Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: Moving On Up | Part 10

Unread post by Acbsktbll »

galifreyancatlady wrote:
Acbsktbll wrote:
formerctfxcer wrote:Lol @ acting like $6k a month before taxes is enough to fund a 640k mortgage. I wish!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do realize their mortgage isn't actually $640K??? They at least put 20% down if not more.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Throwing this out there too...
20% of that is $128,000
They saved up over 5 years, so that's about $2,133 a month.
Not counting the money from their house that they possibly had in escrow, they could be looking at $1,500 a month in mortgage payments.

Yes, that's a ton. That's pretty excessive. But I don't believe that it's completely crazy talk and unable to be kept up with after YouTube.

And it could definitely be less if they saved more, or applied the escrow from their previous house over.

Exactly. Also I know from experience typically when you're buying a fairly expensive house you aren't putting 5% down with an FHA loan.

Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

Why would he scramble eggs and put them in the fridge? It takes less than 3 minutes to make them fresh. I imagine they'd be slimy and gross in the morning.

And speaking of Cullen's behavior.. does anyone remember a vlog (it's a few years old) where Katie seemed peeved and said Cullen only gives her attention on camera? I've always kept that in mind, especially because he "performs" for the vlogs at times, I wonder how much that is true.
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

galifreyancatlady wrote:
Acbsktbll wrote:
formerctfxcer wrote:Lol @ acting like $6k a month before taxes is enough to fund a 640k mortgage. I wish!!

You do realize their mortgage isn't actually $640K??? They at least put 20% down if not more.

Throwing this out there too...
20% of that is $128,000
They saved up over 5 years, so that's about $2,133 a month.
Not counting the money from their house that they possibly had in escrow, they could be looking at $1,500 a month in mortgage payments.

Yes, that's a ton. That's pretty excessive. But I don't believe that it's completely crazy talk and unable to be kept up with after YouTube.

And it could definitely be less if they saved more, or applied the escrow from their previous house over.

Wait, are you saying that on top of buying their first home right after Katie got her PhD and paying their mortgage, utilities, etc every month, they were also saving an additional $2000+ a month for a house they didn't know they would be buying on a salary they weren't making up until recently?

I'm tired of the $$ debate. We will never know their financial situation unless they make a vlog about it. Even then I'd only take anything Cullen says with a grain of salt.

pibachka
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pibachka »

Except they did know they were going to move 5 years later, to a better house, back when they were purchasing their first home they said that they would be moving 5 years later and that this is a temporary starter home... so they obviously had some plans in place or they knew they would have more money 5 years later.
lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

WhatSheSaid wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:
freshbalsam wrote:It was nice to hear that they acknowledge the overwhelming feeling for a young child to be surrounded by strangers. Glad they had that realization. I wish Cullen would leave the speeches to Katie, she comes off a lot more genuine and sweet when she talks about things like that, while Cullen just.. doesn't

He usually interrupts her...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Lol, yeah, I'll give you that... It could be worse though. I don't think we should let him off the hook when it comes to talking. He's not bad, he was tired today, but Katie is better. At least he can form a cohesive sentence. Many men, even rich and powerful men, are unwilling or unable to structure a sentence to convey a thought or idea. Sad.
I watched the video where Cullen was fired, last night. It had substance imo, not anything special but normal substance at least, and it was agreeable and nice to listen to. Cullen was talking in a normal tone of voice, and he acted like a more serious and grounded person.
jaynshann
Informer
Informer

Unread post by jaynshann »

