Bonnie and Joel: Not Your Average BonBon Part 11

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Not Your Average BonBon Part 11

Unread post by lmmomSD »

nutbagmcgee wrote:Cody was a huge whiner from like 3-4. I remember everyone here complaining about what a whiner Cody was but thinking to myself that he was just a normal kid. The whining Boston does is normal. Lincoln will do it too.
But Boston has been whining for longer than that. I hope it's a phase, but it's been longer than Cody's whining phase.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
winniewise
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by winniewise »

Maybe it's because I have a child entering in to the whining stage, but Boston's whining makes my skin crawl! I had to mute the other day when he came in from playing outside and started whining about being sprayed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

winniewise wrote:Maybe it's because I have a child entering in to the whining stage, but Boston's whining makes my skin crawl! I had to mute the other day when he came in from playing outside and started whining about being sprayed.

Ditto.

I mean, I feel for the kid. I'm sure it's hard being the middle child, but you really reach a point where you just want to see them be happy for once and stop complaining.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

Boston and Gaines are my two favorite youtube kids, and I think it's because they both have the funniest crying/whining faces. I can't help but giggle whenever they cry over something small because they both pull these dramatic faces and it's so cute.
PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by PostyMcPosterston »

HelloSweetie wrote:
menehune wrote:I split my time between California and Hawaii, and it isn't weird to see kids out in rash guards at all. Lots of kids wear board short and rash guards on hot days...just like Cody and Boston usually have on. Kids need to have fun and play. If their clothes are clean, and their hair is tidy I think that's good enough.

I would probably side eye a mother that looks like a hot mess but has her children looking spotless just as much as one put together but with untidy children. There should be a happy medium somewhere there.
I agree with the hot mess comment.

I still don't see a problem with the boys rash guard and board shorts either. I sort of see what people are saying about Linc's, but he's a baby and I still may not care if it's cute on him. I think that's better than just a onesie Image

My kids are always put together nicely as well, but on summer days I consider board shorts just fine. I hadn't noticed Olivia before, but I agree she should have worn something more... which is technically a double standard since the same look doesn't bother me on the boys.
I agree! Seeing Lincoln in that white onesie was cringeworthy. At least it was buttoned lol.

I think Bonnie has lazy days for the kids and herself. Which I think is normal. I can relate to that. I mean not PJs or just a onesie, esp on a toddler. It's not the worst thing though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nc_mom
Talker
Talker

Unread post by nc_mom »

I think Bonnie is always instilling unnecessary fear in her children. They would have been looking forward to swim lessons if she had said how much fun they were going to have. Instead she kept asking them if they were going to be "brave"? What nonsense is that? I've seen other videos of hers where she repeatedly asks the kids if they are "scared" of this or that. By using negative terms such as "being brave" or are you "scared" she is already telling them to predict something scary was going to happen. She certainly is no child psychologist lol! I think on the other hand C&K do the opposite in telling Gaines how much fun it's going to be and to keep the attitude upbeat and positive...but Katie is a child psychologist and it definitely shows in how she interacts with Gaines while Bonnie's kids are often fearful, negative and whiny.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I wonder if that had something to do with Olivia wigging out over the ear piercing. I answered my daughter's questions about it-- she asked if it was going to hurt and I told her it does, but that it wasn't bad, and that I would be there. I didn't work her up, and go on about how much it was going to hurt, but that she needed to be brave. I just wonder if Bonnie talked a lot about how much it was going to hurt, and scared Olivia.

IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

Unread post by IceCreamCone »

nc_mom wrote:I think Bonnie is always instilling unnecessary fear in her children. They would have been looking forward to swim lessons if she had said how much fun they were going to have. Instead she kept asking them if they were going to be "brave"? What nonsense is that? I've seen other videos of hers where she repeatedly asks the kids if they are "scared" of this or that. By using negative terms such as "being brave" or are you "scared" she is already telling them to predict something scary was going to happen. She certainly is no child psychologist lol! I think on the other hand C&K do the opposite in telling Gaines how much fun it's going to be and to keep the attitude upbeat and positive...but Katie is a child psychologist and it definitely shows in how she interacts with Gaines while Bonnie's kids are often fearful, negative and whiny.
I'm a Certified WSI (Water Safety Instructor) and taught lessons to a wide age range while I was in college. The children that start in the baby classes with their parents, tend to be less fearful than the older children. It actually isn't uncommon for children to fear swimming lessons, so while I certainly agree with the assessment that Katie's approach is better, I don't believe we can fault Bonnie for her kids being apprehensive.

I noticed Boston was fearful and insecure around the water in HI, and I'm sure he wasn't too happy when he heard Bonnie was signing him up for lessons. I think in his case the apprehension and resistance was already there, and Bonnie was just reacting to it. She could have used more positive terms, but its possible she started with that and Boston just wasn't having it.

