right?

P.S. I lose brain cell every time a vlogger says how hard they work. STHU
shortstop
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by shortstop »

In my state your only allowed 15 missed school days for the year then they are questioning being held back
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Meh, I think they are bright. I do not know how they are doing in school, but frankly neither does anyone here. We knew Cody was behind when school began, but we also know Cody's teacher didn't push back at all about him missing a month.

What I do see in the vlogs though, are bright and empathetic children. They ask engaging questions, and appear to grasp concepts relatively quickly. Having volunteered at my son's school every week since Kindergarten (he's grade 4), I have a fairly good idea about the attention span of various age groups, and Cody and Olivia definitely appear mature for heir age. This requires a relative amount of intelligence and empathy. Maybe they aren't ahead, but I don't see anything about them that we could consider slow. Maybe they are behind their peers around the rest of the country, but I would bet they are average for UT.

There is far more to intelligence than just academics. That's big to dismiss it, but the child with the best grades isn't always the brightest.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

It's very true. Bonnie's kids certainly aren't the J House kids...but J House parents CARE about education and educational opportunities.

I just think Bonnie and Joel have lower than average educations themselves, so they don't even know how to prioritize education with their kids. Bonnie seemed to be struggling with 1st grade homework worksheets in Hawaii...that's insane to me. These kids should be in school if their parents can't even help with the BASICS at home.

Did anyone else notice that Parksavers also sponsored Ellie and Jared's Disney trip last month??
pendleton
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pendleton »

shewolf_07 wrote:
RootBeerFloatie wrote:This is going to come off sounding really bad but...why do people keep saying that they're smart, bright kids? I think that they're normal kids at best, certainly not academically gifted or far ahead for their ages. And the reason for that isn't because of the kids themselves, but because of their parents not prioritizing their education. They have every opportunity to be miles ahead of their peers, what with two stay at home parents and a shiny new youtube income, but hey at least they got to go to Disneyland!
THIS!!!! Franky, Bonnie has fantastic kids, but the only reaching I see here is people saying how bright they are. Bonnie couldn't care less if her kids fall behind. It's the responsibility of their teachers to get them back in the gist of things right?

P.S. I lose brain cell every time a vlogger says how hard they work. STHU
Yes---I recall Olivia being in summer school for reading and within this past year thinking the "Tooth Fairy" coin said "Happy Birthday." I don't know, that is how I base that they're not "bright" but average or maybe struggle with reading somewhat.
lyilya31
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by lyilya31 »

Those are not smart kids. They are good listeners and sweet kids but they are not smart.
Cody doesnt know how to write properly,olivia reads from the coin happy birthday abd it says something completely different.
I know kids who are 4-5 years knowing another language to speak, doing math...they dont do anything of that.
You can say everything but that those kids are smart....well they are not.
Olivia is pretty hillarious to me when she talks like her mother or grandmother. She is full of wisdom. Come on kid, learn to write and read.
It sounds ugly but that is how i see them. Not too bright kids but just good actors like their mom.
And joel....ohhh he is another story to tell. All the time he was saying that he will never leave his job and look at him now. Just look at him. What is he? His wifes little boy,running around her the way she wants. Riddicilous.
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

Honestly, going to disneyland is quieter now and less busy. But, I'd be shocked if they didn't hire a tour guide so whether they went now or in summer, the lines would probably be short for them. These kids missed 3 weeks of school, even the brightest child would be behind. Think back to missing even just a day.

IMO, I just don't think Bonnie cares about learning in general, other than piano (which Jennifer installed in her) what else do the kids do. They were in Hawaii for 4 weeks and still don't know how to swim. Bonnie doesn't seem to care about missing school either. A well-rounded education is not a big deal to her.
YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

And that's the thing- we have seen them struggle with reading and such in a few instances. And that's okay. Some kids don't catch on as easily. But, now there is a problem with that.....and the problem is, they don't have parents who constantly work on those issues with them and keep it in their best interest. I definitely agree with the posts above that talk about Olivia being more "full of wisdom". She's always having those little talks with Bonnie and to the camera and so on. She definitely gets that from her mom and grandma. We see that have an affect on her...so if education isn't made out to be a big deal, then.......well, you get it.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I honestly think that for Olivia, they really don't care. If she goes to college at all, it's going to be to get an MRS degree. I know Bonnie pushed for an answer besides "mom" when they asked Olivia what she wanted to be when she grows up, but I don't think she _really_ meant it. I think they expect her to be a wife and mother, and if she can read a cookbook, it's all good. They're making sure Cody and Boston know how to use tools, but not read. Priorities are just a bit skewed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
menehune
Informer
Informer

Unread post by menehune »

I get that people want to pick at Bonnie, but picking on the kids just seems mean. They are by no means dumb kids. Yes the Griffiths often make spelling and grammatical errors in their writing and speaking, know what though? So do a lot of people here. Are you not intelligent?

I agree with HS, academics are not the only indicator of intelligence. We all post our opinions on these boards and let our life experience form our opinion more than anything else. No one is signing their posts with their academic credentials. Does a person with a 4 year degree know more about life than a person with a college diploma? Not necessarily. There are plenty of soldiers fighting overseas with only a high school education behind them, and yet they are seeing and doing more than those of us here. There are plenty of people with learning disabilities like dyslexia or ADD struggling in an academic setting, yet that are bright nonetheless.

