DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

justkidding wrote:It sounds like he will go 2 days a week. That seems like a great transition for a child who has had no formal classes outside of swim lessons. People can criticize them or celebrate the fact that they are putting him in preschool now. I think it sounds like a good starting point for him. He looked really excited in the classroom.

On the other side, I don't see a big deal if they decide to pull him out for vacations periodically. It's preschool not middle school. I know it will be more often than most families, but it is still preschool.

I have heard of many boys with summer birthdays and parents have decided to either have them start school late or repeat kindergarten. The Southwest states start school early and therefore tend to have early cutoff dates. He is simply young and small for his class. I thought Missy's attitude starting the year that he may need 2 years of preschool was really healthy.

It will be interesting to see what he learns this coming year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two days a week and they are already talking about how it's ok to miss days and not get there on time?

I'm just saying, don't be surprised when we are all saying they aren't taking it seriously a month from now.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

They'll pull him once he can read. Teaching him to read is probably one of her biggest fears.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

Unread post by Theirmom »

I know how much everyone looooves the "they do it THIS way where I live" posts, but I just can't believe how different it is in the U.S.

I'm in Ontario. There is no "cut off" for birthdays in regards to starting school. Our schools go from junior kindergarten to 12, and you start the year you turn 4. It doesn't matter if your birthday is January 1st or December 31st. You start with your peers.
You have the option of skipping junior kindergarten, but only if you're in the English only tract. My kids are in French immersion, and you can't keep them back a year if you want them in the second language program, or else they'll be a year behind their peers (and they MUST go into their same-age class, not with the younger cohort, there's no option for a 5 year old to go into jk, they go right to senior kindy).

They also don't "fail" kids or hold them back. They just assign a resource teacher to help your kid catch up and remain with their peer group.

The notion of holding kids back and making them attend school with a younger cohort is all very bizarre to me. My oldest was 3 when he started school, and turned 4 in October. That was KINDERGARTEN. It's astounding to me that my kid was YOUNGER than Ollie when he went to full day, five days a week real school, and they're thinking that 2 half days a week of preschool will be too much for this kid. Bizarre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:roll:
thenightowl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by thenightowl »

marshmallowfluf wrote:I love that she made sure to mention that the "pre-k" is very laid back and it doesn't matter if you are late, miss days etc. The pre-k that my son went to was just like regular school, 5 days a week, 7 hours a day. I don't see the point in having a preschool where you basically just drop in whenever you want?
I agree, I taught Preschool and it was 5 days a week. They are treating it more like daycare than a school (sure, it's better than nothing) but I don't see the point of just going 2 days, does Peyton go more days?
bcfryeof2
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by bcfryeof2 »

thenightowl wrote:
marshmallowfluf wrote:I love that she made sure to mention that the "pre-k" is very laid back and it doesn't matter if you are late, miss days etc. The pre-k that my son went to was just like regular school, 5 days a week, 7 hours a day. I don't see the point in having a preschool where you basically just drop in whenever you want?
I agree, I taught Preschool and it was 5 days a week. They are treating it more like daycare than a school (sure, it's better than nothing) but I don't see the point of just going 2 days, does Peyton go more days?
My son went 5 days a week and my daughter didn't go at all. The difference in their learning when they got to elementary school, was vastly different. I highly recommend pre school.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

bcfryeof2 wrote:
thenightowl wrote:
My son went 5 days a week and my daughter didn't go at all. The difference in their learning when they got to elementary school, was vastly different. I highly recommend pre school.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Two days a week is better than nothing, but there's no way he is going to be ready for kindergarten next year. I think for that to work on a 2 day schedule, they would need to be working with him quite a bit at home to supplement. I wonder if those two days are half or full days? I thought Missy said half at one point, but I can't remember.

