Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Ellie Show: FUN! Edition Part #28

Unread post by Playsinrain »

sostinkincute wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:
kathpt wrote:I understand about a negative 20 about construction and everything that goes into it but couldn't they have leveled the lot before building?
Or at least make it less inclined? If they had built up instead of down couldn't it have helped?
I've always wondered this too! Like would it make the ground unstable? Could they not have brought in dirt and leveled it? Is that not feasible or just way too expensive.. but cost on this home has never felt like an issue, they just keep throwing money into that back yard like they are trying to prove it's not awful. By this time next year, when all the plants are all established, it might be gorgeous, but it's NOT a yard for kids and dogs. Way too many places to get hurt and hardly no space for the kids to actually PLAY! It just blows my mind that they bought that plot of land.
Was the shitty back yard ever discussed in the vlogs during the building process? I can't remember, but would love to know if they had to put all those rocks or chose to put all those rocks back there. I don't know why anyone would choose to make their already small backyard even smaller with all those horrifying rocks, but it almost seems like they had to due to the plot of land.
I've wondered if drainage or runoff, slide risks made them them place the rocks there. I know there were some retaining walls made? I think? Plus some of that work is so shoddy! The little patio to the never used fire pit is falling apart in places!
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

I thought the rocks were for Jackson. They always mentioned plans, but never showed plans

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
Tndbb
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by Tndbb »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 5522df.jpg[/img]
Love how she finally gives Jackson some light... but goes to make it about herself and her miscarriage oh joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

Kylielou wrote:I'm a landscape architect by trade... I don't do a ton of residential work but decided to watch the blog today due to the comments here about the backyard. I really did gasp (not in a good way) when I saw that rock quarry of the back yard. The firepit area looks awesome, but everyone is right. They have dumped a ton of money into that yard (retaining wall city) and it really is such a poor lot. A taller retaining wall along the very back would have allowed them to grade out a larger flat area. I've seen so much worse though so they can throw money at whatever they want. We've been looking for land to build on in the same valley where they live and there are so many lots out there that are so much better than the one that. But I admit that I'm SUPER picky with lots. They have probably dumped 20K+ into this yard by now easily. I know a lot of people have speculated on how much their new house cost. After looking at a lot of real estate in that area (North Logan, Logan and Providence) I'd say their house is in the $500-550K range. I've seen a $610K listing in the same city where they live and it was much more upscale than their place in terms of size and finishes. I do like the interior of their house but I happen to wonder if they will not stay long term in this house. If they continue to have more young children close together I think only having two bedrooms upstairs is going to be problematic.
It's a shame that they didn't just spend that $20k on a better lot. It's really interesting to hear from a landscape architect so thank you for sharing your insight! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Daily Bumps backyard too! haha.

Do a lot of the homes in Logan have a similar layout as theirs? For instance, a bedroom downstairs? That's just not something desirable in my area.
Kylielou
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Kylielou »

I've seen their back yard from a distance (only because there is a large development going in behind their house and there are a bunch of lots for sale at the moment. So we've looked at some of the lots in that development and you can see their back yard from those streets that don't have homes on them.)

Their back yard is a triangle shape. There is a significant amount of grade change from the furthest point in the backyard to the curb in front. Like A LOT of grade change- my guess is 20, maybe even 25' feet. Without seeing a grading plan with contours on them I can only speculate but its significant. That's a lot of grade change for a half acre lot! You can't just level that out. You can take up grade change with the house itself and adjusting what we call the "finished floor elevation" of the house (basically which is the elevation of the main floor of the house) and retaining walls. Problem is the higher you put the finished floor elevation the steeper the garage driveway gets. So the steepness of the driveway tends to limit how high you can place the house on the lot. If the lot was larger you could do more grading to level things out but there just isn't the space on that lot.