Caisflame wrote:Wow. A youtuber actually told their child how to act in public. That's rare. It was so nice to see Cullen tell Gaines how to act at the table in public. I feel like they're raising the kids right, rather than making them feel like they are super special kids who can get away with anything.
I came here to say the same. Katie and Cullen have their weaknesses like we all do but l loved hearing Cullen use the tone he did and the direct way he told her to behave. LO AND BEHOLD CAN IT BE TRUE? A VLOGGER WHO KNKWS HOW TO DISCIPLINE HIS CHILD!!! I know they have their quirks but MG is already showing the fruit of all the extra time C&K put in to parenting her. IMO she shows self restraint and maturity that surpasses what thee average 2.5 year old shows and that is a direct result of their devoted parenting. Just wait till she's 5 and Brooks is 3 and they do a DBEJCK vacation and you see the contrast between the Mecham and Lanning kids versus C&K's. The differences in behavior are going to be more and more apparent as time goes on. They get a pass in the messiness stuff and Cullen's occasional over the topness in my book simply because of the job they do parenting. Isn't horrible parenting the biggest complaint everyone has on Tapatalk about almost every other vlogger. Come one who cares if they're messy!

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

I agree MG is well behaved , and they do discipline. She is a reserved child, though. Let's see what goes on with Brooks. I think he may be more of a challenge. Good thing he is so cute

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

pibachka wrote:Except they did know they were going to move 5 years later, to a better house, back when they were purchasing their first home they said that they would be moving 5 years later and that this is a temporary starter home... so they obviously had some plans in place or they knew they would have more money 5 years later.
Yes, but to say they were paying a mortgage on their first house right out of college while simultaneously saving over $2000 every month for the whole 5 years is stretching their capabilities in my mind. I don't think their channel was even at 30,000 subs when they got pregnant with Gaines, so they were still relying on Katie's salary, and however much Cullen was bringing in between the jobs he held during time for the first 3 years. They've only been full time youtubers for 2 years.

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

askeptichere wrote:
pibachka wrote:Except they did know they were going to move 5 years later, to a better house, back when they were purchasing their first home they said that they would be moving 5 years later and that this is a temporary starter home... so they obviously had some plans in place or they knew they would have more money 5 years later.
Yes, but to say they were paying a mortgage on their first house right out of college while simultaneously saving over $2000 every month for the whole 5 years is stretching their capabilities in my mind. I don't think their channel was even at 30,000 subs when they got pregnant with Gaines, so they were still relying on Katie's salary, and however much Cullen was bringing in between the jobs he held during that time for the first 3 years. They've only been full time youtubers for 2 years.

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

WhatSheSaid wrote:
janica wrote:Gaines was so cute asking Katie why she (Katie) made Brooks cry :love2:
That was cute. I wanted to know why too. Poor thing! He was so hurt, it was hard to watch.
He was getting in the dogs water bowl and she tapped him on the booty (or maybe the arm? It wasn't a spank or anything like that at all, just a Hey! You! kinda tap, to get his attention) and sternly told him No sir! She said she thought she scared him bc he didn't know she was behind him. She picked him up and comforted him right after. I don't think he was physically hurt at all, just startled and mad lol It was sad though, poor thing.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I know i'm a defender of C&K, and probably most of roll your eyes when you see me post here, but i feel like Cullen is getting a lot of shit that isn't really justified right now. I agree he is immature, loud and crazy, but thats just who he is, yes he does get on my nerves from time to time, but i'm not married too him so it's not something i stress over. I think the guy is funny most times, but that is personal preference. I've seen comments that allude to Cullen just sitting on his rear all day and never helping Katie with the kids or around the house. I can't count how many vlogs where we have seen Cullen doing dishes, cleaning up the house, taking care of the kids, not complaining a bit when Katie leaves him with the kids, cooking dinner, carrying off trash, cleaning up the yard, helping with laundry... idk.. I do admit that i really like this family. and every family does things that other people don't agree with, but i don't think Katie cleaning the kitchen and Cullen giving her praise about it means that hes a lazy bum who does nothing around the house, only plays with the kids when the camera is on.. ect.. I think all in all Cullen is a great guy, he's a good dad, he loves Katie and it shows. Everyone is entitled to think whatever they want about them and voice that accordingly, but when i see so much hate for him, just bc we saw Katie clean the kitchen (and i know thats not the only issue that people have with him) and he was fixing eggs.. it just kinda makes me feel bad for the guy. He's up early with the kids today, if that makes any of you feel better..
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