But for a child Boston's age, it isn't unusual for them to have anxiety about lessons. This is why so many children fail to progress past the first few levels. Most overprotective parents will pull their kids and I was glad to see that Bonnie was firm and made him ride it out.
PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

IceCreamCone wrote:
nc_mom wrote:I think Bonnie is always instilling unnecessary fear in her children. They would have been looking forward to swim lessons if she had said how much fun they were going to have. Instead she kept asking them if they were going to be "brave"? What nonsense is that? I've seen other videos of hers where she repeatedly asks the kids if they are "scared" of this or that. By using negative terms such as "being brave" or are you "scared" she is already telling them to predict something scary was going to happen. She certainly is no child psychologist lol! I think on the other hand C&K do the opposite in telling Gaines how much fun it's going to be and to keep the attitude upbeat and positive...but Katie is a child psychologist and it definitely shows in how she interacts with Gaines while Bonnie's kids are often fearful, negative and whiny.
I'm a Certified WSI (Water Safety Instructor) and taught lessons to a wide age range while I was in college. The children that start in the baby classes with their parents, tend to be less fearful than the older children. It actually isn't uncommon for children to fear swimming lessons, so while I certainly agree with the assessment that Katie's approach is better, I don't believe we can fault Bonnie for her kids being apprehensive.

I noticed Boston was fearful and insecure around the water in HI, and I'm sure he wasn't too happy when he heard Bonnie was signing him up for lessons. I think in his case the apprehension and resistance was already there, and Bonnie was just reacting to it. She could have used more positive terms, but its possible she started with that and Boston just wasn't having it.

But for a child Boston's age, it isn't unusual for them to have anxiety about lessons. This is why so many children fail to progress past the first few levels. Most overprotective parents will pull their kids and I was glad to see that Bonnie was firm and made him ride it out.
Children being fearful isn't the issue she was pointing out. It's the fear-based approach and authoritative parenting, which I just personally hate.

amyfalafal
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by amyfalafal »

PostyMcPosterston wrote:
IceCreamCone wrote:

Children being fearful isn't the issue she was pointing out. It's the fear-based approach and authoritative parenting, which I just personally hate.

I didnt see a fear-based authoritative approach in that.. My mother was like that to us growing up, and STILL and I have 3 kids! lol. I keep my kids away from that woman. I see Bonnie as strict and tough but not authoritative. Since summer vacation has begun I see her reinstating some rules, some basic manners, some guidelines, which people critisied too, but there's nothing wrong with reminding kids "who is boss." Otherwise kids who rule the house like Ollie, for example, will make your life miserable.
Sorry to politely, disagree...
PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

amyfalafal wrote:
PostyMcPosterston wrote:
IceCreamCone wrote: I'm a Certified WSI (Water Safety Instructor) and taught lessons to a wide age range while I was in college. The children that start in the baby classes with their parents, tend to be less fearful than the older children. It actually isn't uncommon for children to fear swimming lessons, so while I certainly agree with the assessment that Katie's approach is better, I don't believe we can fault Bonnie for her kids being apprehensive.

I didnt see a fear-based authoritative approach in that.. My mother was like that to us growing up, and STILL and I have 3 kids! lol. I keep my kids away from that woman. I see Bonnie as strict and tough but not authoritative. Since summer vacation has begun I see her reinstating some rules, some basic manners, some guidelines, which people critisied too, but there's nothing wrong with reminding kids "who is boss." Otherwise kids who rule the house like Ollie, for example, will make your life miserable.
That is authoritative. "Strict and tough" but she's also warm and loving. I'm not saying she has authoritarian parenting. I don't think many think authoritative is fine. I just don't like it.

PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

PostyMcPosterston wrote:
amyfalafal wrote:
PostyMcPosterston wrote: Children being fearful isn't the issue she was pointing out. It's the fear-based approach and authoritative parenting, which I just personally hate.

That is authoritative. "Strict and tough" but she's also warm and loving. I'm not saying she has authoritarian parenting. I don't think many think authoritative is fine. I just don't like it.

Erg I meant to saying I don't think many think authoritative is NOT fine. As in, I think a lot of parents are strict and tough, but warm and loving, like Bonnie.

haremsforbidden
Talker
Talker

Unread post by haremsforbidden »

Boston whines about something in in every vlog, he does it because it brings him the attention he is seeking. Glad to see Bonnie put her foot down today and told him to stop. He isn't the best looking of the bunch either and when he whines is even worse.
Parkerwar
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Parkerwar »

Boston's whining got worse after his surgery when he was getting toys and treats nonstop for two weeks.
PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Boston's hair looks so good today!!!!

winniewise
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by winniewise »

Did I miss something in today's vlog? To me it looked like the swim instructors released the kids to run to the car alone? Ive never heard of any kind of program for kids that doesn't release the kids directly to the parents.

nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

I can't believe she was sitting in the car while the kids were inside! That is crazy to me.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

winniewise wrote:Did I miss something in today's vlog? To me it looked like the swim instructors released the kids to run to the car alone? Ive never heard of any kind of program for kids that doesn't release the kids directly to the parents.

Utah. Everyone is wonderful, and there are no predators.

snkjdgs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snkjdgs »

Did anyone else notice that there were no car seats when they were leaving swim class. And where was Lincoln in the morning when Bonnie was in the car and Joel brought donuts. Was he at home ALONE amusing himself in his toddler kennel?
Last edited by snkjdgs on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
snkjdgs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snkjdgs »

nutbagmcgee wrote:I can't believe she was sitting in the car while the kids were inside! That is crazy to me.
I suspect they kicked the Holliens out from the swim classes because of complaints from other parents about the vlogging, as alluded to by Joel in yesterday's video. Bonnie was probably to embarrassed to go watch her children this morning and boo hoo'ed to Joel, who then felt bad for his wife and brought her donuts while Lincoln was at home in his kennel.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”