Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie Hoellein: A Butt-Squeezing Good Time | Part 12

Unread post by Addicted2vlogs »

amyfalafal wrote:
dw30 wrote:
kathpt wrote:The cheerios question was an honest question! I wasn't judging.
I was surprised and decided to ask because I try to not eat processed sugar at breakfast everyday. But then again I'm not the best person to talk about that because I restrict the amount of sugar I eat in an unhealthy way.
I restrict the amount of sugar my kids eat too and steer clear from most cereals. Weetbix or porridge (oatmeal) are our go to's. It's simply normal for my family. Does anyone else's kids go completely crazy when they've had sugar?? Mine do! They do consume a lot of natural sugar though, big fruit eaters. In saying that if I offered them a sugary alternative they'd definitely take it. I just don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also restrict the amount of sugar. I am from the US, but not living there anymore and happy to say the country we live in doesnt have high fructose corn syrup in our foods, especially kids' cereals. Over the years, and while growing up, I didnt realise how much sugar there is in US so called breakfast foods. I am shocked and I ate all of that growing up. For example, POP TARTS on the way to school, lol! I'd never let my kids eat pop tarts... sugary cereals, as well.
But plain 4-wheat-cheerios contain 4g sugar per serve where we are right now, and I don't give a full serving (maybe 1/3), and the kids love to eat it dry with kefit/yogurt and fruits. My kids go through cycles of what they want for breakfast so I pick my battles wisely. Im the boss of my "castle" so they eat what I offer them, and try to keep it healthy as much as possible.

This is a little off topic but relevant! Buzzfeed done a "Australians try American breakfast foods" and it was CRAZY seeing some of the cereals you guys have over there. Here in Australia we have A LOT of banned additives, so it was interesting.

100% agree, there's nothing wrong with sugary yummy foods, but portions and balance is so important on little growing bodies and young teeth.

We wouldn't even pick up on it if we seen a bit more salad, chicken, fish, veggies etc... but all we see is sugar & processed.

BaffledByItAll
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by BaffledByItAll »

amyfalafal wrote:
dw30 wrote:
kathpt wrote:The cheerios question was an honest question! I wasn't judging.
I was surprised and decided to ask because I try to not eat processed sugar at breakfast everyday. But then again I'm not the best person to talk about that because I restrict the amount of sugar I eat in an unhealthy way.
I restrict the amount of sugar my kids eat too and steer clear from most cereals. Weetbix or porridge (oatmeal) are our go to's. It's simply normal for my family. Does anyone else's kids go completely crazy when they've had sugar?? Mine do! They do consume a lot of natural sugar though, big fruit eaters. In saying that if I offered them a sugary alternative they'd definitely take it. I just don't.

I also restrict the amount of sugar. I am from the US, but not living there anymore and happy to say the country we live in doesnt have high fructose corn syrup in our foods, especially kids' cereals. Over the years, and while growing up, I didnt realise how much sugar there is in US so called breakfast foods. I am shocked and I ate all of that growing up. For example, POP TARTS on the way to school, lol! I'd never let my kids eat pop tarts... sugary cereals, as well.
But plain 4-wheat-cheerios contain 4g sugar per serve where we are right now, and I don't give a full serving (maybe 1/3), and the kids love to eat it dry with kefit/yogurt and fruits. My kids go through cycles of what they want for breakfast so I pick my battles wisely. Im the boss of my "castle" so they eat what I offer them, and try to keep it healthy as much as possible.
The sad thing is that the stuff they claim is healthy like the yogurt so often has way more sugar than the most of the sugary breakfast cereals and snacks. For comparison sake a single serving Greek Yoplait Yogurt has 18 g of sugar, which is more than you get in a poptart, a serving of a cereal like Captain Crunch or Trix, or a Nutri-Grain Bar. Plain Kefir has anywhere from 12-20 g per serving (more if fruit flavored) which is also more sugar in a serving than any of those above things. Honestly, there's not much that is healthy anymore unless we're literally eating plain grain cereal like plain Cheerios, or fruit.
PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by PostyMcPosterston »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 09aa93.png[/img]

Are we all buying the same Cheerios? My box reflects what the website claims.

