DailyBranding&Bitching (DailyBumps Part 95)

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: DailyBranding&Bitching (DailyBumps Part 95)

Unread post by lmmomSD »

cat9480 wrote:On the subject of following/watching if we hate them:

I don't think most people here actually follow, just check in occasionally. I don't even have a Twitter account - it's easy to check in even if you don't follow. And most people also don't hate them. I think a lot of us are former fans who are just shocked at how much they've changed and how crazy the whole situation is. I personally would love to see good things for them, the kids especially (they have no say in the whole mess). But, as it stands, I just think it's interesting to watch the whole mess - I think it's fascinating that they elicit such strong reactions from people, either OTT minions or people who cannot understand how these people can possibly be so popular. I think it says a lot about society and also about the younger generation that is obviously heavily influenced by YouTubers. It amazing that daily vlogging is even a "thing" - I love to check out vloggers I dislike just because I'm so fascinated with how they build and maintain an audience, and how influential they can be. And it's interesting to see what people will do for money. Grown adults are videoing a couple minutes of grocery shopping and laundry and making MILLIONS! It just blows my mind. And I guess I care about it all because THIS is the future. Kids think they will grow up to be famous, rich YouTubers who walk around with a camera all day and party 24/7. That is frightening. They are growing up thinking what they see is reality - no real jobs, presents every day, Disney trips, eating out, vacations, huge parties, fancy pools, bathtubs full of cereal...it's all so unrealistic. So yes, I follow some of these people that I don't care for because I'm interested in they impact the direction of our society.

And I know I'm giving them more views. But, I truly think they are on a downhill path and that the trainwreck is coming whether a couple "haters" watch or not. They are not making the big money on a couple people who watch as a guilty pleasure....it's the swarms of brainwashed little kiddie minions who don't know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. This is what I was trying to say. I find the whole thing fascinating. The "if you don't like them, don't watch" reasoning is what the minions say-- not saying anyone here is a minion. It's just so simplistic. There's other reasons to watch. The whole situation just amazes me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
lurkernomore
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by lurkernomore »

lmmomSD wrote: I don't actually "hate" them. And I only watch on adblocked devices. I am just amazed at the whole phenomenon of vlogging. It blows my mind to think that people want to watch other "normal" people go through their daily lives. I have no reason to think anyone would be interested in my Target runs and Starbucks. I don't understand the mentality or the adulation they get. The way people defend them and attack anyone who suggests that maybe they aren't perfect is nuts. So I guess I am interested in the psychology of all this.
Totally. To paraphrase Temple Grandin, it's almost like being "an anthropologist on Mars."

My life is very different from theirs for a lot of reasons: religion and marriage (or lack thereof), career, education, family planning, actually taking care of the pets I commit to ... and I can't remember the last time I was in a Target. I am also a really nosy person. If I'm going for a walk in the evening and your apartment lights are on and the curtains open? I can't not glance inside (I'm not a creeper who stands and stares, but I don't move through life in a blur looking at a phone or a camera like *some people*). If they're gonna put it all out there, I'm gonna watch.
lucycat732
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by lucycat732 »

I am shocked that the following two motivators aren't enough to make them want to get Ollie the help he needs: (1) being able to speak and communicate correctly will be essential to his "successful" child acting career...as it is that kid can barely parrot lines fed to him, and he shows little to no emotion; and (2) it could be a big ratings/view boost and play on people's sympathy ("TODDLER'S SCARY LEARNING DISABILITY REVEALED!!")...they could drag it out with click-baits about doctors visits, tests, improvement, etc.

Of course the best reason would be because you want your child to thrive. But if it doesn't bring fame or fortune, they're not about it.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

One thing that is ironic is that they say that they are "living life to the fullest". But they aren't. Everything is about good vlog footage and views. They spend all day walking around looking at themselves in the viewfinder instead of what is going on around them. They are on social media constantly, deleting, blocking, and responding to comments. They have to create this happy family image, but they aren't a happy family. It's really very sad. I have my struggles, but I wouldn't change places with them for all their money and "fame".

lurkernomore
Talker
Talker

I was thinking earlier about their constant lies about filming -- I can't think of the right word for it for some reason -- like where they'll attempt to milk two days' worth of vlogs out of one days' worth of footage. Why not just take a day off? I stopped watching the Johnsons a couple of months ago, but they used to take one day a week off and I thought that made a lot of sense.

