jess595
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 Hungry Passengers: #NoLeftovers | Part 4

Unread post by jess595 »

sasperillo wrote:
jess595 wrote:I mean here in the UK we burn schools books when they're not needed (end of GCSEs, end of A levels, aka all the big exams) because we see it as the end of an era, I'm not going to keep a textbook sitting around that I will never use again and can't sell on because I've annotated it am I? I'm not a fan of Ruby but does it make me Hitler for burning my books at the end of the year? No, it's just a bit of fun
It doesn't make you Hitler. It makes you someone who has little cultural and historical awareness and little respect for culture and knowledge. Doing it publicly is a brash sign of entitlement- as would making a video where you throw away a turkey dinner because "you don't need it anymore". You may not need it but celebrating the act of discarding something like that is celebrating ignorance.
I have historical awareness, they were burning workbooks and books that can't be reused. Why keep them? How will it help anyone if I keep a textbook that has been written all over, beaten up over the last two years and cannot be sold on or donated? How would it help to keep a used workbook that cannot be reused? I fail to see your point, what would you have liked them to do with used workbooks? If they kept them for the younger kids to use to mark work or to help their answers people would be angry that they're not letting the kids work things out for themselves.

Sorry, your question was personal so you got a personal response- which is not really appropriate for this forum. But the fact that you don't get it proves my point. Not interested in talking about you- but Ruby.

I would assume you have all old textbooks then? Getting back to Ruby, why would she keep stacks and stacks of used workbooks that aren't needed? Say each child has one workbook for each class and takes 6 classes. That's 6 books, then for each child in school is 24 a year. Eventually, when Russell and Eve get into school, she could end up with 36 books a year, plus extras for Shari and Chad. That could add up to 50 books a year, where would she keep them all? While burning them isn't totally environmentally friendly, it's probably a better solution than throwing them out for landfill or keeping them all. She'd end up with probably 500 books by the time all 6 kids have finished school, where would she keep them? It's entirely impractical to keep them in her house
freebeegal
Informer
Informer

Unread post by freebeegal »

jess595 wrote:I mean here in the UK we burn schools books when they're not needed (end of GCSEs, end of A levels, aka all the big exams) because we see it as the end of an era, I'm not going to keep a textbook sitting around that I will never use again and can't sell on because I've annotated it am I? I'm not a fan of Ruby but does it make me Hitler for burning my books at the end of the year? No, it's just a bit of fun
As someone from the UK I have never ever burnt a text book nor heard of anyone doing so. At the end of GCSEs and A levels we returned our text books to school, so they could be used by the next year. Why on earth would you burn a perfectly good textbook!? I can understand perhaps burning your revision notes if you really feel the need to, even that seems silly as my revision notes from GCSEs came in handy for my a level classes. And my a level revision notes came in handy when I went to uni.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

You decide you are not religious anymore, so you make a video burning the Bible or whatever, would people react the same?
"Oh, I had already written on it. Don't need it anymore."

Do you think that there is any teacher that approves of this behaviour?
Also, it is totally initiated by Ruby for views.
Last year they did not do it, so it is not a "tradition".

This is so messed up...

Heinrich Heine: "Wherever books are burned, human beings are destined to be burned too."
Highlighter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Highlighter »

freebeegal wrote:
As someone from the UK I have never ever burnt a text book nor heard of anyone doing so. At the end of GCSEs and A levels we returned our text books to school, so they could be used by the next year. Why on earth would you burn a perfectly good textbook!? I can understand perhaps burning your revision notes if you really feel the need to, even that seems silly as my revision notes from GCSEs came in handy for my a level classes. And my a level revision notes came in handy when I went to uni.

As a UK university student, I'm pretty sure they mean their workbooks. A lot of people I know destroyed or burnt their workbooks and notes. Plus most us us typed up our final exam notes so if we really needed them again, we had them on our computer. Burning the physical copies was just the celebration of an end of an era and it was great.

Burning textbooks though is stupid because you can just sell them to the year below and trick them into thinking that having the books will give you a chance at the highest grades.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

I couldn't watch the entire video because Ruby is so cringey, but they burnt TEXTBOOKS? Burning workbooks that are used and can no longer be used is one thing (though I still think that's fucked up, we always recycled any books that we could) but textbooks that could still be used?? What. The. Fuck. There are children who could use those. Our local Boys and Girls club asks for textbook donations at the end of every school year for their homework room. Even if the books weren't in perfect shape, there is always somebody who could use one. And talk about teaching lack of respect for education. But that's no surprise coming from mormons.
seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

I came straight here when I saw the title because I knew people here would freak out, but after viewing the video it wasn't a big deal. They destroyed workbooks and stuff that was assigned to them personally and couldn't be reused. The reality of it is that most of that crap would have ended up in the trash anyway. I don't know about other countries, but in the US most parents don't hang onto previous year materials and if they do they're hoarders.

Everyone should know by now that Ruby cherishes books, has a library in her home, and would never destroy something of value that could be reused or donated.