BaffledByItAll
Amateur
Amateur

PostyMcPosterston wrote:

There are a few different types. I personally prefer the Honey Nut Cheerios just because they have more flavor and they have 9g of sugar per serving, but I probably only eat about 1/2 or less of that so still not bad. I mean, I drink Mountain Dew so I can't say much... lol. I do try to watch my sugar in other areas. The plain ones you listed are certainly the healthiest as far as sugar goes. My mom was the one who alerted me to the amount of sugar in yogurt. I wasn't really thinking just because I was trying to eat healthier things for breakfast and she was like, "Well look at the packages because that's not the way to go in a lot of cases." The Chobani plain Greek Yogurt has 4g/serving and that's about as low as I've found. The blueberry Greek of the same brand which I love is 20g :(
dw30
Talker
Talker

Unread post by dw30 »

BaffledByItAll wrote:
PostyMcPosterston wrote:

There are a few different types. I personally prefer the Honey Nut Cheerios just because they have more flavor and they have 9g of sugar per serving, but I probably only eat about 1/2 or less of that so still not bad. I mean, I drink Mountain Dew so I can't say much... lol. I do try to watch my sugar in other areas. The plain ones you listed are certainly the healthiest as far as sugar goes. My mom was the one who alerted me to the amount of sugar in yogurt. I wasn't really thinking just because I was trying to eat healthier things for breakfast and she was like, "Well look at the packages because that's not the way to go in a lot of cases." The Chobani plain Greek Yogurt has 4g/serving and that's about as low as I've found. The blueberry Greek of the same brand which I love is 20g :(
Plain Greek yoghurt is so good for you, I mix some probiotics into it and add honey and fruit. So yummy and a much healthier alternative to other yoghurts on the market. I did find out from my dentist that too much honey is not recommended for toddlers/kids cause it just coats their teeth. I figure honey is better than sugar and just remember to brush our teeth well. It's so frustrating trying to find that healthy balance for your kids.

I think that's part of the reason I get caught up watching these vlogs, the food that they eat is so different to my lifestyle. It appears to me that there diet just seems progressively worse the longer I watch them, either that or I just notice it more now.

Also, I'm curious as to why their whole house still stunk in the morning when Lincoln was sick. Did they not clean up as he vomited/pooped?? The poor babysitter! I have a very sensitive gag reflex so stinky stuff are dealt with pronto! Otherwise I'd be contributing to the mess. Hahaha!

actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

i miss bonnie's old vlogs.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Going back to the diet talk, we see the Hoellein kids eat a ton of fruit and healthy dinners too, they just aren't focused on as much as the treats. The kids don't only eat junk. The way Linc packs back fruit is pretty impressive given how picky most toddlers can be.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

I thought all toddler's ate cheerios. Totally a normal food for a kid his age. It's nice to see cheerios rather than fruit loops or something really sugary and artificial.
Parkerwar
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Parkerwar »

"Very rigid financial goals"

Spent a month in Hawaii
Hair extensions x 2
Fake eyelashes
Microbladed eyebrows

Excuse me if I roll my eyes. Whoever said they are trying to get a free truck hit the nail on the head.
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

Parkerwar wrote:"Very rigid financial goals"

Spent a month in Hawaii
Hair extensions x 2
Fake eyelashes
Microbladed eyebrows

Excuse me if I roll my eyes. Whoever said they are trying to get a free truck hit the nail on the head.
I'm sorry but I disagree. These things only add up to possibly a quarter what a pickup truck would cost (because I'm sure Joel is going to get a really nice one). That month in hawaii sounds extravagant, but they didn't have to take time off work. The fact that they were able to do a monthly rental meant that they spent less for rent in that month than most people that size would end up spending over a 7 night trip. I judge them taking the trip when the kids were in school, but not taking the trip at all. Most of us take family vacations.

The self care stuff seems to be Bonnie's hobby, and likely amounts to $2000 a year or so. This isn't keeping Joel from getting a truck. It sounds like they want to pay for one with cash, and I think thats actually admirable. I get the impression a lot of the other family bloggers (that also take many trips and are still very concerned with their appearance) have multiple car LOANS. It's their money, and I think it's nitpicky to argue they should save every penny for Joel to get a truck if that isn't the number one priority. Maybe a family vacations was more important?

But I honestly don't care if they do get a truck sponsorship. I think Joel would actually be a good fit because he would get a lot of use out of one, and be able to show off the features. At least he helps out other people!