Sidebar: I can't BELIEVE I forgot to post about this earlier. I had my very first Daily Bumps dream the other night. I don't remember much about it now, but Bryan was starting a gardening YT channel and I was helping him brainstorm ideas. I was most excited about doing a travel series to botanical gardens all over the world.

Do you want to hear the only thing more pathetic than the fact that I dreamed this channel? I would totally watch it, too. I loved watching Victory Garden on PBS when I was little and I love watching people geek out on their genuine interests now.
Jhcmarie

Unread post by Jhcmarie »

I had to make an account finally for the homework discussion.

My daughter has developmental delay. Ollie is SO similar to how she was. From the speech issues to the incorrect pencil grip.

The difference is that I got her the help she needed. She has been in speech and occupational therapy since before her third birthday. She has had an IEP at school since she was four years old and still has one. She went to special needs preschool and repeated kindergarten.

And guess what.. She's eight years old and in second grade in a general classroom. Testing now puts her at average-high in reading and above average in math compared to her regular ed classmates.

If I hadn't of done my job as a parent and had her evaluated and got her the help she needs, she'd be struggling so much. She'd be absolutely drowning at this point. But she's not, she's thriving.

So if the Bumps are reading this, suck up your pride. Speech therapy and occupational therapy literally never hurts a kid. It can only help to have him evaluated.
cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

lurkernomore wrote:I was thinking earlier about their constant lies about filming -- I can't think of the right word for it for some reason -- like where they'll attempt to milk two days' worth of vlogs out of one days' worth of footage. Why not just take a day off? I stopped watching the Johnsons a couple of months ago, but they used to take one day a week off and I thought that made a lot of sense.
I agree that this makes a lot of sense. IF they cared about being honest and genuine with their audience, and actually making good, interesting content. But, they don't. They know they can get away with filler content and ads and splitting footage between days. I mean, from their perspective, why not? They can do less work for equal or more pay. If the boss says you can take a day off each week and you still get the same salary...why not? In their minds, they *are* taking a day of each week (and even when they film, its minimal - but that is a whole other conversation!), and the little minions are still happy to watch whatever DB gives them each day.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

cat9480 wrote:
lurkernomore wrote:I was thinking earlier about their constant lies about filming -- I can't think of the right word for it for some reason -- like where they'll attempt to milk two days' worth of vlogs out of one days' worth of footage. Why not just take a day off? I stopped watching the Johnsons a couple of months ago, but they used to take one day a week off and I thought that made a lot of sense.
I agree that this makes a lot of sense. IF they cared about being honest and genuine with their audience, and actually making good, interesting content. But, they don't. They know they can get away with filler content and ads and splitting footage between days. I mean, from their perspective, why not? They can do less work for equal or more pay. If the boss says you can take a day off each week and you still get the same salary...why not? In their minds, they *are* taking a day of each week (and even when they film, its minimal - but that is a whole other conversation!), and the little minions are still happy to watch whatever DB gives them each day.
And yet they get defensive about their "art". Apparently, you _can_ have your cake and eat it too!

cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

queentee20 wrote:Ok I just found out Macy Gaines is 3! I legit thought she was 2 years older than Ollie.... wow ok now I for sure think Ollie is severely behind. I never believed you guys until right now. They have messed him up so badly
Yes! I was surprised she was that young, as well. I was thinking she turned 4 this year. You can definitely tell C&K spend time teaching her. However, I don't really think it's a fair comparison - all kids develop at different rates, and there are developmental differences between girls and boys. I do agree that Ollie is behind in some skills, or at least hitting the point where he will be behind if someone doesn't start working with him daily. But I wouldn't say he's severely behind. He speech is improving for sure - I think they need to be open to evaluation, but it may be that it is still within a normal range at this point. Most of his issues seem to be with parroting and pronunciation. Intellectually, he doesn't seem too far off - it's just a matter of someone breaking down syllables so he can grasp them and speak more clearly. He's a bright kid who hasn't had anyone to stimulate that part of his personality yet, so I think he will learn quickly if given the time and attention. But I definitely wouldn't say he's severely behind.

