Bonnie Hoellein: A Butt-Squeezing Good Time | Part 12

ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie Hoellein: A Butt-Squeezing Good Time | Part 12

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

lmmomSD wrote:She was actually away at college? Phebotomist school is basically a certificate program. You probably have to learn CPR, but it's not a really hard course of study.
I wonder why she's so vague about it. I don't think she's purposely lying but it just seems like the stories don't add up, and she's always really vague (sorry to use that term again) about her work before Olivia.
Now I think she went "away" for beauty school for a very short period of time and rented an apartment (with roommates) while she was in another town. Didn't Ellie do the same? I don't remember if little Roy, Utah, has a beauty school.

It's always interesting to me how they (and other YTers) mention something in passing and make it sound so big and important, but it's truly just a blip in their actual life. Bonnie and Joel TOTALLY sped through their college info question like they didn't want to be caught in a lie! LOL
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Mystery solved! She went to USU's "New Horizons Beauty College" in Logan.

I still think Ellie's Cosmetology was a vocational program though. She didn't have time to go away, and was in hair school prior to getting married and moving away with Jared. This could explain why Bonnie seems so much better at it than Ellie.
boredmamaneedsdrama
Informer
Informer

Unread post by boredmamaneedsdrama »

RecklessDisregard wrote:
alym0326 wrote:Can someone please point me in the direction of vlogs or blog posts that talk about Bonnie's jobs/career? Not that I don't believe when people talk about her having some sort of a medical background, I just can't remember her ever mentioning that and want to find out more. All I remember is her going to beauty school and working in salons. TIA Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried randomly (unsuccessfully) looking around through her vlogs, as I'm also one of the people who thought she had previously been a phlebotomist. I'm also quite sure Joel mentioned her having worked as an EMT at some point in recent history. Maybe when Lincoln had to get stitches?

In terms of career training, I would hazard a guess that she did vocational training in high school (for students who aren't on the college track) for beauty school. Where I live, you can train to become an EMT anywhere from an accelerated program that's 19 days, to a 2-year associate's degree. Similarly there are programs ranging from 4 weeks to associates degrees for phlebotomy training.

Since she and Joel are the same age and he did a mission, that's definitely enough time to train for a career and start a (short-lived) career. She has also said they lived in a studio apartment for the first year of their marriage and that she worked until some time during her pregnancy with Olivia. They are Dave Ramsey followers, so it makes sense that they would live below their means initially, and I can see that potentially urging her to seek training and better-paid employment in the medical field. I would bet that Utah is overrun with beauticians.
yes, at 5:51 they mentioned Bonnie being an EMT.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

She wasn't ever registered as an EMT in Utah. Not under her maiden name, either.
The Griffiths are just really loose with words like that. And it really annoys me. My son passed the NREMT as part of his Army medic training. I was an RN. We both worked hard and studied hard for that certification. It's disrespectful to the people who do hold that certification to misuse it as lightly as they do.
Even if she was part of the volunteer fire department like Joel, to actually say she was an EMT, she would have to be certified. Even volunteer EMT's must be certified.[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... 6445bd.jpg[/img]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

lmmomSD wrote:She wasn't ever registered as an EMT in Utah. Not under her maiden name, either.
The Griffiths are just really loose with words like that. And it really annoys me. My son passed the NREMT as part of his Army medic training. I was an RN. We both worked hard and studied hard for that certification. It's disrespectful to the people who do hold that certification to misuse it as lightly as they do.
Even if she was part of the volunteer fire department like Joel, to actually say she was an EMT, she would have to be certified. Even volunteer EMT's must be certified.

I get what you are trying to say, but I think this is a bit unfair. Bonnie didn't even bring up the EMT thing (Joel did) and it came up during a moment when they were talking about being prepared for a crisis. Sure Bonnie repeated it, but because she was responding to what Joel had said, and they both were probably referring to whatever kind of CPR/Emergency training she would have needed for her Phlebotomy training. They didn't sit down in the Q&A or any other video and say that Bonnie was a paramedic or anything. I don't think they were intending to mislead people or give a false impression at all. They were saying she should have been more prepared for Linc's head injury because of whatever training she has, which would be true with even basic first aid. They weren't saying that Bonnie could have saved a life after watching a car accident or anything. I understand how this can definitely be annoying, but I think this situation is very different from someone intentionally misleading to appear to be greater than they are.

