HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: YTMD Pet Peeves

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

fudgeitup wrote:
Boredomatitsfinest wrote:
fudgeitup wrote: Having your parent film your everday life isn't work.
My parents have almost everyday of my childhood an camera, and family vloggers are doing the same. They film their kids in everyday life. The only difference is that they put it online.
I'd argue that that's not the only difference, though... These YouTube kids are asked/expected to "perform" on a daily basis. They aren't simply just living their every day lives.
Most family vloggers i see, the kids don't do anything different than normal kids.
Then you mustn't watch Daily Bumps, Ellie and Jared, Shaytards, Bratayley, etc.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

fudgeitup wrote:
fudgeitup wrote: Having your parent film your everday life isn't work.
My parents have almost everyday of my childhood an camera, and family vloggers are doing the same. They film their kids in everyday life. The only difference is that they put it online.
I'd argue that that's not the only difference, though... These YouTube kids are asked/expected to "perform" on a daily basis. They aren't simply just living their every day lives.
Most family vloggers i see, the kids don't do anything different than normal kids.
Do normal kids look at cameras when their parents are talking to them?(instead of the parent that is talking to them) Do normal two year olds say "good morning! Welcome to the vlog!"? Or mimic whatever meme is going around the internet? Normal kids don't spend their lives comparing gummy food to real food, filling bathtubs with orbeez, and pools with bath bombs. And as far as the older ones go, do "normal" kids walk around Target and Starbucks talking to cameras? Annie from Bratayley is actually told to post Musicallys by her mom. She seems to enjoy it, but what normal mom tells a kid to put school work aside to post on social media? "You haven't posted yet? Well get going!"
I have lots of film of my kids when they were little. They were completely unconscious of the camera. Ollie and Gaines in particular are staged and edited. They'll ask Ollie a question, and there will be a quick cut, and then he'll answer. Gaines is taught to say "Welcome to the vlog!" "Cash me outside", "Damn Daniel!" and whatever other phrase is sweeping the internet. Sure, some of it is just them playing, but they are not living a normal life. It really creeps me out the way Ollie doesn't make eye contact with his parents anymore. He looks at the camera. Liv and Peyton do that too. These are not just normal kids playing and being filmed by their parents. They may have started that way, but the vlog and the money took over.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
fudgeitup
Talker
Talker

Unread post by fudgeitup »

HelloSweetie wrote:
fudgeitup wrote:
I did say most family vloggers I SEE. I think some things like talking to the camera is simply mimicing of their parents. I don't watch that many family vloggers cuz i think a lot are annoying, so maybe i don't see it all.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

fudgeitup wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:
fudgeitup wrote: Most family vloggers i see, the kids don't do anything different than normal kids.
I did say most family vloggers I SEE. I think some things like talking to the camera is simply mimicing of their parents. I don't watch that many family vloggers cuz i think a lot are annoying, so maybe i don't see it all.
That makes sense then. If you don't watch them often, you wouldn't see the weird behavior.

fudgeitup
Talker
Talker

lmmomSD wrote:
fudgeitup wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:
That makes sense then. If you don't watch them often, you wouldn't see the weird behavior.

From the vloggers I do watch, i don't see anproblem. But like I said, i don't watch a large amount of family vloggers.
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Theirmom »

HelloSweetie wrote:
I'm glad you weighed in, I know you've said you vlog and I was curious how much work you feel goes into it. I'm no Bryan fan, but I hate it when he isn't given credit for the work he puts in. People tend to hate on the vlogger doing the work, and then victimize or pity the spouse that is sitting back and reaping the rewards. I find this dismissive.

Though I will say that I think vlogging is a far easier job than most people have, and I can't take vloggers seriously when they act like they work so hard, and are somehow doing something serving others and giving so much in sharing their lives. I assume you aren't like this since it sounds like you do it as a side job and not your sole income.
I don't think vlogging is difficult (physically or mentally). It's not easy either though. It takes a certain skill set. You can't just pick up a camera and stitch clips together in movie maker. There are so many vloggers who aren't charismatic, don't know how to get good angles, can't edit, don't account for lighting, audio, pacing, graphics, etc. And won't ever be successful.
I went to school for television production, specializing in editing and cinematography. I come at vlogging with storyboarding experience, framing, good lighting/colour balance, how to pace your editing so it doesn't feel rushed or out of sync. I make sure that edits happen with music so everything flows well, I fade music and audio in/out to account for audio changes like a rumbling car or wind noise.
These are all things that viewers don't even consider when gauging how much work goes into producing a good vlog, but you'd notice right away if they weren't done. So, it may only take me 2 hours to edit a vlog, but it's 3 years of schooling, ten years experience and thousands of dollars on training and equipment that got me here.