KaterTot
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by KaterTot »

I don't think most people here actually follow, just check in occasionally. I don't even have a Twitter account - it's easy to check in even if you don't follow. And most people also don't hate them. I think a lot of us are former fans who are just shocked at how much they've changed and how crazy the whole situation is. I personally would love to see good things for them, the kids especially (they have no say in the whole mess). But, as it stands, I just think it's interesting to watch the whole mess - I think it's fascinating that they elicit such strong reactions from people, either OTT minions or people who cannot understand how these people can possibly be so popular. I think it says a lot about society and also about the younger generation that is obviously heavily influenced by YouTubers. It amazing that daily vlogging is even a "thing" - I love to check out vloggers I dislike just because I'm so fascinated with how they build and maintain an audience, and how influential they can be. And it's interesting to see what people will do for money. Grown adults are videoing a couple minutes of grocery shopping and laundry and making MILLIONS! It just blows my mind. And I guess I care about it all because THIS is the future. Kids think they will grow up to be famous, rich YouTubers who walk around with a camera all day and party 24/7. That is frightening. They are growing up thinking what they see is reality - no real jobs, presents every day, Disney trips, eating out, vacations, huge parties, fancy pools, bathtubs full of cereal...it's all so unrealistic. So yes, I follow some of these people that I don't care for because I'm interested in they impact the direction of our society.

And I know I'm giving them more views. But, I truly think they are on a downhill path and that the trainwreck is coming whether a couple "haters" watch or not. They are not making the big money on a couple people who watch as a guilty pleasure....it's the swarms of brainwashed little kiddie minions who don't know any better.

You put it so perfectly. Thank you.

YouTube used to be the real reality show, when they started it was really real and not scripted and we have watched it evolve into what it is today

I have never completely gotten the argument about why do you watch them if you hate them. It sounds logical but it isn't a blanket statement for everyone. There are many reasons you would keep watching. Like above, we watched them before it all went to hell. I have dropped so many I used to watch and only watch a handful now on Ad block through Google Chrome. I do not subscribe to them and I don't hate any YouTuber. I am severely aggravated and concerned over some of the minor children but not in the way that I would ever call social services or do anything about it. I am a people watcher by nature. I just don't interfere in anyone's life.

This place gives us all a place to say what is on our mind with what all is going on. It is interesting to see different takes and most people are so nice and do not act condescendingly. I have had maybe 2 people act that way towards me and they went right on Foe. I have no need for drama in my life. My personal life is quite full of sadness at the moment. I escape through the internet and YouTube. I can then turn it off and go to bed. Used to, it took me away from my own problems for awhile. I won't say I am angry for the significant changes in how any of them vlog now, but it's kind of like a show you liked and now it's gotten boring and doesn't seem like the same show anymore but you keep watching and hoping it will improve like it used to be.

I don't follow any of them on social media of any kind anymore. The last I took off I forgot I had until they started posting a lot again and I went right and took them off. I don't even watch everyone every day. Some days I get my news just from here.
Last edited by KaterTot on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tintin15
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by tintin15 »

Okay, just caught up on everything and have a few things to say lol

Obviously every parent thinks their kid is the best kid. And that's okay. But they take it too far. Ollie needs HELP, even the little help with homework, and they won't give it to him because, to them, it means he's not their perfect, advanced, wonderful child. That's not the case at all. Some children just happen to struggle with things, and it is cruel of them to leave him hanging just to keep up the perfect image. That's not going to make him any more "perfect".

It's interesting how the only thing Bryan can really fire back with is, "HUR DUR YOU MUST B POOR!!! HERE HAVE MY MONEYS, IM LOADED". That's all he has going for him, isn't it? Money. That's a little empty.

I'm about to say something real harsh now, but bear with me.

Ollie's going to grow up stupid. He's not a stupid child by any means and I would never call a child stupid anyway, it's just that he's going to grow up knowing nothing. They're failing him so terribly. Their dislike for school (which is akin to freaking teenagers. Others have said it and I've said it before, they literally act like teenagers still. They never grew up) is easily going to rub off on Ollie, and they certainly won't force him to go or do his homework if he doesn't want to. The poor guy is going to know so little and it just makes me sad. He's not going to be a normal human being...he's grown up on Youtube, is decently spoiled, and his parents teach him nothing...there are going to be so many conversations in his future that he's going to be confused by because he'll have no idea what they're talking about. That's not normal.

