Hellohiyesitsme
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: OkOscarSleepsAllDay

Unread post by Hellohiyesitsme »

dnbunny wrote:
Hellohiyesitsme wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am proud of Kyra for taking the steps she needs to in order to have a backup plan for her family and for the overall betterment of herself, BUT I have serious doubts that she did any research about the degree before making such an expensive decision.

Psychology is SUCH a useless major. While it is interesting and many people feel that they can personally relate and benefit from the degree, the fact of the matter is just because you relate to it on a personal level does not mean that it will benefit you in any way, shape or form. The fact of the matter is that SO many high school graduates are choosing to get a psychology or sociology majors. Simply put, the reason why this is (and I know someone is bound to get offended by this), is because it's easy. Because it is so easy to get this undergraduate degree, you are very unlikely to find a job where you make good money or even a job related to your field at all due to the competitiveness of the various fields of psychology. Unless you have a masters degree, doctorate, or PhD, your chances of finding a job in the field of psychology where you make more than you would in retail or the food industry are slim to none. I have seen so many people struggle with finding a job and look at Jenna Marbles even... she has two degrees, one in psychology, and even she has said that it's pointless and she was unable to find a job. That's when she started putting all of her effort into YouTube and depending on it. It will certainly be a very long time until the money spent on school for a psychology degree is made back, if that ever happens. Kyra would be much better off finding a brick and mortar school, attending classes in person, and getting a worthwhile degree. Oscar is at home and they have an in home caretaker. There is no reason why she HAS to do online school. Even if she ultimately feels that online school is better, there are many online degrees that are way better and much more beneficial than a degree in psychology. A degree in health professions, biology, engineering, pretty much any STEM field, or even business would be much more beneficial and worth the time & money. She obviously has the funds to do this and it kills me that she's choosing this route because she will be the first one to complain about not being able to find a job. As a person finishing up their thesis for a bachelors degree in bioengineering, I have spent the past 4.5 years seeing SO many people waste money on pointless degrees and half of the time they don't even care because their decision is emotionally driven rather than based on their future and the potential that the degree holds. It is obvious Kyra has made the decision based on what she "can relate to" rather than what's good for her and her family if YouTube fails. I'm not saying you can't choose a degree you're interested in, but don't take the easy way out. I pushed myself and thought I would hate my decision but I LOVE it, not only because it's extremely interesting, but because I know that I have the potential to make a lot of money, especially after finishing grad school.
Ok well as a person in my second year of residency as an MD, I highly suggest you stop with the "degree" shaming. A degree is better than no degree, if you can't see the benefit this will have on Kyra's self-esteem or how it can transcend into a profoundly positive effect on other areas that need improving in her life, than I am sorry but your 'bioengineering' degree is completely lost on you.

At least now she will be able to look her kids in the eyes and encourage them to also take steps to further their education when the time comes. Not only that, but this may motivate her to continue on to a graduate level degree. Regardless, what would you have her do? Not go to school at all? Stay a statistic for teen pregnancy? A degree is better than no degree. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I respectfully disagree. Did you read my post? I said that a career in health medicine field is more beneficial, so it's good that you chose that route, and it will be good if Kyra goes on to get a doctorate, but the unfortunate reality is that many do not and end up switching degree plans and wasting money. Even at a doctorate level getting into the field of clinical psychology is rather difficult.

Do I think this will benefit her? Yes, I sure do! I even said I am proud. However, long term benefits to her would be much more beneficial such as the ability to apply the degree or find a well paying job. I do not wish for her to not go to school. Again, I am proud, but I do wish she would push herself more and look more into th options that are available since she has the means to do so.

My bioengineering degree will get me more places than an associates degree in psychology ever would, so tell me how stating that fact means that my worthwhile degree is "lost on me" will you?
Hellohiyesitsme
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Hellohiyesitsme »

ytmamaviewer24 wrote:
Hellohiyesitsme wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am proud of Kyra for taking the steps she needs to in order to have a backup plan for her family and for the overall betterment of herself, BUT I have serious doubts that she did any research about the degree before making such an expensive decision.