This is NOT my job. I'm a SAHM who made a New Years resolution to upload a video journal everyday of 2017. I have 800 subs and only 1000 views a day. I make $9 a week. This is NOT a job. But, I'm not trying to make brand deals or get junto merchandising or collabs or anything that would aid channel growth. All the subs I have I've gotten organically without any self promo since January. If I wanted to be successful, I'd have to do a lot more work. And I'm just not that interested in making the effort it would take to be as financially successful as the big vloggers.
:roll:
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Boredomatitsfinest »

fudgeitup wrote:
From the vloggers I do watch, i don't see anproblem. But like I said, i don't watch a large amount of family vloggers.
I'm not being passive aggressive or trying to challenge you at all. I am genuinely curious lol; what vloggers do you watch? Because damn, that sounds refreshing.
fudgeitup
Talker
Talker

fudgeitup wrote:
I'm not being passive aggressive or trying to challenge you at all. I am genuinely curious lol; what vloggers do you watch? Because damn, that sounds refreshing.
My current obsession is the bucket list family. They are freaking amazing!
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

fudgeitup wrote:
fudgeitup wrote: From the vloggers I do watch, i don't see anproblem. But like I said, i don't watch a large amount of family vloggers.
And yet they also coached their 3 y/o daughter:
''Look at the dot.''
''Look at the dot.''
''Look at the dot.''
''Blow kisses and wave.''
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

Theirmom wrote:This is NOT my job. I'm a SAHM who made a New Years resolution to upload a video journal everyday of 2017. I have 800 subs and only 1000 views a day. I make $9 a week. This is NOT a job. But, I'm not trying to make brand deals or get junto merchandising or collabs or anything that would aid channel growth. All the subs I have I've gotten organically without any self promo since January. If I wanted to be successful, I'd have to do a lot more work. And I'm just not that interested in making the effort it would take to be as financially successful as the big vloggers.
Genuine question: If you only make $9 a week wouldn't it be easier to just film and keep your video's as personal memories? I'm a bit confused as to why you'd upload them (and take the time to make them into vlogs/editing/thumbnails etc, per se) to the internet regards the privacy aspect? In as much as the big family vloggers seem to accept the trade off of losing anonymity for their children is the huge financial rewards and income/lifestyle it affords. You are not getting that financial level of income (and are happy not to as you've stated) so am curious as to what your reasoning is for uploading to the internet? Not sure if I worded it very well but like I said, a genuine question.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

Because the idea is she eventually wants to hit it big on YT. No point trying to deny it - it's the only reason people do it. Otherwise why sell out your children's privacy? They can't consent to it, no matter how you try and spin it.
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

actuallydear wrote:Because the idea is she eventually wants to hit it big on YT. No point trying to deny it - it's the only reason people do it. Otherwise why sell out your children's privacy? They can't consent to it, no matter how you try and spin it. ImageImage
Yep. I'd like to make extra money. I'm hoping to get to 50-100 bucks of spending cash a week to contribute to the household fun money. It's also a way that I can use my education in a little town with nothing in my field.
We try to keep as much anonymity as possible, and try to keep the kids less than 10% of the vlogs. There are many days when they're not in the vlogs at all, or only appear in passing. I mostly talk about my eating disorder, living with bipolar, and we've been trying to buy a new house for the last few months. This is MY channel, and my husband helps. The kids only appear if they expressly request it. But, my kids were older when we started, so they haven't been raised with a camera in their face. They have no problem asking me to vlog in another room if they don't want to be even caught in the background, and I have no problem respecting that.
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Scar2016 wrote: Genuine question: If you only make $9 a week wouldn't it be easier to just film and keep your video's as personal memories? I'm a bit confused as to why you'd upload them (and take the time to make them into vlogs/editing/thumbnails etc, per se) to the internet regards the privacy aspect? In as much as the big family vloggers seem to accept the trade off of losing anonymity for their children is the huge financial rewards and income/lifestyle it affords. You are not getting that financial level of income (and are happy not to as you've stated) so am curious as to what your reasoning is for uploading to the internet? Not sure if I worded it very well but like I said, a genuine question.
Because I'd like to make money. After I'm done with the year of vlogging, I'd like to move to a twice weekly format of more polished videos. Tutorials, recipes, music, etc. It's a way for me to earn a tiny bit if money as a SAHM and use my education in a location I wouldn't otherwise be able to.
I'm not really willing to make it a "business", as I just don't have the mental fortitude to deal with that side of it. I've got enough obligations on my plate without adding brand deals and business calls on top of it.
I'm not doing it "for the memories", and I never claimed to. I'm doing it to use my education, and maybe earn some money.
Aboogabooga
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Aboogabooga »

Scar2016 wrote:
fudgeitup wrote:
Boredomatitsfinest wrote: I'm not being passive aggressive or trying to challenge you at all. I am genuinely curious lol; what vloggers do you watch? Because damn, that sounds refreshing.
And yet they also coached their 3 y/o daughter:
''Look at the dot.''
''Look at the dot.''
''Look at the dot.''
''Blow kisses and wave.''
I used to love them too. On YouTube they marketed themselves as a family who sold everything so they could travel around the world. Then I went on their blog and read their bios and realized that the husband created an app so they're actually loaded and can afford their extravagant excursions. Totally turned me off. My dream is to drop everything. And work my way around the world but it's hard to do without a lot of money, at least to start off with. I know some people make it work and those are the kind of people I'd like to watch vlogs with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeybee27
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Jeybee27 »

Pet peeve:
When people think everyone in the thread flip flops all day long. Saying things like "you're mad if she takes all the kids, you're mad if she spends time with one of the kids alone" (jess thread)
Like there's a bunch of people on there. Everyone has different opinions. It's not the same people bitching about something then contradicting themselves.
Idk if it had been said before. But it's just annoying.
IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

Unread post by IceCreamCone »

When posters think everything is free. Trust me, while You Tubers get a ton of free products, they also make a ton of money and want to upgrade their lifestyle. This means more money to spend. Not everything is free product. Certain posters go on and on about this and it gets annoying because they really don't know unless it's an obvious one.