If he does go to college (which I doubt he'll be encouraged to), he's not going to understand anything in class or anything his peers discuss. Ugh, I know I said it already, but it really makes me sad. I hate seeing kids failed like this...he should be encouraged to learn and grow so he can have every option in life, but instead he gets...Youtube. Or acting. Realistically, he gets to live in Missy and Bryan or Mimi and Papa's garage/basement.

It's just plain horrible of them to ignore Ollie's schooling like this. What do they have against education anyway? They made it big and didn't have to go to college, oh joy...that doesn't mean school is bad. Is it something left over from Missy's old religion?
tintin15
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by tintin15 »

queentee20 wrote:I don't think Ollie has any real issues. It's just that they don't really stimulate him or get him talking or correct his speech or just TRY to help him grow.. their laziness shows so much. I think he'd be like Macy if they did a better job with him. I don't see any developmental issues with him just intense lack of parenting
Yes, I think he needs help because of THEM, not because of himself. In my opinion, he would be fine if they actually taught him things and encouraged more learning, but they haven't. They hardly even spend proper time with him if it's not some cool thing for the vlog...

I think he's a perfectly normal child, ruined (for lack of a better word) by his parents.
cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

KaterTot wrote:

YouTube is like a reality show, but when they started it was really real and not scripted and we have watched it evolve into what it is today

I have never completely gotten the argument about why do you watch them if you hate them. It sounds logical but it isn't a blanket statement for everyone. There are many reasons you would keep watching. Like above, we watched them before it all went to hell. I have dropped so many I used to watch and only watch a handful now on Ad block through Google Chrome. I do not subscribe to them and I don't hate any YouTuber. I am severely aggravated and concerned over some of the minor children but not in the way that I would ever call social services or do anything about it. I am a people watcher by nature. I just don't interfere in anyone's life.

This place gives us all a place to say what is on our mind with what all is going on. It is interesting to see different takes and most people are so nice and do not act condescendingly. I have had maybe 2 people act that way towards me and they went right on Foe. I have no need for drama in my life. My personal life is quite full of sadness at the moment. I escape through the internet and YouTube. I can then turn it off and go to bed. Used to, it took me away from my own problems for awhile. I won't say I am angry for the significant changes in how any of them vlog now, but it's kind of like a show you liked and now it's gotten boring and doesn't seem like the same show anymore but you keep watching and hoping it will improve like it used to be.

I don't follow any of them on social media of any kind anymore. The last I took off I forgot I had until they started posting a lot again and I went right and took them off. I don't even watch everyone every day. Some days I get my news just from here.
You have many great points, too. I got into DB at a rough point in my life, and it was inspiring to see a couple who had hit a rough patch pick up and make a name for themselves on YouTube (or so they said). I wasn't a minion by any means, but they were entertaining and relatable and it was an escape from my own problems. But now that I've watched for years, I feel like they have been dishonest from the get go (more so now than when they first started, but the red flags have always been there). So, yes, I'm still interested in where they will go with all this, because I feel like they have deceived a lot of people who took a genuine interest in them. And they are setting lots of children up with terribly unrealistic expectorations.

I have never commented on their videos or social media, and I never plan to. (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my thing.) I'm not trying to start drama for them or provoke them, and they have every right to do their thing just as much as we have every right to disagree. So when minions start with the "hater, why do you watch?" stuff, I feel like that absolutely doesn't apply to me. In my opinion, there is a big difference between haters/trolls who set out to cause unnecessary drama and are flat-out mean, and former fans who feel deceived and chat about our frustrations away from any official DB pages.

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

The lyric video for Tribe is up.
My daughter's opinion? "This sounds like a Vacation Bible School song, Bryan would be good at writing those..." She hit the nail on the head. Lol
I still think about a cartoon, furry cute woodland creatures. They live in a tree and protect Keys.. (???? Wtf? What is the deal with Keys. It makes no sense. My daughter even asked "what Keys?") from monsters with their swords and shields.. just close your eyes and picture it.. lol
lurkernomore
Talker
Talker

Playsinrain wrote:The lyric video for Tribe is up.
My daughter's opinion? "This sounds like a Vacation Bible School song, Bryan would be good at writing those..." She hit the nail on the head. Lol
I still think about a cartoon, furry cute woodland creatures. They live in a tree and protect Keys.. (???? Wtf? What is the deal with Keys. It makes no sense. My daughter even asked "what Keys?") from monsters with their swords and shields.. just close your eyes and picture it.. lol
Goodness gracious. You know what, though? The song and all its lyrics are just awful, but I do like the chord progression for the lyrics "This is our tribe; this is our tree." The harmony is really nice, even if it is autotuned within an inch of being actual music.