But I don't think they are fishing for a sponsorship. They haven't bought a new house yet either, and really haven't upgraded their lifestyle that much considering they are making the same kind of money that Ellie is.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

BadWolf wrote:

Spent a month in Hawaii
Hair extensions x 2
Fake eyelashes
Microbladed eyebrows

I'm sorry but I disagree. These things only add up to possibly a quarter what a pickup truck would cost (because I'm sure Joel is going to get a really nice one). That month in hawaii sounds extravagant, but they didn't have to take time off work. The fact that they were able to do a monthly rental meant that they spent less for rent in that month than most people that size would end up spending over a 7 night trip. I judge them taking the trip when the kids were in school, but not taking the trip at all. Most of us take family vacations.

The self care stuff seems to be Bonnie's hobby, and likely amounts to $2000 a year or so. This isn't keeping Joel from getting a truck. It sounds like they want to pay for one with cash, and I think thats actually admirable. I get the impression a lot of the other family bloggers (that also take many trips and are still very concerned with their appearance) have multiple car LOANS. It's their money, and I think it's nitpicky to argue they should save every penny for Joel to get a truck if that isn't the number one priority. Maybe a family vacations was more important?

But I honestly don't care if they do get a truck sponsorship. I think Joel would actually be a good fit because he would get a lot of use out of one, and be able to show off the features. At least he helps out other people!

But I don't think they are fishing for a sponsorship. They haven't bought a new house yet either, and really haven't upgraded their lifestyle that much considering they are making the same kind of money that Ellie is.
I agree. I was glad to hear they have financial goals. I don't think Bonnie's hair and brows are dipping into Joel's truck fund that much. I mean, she doesn't seem to spend that much on other interests. Beauty is her thing. Let's say she spends $5k a year between treatments, cosmetics, hair, etc (because she didn't even color her hair until just recently).... if she really makes about a half a million a year that's nothing. It's not going to keep Joel from his truck. Plus Joel has a lot of fancy toys and tools too, he's not exactly deprived.
Nuna
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Nuna »

I'm confused why people are so bothered by Bonnie getting her hair done. I am in no way a high maintenance person, but I get my hair cut/colored routinely and probably spend close to $1000 a year if I think about it. I don't make the same amount that Bonnie does, but feeling good about myself is still a priority. Am I supposed to be sacrificing my own care to save up for family goals?

If Bonnie didn't get her hair colored until recently and usually has Ellie cut her hair the little she does cut it, then she really hasn't spent that much money. This seems like people trying to exaggerate things to me. It's not like she's out every week getting blowouts! I looked up brow treatments and understand it ranges from $300-$500, but it can last for a few years. Depending on the brow pencil she uses, she could end up breaking even.

And the family vacation was for everyone. I don't think a truck should have been prioritized over that. Not sure how people think this is a selfish decision :? Lets be real here, Joel has a trailer. He doesn't NEED a truck. If they aren't ready to buy one yet, or want to wait until they can afford one thats top of the line then that's their choice. Too many people would rush out and just buy one expecting that they would be able to pay off the loan in the future!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

And I am sure that if he did go out and buy a truck, someone would complain about that. They upgraded their house instead of buying a McMansion. They have been on one extravagant vacation. The Disneyland trip was a sponsorship. Bonnie does spend on her hair and makeup, but it's not insane. She's not using La Mer. They don't go nuts over holidays or kids' birthdays. They don't have a network eating into their earnings. I just don't see them going crazy with the spending.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

lmmomSD wrote:And I am sure that if he did go out and buy a truck, someone would complain about that. They upgraded their house instead of buying a McMansion. They have been on one extravagant vacation. The Disneyland trip was a sponsorship. Bonnie does spend on her hair and makeup, but it's not insane. She's not using La Mer. They don't go nuts over holidays or kids' birthdays. They don't have a network eating into their earnings. I just don't see them going crazy with the spending.

Exactly. They have many faults for sure, but definitely seem to be good with their money. Hearing any vlogger mention financial goals at all is fairly refreshing these days!
BaffledByItAll
Amateur
Amateur

HelloSweetie wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:And I am sure that if he did go out and buy a truck, someone would complain about that. They upgraded their house instead of buying a McMansion. They have been on one extravagant vacation. The Disneyland trip was a sponsorship. Bonnie does spend on her hair and makeup, but it's not insane. She's not using La Mer. They don't go nuts over holidays or kids' birthdays. They don't have a network eating into their earnings. I just don't see them going crazy with the spending.