Psychology is SUCH a useless major. While it is interesting and many people feel that they can personally relate and benefit from the degree, the fact of the matter is just because you relate to it on a personal level does not mean that it will benefit you in any way, shape or form. The fact of the matter is that SO many high school graduates are choosing to get a psychology or sociology majors. Simply put, the reason why this is (and I know someone is bound to get offended by this), is because it's easy. Because it is so easy to get this undergraduate degree, you are very unlikely to find a job where you make good money or even a job related to your field at all due to the competitiveness of the various fields of psychology. Unless you have a masters degree, doctorate, or PhD, your chances of finding a job in the field of psychology where you make more than you would in retail or the food industry are slim to none. I have seen so many people struggle with finding a job and look at Jenna Marbles even... she has two degrees, one in psychology, and even she has said that it's pointless and she was unable to find a job. That's when she started putting all of her effort into YouTube and depending on it. It will certainly be a very long time until the money spent on school for a psychology degree is made back, if that ever happens. Kyra would be much better off finding a brick and mortar school, attending classes in person, and getting a worthwhile degree. Oscar is at home and they have an in home caretaker. There is no reason why she HAS to do online school. Even if she ultimately feels that online school is better, there are many online degrees that are way better and much more beneficial than a degree in psychology. A degree in health professions, biology, engineering, pretty much any STEM field, or even business would be much more beneficial and worth the time & money. She obviously has the funds to do this and it kills me that she's choosing this route because she will be the first one to complain about not being able to find a job. As a person finishing up their thesis for a bachelors degree in bioengineering, I have spent the past 4.5 years seeing SO many people waste money on pointless degrees and half of the time they don't even care because their decision is emotionally driven rather than based on their future and the potential that the degree holds. It is obvious Kyra has made the decision based on what she "can relate to" rather than what's good for her and her family if YouTube fails. I'm not saying you can't choose a degree you're interested in, but don't take the easy way out. I pushed myself and thought I would hate my decision but I LOVE it, not only because it's extremely interesting, but because I know that I have the potential to make a lot of money, especially after finishing grad school.
Well that's nice and all but that's just YOU.

I'd rather work on something I'm passionate about than waste years doing something that won't make me happy just for the money. Kyra is someone suffering from depression, how do you think that's gonna go for her if she ends up in a career that makes her miserable?
She's taking the right steps to give their children a better life and also be an example for them.

I swear, some people here will never be happy with the choices OK make.. she's in college now, but let's bash her for choosing the "wrong career"

You see, this could be seen more ways than one. No, having a miserable job will not do anything good for her depression, BUT neither will graduating after spending thousands of dollars on a degree that will get you nowhere unless you spend tens of thousands more. Sure, in a perfect world you can get a degree and a job in something and not care about the money, but this isn't a perfect world. I'm sure we would all prefer that if possible. However, the reality of nearly everyone's situation is that money does and should play a factor in the career decisions that they make. If money is a factor in Kyra's situation (which I'm assuming it is otherwise she wouldn't be spending thousands on school or even going to school period) then looking into ALL of her options and making a decision that will benefit her and her family in the long run would be the wise thing to do. I'm not saying all of this to be a bitch, even though I'm probably coming off that way. Whatever though. So many people come on here and complain about the most minute things, yet when I decide to say something about a decision that could negatively affect them YEARS down the road I'm the bad person? It is quite obvious that the majority of the people on this forum are very unaware of the applicability of certain college degrees in the real world, because nothing I've said is untrue.
jggedlttlepill_
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by jggedlttlepill_ »

TaraLas wrote:Didn't know you could enroll in college without a high school diploma? I'm super excited for her that she's potentially finishing high school but this is misleading.

Here where I live you can. You enroll as a mature student.
rbyrolg
Talker
Talker

Unread post by rbyrolg »

Hellohiyesitsme wrote:
dnbunny wrote:

Ok well as a person in my second year of residency as an MD, I highly suggest you stop with the "degree" shaming. A degree is better than no degree, if you can't see the benefit this will have on Kyra's self-esteem or how it can transcend into a profoundly positive effect on other areas that need improving in her life, than I am sorry but your 'bioengineering' degree is completely lost on you.

At least now she will be able to look her kids in the eyes and encourage them to also take steps to further their education when the time comes. Not only that, but this may motivate her to continue on to a graduate level degree. Regardless, what would you have her do? Not go to school at all? Stay a statistic for teen pregnancy? A degree is better than no degree. Sorry.

I respectfully disagree. Did you read my post? I said that a career in health medicine field is more beneficial, so it's good that you chose that route, and it will be good if Kyra goes on to get a doctorate, but the unfortunate reality is that many do not and end up switching degree plans and wasting money. Even at a doctorate level getting into the field of clinical psychology is rather difficult.

Do I think this will benefit her? Yes, I sure do! I even said I am proud. However, long term benefits to her would be much more beneficial such as the ability to apply the degree or find a well paying job. I do not wish for her to not go to school. Again, I am proud, but I do wish she would push herself more and look more into th options that are available since she has the means to do so.