They (along with the landscapers input I'm sure) made the design decision to have so many rock walls in back. In many jurisdictions typically you can only have landscapers build a maximum of five foot high rock retaining walls. Anything higher and you need a structural engineer to design them. I do think the backyard will look much better as the landscaping matures. Since we are looking at the rock walls from below you tend to not see the separation of the various levels and they just blend into each other. As the plants mature it will help with that. Another issue I've noticed is that most of their rock walls are just short... like 3' tall. I would have gone with fewer retaining walls and made them 5' tall. Or gone with structural retaining walls type system (not rocks) and built a large retaining wall say along the back where the kids couldn't access the top of it. And then just carved out one or two terraces below. They could have carved out more usable space out of that backyard with more careful thought to the design back there but ultimately they've just terraced the crap out of it.

The thing that is odd to me is that there are lots up in that area we've passed on because I can tell there would be extensive retaining walls needed ($$$$$) but at least they offer outstanding views of the valley, and they are priced as premium view lots. E&J have just dumped massive amounts of money into retaining walls without it being a premium view lot. I have to give them a bit of a pass in that its very difficult for people with an untrained eye to know what they are getting themselves into dealing with grade changes when looking at an undeveloped lot. I know they've said that multiple builders tried to persuade them to not build on that lot and they went with it anyway. I wonder how much of this will affect the resale value of their home down the line. The interior is beautiful in certain areas, but the bathrooms are messed up. I don't know a single soul who wants to sit on the toilet and watch the laundry get clean. The literally have a toilet and sink in the laundry room. If I walked through the house and it was like that, with a wall of terraces in the backyard I'd probably keep looking.
Kylielou
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Kylielou »

It's a shame that they didn't just spend that $20k on a better lot. It's really interesting to hear from a landscape architect so thank you for sharing your insight! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Daily Bumps backyard too! haha.

Do a lot of the homes in Logan have a similar layout as theirs? For instance, a bedroom downstairs? That's just not something desirable in my area.
Yes homes here almost always have basements and its extremely common to have 2-3 bedrooms in the basement (we have to dig foundations below frost depth which is why). I grew up about ten minutes south of where E&J live, and went to college there. We are relocating there soon for work so that's why I'm so familiar with the area. I'd say going with two bedrooms upstairs is a more interesting choice but more builders are doing that and I'm honestly considering that myself. But the difference is my youngest is almost 5 and I will have a teen in a few years. I'm probably wouldn't have made that choice when my children were super young, but I can totally understand their reasoning behind it (you get bigger bedrooms with more usable space).

Wowza I did just look at dailybumps back yard. Pretty much everyone and anyone will be jealous of that.... flat out amazing.
boredmamaneedsdrama
Informer
Informer

Unread post by boredmamaneedsdrama »

1:29

They have been unsure about their lot from the very beginning. Should've trusted their first instincts...
Pency
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pency »

boredmamaneedsdrama wrote: 1:29

They have been unsure about their lot from the very beginning. Should've trusted their first instincts...
Maybe I'm making this up, but does anybody remember another vlog when they were talking about the building process and Ellie mentions that the builder or the excavator gave some sort of push back about the lot and she put her foot down? I feel like even the professionals were a little wary about this lot but Ellie gets what Ellie wants -- a rock quarry in her backyard.
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

Pency wrote:
boredmamaneedsdrama wrote: 1:29

Maybe I'm making this up, but does anybody remember another vlog when they were talking about the building process and Ellie mentions that the builder or the excavator gave some sort of push back about the lot and she put her foot down? I feel like even the professionals were a little wary about this lot but Ellie gets what Ellie wants -- a rock quarry in her backyard.
Yeah I remember her saying the builder recommended they didn't buy that lot but she wanted it and as you said, what Ellie wants Ellie gets.
I think there are so many ways they could have made that backyard a lot nicer and more family friendly. The boulder retaining walls are ugly and they are such a waste of space, if they had of used different retaining walls they would have been able to flatten out more land and it would've opened the space up so much more. Something like this would look nicer, not to mention would probably be safer for the boys

strawberry_smoothie
Talker
Talker

Unread post by strawberry_smoothie »

Very boring vlog today lol. Don't bother watching.
dw30
Talker
Talker

Unread post by dw30 »