She let the kids have a little fun for views, nothing more.

I was more annoyed at that CHEAP Walmart food she got for the party, those Bar S brand "hotdogs" are the worst. And about Eve getting into that cookie in the other video, seriously? No discipline?!
ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ACarATorchAJess »

She changed the title...
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

seriously7 wrote:I came straight here when I saw the title because I knew people here would freak out, but after viewing the video it wasn't a big deal. They destroyed workbooks and stuff that was assigned to them personally and couldn't be reused. The reality of it is that most of that crap would have ended up in the trash anyway. I don't know about other countries, but in the US most parents don't hang onto previous year materials and if they do they're hoarders.

Everyone should know by now that Ruby cherishes books, has a library in her home, and would never destroy something of value that could be reused or donated.

She let the kids have a little fun for views, nothing more.

I was more annoyed at that CHEAP Walmart food she got for the party, those Bar S brand "hotdogs" are the worst. And about Eve getting into that cookie in the other video, seriously? No discipline?!
Not even kidding, that was the brand of hot dog my veterinarian recommended when my dog was constipated. And it worked. Since we had a whole package we tried to use them up, but they were disgusting.
janica
Talker
Talker

Unread post by janica »

Where was Shari during the filming of the vlog?
My apologies for any grammar or spelling mistakes. English is not my first language :love2:
Highlighter
Gossiper
Gossiper

janica wrote:Where was Shari during the filming of the vlog?
Probably scheming in a corner somewhere about what she can get her parents to buy her next.
Elah_w
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Elah_w »

I feel like Shari gets to miss school a lot because she just feels like it. She really didn't get in trouble for skipping in one of the recent vlogs? I know it's the last week of school so there's probably no school work being done and she has good grades, but I got the impression that she didn't even ask and just came home. Isn't that a truancy at most schools? My Mom admittedly would let me skip every once in a while if I needed a break but it wasn't frequent at all and I certainly had to tell her/plan for it on the rare occasions it did happen. I couldn't just say I felt like coming home and get picked up.

Sorry but I really can't stand Shari. She's almost more unbearable than Ruby to me. I know she's a kid but she is so arrogant and seems to think she's smarter than everyone else. She won't be able to skip whenever she wants in high school. It's not as easy to catch up and you risk not graduating if you're behind in credits. It sounds mean but I hope high school is a rude awakening for her. There will be older kids who won't want to put up with that snotty little attitude.

As for the book burning, it looked to me like the books they were slamming on the ground and stuff were actual hard covered textbooks.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

I am absolutely appalled by the behaviour in the vlog. I don't care if it's workbooks or text books. I don't care if they couldn't have donated them or not. Yeah, they probably could not have been reused or whatever, but the message this is sending to the kids who are watching is one that oozes of privilege and lack of respect for education and gratitude for the opportunity to go to school. If they really cared, they wouldn't have done it at all but at the very least they should have specified that they were burning only the work the kids themselves did and not actual textbooks. It was very unclear and regardless completely disgusting. Gross, gross, gross.
Elah_w
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Elah_w »

natalka81 wrote:I am absolutely appalled by the behaviour in the vlog. I don't care if it's workbooks or text books. I don't care if they couldn't have donated them or not. Yeah, they probably could not have been reused or whatever, but the message this is sending to the kids who are watching is one that oozes of privilege and lack of respect for education and gratitude for the opportunity to go to school. If they really cared, they wouldn't have done it at all but at the very least they should have specified that they were burning only the work the kids themselves did and not actual textbooks. It was very unclear and regardless completely disgusting. Gross, gross, gross.
I totally agree with you. I get that not everyone keep their school work forever but that doesn't mean you have to burn it. I always recycled mine!
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

Ruby is dumb. She burns school books, because she has the emotional maturity of a 12 year old. It's pathetic.
pymbo
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pymbo »

I'm legitimately astounded. Just when I think they couldn't get any worse, they get worse. Every time.
Elah_w
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Elah_w »

Watching this family is almost like watching a terrible social experiment where you see what happens when people get a taste of a bit more money and "fame".
Highlighter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Any predictions on the next 8 Passengers scandal? Mine are:
- Eve sets fire to the house.
- Nollie runs away on one of her solo outings.
- Shari goes on a midnight joyride with the scooter and gets caught big time.
- One of the kids denounces religion.
- We have an OKbaby situation where all the minions turn on them.

This can surely only get better now that the summer holidays are approaching :D
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Highlighter wrote:Any predictions on the next 8 Passengers scandal? Mine are:

Not to get too off topic..what was the Okbaby situation? I only recently started watching them consistently.
jenboghel01
Talker
Talker

Unread post by jenboghel01 »

Highlighter wrote:Any predictions on the next 8 Passengers scandal? Mine are:

Lol I think the most likely thing to happen from that list is Eve setting the house on fire ImageImage

purplerain55
Informer
Informer

Unread post by purplerain55 »

I think it's actually insane that this time in 5 years, Shari will probably married and pregnant. Crazy.

Return to “8 Passengers”