8 Passengers, 11 If We Can Find Our Pets | Part 5

natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers, 11 if we can find our pets. Part #5

Unread post by natalka81 »

ForeverGauc01 wrote:Their newest video was much more tolerable. Nothing was really staged, they were relaxed. I didn't mind them.
Shari was a little cringey with her locker and the way she acted around her friends and stuff but she's a teenager, it's too be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I agree. This felt more like the old videos, with a little more teenage attitude thrown in :) I did like the way Shari is still excited about school supplies and setting up her locker. She's not too cool to completely not care about school yet. I thought she had seemed so much less interested in academics, but maybe I was wrong. I hope she'll continue to do well at school, because I think she could certainly do post secondary education successfully.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

ForeverGauc01 wrote:
whatsbeyond wrote:Are schools in the states less strict about nut allergies? In Canada, my dd can't bring peanuts, almonds, she can't even bring almond milk to drink. Shari had cans of peanuts and a bag of mixed nuts.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
They must be? I'm in Canada as well and most schools now are totally nut free. When I was in school you had to eat your peanut butter in the hallway if you had a student with an allergy in the class. Now it's not even allowed on the property.
I hope they have different rules and Shari is not just ignoring them

I'm in Canada and one of my friends died from a nut allergy while I'm school (so I remember when they made it a law that all schools be nutfree, Ontario anyways) but it actually only applied to elementary schools. I remember switching high schools and seeing that all the vending machines had peanuts and I asked the principal and they said that high school prepares students for real world and that the real world isn't nut free blah blah

Deadhead_kay
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Deadhead_kay »

Also isn't Shari in high school? I feel like any school wide lunch band would loosen up as the kids got older and could be more responsible with allergies. I had friends constantly bringing peanut butter products to school, kind of wish we had the same rules considering the smell of it is nauseating lol

Just the opinion of an internet stranger. Don't take anything personally, for your own sake as well as mine.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

I'm in Canada too. I think it's generally more elementary schools that have the strict policies. By high school most will say 'be nut aware' or something like that, but they won't ban nuts altogether.
navarjul000
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by navarjul000 »

I grew up in Utah, like 20 minutes from where they live, and I think it's pretty safe to say public schools in Utah don't have rules against kids bringing nuts to school. I graduated a couple years ago so I feel like my memory is fairly recent, and I haven't heard of any rule changes through my mom, who has a kid in elementary and one in high school. That being said, they do steer clear of common allergy foods in school lunches.
Utah is pretty behind the national or even worldwide norms when it comes to just about anything, including allowing nuts at school.

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

In the US I've found that the nut ban depends on how big or small the school is. Bigger schools ban them while smaller schools don't. In my town, elementary schools are only allowed to have sunflower seed butter, but middle and high schools can have peanut butter.
Tiger27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Tiger27 »

I mean, we are talking about a PUBLIC school system that offers a seminary class. I chose to take an optional religions class in high school and it was very informative and eye opening...we covered more religions than I knew existed. One of the extra credit assignments was to attend a religious service outside of your own religion. I can't imagine Shari's school every offering such a class. I don't really care if it is optional or not, using school time to allow a religious organization to come in and teach a class based solely on that religion seems absurd and wrong to me. If it was a before or after school program that would be different. These poor kids have no chance of learning about anything different or outside of their little mormon bubble.
ohmygoshyouguys
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ohmygoshyouguys »

Tiger27 wrote:I mean, we are talking about a PUBLIC school system that offers a seminary class. I chose to take an optional religions class in high school and it was very informative and eye opening...we covered more religions than I knew existed. One of the extra credit assignments was to attend a religious service outside of your own religion. I can't imagine Shari's school every offering such a class. I don't really care if it is optional or not, using school time to allow a religious organization to come in and teach a class based solely on that religion seems absurd and wrong to me. If it was a before or after school program that would be different. These poor kids have no chance of learning about anything different or outside of their little mormon bubble.
The public school system doesn't offer the seminary class. On Shari's school schedule, one of the blocks will say "release time" where she is technically released to leave the school and walk over to a completely separate building for her seminary class. It is completely optional and once again NOT part of the public school system at all. In many areas, these classes are offered before school even starts.