Stuuu3 wrote:
Ohnonotme wrote:
Stuuu3 wrote:It bothers me so much! By like you said, it bothers me when anybody does it, not just Ellie and Jared. About the hot tub, it's ridiculous they use it like a freaking pool.
Why do you hate that they use the hot tub like a pool. It's obviously some sort of swim/spa contraption. It's big enough and they, particularly the kids enjoy it. Bizarre thing to call it ridiculous.
I don't hate it. I just think they could have gotten a pool (and hot tub) if they were planning on using it this way. Children Jackson and Calvin's age shouldn't be allowed in the hot tub as it is dangerous for them. I understand now that it's summer Jared set the water temperature to "warm" so that wouldn't be a problem (even though they've used it all winter long with the kids when it was HOT). Regardless, the tub is not deep enough for diving, which they do constantly and encourage Jackson to do too.
You must be fun at parties.[/quote]

LOL because I think that with the amount of money they spend they could have gotten a pool instead of jumping into a tub?[/quote]

I worked for a company that provided equipment & chemicals for pools and spas (hot tubs). Heat breeds bacteria so the amount of chemicals you need to regulate your hot tub is quite disgusting. Illnesses and infections spread quite easily with hot tubs, they completely gross me out. I've heard of too many horror stories to ever swim in one again. Also, it's not recommended to dunk your head underwater in a hot tub as your hair may get caught in the jets and filters resulting in drowning. I do know of a couple of cases here in Australia, specifically the Gold Coast where children have drowned because of hair getting caught. So in saying that, I hate their lack of safety when it comes to their hot tub. It simply is not a pool.

kathpt
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kathpt »

dw30 wrote:
I worked for a company that provided equipment & chemicals for pools and spas (hot tubs). Heat breeds bacteria so the amount of chemicals you need to regulate your hot tub is quite disgusting. Illnesses and infections spread quite easily with hot tubs, they completely gross me out. I've heard of too many horror stories to ever swim in one again. Also, it's not recommended to dunk your head underwater in a hot tub as your hair may get caught in the jets and filters resulting in drowning. I do know of a couple of cases here in Australia, specifically the Gold Coast where children have drowned because of hair getting caught. So in saying that, I hate their lack of safety when it comes to their hot tub. It simply is not a pool.

shit, that is terrifying D:

okay thank you for explaining the backyard situation. i dont understand that backyard at all. and they want to put chickens in the flattest part? fuck logic
you can call me kath.
phie20
Informer
Informer

Unread post by phie20 »

Funny, it's always the viewers that give the best presents to the boys.
Some things will never change.
thanksalatte
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by thanksalatte »

Jackson's front flips make me really nervous. You can see how far out the hot tub seats go in the vlog. I maybe get jumping into the deeper part feet first, but head first near the seats? Accident waiting to happen.
strawberry_smoothie
Talker
Talker

Unread post by strawberry_smoothie »

Wouldn't surprise me if E+J are well aware of the dangers and are waiting for something to happen so they can have a "RUSHED TO THE ER!!!!" vlog.
ApplePie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ApplePie »

strawberry_smoothie wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if E+J are well aware of the dangers and are waiting for something to happen so they can have a "RUSHED TO THE ER!!!!" vlog.
This is E&J we're talking about. They don't even rush their kids to the ER when they stop breathing.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

They won't take him to the ER ... Chiropractor, yes

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

I just watched the vlog and had a very physical reaction when watching Jackson flip into the hot tub. It was as bad as watching the 'soft as a baby's bum' vlog, in a different way, of course.
Also, I really cannot handle ANY more of Jared's My Heart Is so Full of Gratitude speeches at the end. Barf.
Pency
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pency »

They are absolutely CRAZY to let Jackson front flip like that into the hot tub. That's so so so dangerous! Don't they make the kids wear helmets when they ride their bikes? It seems absolutely nuts to me to be that unconcerned with flipping into a shallow pool like that when you have even an iota of understanding about head injuries. They should be forced to watch testimonials on people who have spinal injuries due to diving into shallow pools, because it happens SO MUCH.
Madsmom110
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Madsmom110 »

The hot tub water looked murky AF in the gopro footage.

Return to “Ellie and Jared”