AND ALSO - I JUST CANNOT WITH THE FACT THAT IT IS ACTUALLY CALLED "Ollie's War Chant." OMG NO. NO NO NO NO NO.
Last edited by lurkernomore on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

It's probably unfair to compare Ollie to Macey Gaines. Katie is literally a doctor, Katie's dad is also a doctor and I think her mom volunteers in elementary schools and Cullen's mom also works at a school. That stuff alone puts Gaines MILES ahead of Ollie (money and strong educational background really DO make a difference). Missy and Bryan grew up fairly poor and in a small Idaho town - and i highly doubt the idea of college even crossed their minds (especially Missy).

I really think M&B need to change their own mindset regarding education if Ollie is going to excel in school.
DidEyeSayIt
Talker
Talker

Unread post by DidEyeSayIt »

cat9480 wrote:
KaterTot wrote:

YouTube is like a reality show, but when they started it was really real and not scripted and we have watched it evolve into what it is today

You have many great points, too. I got into DB at a rough point in my life, and it was inspiring to see a couple who had hit a rough patch pick up and make a name for themselves on YouTube (or so they said). I wasn't a minion by any means, but they were entertaining and relatable and it was an escape from my own problems. But now that I've watched for years, I feel like they have been dishonest from the get go (more so now than when they first started, but the red flags have always been there). So, yes, I'm still interested in where they will go with all this, because I feel like they have deceived a lot of people who took a genuine interest in them. And they are setting lots of children up with terribly unrealistic expectorations.

I have never commented on their videos or social media, and I never plan to. (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my thing.) I'm not trying to start drama for them or provoke them, and they have every right to do their thing just as much as we have every right to disagree. So when minions start with the "hater, why do you watch?" stuff, I feel like that absolutely doesn't apply to me. In my opinion, there is a big difference between haters/trolls who set out to cause unnecessary drama and are flat-out mean, and former fans who feel deceived and chat about our frustrations away from any official DB pages.

I agree. I like it here because it's a place to chat about them away from their own social media. I don't think going on their social media and insulting their parenting or their children does anybody any good. It's not like people who comment things are REALLY trying to help Missy or Bryan. They are just trying to start something with them. Maybe it's their thing but it's not mine. I also can't stand the kids who worship them either. It's creepy and seems very unhealthy.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Playsinrain wrote:The lyric video for Tribe is up.
Perfect!
I tried once or twice to comment on their vlogs. And Ellie and Jared's. I usually don't comment on their social media. I don't know why I did today-- it just annoyed me that he was acting like such a child and refusing to address the issue. I gave up on commenting on the vlogs because anything I said, if it wasn't "Who thinks Ollie is the cutest kid?" Or "Like if you think Bryan and Missy are parenting GOALZZZ!", I got swarmed by minions swearing at me. And I wasn't rude. At all.
I do think Ollie is delayed. But I don't think it's because he can't learn or has a disability. I think it's for the reasons already stated-- that his parents have failed him. And it makes me so sad. And maybe I am wrong, but it seems like the only reason they want him to do well at all is because it will make them look good. They don't care about what is best for him. They just care about good vlog footage and ease of life for themselves. Because kids need discipline, routines, vegetables, things that may not be "fun", but sure are important.

onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

I think they are shitty parents. Todays vlog set that in stone.. How can you be on the verge of proud parent happiness tears when your 4 year old has a "gorilla grip" on his pencil. They both dont get it. They are old enough to know better and SHOW better.
Just think of all the people kissing their ass in the comments.. Thats what's wrong with the world.
I think there's trouble in lanningdise .. Why else is he in a twitter war with women?? They said themselves they ignore criticism daily. He could have threw a wad of cash at corbin to block her.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
ferriswheel
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ferriswheel »

For whatever reason "protect the keys" make me think of My Little Pony, I agree it sounds like a contemporary christian song.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Peace, Love and Animal Crackers

Return to “Daily Bumps”