Steps to Whining: The Art of Entitlement

ButterflyB
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Whining: The Art of Entitlement

Unread post by ButterflyB »

I agree..they are a train wreck and annoying to watch as they bitch and moan 24/7 but it is sooo worth watching just for June! She is freaking adorable! [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

It sounds like they're getting a taste of what it's like to be in a single family home rather than an apartment complex. It kind of sounds like the rental from hell. They can still just call their landlord, but they don't know how quick and responsive that person is going to be. If one or two of those things happened, I would probably brush it off because these things happen. But to have a broken garbage disposal that's affection your dishwasher, a broken garage door, a broken laundry hook-up, and a bathtub that doesn't drain all at once would be very inconvenient. I wonder how long this property had been vacant.

Why did Hello Fresh have so many vloggers run their sponsored content all at once? They're all reading the same script. You'd think it would make more sense to space them out and at least write different copy, or let people ad lib so it doesn't seem so gimmicky. Oh Lord, Kelsey feels like "such a chef" in the kitchen now. This is the woman who tried to peel potatoes after she boiled them the other day. And now they care about "nutritionally balanced meals." I'm sorry, but weren't they living off of junk food from the food trucks every day?

Do Kelsey and Missy get their hair cut and colored once every month? These two go to the salon more than anyone else I know.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:Do Kelsey and Missy get their hair cut and colored once every month? These two go to the salon more than anyone else I know.
I think just this week alone they had a spa day, then got their nails done another day and got their hair done yesterday. Plus, they're going to the gym a lot (or so Missy says....). Is Missy paying for ALL of this for Kelsey???? Spa day treatments, mani/pedis and getting hair done can EASILY exceed $1000! C&K certainly don't have that much $$$$ to blow on stuff like that!! It seems like they can barely afford this move!

I guess this is Kelsey's YT "glow up" and Missy is treating her to all her own high-end luxuries. It's CRAZY how much C&K have changed in just a year.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HashtagBlessed wrote:It sounds like they're getting a taste of what it's like to be in a single family home rather than an apartment complex. It kind of sounds like the rental from hell. They can still just call their landlord, but they don't know how quick and responsive that person is going to be. If one or two of those things happened, I would probably brush it off because these things happen. But to have a broken garbage disposal that's affection your dishwasher, a broken garage door, a broken laundry hook-up, and a bathtub that doesn't drain all at once would be very inconvenient. I wonder how long this property had been vacant.

Why did Hello Fresh have so many vloggers run their sponsored content all at once? They're all reading the same script. You'd think it would make more sense to space them out and at least write different copy, or let people ad lib so it doesn't seem so gimmicky. Oh Lord, Kelsey feels like "such a chef" in the kitchen now. This is the woman who tried to peel potatoes after she boiled them the other day. And now they care about "nutritionally balanced meals." I'm sorry, but weren't they living off of junk food from the food trucks every day?

Do Kelsey and Missy get their hair cut and colored once every month? These two go to the salon more than anyone else I know.
A lot of sponsors do that. It's really obnoxious, and it goes in cycles. One week, everyone will do Hello Fresh. And then Best Fiend, and Blue Apron, and whatever comes next. It really points out that they are ads! I mean, I know they're supposed to say that the vlog is sponsored, but it loses all credibility when every vlogger you're watching does the same ad in the course of a week.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
MandyJ
Informer
Informer

Unread post by MandyJ »

queentee20 wrote:Weird random comment but I HATE that they call her June bug because my cousin's drug dealer boyfriend is called June bug & he's a rough looking face tatooted gang banging kind of guy. So when they call her June bug I think of him. I always thought it was a "ghetto" name
It's a pretty common pet name for babies named June or who were born in June.

luci417
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by luci417 »

MandyJ wrote:
queentee20 wrote:Weird random comment but I HATE that they call her June bug because my cousin's drug dealer boyfriend is called June bug & he's a rough looking face tatooted gang banging kind of guy. So when they call her June bug I think of him. I always thought it was a "ghetto" name
It's a pretty common pet name for babies named June or who were born in June.

Yeah I think it's WAY weirder for a grown man to be called June Bug than a baby girl who goes by June at lot of the time.
"This is the most ghetto shit I've ever seen in my life."
Rihanna
ja14
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ja14 »

queentee20 wrote:I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying I hate it because I always think of him xD .... I believe over here June Bug has a different meaning & it's not at all an adorable baby girl nickname... it's like gang related
I know of a ghetto June bug too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
runnerduck
Informer
Informer

Unread post by runnerduck »

I think it's so strange that you all think Corbin is the one who resents the move & Kelsey is all for it.

I have gotten the totally opposite perspective. I started watching from the very beginning and it always seems like Kelsey is more about the adventures than Corbin. Like she has to drag him along.

I feel like the move was encouraged by Corbin & Kelsey is struggling with it. Corbin seems like the one who would be all about a mansion and expensive furniture.

I also can't believe they actually decided to be BM's puppets. Its going to ruin their friendship just like it has for every other paid friend aka assistant.