Exactly. They have many faults for sure, but definitely seem to be good with their money. Hearing any vlogger mention financial goals at all is fairly refreshing these days!
I so agree, and I'm thinking they may be the type of people who would rather purchase a car outright than have a monthly payment/loan. I mean they redid the entire house pretty much all at once so it seems like they save up until they can truly afford big projects. I wouldn't be surprised if they're putting something away knowing eventually he'll get his truck and that's why he's not too bothered by it. They seem to be pretty budget conscious if nothing else. But honestly I agree that their family would actually be a decent sponsorship for any car dealership minus the major car seat safety issue (I could see no company wanting to take on that liability) but Joel seems to really love and drive his car, enjoy fixing it up, etc... He'd definitely do great at talking about different features and showing how he uses a nice truck. I think either way they'll be fine.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

Spent a month in Hawaii
Hair extensions x 2
Fake eyelashes
Microbladed eyebrows

I have to imagine this is one of the things Bonnie and Joel fight about. Not necessarily the truck (which I agree they're probably looking for a sponsor, though it doesn't piss me off). She's said in the past that they fight a lot. And though her beauty expenditures totalled less in the past, she still got manicures and loved expensive cosmetics back when Joel was supporting the family working at P&G. This has probably always been a stress point for them. I would imagine her excuse is that she needs to look good on the vlog, the kids need to be seen in cute clothes, etc. It's all a bit much... I guess she likes the eyelashes, because she keeps getting them done the same way, though IMO there must be a middle ground somewhere between no extensions at all, and crazy obviously-fake lashes.

But at least her kids aren't rotating between the only 2 shirts they own.
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

I've always been under the impression that they are of the 'easy come, easy go' state of mind regarding their new YT jobs. No reason to side-eye their spending habits just yet, IMO.
PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by PostyMcPosterston »

While I don't think Bonnie spends too much on maintenance, she has said she always has colored her hair. Just her natural color, to give it more vibrancy. I think Ellie did it for her most of the time. So that's like $5-7 a tube of color. And maybe $30 for a bottle of developer that would last her a year.

I'm willing to bet that have factored in beauty into their budget anyway. If they even have one.
I doubt they have always had a good method of budgeting anyway, as Bonnie has mentioned a couple times that she's forgotten to pay bills.

I assumed they have house projects in mind, and maybe paying off her car if it's not already? And perhaps some kind of debts? Joel totally needs and I think has earned a new truck, but is being smart and sensible to pretend he doesn't care about driving that piece of crap car lol. I'll be happy for Joel when they decide to buy!

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

PostyMcPosterston wrote:While I don't think Bonnie spends too much on maintenance, she has said she always has colored her hair. Just her natural color, to give it more vibrancy. I think Ellie did it for her most of the time. So that's like $5-7 a tube of color. And maybe $30 for a bottle of developer that would last her a year.

I'm willing to bet that have factored in beauty into their budget anyway. If they even have one.
I doubt they have always had a good method of budgeting anyway, as Bonnie has mentioned a couple times that she's forgotten to pay bills.

I assumed they have house projects in mind, and maybe paying off her car if it's not already? And perhaps some kind of debts? Joel totally needs and I think has earned a new truck, but is being smart and sensible to pretend he doesn't care about driving that piece of crap car lol. I'll be happy for Joel when they decide to buy!

If he enjoys saving and is the more frugal partner, he may really not mind driving the old car. My husband is CHEAP and refuses to buy a new car for himself until it dies. He has more than enough for a new one, but doesn't care what people think of how much money he has. Joel has a trailer, so he doesn't need a truck... it would make things easier though.

We know they prioritize projects and don't just go for it because they have mentioned waiting until next year to redo the fence. I highly doubt they have any debt at this point, or I can't see how they ever stayed afloat before.

I swear Bonnie said in the extension vlog that she never colours her hair and that this was a first for her. She's thirty and has 4 children... my guess is she's got some grey starting and has to start doing something to address it Image
amyfalafal
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by amyfalafal »

Spent a month in Hawaii
Hair extensions x 2
Fake eyelashes
Microbladed eyebrows

I think they mentioned buying a rental property... that's what I assumed they were talking about.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”