John and Joan (IVF grant recipients)

minmouse
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: John and Joan (IVF grant recipients)

Unread post by minmouse »

Oh good lord! A book?? That's just silly. Wonder if this person knows they are two thirty something former alcoholics, one of whom can't keep a job, lived with her parents until recently, think the world owes them something and beg others for money. Yes the stillbirth is sad but I don't see anything else about their story that is book worthy, inspiring or heartwarming.
amyfalafal
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by amyfalafal »

minmouse wrote:Oh good lord! A book?? That's just silly. Wonder if this person knows they are two thirty something former alcoholics, one of whom can't keep a job, lived with her parents until recently, think the world owes them something and beg others for money. Yes the stillbirth is sad but I don't see anything else about their story that is book worthy, inspiring or heartwarming.
They were alcoholics??
minmouse
Gossiper
Gossiper

amyfalafal wrote:
minmouse wrote:Oh good lord! A book?? That's just silly. Wonder if this person knows they are two thirty something former alcoholics, one of whom can't keep a job, lived with her parents until recently, think the world owes them something and beg others for money. Yes the stillbirth is sad but I don't see anything else about their story that is book worthy, inspiring or heartwarming.
They were alcoholics??
John has been sober for 4 years. Joan may or not have been an alcoholic. As she is known to do, her story changes. She's said they have both been sober for 4 years. She's also said she drank but wasn't an alcoholic and chose to quit along with John. So who knows with her. Her wording makes me think she had at the minimum an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.
flowerpuppy
Informer
Informer

Unread post by flowerpuppy »

i don't think the former alcoholism should be viewed as something bad about them like their lying, money begging, rudeness, etc. addiction doesn't make people bad people, and it's great that they've been sober for so long (well, mostly john, since joan said she wasn't an alcoholic and just quit drinking to make it easier on john to quit). it just rubs me the wrong way to see the alcoholism listed in a derogatory way as if it adds to the reasons why they deserve criticism/don't deserve a book (not that i think the book is a good idea)/etc. they have shown plenty of behaviour that warrants skepticism and criticism but i don't think being a recovered alcoholic is one of them
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Blehmieux wrote:i don't think the former alcoholism should be viewed as something bad about them like their lying, money begging, rudeness, etc. addiction doesn't make people bad people, and it's great that they've been sober for so long (well, mostly john, since joan said she wasn't an alcoholic and just quit drinking to make it easier on john to quit). it just rubs me the wrong way to see the alcoholism listed in a derogatory way as if it adds to the reasons why they deserve criticism/don't deserve a book (not that i think the book is a good idea)/etc. they have shown plenty of behaviour that warrants skepticism and criticism but i don't think being a recovered alcoholic is one of them
I would I agree, but the alcoholism is relevant because of Joan's admission that she and John have shared her pills. This is definitely concerning and worthy of side-eye and discussion.

The alcoholism thing also gets a side-eye for me because of Joan's claim that it was their exes that caused both their addictions (and she may now say she wasn't an alcoholic, but she's definitely claimed a substance abuse addiction before). This sounds like passing blame and making excuses to me, and I've seen more far too many excuses from Joan to trust anything she says.

I think they are sketchy people, not at all because of the alcoholism, but because of the general tendency to make themselves victims of life.
flowerpuppy
Informer
Informer

HelloSweetie wrote:
Blehmieux wrote:i don't think the former alcoholism should be viewed as something bad about them like their lying, money begging, rudeness, etc. addiction doesn't make people bad people, and it's great that they've been sober for so long (well, mostly john, since joan said she wasn't an alcoholic and just quit drinking to make it easier on john to quit). it just rubs me the wrong way to see the alcoholism listed in a derogatory way as if it adds to the reasons why they deserve criticism/don't deserve a book (not that i think the book is a good idea)/etc. they have shown plenty of behaviour that warrants skepticism and criticism but i don't think being a recovered alcoholic is one of them
I would I agree, but the alcoholism is relevant because of Joan's admission that she and John have shared her pills. This is definitely concerning and worthy of side-eye and discussion.

The alcoholism thing also gets a side-eye for me because of Joan's claim that it was their exes that caused both their addictions (and she may now say she wasn't an alcoholic, but she's definitely claimed a substance abuse addiction before). This sounds like passing blame and making excuses to me, and I've seen more far too many excuses from Joan to trust anything she says.