Also, my kids school has a nut free area of the lunch room but that's it.
ujvs_
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ujvs_ »

It was nice to hear Ruby say she won't force any of her kids to do 'seminary'
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

Schools pretty much don't got nut free unless there's a child with a severe but allergy in the school. So if the schools are not free, they haven't had a child with a severe allergy yet.
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Boredomatitsfinest »

I just have to say, 14 year old Shari is like college aged me. Haha. I never had that kind of work ethic (redoing notes neatly and what not) until I was in college and actually took school seriously. I think it's pretty admirable of her. I really, really hope she keeps up with it and ends up going to college and doesn't get too wrapped up in the Utah/Mormon-go to beauty school-SAHM goals-get married at 18-bubble as she gets older.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Is their seminary before school? Because the one at my best friend's ward was at 6:30 am. I went because it was interesting, I enjoyed having spirited discussions with the leader, who despite not wanting my best friend to date black guys, was very nice. Anyway, if it is at 6:30am, I can understand Ruby saying she wasn't going to force the other kids to go.
My favorite was the argument about whether or not Jesus drank wine. I had fun bringing in facts from my Bible scholar father and seeing what their teacher came up with. I think it really bummed him out that I went to Seminary every day and he never managed to convert me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Boredomatitsfinest wrote:I just have to say, 14 year old Shari is like college aged me. Haha. I never had that kind of work ethic (redoing notes neatly and what not) until I was in college and actually took school seriously. I think it's pretty admirable of her. I really, really hope she keeps up with it and ends up going to college and doesn't get too wrapped up in the Utah/Mormon-go to beauty school-SAHM goals-get married at 18-bubble as she gets older.
But is rewriting notes actually going to help someone study (unless the original ones are completely unreadable)? There are methods of taking notes like Cornell notes - writing key points on one side of the paper, notes in the middle, and then a summary at the bottom - that would be more productive than than.
kaymaroff
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by kaymaroff »

I actually enjoyed their vlog today - it's the first one I've watched all the way through for months!

I hope Shari does well at school, and goes to college. She seems to have the right enthusiasm and brains to do well and not just marry young and have lots of kids! (Not saying that is always a bad choice!)

seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

kaymaroff wrote:I actually enjoyed their vlog today - it's the first one I've watched all the way through for months!

I hope Shari does well at school, and goes to college. She seems to have the right enthusiasm and brains to do well and not just marry young and have lots of kids! (Not saying that is always a bad choice!)

I agree, today Shari was finally acting like a high school freshman and the kid that she is. It's also really good that she is so serious about her education.
Lauralou_15
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Lauralou_15 »

fossilfinger wrote:
Boredomatitsfinest wrote:I just have to say, 14 year old Shari is like college aged me. Haha. I never had that kind of work ethic (redoing notes neatly and what not) until I was in college and actually took school seriously. I think it's pretty admirable of her. I really, really hope she keeps up with it and ends up going to college and doesn't get too wrapped up in the Utah/Mormon-go to beauty school-SAHM goals-get married at 18-bubble as she gets older.
But is rewriting notes actually going to help someone study (unless the original ones are completely unreadable)? There are methods of taking notes like Cornell notes - writing key points on one side of the paper, notes in the middle, and then a summary at the bottom - that would be more productive than than.
People learn differently, Shari did say that re writing then out neatly had refreshed her memory about the things she was writing down. I think the notes are for her to refer back to all year as well so it's probably more helpful to have them written out like they are so they can be easily referred back to.
foursisters
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by foursisters »

Does anyone know the name of the vlog where they first mention Chad going to a private school? Not a religious watcher and don't want to give them all these views sifting through the last month of vlogs to find it ;)
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

I'm a little surprised at all the food Shari is keeping in her locker. When I was in HS we were allowed to keep our lunch (if we didn't buy school lunch) and one small snack in our lockers that had to be gone by the end of the day. They did this to prevent ants and other bugs. But honestly, if their lunches are anything like the weak lunches coming from our public schools lately, I can't blame them for needing snacks.
eloise92
Talker
Talker

Unread post by eloise92 »

ujvs_ wrote:It was nice to hear Ruby say she won't force any of her kids to do 'seminary'
I'm fairly sure she meant 'optional' as in not a set class run by the school such as maths.
They are sending Chad to an LDS school where scripture is part of his timetable so I'm pretty sure all the kids will be expected to do seminary and later, missions!
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

eloise92 wrote:
ujvs_ wrote:It was nice to hear Ruby say she won't force any of her kids to do 'seminary'
I'm fairly sure she meant 'optional' as in not a set class run by the school such as maths.
They are sending Chad to an LDS school where scripture is part of his timetable so I'm pretty sure all the kids will be expected to do seminary and later, missions!
Is Chad's private school an LDS school?
I was hoping to be an actually really good school!

Return to “8 Passengers”