My bioengineering degree will get me more places than an associates degree in psychology ever would, so tell me how stating that fact means that my worthwhile degree is "lost on me" will you?
This girl didn’t even graduate high school, what did you expect of her, engineering? Med school? Let’s be real, this is probably her best, it’s good she knows what she’s capable of and her limitations, and it’s good she’s finally doing something with her life.

My old roommate was a clinical psychologist working for the VA and making a lot of money. If Kyra feels passionate enough she probably won’t stop at a bachelors degree

ayeyae
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by ayeyae »

tankap26 wrote:
ayeyae wrote:So I don’t think anybody mentioned this (or I missed it) but a few videos back they had this play date with another family at home. It was awkward af. Who the hell are they? The dad looked exasperated about the vlogging. They didn’t really explain, or at least it wasn’t obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I remember in a previous vlog she mentioned her, I think she works at Starbucks and that's how they met.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
Oh ok. Well it’s nice she’s making friends. Perhaps she shouldn’t include them in the vlog, or better not get Oscar involved it felt like he was making the whole thing awkward for everyone.

ayeyae
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by ayeyae »

I think what you say is frankly offensive. There are no useless degrees (unless from those terrible fake online courses). There are no useless jobs and it’s arrogant of you to make such classifications. It’s not just about money or finding a job or even the prestigious aura of the degree. In this world everyone brings something to the table. And thankfully some of us do it out of passion rather than money because we care to be useful. Degrees are a foundation upon which to build your future.

Psychology graduates go on to become therapists, some go into social research, advertising, graphic design, etc. What matters is how you use your degree. Also not everyone is interested or capable of doing bioengineering.

I really dispute this idea that psychology or sociology are “easy”. Why do you assume so? These degrees require qualitative reading, critical thinking, grasping complex concepts, research ability, statistics, social understanding. Despite what you think lots of people aren’t able to do that.
It is the reason these graduates are able to branch out into unsuspected sectors because employers recognise these skills. I know of two recent philosophy graduates; one works for a high end luxury brand and works with the marketing and merchandising team. The other one with a masters for one of the biggest banks in the world is training to become a compliance officer. Their “useless” degrees got them there. These employers recognise that they bring something different, have useful skills and more importantly aren’t afraid of dealing with complexity. In fact they thrive in it. And this world is more and more complex.

Difficulty of a degree doesn’t mean anything and doesn’t translate into good pay. Let me tell you something, I’m studying architecture. Ask any architect, studying this is not for the faint of heart. I barely have a life outside school and it takes years. Everyone thinks it’s a prestigious degree that will make you rich. The reality? The pay sucks for most and pay progress is very limited. Most architects end up doing something different entirely or supplement with things that require less technical skills (realtor for example).

The general population thinks they can do without us and that we just cost too much. they think it’s an easy job because they too can do design because they know CAD and they saw a software that is called “build your own house” so how hard can it be. Then they spend years remodelling and never wonder if consulting an expert would have been better and cheaper in the first place. And then we’re collectively surprised the general quality of housing/design is so poor. Let me not even go into urban planning & design. Urbanists have it worse than architects. Yet the world needs us.

So this classification of yours is nonsense. Let’s just be glad Kyra is going to school. I had given up on the idea that she would. Let’s hope it’s her foundation into something great for her and her family.

poisonprincess
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by poisonprincess »

It's a costly venture sure, but I believe there is so many benefits to kyra continuing her studies.
The boost to her self esteem is great as is breaking up the day to day with different challenges and accomplishments.
Time discovering herself as a student again is so important for getting away from seeing herself as more than just a mother (which is a wonderful thing mind you!!)
Whether she uses her degree is unimportant.
Sure she may go on to work in the field
But even if she doesn't formally employ her skills, she will be able to use the knowledge to help her friends and family with issues that come up in life.

nebula
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by nebula »

Wow I didn't expect that to happen. I'm all for education even if it's online classes or whatever. Better that nothing. It's a huge step to enrich her life and get out of the "Oscar hole".

Στάλθηκε από το SM-A510F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
annapaulndaniel
Informer
Informer

Unread post by annapaulndaniel »

Yayyyy Kyra. She has changed so much what a legend!!