And not all YT moms have postpartum depression. Lots of non- mom YTers have come out and said that it has led to their poor mental health. You Tubers become lazy and start spending money to try and fill a void. They are unfulfilled and unchallenged, and this leads to depression. Being a mother can also lead to depression, but most of the more successful moms are probably just bored and lazy... not suffering from true PPD.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

IceCreamCone wrote:When posters think everything is free. Trust me, while You Tubers get a ton of free products, they also make a ton of money and want to upgrade their lifestyle. This means more money to spend. Not everything is free product. Certain posters go on and on about this and it gets annoying because they really don't know unless it's an obvious one.

And not all YT moms have postpartum depression. Lots of non- mom YTers have come out and said that it has led to their poor mental health. You Tubers become lazy and start spending money to try and fill a void. They are unfulfilled and unchallenged, and this leads to depression. Being a mother can also lead to depression, but most of the more successful moms are probably just bored and lazy... not suffering from true PPD.
Exactly. They don't all have PPD. Some of them are simply spoiled women who wanted to be pregnant, but didn't anticipate a child being actual work and now they are disinterested in their lives and their children. The solution though?

More babies.
IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

Jeybee27 wrote:Pet peeve:
When people think everyone in the thread flip flops all day long. Saying things like "you're mad if she takes all the kids, you're mad if she spends time with one of the kids alone" (jess thread)
Like there's a bunch of people on there. Everyone has different opinions. It's not the same people bitching about something then contradicting themselves.
Its not always the same posters bitching, but quite often it is. I don't follow the Jess board, but on the ones I do frequent a lot of the harshest critics really do flip flop and its noticeable. When there are a small handful of posters that you can count on to get incensed no matter what a vlogger is doing, then it's pretty obvious they don't give a shit how said vlogger is doing things, and just want to rip them apart regardless. If you read these boards everyday, you get to know people and remember their positions on things, and even personal details they have shared.

Like someone revealing they let their kid play alone in the backyard, but then later wanting to rip apart a vlogger they hate for doing the same thing. This isn't a case of different people having different opinions. It is literally someone flip flopping on their position based on the day/board they are on.

Like I said I don't follow the Jess board though, so it's possible that one is different.
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

IceCreamCone wrote:
Jeybee27 wrote:Pet peeve:
Its not always the same posters bitching, but quite often it is. I don't follow the Jess board, but on the ones I do frequent a lot of the harshest critics really do flip flop and its noticeable. When there are a small handful of posters that you can count on to get incensed no matter what a vlogger is doing, then it's pretty obvious they don't give a shit how said vlogger is doing things, and just want to rip them apart regardless. If you read these boards everyday, you get to know people and remember their positions on things, and even personal details they have shared.

Like someone revealing they let their kid play alone in the backyard, but then later wanting to rip apart a vlogger they hate for doing the same thing. This isn't a case of different people having different opinions. It is literally someone flip flopping on their position based on the day/board they are on.

Like I said I don't follow the Jess board though, so it's possible that one is different.
What is your obsession with me letting my kid play in the back yard? Yes I used to do that. Not anymore since his 19 month old little brother can't go out there with him and gets jealous. My anger was towards Bonnie letting a toddler go in the front yard by themselves. A 3 year old in a fenced back yard is much different than a toddler or 3 year old alone in the front yard or a toddler alone in the back yard...

IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

MommaLindsey2 wrote:
What is your obsession with me letting my kid play in the back yard? Yes I used to do that. Not anymore since his 19 month old little brother can't go out there with him and gets jealous. My anger was towards Bonnie letting a toddler go in the front yard by themselves. A 3 year old in a fenced back yard is much different than a toddler or 3 year old alone in the front yard or a toddler alone in the back yard...

Oh, it's different now because you no longer do it (but only because it isn't as convenient). Got it. So you sent your child outside just fine before, but don't now because it's no longer as simple right? So why nitpick other moms for sending their kids outside to play. I can go find the original quote. It was originally referring to the laziness of moms that send their kids out to play, and then you mentioned a time that the kids were in the front. The vlogs leading up to the comment you made were 100% showing the kids playing outside together (8,6 and 4).

But this comment wasn't about you exactly, this was an example of something someone recalled that a poster said, that later is in contrast to what they are preaching. Sorry if it triggered you.

Another example? Posters that admit that they do YT, that later make posts ripping YTers apart for exploiting their kids and trying to make money.

Return to “Boxing Ring”