jaynshann wrote:
Caisflame wrote:Wow. A youtuber actually told their child how to act in public. That's rare. It was so nice to see Cullen tell Gaines how to act at the table in public. I feel like they're raising the kids right, rather than making them feel like they are super special kids who can get away with anything.
I came here to say the same. Katie and Cullen have their weaknesses like we all do but l loved hearing Cullen use the tone he did and the direct way he told her to behave. LO AND BEHOLD CAN IT BE TRUE? A VLOGGER WHO KNKWS HOW TO DISCIPLINE HIS CHILD!!! I know they have their quirks but MG is already showing the fruit of all the extra time C&K put in to parenting her. IMO she shows self restraint and maturity that surpasses what thee average 2.5 year old shows and that is a direct result of their devoted parenting. Just wait till she's 5 and Brooks is 3 and they do a DBEJCK vacation and you see the contrast between the Mecham and Lanning kids versus C&K's. The differences in behavior are going to be more and more apparent as time goes on. They get a pass in the messiness stuff and Cullen's occasional over the topness in my book simply because of the job they do parenting. Isn't horrible parenting the biggest complaint everyone has on Tapatalk about almost every other vlogger. Come one who cares if they're messy!

It's not the first time we have heard Cullen use his dad voice, i'm sure it won't be the last, he's not afraid to show that they discipline the kids and i think thats a good thing. And you are right, who cares if they are messy? They aren't filthy slobs. I was actually surprised at how dirty the floor ect was at the hotel, i think that is the "dirtiest" i have ever seen them let things go (granted its not like they had access to a vacuum to clean up after themselves) and it wasn't even THAT dirty. I'm sure it's nothing compared to what some of the housekeeping have seen.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

askeptichere wrote:
Yes, but to say they were paying a mortgage on their first house right out of college while simultaneously saving over $2000 every month for the whole 5 years is stretching their capabilities in my mind. I don't think their channel was even at 30,000 subs when they got pregnant with Gaines, so they were still relying on Katie's salary, and however much Cullen was bringing in between the jobs he held during that time for the first 3 years. They've only been full time youtubers for 2 years.

I agree, they're either making A LOT more from their channel than we realize and all of the bigger channels are being super conservative with their home purchases, or Katie and Cullen have another source of income. Or they're really overextending themselves with this mortgage.

A $640,000 home w/ 20% down is going to come with a monthly mortgage payment of around $3,200 including taxes, insurance, and HOA. If they're making around $11,000 per month or more after taxes, then that mortgage makes financial sense. If they're making less than that, then I question how this was a smart move. $6,000 a month is not enough to comfortably afford a $640,000 home. But I'm financially conservative and stick to a home payment of 30% or less of our total income.
Last edited by HashtagBlessed on Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

To also add onto Playsinrain's post, maybe Katie prefers cleaning the kitchen rather than Cullen? Remember the laundry incident? We all have certain ways of doing things and maybe cleaning a kitchen and doing laundry are hers. I rarely see her assemble toys/playhouse/trampoline for the kids... that's Cullen. Not trying to be sexist but maybe they have a mutual understanding of who does what. I appreciate my husband wants to help clean baby bottles but he doesn't do it my way, so I do them and it's fine by me.

As for staying up late, that irks me. Just because they don't have a normal work-from-home job, you still need a consistent schedule/routine. They both need to decide on an appropriate time to just shut down from "work", relax and then go to bed at a reasonable hour and get up like you would for a normal job M-F. On weekends, be lazy, go to bed late, etc but keep the M-F routine. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they need consistency in their lives.
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

japaluvr wrote:To also add onto Playsinrain's post, maybe Katie prefers cleaning the kitchen rather than Cullen? Remember the laundry incident? We all have certain ways of doing things and maybe cleaning a kitchen and doing laundry are hers. I rarely see her assemble toys/playhouse/trampoline for the kids... that's Cullen. Not trying to be sexist but maybe they have a mutual understanding of who does what. I appreciate my husband wants to help clean baby bottles but he doesn't do it my way, so I do them and it's fine by me.