We don't know the Hoellein kids well enough to judge their intelligence. They seem bright to me. They certainly don't seem delayed or behind in any way. Yes Olivia didn't know how to read before starting Gr 2, but she certainly does now. Lets not label these children slow when we have no indication how they are doing in school presently (other than assumptions) and when academics isn't the only measure of intelligence anyway.
lyilya31
Amateur
Amateur

There is no excuse if parents take their kifs from school on purpose. They are going to D-land. Disneyland!!! They are not sick or something like that. They are going on a trip. That is not excuse to take kids out from school.
Even a month on Hawaii wasnt an excuse. School is number 1. Then when is vacation in summer time or winter time then you go and take your kids wherever you want but now no.
It is neglecting.
It is ok of parents dont have money to send kids to expensive college or if kids are just not that smart for college.but these are little kids, they are still learning basics and that is the main reason they need stay in school.
I dont care they are allowed to do with their kids what they want but that is not ok. School have to take some measures.
lyilya31
Amateur
Amateur

Kids are bright but they dont know a lot of stuff. They are open to learn just somebody have to learn those kids.
jaynshann
Informer
Informer

Bonnie and Joel: Kidses Family Vacation (Part 10)

Unread post by jaynshann »

Last edited by jaynshann on Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaynshann
Informer
Informer

Unread post by jaynshann »

fossilfinger wrote:
jaynshann wrote:I think she obviously could have planned better, but if she knew her plan was month off, week back, week off she should've pulled them before Hawaii and enrolled them as online homeschoolers. She's commented she can't even handle homework with them. Put them online. At least it would have given them more of a thorough end of the year education.
How can kids do online schooling successfully when they can barely even read?

I am a teacher in one of the worst areas for education in the country, and the only students who do worse than the lowest-achieving public school students are those attending online school.

I feel like this issue is one that most people in education can understand. If kids miss fundamentals in lower grades, it has a domino effect. They will fall behind. The things that kids learn in the early years are super important - probably the MOST important skills that actually apply to real life! Reading, spelling, grammar, basic math! Kids can't just miss one month of that or more when they've never had a background in it before and their parents aren't supporting them. Everything in the latter years of school is based off these concepts. It's not even up for debate. Studies will show that kids who fall behind this early stay behind, no matter anyone here's personal opinion on "only" missing a month of kindergarten or first grade. This isn't the kids not turning in one book report in fourth grade after they've already built a solid foundation in reading for four years, or missing a math test in third grade when they already know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide. This is them not even learning how to do those things that they will need to do for the next 11-12 years in school, and if they do not learn it now, when will they? Unless Bonnie and Joel are proactive enough to actually buckle down and make sure their kids learn it or arrange tutoring for them, the concepts they miss will be permanent gaps in their education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jennthelurker
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Jennthelurker »

Thank you!!!! I haven't seen anything any of the hoelleins kids have done that made me think "woah they are smarter than kids their age" I've actually think the opposite most time lol

Jackson, however is a bit above average physically and mentally imo
Feel free to correct my mistakes... English isnt my main language :D
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Jennthelurker wrote:
Thank you!!!! I haven't seen anything any of the hoelleins kids have done that made me think "woah they are smarter than kids their age" I've actually think the opposite most time lol

Jackson, however is a bit above average physically and mentally imo
I don't think anyone was saying that the Hoellein kids are advanced, just that they aren't stupid. There's nothing wrong with average.... most children are Image

I adore Jackson, but he is exactly where he is supposed to be developmentally and there is nothing wrong with that. He's learning a lot in school, but still he seems like a typical 3 year old. I wouldn't exactly say his language is advanced or anything. My 2.5 year old has a similar vocabulary and expressiveness.

Now MG on the other hand, I think is very clever and advanced, but there are those that argue she's average as well. If we are comparing YT children to YT children though, I suppose I can see how Jackson is advanced.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

There seems to be a reason why highly educated, higher income people don't resort to posting their kids on YT for an income....just sayin'
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

Exactly. Those kids could be attending school everyday and absolutely zoning out when their teacher is at the front of the class speaking to the students. There are kids that fall behind every day.

Who is to say their teachers are that involved, or care that the kids are missing school? I'm not sure how it is in the US or even in UT, but in Australian primary (so from kindergarten to grade 6), it's a standard to have 30 or so kids to one teacher. You think that teacher has time to go around making sure every student is taking in as much of the curriculum as possible? No way.

Bonnie doesn't even sit down and do home work with them. The only formal education they are getting is when they're at school, and paying attention. You think Cody is gonna sit there and listen? Nope. Olivia might, because she seems curious about learning.

They aren't too students, and likely will never be. I'm sure none of these kids will attend college, because their parents don't even invest in their education when they're at home in Logan.

This response is probably all over the place but I'm hoping it's easily understood the point I'm trying to make, ha.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

Namm wrote:I for once don't agree or understand the anger popping up from everywhere. I really don't think that the children will suffer so much missing school especially at their age, the'll catch up. Let the family live, just once. I'm sure they won't be doing this every month. The only ones I feel sotty for are probably the teachers...
I wish the Hoelleins nothing but the best experience at Disney and I'm happy for her brother Bo, joining with family ...
Are Bonnie and Joel paying for Bo and his family or are they covered under the bran deal?
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
beachygirly
Informer
Informer

Unread post by beachygirly »

The thing that bothers me the most is what everyone already mentioned - their general disregard for education. The worst part is that they don't put a lot of emphasis on learning to read, which lays the foundation for other learning experiences. Do they think their kids will never need to read?

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”