Missy talked about the school making accommodations for him because he is in a special situation and she doesn't want him to be treated differently at school. Therein lies the problem - don't put my kid on a pedestal, just treat him just like any other student....but make sure you take note that he is in a "special situation" and you will need to accommodate that. Which way is it?

missmolly523
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by missmolly523 »

I registered for this site today after reading for the last year because I just can't with them anymore. Either they are just terrible liars or dumb.

Ollie's bday is in July. He will NOT qualify for TK (transitional kindergarten) next year. I have a son with a bday in August and he won't qualify either. TK is for kids who will turn 5 in September-December. If Ollie turns 5 in July he is absolutely able to start kindergarten in August unless THEY make the choice to hold him back. Like I said, my son will turn 5 in August and he will be able to start kindergarten that same month. I really don't care what they decide but I'm sick of them just making stuff up. TK is also a public school thing and isn't Ollie going to the same private school as Liv and Pey?
missmolly523
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by missmolly523 »

Also I just want to add that I also live in So Cal so the rules where I live are the same rules that apply to them.
cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... 386e9d.png[/img]

Five boxes of Oreos? Really?

I wonder if that bruise on Finn's head is a pool injury. He also had a tiny lego in his mouth in her Instastory...I always worry about that when they pull out those lego sets intended for older kids. They never seem to give those boys age-appropriate toys!

brownprincess93
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by brownprincess93 »

Did you notice when Bryan said he loves Ollie in the beginning he mouthed back I love you too.....okay so that is also staged for the vlog? How sad!! hahahah Peyton will be like Ollie's nanny - having to watch over him - I'm sure Natalia wishes she could put them in seperate classes so she could enjoy herself too! Missy's eyeshadow is horrible - looks like she has pink eye!! Poor Missy - she can't play her Lego set because she has kids that want to play too #LanningProblems so one thing I've noticed - when Missy rambles on she clearly is frustrated and doesn't know how to explain herself - if only she got out into the real world and met with people instead of being a cave woman all the time she could manage to have a conversation fluently!
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

brownprincess93 wrote:Did you notice when Bryan said he loves Ollie in the beginning he mouthed back I love you too.....okay so that is also staged for the vlog? How sad!! hahahah Peyton will be like Ollie's nanny - having to watch over him - I'm sure Natalia wishes she could put them in seperate classes so she could enjoy herself too! Missy's eyeshadow is horrible - looks like she has pink eye!! Poor Missy - she can't play her Lego set because she has kids that want to play too #LanningProblems so one thing I've noticed - when Missy rambles on she clearly is frustrated and doesn't know how to explain herself - if only she got out into the real world and met with people instead of being a cave woman all the time she could manage to have a conversation fluently!
If they hold Oliver back, then he and Payton won't be in school together past this year right?

My son had just turned 5 when he started FULL DAY Kindergarten. I agree that Oliver is going to fall behind his peers and is just going to stand out as the older kid. There is a boy with a Dec birthday in my son's class, and he's always stood out for technically being a year older than the their kids. His parents have started celebrating his birthday in January to make this less obvious.
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

My youngest sons birthday is in the middle of September. So he will always be the oldest in his class. I honestly think they are just setting themselves up to say "oh ollie isn't ready for kindergarten so he needs to be at home playing, because learning just isn't that important at 5 years old"
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
brownprincess93 wrote:Did you notice when Bryan said he loves Ollie in the beginning he mouthed back I love you too.....okay so that is also staged for the vlog? How sad!! hahahah Peyton will be like Ollie's nanny - having to watch over him - I'm sure Natalia wishes she could put them in seperate classes so she could enjoy herself too! Missy's eyeshadow is horrible - looks like she has pink eye!! Poor Missy - she can't play her Lego set because she has kids that want to play too #LanningProblems so one thing I've noticed - when Missy rambles on she clearly is frustrated and doesn't know how to explain herself - if only she got out into the real world and met with people instead of being a cave woman all the time she could manage to have a conversation fluently!
If they hold Oliver back, then he and Payton won't be in school together past this year right?