As for staying up late, that irks me. Just because they don't have a normal work-from-home job, you still need a consistent schedule/routine. They both need to decide on an appropriate time to just shut down from "work", relax and then go to bed at a reasonable hour and get up like you would for a normal job M-F. On weekends, be lazy, go to bed late, etc but keep the M-F routine. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they need consistency in their lives.
I can see how that could be true. While I appreciate when my husband tries to help by cleaning around the house, he's doesn't do it in the way I would, so I would rather just do it myself.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

Playsinrain wrote:
WhatSheSaid wrote:
janica wrote:Gaines was so cute asking Katie why she (Katie) made Brooks cry :love2:
That was cute. I wanted to know why too. Poor thing! He was so hurt, it was hard to watch.
He was getting in the dogs water bowl and she tapped him on the booty (or maybe the arm? It wasn't a spank or anything like that at all, just a Hey! You! kinda tap, to get his attention) and sternly told him No sir! She said she thought she scared him bc he didn't know she was behind him. She picked him up and comforted him right after. I don't think he was physically hurt at all, just startled and mad lol It was sad though, poor thing.
Well, that isn't exactly what happened, but whatever. It was difficult to see him cry. Nobody is accusing Katie of doing anything wrong. But, as Cullen stated, "He acts like he got shot." The way he responded to the intervention was so over the top. It was completely endearing. I don't think that's a problem.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

WhatSheSaid wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:
WhatSheSaid wrote:
Well, that isn't exactly what happened, but whatever. It was difficult to see him cry. Nobody is accusing Katie of doing anything wrong. But, as Cullen stated, "He acts like he got shot." The way he responded to the intervention was so over the top. It was completely endearing. I don't think that's a problem.
What am i missing? Asking genuinely bc thats how i remember it going down and i can go back and re watch at the moment.. i do agree with you though, the way he responded was so pitiful. But at the same time super cute.. lol
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Now that Brooks is more mobile, he's going to have to get used to being told "No". I think that was just a big surprise to him, because he hasn't had the mobility to get into anything before. So I think he just felt betrayed that Mommy said no... He does seem to have more of a "push back" personality than Gaines, so it's going to be interesting. She doesn't really seem to have had a lot of terrible twos-- a few meltdowns, but nothing OTT, at least from what they've shown. Brooks seems like he's going to be more difficult. Honestly, since they always say "Oh, it's so easy! Why does everyone say babies are so hard?" I am interested to see what happens.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

askeptichere wrote:
japaluvr wrote:To also add onto Playsinrain's post, maybe Katie prefers cleaning the kitchen rather than Cullen? Remember the laundry incident? We all have certain ways of doing things and maybe cleaning a kitchen and doing laundry are hers. I rarely see her assemble toys/playhouse/trampoline for the kids... that's Cullen. Not trying to be sexist but maybe they have a mutual understanding of who does what. I appreciate my husband wants to help clean baby bottles but he doesn't do it my way, so I do them and it's fine by me.

I can see how that could be true. While I appreciate when my husband tries to help by cleaning around the house, he's doesn't do it in the way I would, so I would rather just do it myself.
Same here. I love doing laundry because it's therapeutic for me so hubby never does it. My quote, "If I want it done right, I'll do it my way". :P
☆彡
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

Katie tapped Brooks on his sides with a "No" and he was startled so he cried than being told "No". Heck, I jump and say "Omg" when I get startled but babies don't react that way. I personally thought it was cute too.
☆彡

Return to “Cullen and Katie”