Psychology can lead to lots of different jobs, she is opening so many doors for herself! If she wants to be a psychologist she can continue studying or she can use her bachelor for something like social work. Or maybe YouTube will keep sailing along and she can use all her new knowledge and passion to help others through volunteering or even setting up a charity. There are so many options and the journey in itself will help her grow even more. She should be so proud of how she is taking charge of her own life
Highlighter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Highlighter »

Hellohiyesitsme wrote:
dnbunny wrote:

Do you want a fucking medal mate? You bioengineering degree doesn't make you anymore superior than someone with no degree. You sound like a stuck-up pain in the ass to be around. My God, get on with your own life and realise that the world doesn't need a million and one STEM grads.
snowflakecake
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by snowflakecake »

Hellohiyesitsme wrote:Psychology is SUCH a useless major.
Education is never useless. You need to get down from your high horse tbh.
nebula
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by nebula »

Psychology gives the opportunity of taking multiple useful directions after.
It's just the first step and it's a big one, who knows what is she gonna end up doing?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-A510F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
Pineapples
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Pineapples »

I think she should study whatever she is interested in. If it's psychology then good for her. But part of me wishes she was going to actual classes just to meet some more people. I think the online thing is probably so they can still travel etc and I do understand that part.

teddyandmommy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by teddyandmommy »

Do we know for sure that she didn't graduate? Or was it just speculation? Cause there is a school in my area that requires less credits to graduate so I graduated a year early after having my son. So maybe she transferred schools and automatically graduated? I don't know I always see stuff about how she never graduated but I've never seen a video about it. Just that one "graduation" video but I took it as she had already graduated so she wasn't allowed to walk with her class.
Ilovecats
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Ilovecats »

The reason she is doing online school is because school had already started when she wanted to enroll. And she has to do gen eds for a year or two. I'm sure shell have time to decide is psychology is what she really wants

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Ilovecats
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Ilovecats »

teddyandmommy wrote:Do we know for sure that she didn't graduate? Or was it just speculation? Cause there is a school in my area that requires less credits to graduate so I graduated a year early after having my son. So maybe she transferred schools and automatically graduated? I don't know I always see stuff about how she never graduated but I've never seen a video about it. Just that one "graduation" video but I took it as she had already graduated so she wasn't allowed to walk with her class.
I remember her saying something about it. That she was doing stuff she shouldn't have and dropped out

teddyandmommy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by teddyandmommy »

Ilovecats wrote:
teddyandmommy wrote:Do we know for sure that she didn't graduate? Or was it just speculation? Cause there is a school in my area that requires less credits to graduate so I graduated a year early after having my son. So maybe she transferred schools and automatically graduated? I don't know I always see stuff about how she never graduated but I've never seen a video about it. Just that one "graduation" video but I took it as she had already graduated so she wasn't allowed to walk with her class.
I remember her saying something about it. That she was doing stuff she shouldn't have and dropped out

Yep she posted on snapchat half an hour ago saying she was taking different courses to get her highschool credits :) my bad I just didn't want to assume lol
Dusty_Sidebar
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Dusty_Sidebar »

So pleased for Kyra and all the wonderful steps she has been making lately. It really seems that she is inspiring oscar too which is great :) (although i feel like he is really misguided wanting to invest in gold, i do worry in the future he may drag them down losing money by going in unprepared full throttle to things he has barely researched - i really hope this is not the case!)
I noticed when talking about the babysitter they said she would come mornings so they could edit, so i really hope he is turning over a new leaf from the editing late at night and getting some sort of editing routine in place. I do kind of wish kyra had enrolled in a physical school though, i think she would really benefit from the social component - they seem to have so few friends in Utah. Regardless community college is a great step and a good platform for her to go to places from.
Also to the commenter bashing pyschology degrees, i just graduated and know tons of psych graduates in a huge range of fields from social work to the business fields (Human Resources, Marketing, Managerial positions). Just because you study pysch does not mean you a limited to working in that field, it develops tons of really useful transferable skills and is actually a very desirable degree from that point of view!

Levi is fast becoming one of my favourite youtube kids (coming from someone who never understood what the fuss was about!). He is at such an adorable age and was beyond cute cooking with Oscar and carrying the shopping :love2:
soul_in_a_earthsuit
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by soul_in_a_earthsuit »

dnbunny wrote:

agreed! I did neurosci/psych degree and then went on to get a master's and now onto med school. Soooooo it can be done. My best friend is getting her masters in clinical psych and then going to law school for medical malpractice sooo it can deff be useful! and i mean kyra wants to be a SAHM, so the fact that shes getting any degree is better than none. Also, why would she pick a degree in something she has 0 interest in? Why would anyone? just bc you happened to force yourself to like your degree you initially hated doesnt mean everyone else can too
Chichi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Chichi »

So in the past weeks we see Kyra's growth in many positive ways and Oscar's decline.. His Lack of ambition, extreme dieting, excessive sleeping.. Overall doesn't look that happy.

Return to “OKBaby”