My son had just turned 5 when he started FULL DAY Kindergarten. I agree that Oliver is going to fall behind his peers and is just going to stand out as the older kid. There is a boy with a Dec birthday in my son's class, and he's always stood out for technically being a year older than the their kids. His parents have started celebrating his birthday in January to make this less obvious.
That was me all through school as well although my parents celebrated my birthday at the correct time and weren't ashamed. I have a September birthday and was always a year older than everyone else. It was never a bad thing really. People would ask if I got held back and I had to explain it to them. I always liked being the oldest in class. Both of my sons have November birthdays and I'm glad that they will be older when they go into kindergarten and hopefully have an easier time than some of their peers who might be almost a year younger than them.

There are many studies that say fall children tend to do much better in school than summer children who are the youngest in their class.

tml43
Informer
Informer

Unread post by tml43 »

onbreak wrote:They'll pull him once he can read. Teaching him to read is probably one of her biggest fears.

He's not going to learn to read anyway. Developmentally, kindergarten kids are just barely grasping concepts and can read very low level books, let alone a pre-k kid. They need to work on all his letters and phonemes first.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

tml43 wrote:
onbreak wrote:They'll pull him once he can read. Teaching him to read is probably one of her biggest fears.

He's not going to learn to read anyway. Developmentally, kindergarten kids are just barely grasping concepts and can read very low level books, let alone a pre-k kid. They need to work on all his letters and phonemes first.
I mean from any school in general. My kids knew how to read by 1st grade

cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

marshmallowfluf wrote:I honestly think they are just setting themselves up to say "oh ollie isn't ready for kindergarten so he needs to be at home playing, because learning just isn't that important at 5 years old"
Which is just so sad, because playing and learning can and should be the same thing! There are so many fun and creative ways to teach young children, and he would soak it right up at this age. If Missy got her act together, she could be making wonderful memories with those boys while still having having fun with them, and also getting Ollie ready for kindergarten at the same time. She loves Pinterest, and it's full of educational projects for children. They have all the time in the world to take him on trips to educational or hands-on places - and it would make for good vlog footage. He's a smart kid, there's no reason he couldn't be ready by next year. They are just lazy. Again, they have practically unlimited resources to do these things, and it's just wasted.

kates_crush
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kates_crush »

I was born in december, I started full time kindergarten when I was four, It never affected me. Some years I was the youngest, other years I wasn't, it actually made me feel good to know I was younger than most and still able to do just as well (and better) than them.

I honestly believe the age of the child has nothing to do with it, it comes down to the parents and what they've done to prepare the child thus far. I think preschool will be really good for ollie, he is stuck at the house ranch all day long only ever interacting a few days a month with cousins.
Viewingsince2010
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Viewingsince2010 »

Following

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
msrubeus
Informer
Informer

Unread post by msrubeus »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:

My son has a November birthday so will turn 5 just a couple months after starting prek I'm happy about this for sure. If his birthday fell a couple months sooner I would be concerned about him being behind his other classmates due to age. Missy's concern is valid. Summer birthday kids do tend to struggle in school.

If his birthday was a couple months sooner, wouldn't he be a couple months older when entering kindergarten, not younger? If he turns 5 in November he will be among the youngest children in the class. Counting forward to the 12th grade, that means he will be 17 when he graduates. So I can't make sense of why a summer birthday would be behind? Are they starting kids a year younger than they used to? Or is the cutoff September and not December?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

kates_crush wrote:I was born in december, I started full time kindergarten when I was four, It never affected me. Some years I was the youngest, other years I wasn't, it actually made me feel good to know I was younger than most and still able to do just as well (and better) than them.

I honestly believe the age of the child has nothing to do with it, it comes down to the parents and what they've done to prepare the child thus far. I think preschool will be really good for ollie, he is stuck at the house ranch all day long only ever interacting a few days a month with cousins.
I agree, it depends on the child and the parents. I was always one of the youngest in my class, and it worked out fine. I was 17 when I graduated...and still 17 when I started college. My parents debated for ages on whether to send me or wait.

Return to “Daily Bumps”