Looking up her certification seems a bit like a witch hunt to me. She never said, nor implied that she was an NREMT. A quick Google search does seem that EMT is a basic technical course in UT, and can be done at a school called EMT in only 160 hrs. For comparison, her cosmetology degree was 2000 hrs.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

I agree that Bonnie wasn't trying to misrepresent herself. Both she and Joel were saying that Bonnie should be better prepared to handle emergencies like Linc cutting his head open.... and I think she's right.
Whotiesyourshoes
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Whotiesyourshoes »

[quote="lmmomSD"]She wasn't ever registered as an EMT in Utah. Not under her maiden name, either.
Even if she was part of the volunteer fire department like Joel, to actually say she was an EMT, she would have to be certified. Even volunteer EMT's must be certified.[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... 6445bd.jpg

I agree with this and it's one of my biggest pet peeves about them. Mainly Bonnie. She gives off this holier than tho, jack of all trades personality more often than not now. As far as the EMT statement. He flat out said it from what I recall and she backed it up. It would be just like me saying because I took medical classes in college I'm a nurse. I'm not one, I'm not certified to be one, and I would claim or lead people to think I was.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Oh, I don't think she was lying or _trying_ to misrepresent. I put it badly. And as far as looking up the certification, people here look up facts about them all the time. Someone just posted where she. went to college. People look up their contractor, all kinds of things. I wanted to know if she really was an EMT, because they are vague about what she did. Saying you're an EMT implies certification to me. Not just taking the course. That's a semantic difference that matters to me, because I know how hard it is to have the certification. You don't say you were a doctor if you didn't pass your MD. You don't call yourself a lawyer if you haven't passed the bar. And you don't say you were an EMT if you weren't certified. Am I the only one who thinks that way?
I did put it badly, in that I don't think that they're trying to purposely be misleading. I just think that the Griffiths throw terms around that aren't accurate, because they don't understand the effort involved. Like the way Ellie says "We were in college", when she wasn't. She was just living in married housing with Jared. And comparing the hours needed to get a cosmetology license vs an EMT sounded like a put down. Sorry if you didn't mean it that way, but it got my hackles up. EMT's save lives. Every day. I don't know why there's so many more hours required to be a cosmetologist, but it doesn't make sense. I honestly think she thinks that if she passed CPR and/or basic first aid, it means she's an EMT.

BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

lmmomSD wrote:Oh, I don't think she was lying or _trying_ to misrepresent. I put it badly. And as far as looking up the certification, people here look up facts about them all the time. Someone just posted where she. went to college. People look up their contractor, all kinds of things. I wanted to know if she really was an EMT, because they are vague about what she did. Saying you're an EMT implies certification to me. Not just taking the course. That's a semantic difference that matters to me, because I know how hard it is to have the certification. You don't say you were a doctor if you didn't pass your MD. You don't call yourself a lawyer if you haven't passed the bar. And you don't say you were an EMT if you weren't certified. Am I the only one who thinks that way?
I did put it badly, in that I don't think that they're trying to purposely be misleading. I just think that the Griffiths throw terms around that aren't accurate, because they don't understand the effort involved. Like the way Ellie says "We were in college", when she wasn't. She was just living in married housing with Jared. And comparing the hours needed to get a cosmetology license vs an EMT sounded like a put down. Sorry if you didn't mean it that way, but it got my hackles up. EMT's save lives. Every day. I don't know why there's so many more hours required to be a cosmetologist, but it doesn't make sense. I honestly think she thinks that if she passed CPR and/or basic first aid, it means she's an EMT.

I didn't mention the 2000 hrs to dismiss EMT training. You said yourself that your son has years of training! I was pointing out that in UT... where they live and where this matters, EMT CAN mean a simple one month course. Its likely very different, but the term is relevant to where she lives.

This is a UT vs CA issue. Not a Bonnie vs REMT issue.

I wasn't intending to offend your son at all, just as I doubt Bonnie was intending to imply she was a paramedic.

Like I said before, I feel this is grasping at straws. She did do a form of first aid training, and its entirely possible it was the EMT technician course. Ellie did NOT go to college when Jared did in any capacity. Totally different.

UT certification expires, and its entirely likely Bonnie's has lapsed, so IMO her name not being listed doesn't really mean anything. Her cosmetology license will lapse in Sept, but she will still have been a Cosmetologist.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

People need to remember on threes boards that titles and careers differ widely based on where a person lives. This is why people often have trouble finding work when moving from one part of the country to another and often need to recertify.

For example, the term "nurse" means different things depending on where you live as well. To some it's a two year program, and others a four year bachelors.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HelloSweetie wrote:People need to remember on threes boards that titles and careers differ widely based on where a person lives. This is why people often have trouble finding work when moving from one part of the country to another and often need to recertify.

For example, the term "nurse" means different things depending on where you live as well. To some it's a two year program, and others a four year bachelors.
But the test for NREMT (it's National Registered EMT) is the same all over the country. As is the RN license exam. You can go to a two year program, or a four year bachelor's degree in nursing, but you take the exact same exam, in every state. I could go on about how ridiculous it is to have individual state licensing in nursing, but this isn't the place. Different states may have differing hour requirements for education, but the test is the same. At least in the US. And even if her certification had lapsed, there would be a record. It would say "expired", or "lapsed".
Sorry for getting all riled up over the hours involved. My son didn't study for "years", but he did work hard.
Don't want to derail the thread any more over semantics.
Agree to disagree.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Bonnie Hoellein: A Butt-Squeezing Good Time | Part 12

lmmomSD wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:People need to remember on threes boards that titles and careers differ widely based on where a person lives. This is why people often have trouble finding work when moving from one part of the country to another and often need to recertify.