I think they are sketchy people, not at all because of the alcoholism, but because of the general tendency to make themselves victims of life.
i agree the pill sharing was very concerning.

i did not know she claimed their exes caused their addictions and i am very interested in seeing that post! do you know where she said that? if she has actually previously said she used to struggle with addiction and is now saying it was only john i guess that's just another notch in joan's contradiction bedpost. i don't get her lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
minmouse
Gossiper
Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:

This is how I feel also. The alcoholism isn't an issue with me. My issue is it coupled with their victim complex and their general shadiness so I included it. I saw this on John's review of the midwives on yelp : "Backcove Midwives, specifically Kristen Ricci, prescribed medications contra-indicated for pregnancy: Adavan, Rescue Remedy Sleep Spray and holistic health tinctures both containing over 80% alcohol. This is an especially poor choice in prescription given my wife is two-years sober and they had implicit knowledge of my wife's sobriety." She may now claim to have stopped drinking to support John but that's not what this says. Typical Joan never giving a straight story. I wonder if an editor would call her out on her BS since writing her story would be filled with so many contradictions and changes.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Blehmieux wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:

i agree the pill sharing was very concerning.

i did not know she claimed their exes caused their addictions and i am very interested in seeing that post! do you know where she said that? if she has actually previously said she used to struggle with addiction and is now saying it was only john i guess that's just another notch in joan's contradiction bedpost. i don't get her lol

It was on one of her IG posts. No idea which one, but maybe the one with the selfie of them drunk and in the bathroom laughing? I think is back quite a bit. It has been discussed here before too, so it's possible it was screen shot if you want to go back and check the thread.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Maybe it's John's normal personality, but he seems completely checked out of this whole thing. I feel like he wants to move on and accept that their life is what it is while Joan is still living in a fantasy world.
flowerpuppy
Informer
Informer

has anybody seen their house tour? what do you guys think of the house?

fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Blehmieux wrote:has anybody seen their house tour? what do you guys think of the house?

I think it's really cute. I was surprised at how well it turned out. Hopefully it's structurally sound as well!
boredmamaneedsdrama
Informer
Informer

Unread post by boredmamaneedsdrama »

I really like the house. Has a lot of character and it's in a beautiful location.
minmouse
Gossiper
Gossiper

I think the house looks great! I especially love the wood beam ceilings. They did a wonderful job and should be proud. I hope the house has good bones and the only reason the realtor and inspector discouraged them from buying it was the amount of work to make it livable and cosmetic, not structural.
blahblahblahhh
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by blahblahblahhh »

She just said on an Instagram caption that the first time she saw John cry was when they were holding Maeve after she was born. I could be wrong and please correct me if I am, but hasn't she said the first time she ever saw him cry was when there was no heartbeat on the ultrasound? I feel like an ass for judging that, but she is constantly adding in little details to different captions to make them more dramatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

I know Joan doesn't listen to advice about anything, but someone needs to tell her not to put 1-minute introductions on her video. That is over-the-top long and annoying.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

blahblahblahhh wrote:She just said on an Instagram caption that the first time she saw John cry was when they were holding Maeve after she was born. I could be wrong and please correct me if I am, but hasn't she said the first time she ever saw him cry was when there was no heartbeat on the ultrasound? I feel like an ass for judging that, but she is constantly adding in little details to different captions to make them more dramatic.

I thought she said he cried after the ultrasound but when they got in the car.

I think Joan is just a storyteller, and her posts often have added details for effect.

Strangely, when I watched the YT video it was hard to believe she was the same person. I found her so much more normal and likeable! She's put a lot of hard work into the house, and this is in stark contrast to the image she presents of a wallowing mother crippled by sorrow. I actually think her IG does her a disservice and that she is perhaps more able to cope with life than we thought.

I loved the house! It was refreshing to see a house with character and "nick nacks." I love that there were so pieces on the home with meaning, and that style was the ultimate focus. I would far rather raise my children in a home like Joan's, than one like Ellie's.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

blahblahblahhh wrote:She just said on an Instagram caption that the first time she saw John cry was when they were holding Maeve after she was born. I could be wrong and please correct me if I am, but hasn't she said the first time she ever saw him cry was when there was no heartbeat on the ultrasound? I feel like an ass for judging that, but she is constantly adding in little details to different captions to make them more dramatic.

Yes. I think she's said he was crying on the way to the hospital. The story of Maeve's birth and what they said to the midwives changes with every telling. Sometimes she had been telling them forever that something was wrong and they ignored her, but they had finally decided she had a growth restriction and were going to induce her, but she went in for lack of movement. Around Maeve's birthday, she said she was going in for a scheduled NST the day they couldn't find her heartbeat. I don't know if she's embellishing, or if she really can't remember exactly because it was all so stressful. Memories aren't like video tapes that we play back in our heads. Memory is a fickle thing.
If I wasn't so busy, and I was more invested I would go through the different versions and see what she's said differently.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
kittypurry
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by kittypurry »

HS is right, she said on the pic of him installing the carseat around Maeve's birthday the first time was in the car on the way to the hospital after they couldn't find her heartbeat on the ultrasound [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 2a9e56.png[/img]

seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

Where'd the house come from? I thought they were struggling to get by.

How old are they?
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

seriously7 wrote:Where'd the house come from? I thought they were struggling to get by.

How old are they?
They bought it for some really cheap price sometime after Maeve died. I think in 2015 or 2016, and have been working on renovating it since.

I'm pretty sure they are both 34.

Return to “Ellie and Jared”