But the test for NREMT (it's National Registered EMT) is the same all over the country. As is the RN license exam. You can go to a two year program, or a four year bachelor's degree in nursing, but you take the exact same exam, in every state. I could go on about how ridiculous it is to have individual state licensing in nursing, but this isn't the place. Different states may have differing hour requirements for education, but the test is the same. At least in the US. And even if her certification had lapsed, there would be a record. It would say "expired", or "lapsed".
Sorry for getting all riled up over the hours involved. My son didn't study for "years", but he did work hard.
Don't want to derail the thread any more over semantics.
Agree to disagree.

Not in Canada. In Canada nurse refers to an LPN and an RN. Both are very different. Both have different pay grades and testing and things they can and can't do. That's my point. Same word, but means different things depending on where you live.

Regardless, I don't think Bonnie was trying to imply she was like your son. It hasn't even come up since, and was literally a comment "in the moment" and not some premeditated lie. They were it to criticize her and not build her up.

(There is a training school in UT that is literally called EMT UT and has the basic courses. That could also be what they are referring to. Maybe she had some but not all?)
formerctfxcer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by formerctfxcer »

In the US a nurse could refer to someone with an LPN, RN, or BSN. But I agree with immomsd. I went to school to be an RD. But I didn't take the test so I'm not one. I don't just loosely throw around that I'm a nutritionist or dietitian because I feel like that's false information. I also agree that Bonnie and Joel didn't mean to misrepresent themselves (if that's actually what happened since none of us really seem to be sure if Bonnie has some sort of lower level EMT cert or if it was just what she had to do for phlebotomy).

Just wanted to add that I found out Bonnie was a phlebotomist through her blog which has since been taken down but I think some people have accessed since then? If I recall correctly, she discussed being one and that she was in charge of people at the office she worked at...not sure if it was a blood plasma donation center or something? I really can't remember all the details but I know the details used to be out there.

justkidding
Talker
Talker

Unread post by justkidding »

She just talked about being a phlebotomist in her 50 things video she posted this week. She even referenced how many times she had "stuck" someone (not sure she used that word), I think it was like 1000 times. She did not make any further mention of the EMT title in that video.

winniewise
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by winniewise »

I think the reason they are secretive about their lives between highschool and when Olivia was born is because they were living together before they were married.
This is totally just my guess, they've never said they were. Have we seen wedding pictures from them? Did they have a temple wedding?
I think a second reason could be because Joel never graduated from the University he went to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
winniewise
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by winniewise »

winniewise wrote:I think the reason they are secretive about their lives between highschool and when Olivia was born is because they were living together before they were married.
This is totally just my guess, they've never said they were. Have we seen wedding pictures from them? Did they have a temple wedding?
I think a second reason could be because Joel never graduated from the University he went to.

Never mind! I just rewatched their how we met video and they were married two months after Joel got back from his mission. They were both living in Logan, but they had different apartments.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

I think the reason the older blog has been made private is because it was before any of the Griffiths were doing YT. The newer one (that isn't private) goes back to around the same time as when Bonnie and Joel were already appearing in E&J's vlogs and were probably a little more careful about who and what they shared. My guess is that her older blog may have contained pictures of family and school friends that may not want to be in the public eye. Who knows though. All the Griffiths changed blog platforms around the same time for some reason. Julie's are still public, and are fairly informative. (For instance I learned that Ellie either already had her Cosmetology certificate already or was well on her way to completing it when she was only 17. Someone suggested before that she may not have graduated, and now I'm wondering if she just quit and moved on to hair school?).

Anyway, this photographer took Bonnie and Joel's engagement and wedding photos so you can find them here: (The wedding pics have expired but they are still searchable and have been posted here before)

http://momentsbykellee.blogspot.com/200 ... -joel.html

We do know from pics that they did have a temple wedding.
boredmamaneedsdrama
Informer
Informer

Unread post by boredmamaneedsdrama »

Im not sure if Joel did in fact graduate or not but he was still studying after Boston was born. It's in a post titled Being Lazy

http://hoelleins1.rssing.com/chan-6279997/all_p1.html

There's also posts about getting pregnant with Boston and being disappointed he was a boy because of "how important sisters are".
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

I'm only just getting around to her 50 things video, and I'm so glad to hear she hates the word "kiddos" because I do too & I thought I was the only one lol. Can't stand it but everyone seems to be saying it these days.
YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

boredmamaneedsdrama wrote:Im not sure if Joel did in fact graduate or not but he was still studying after Boston was born. It's in a post titled Being Lazy

http://hoelleins1.rssing.com/chan-6279997/all_p1.html

There's also posts about getting pregnant with Boston and being disappointed he was a boy because of "how important sisters are".
Side note- I've never really seen pictures of Cody as a baby. He looks so different than Boston & Lincoln's baby stage to me!

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”