Do we have bets on how long it lasts? Jeff was FAMILY & clearly something happened with him. I'm giving it 6 months.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

queentee20 wrote: Also, I doubt Kelsey wanted to go to CA to be a lackey for M&B. Yes I know Missy spoils her, and she must love that but I don't think being spoiled is enough for her to be IN LOVE with a decision that she had basically NO say in. If we're being honest it seems that Corbin dragged Kelsey to CA so he could work for Bryan since Corbin is too Fucking lazy to get a REAL job. I bet if it were up to Kelsey she'd rather have him working a real job where she wasn't forced to move across country just so her husband can purse a lazy ass job.
I completely agree that Corbin is too lazy to get a job, but so is Kelsey! Her sole purpose in life is to mooch off other people. Just because she's a mom now doesn't absolve her of financial culpability to her family. Corbin is the driving force behind the channel and even though he's doing the laziest job possible, he at least is the one who allows them to actually make money through some venue. Kelsey has done nothing to generate income. If she were concerned about their finances and had wanted to make Portland work, nothing was preventing her from going out and getting a job herself.

I don't think these two have actually changed at all over the last year or so. I think underneath the facade they were always who they are now, but money allowed this side of them to really come out. Despite trying to come off as progressive Portlanders, they actually have the same values as the DBs. They have a '50s mentality about women's and men's roles in the household.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

fossilfinger wrote:
queentee20 wrote: Also, I doubt Kelsey wanted to go to CA to be a lackey for M&B. Yes I know Missy spoils her, and she must love that but I don't think being spoiled is enough for her to be IN LOVE with a decision that she had basically NO say in. If we're being honest it seems that Corbin dragged Kelsey to CA so he could work for Bryan since Corbin is too Fucking lazy to get a REAL job. I bet if it were up to Kelsey she'd rather have him working a real job where she wasn't forced to move across country just so her husband can purse a lazy ass job.
I completely agree that Corbin is too lazy to get a job, but so is Kelsey! Her sole purpose in life is to mooch off other people. Just because she's a mom now doesn't absolve her of financial culpability to her family. Corbin is the driving force behind the channel and even though he's doing the laziest job possible, he at least is the one who allows them to actually make money through some venue. Kelsey has done nothing to generate income. If she were concerned about their finances and had wanted to make Portland work, nothing was preventing her from going out and getting a job herself.

I don't think these two have actually changed at all over the last year or so. I think underneath the facade they were always who they are now, but money allowed this side of them to really come out. Despite trying to come off as progressive Portlanders, they actually have the same values as the DBs. They have a '50s mentality about women's and men's roles in the household.
I agree 100%. Has Kelsey ever had a job except being a nanny? Not knocking being a nanny. I know it's hard work. But it's the only job she ever had, right? She could get a job if she wanted to. Corbin could be a stay at home Papa. They're both lazy AF.
They see the money Bryan and Missy have, and they want it too. And if the price is sucking up to B&M, they seem willing to pay it.
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

This is my theory on the move. I really believe that Missy has been subsiding them for some time, first with cash on the van trip (which we know for a fact) and then perhaps with Amazon money. They were spending like they were quite comfortable back in Portland, even after Corbin quite his job and their views were hovering around 50K or less a day. I won’t rehash all of it, but everything we know about their situation doesn’t add up to two adults who can support themselves and a child in the city. The Lannings were probably giving them money one way or another. I think Bryan put his foot down and said that if they were going to continue to send money, Corbin needed to actually work for it. And thus, the move to California. I think that if their channel had taken off on its own merit and they were making the big bucks, I doubt they would have left Portland.

I think the move was a mutual decision. Clearly neither one put their foot down and refused. But I do think Kelsey is more gung-ho about it.

I think Corbin went to look at the rental properties because he alone makes the final decisions in that relationship. Kelsey has some input, but I think he has the final veto power. So naturally he was going to tour the rentals and decide which one they would apply for. He never appeared to get exited or like any of them, while Kelsey seemed quite enthusiastic about several properties. This leads me to believe she was more in favor of this lifestyle change. Corbin was adamant against a single-family rental in Portland when they first moved there, and he’s the one who kept talking about how their apartment was near bars and restaurants.

I think Kelsey is excited to live near Missy and have a “mom friend” and playmates for June. Corbin is the one who must pay the price by working for Bryan.

I don’t think either one of them had what it takes to function in a city for various reasons. Kelsey seemed genuinely exited with the home and I think she's more of the mindset that this home is good for the time being. I think Corbin tends to see himself as better than those around him, and more deserving of the finer things in life without actually having to work for it. He clearly thinks he's very special. Granted, Kelsey has zero work ethic as well and still feels entitled to things like her "dream car," a single family home, expensive new furniture, etc. I think at times she comes off as slightly more humble and slightly more content with a simpler existence, but as soon as they get a little spending money she is easily caught up in the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality and all of the frivolous spending . They really are the perfect example of a couple that enables one another and brings out the worst in each other.
luci417
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by luci417 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:This is my theory on the move. I really believe that Missy has been subsiding them for some time, first with cash on the van trip (which we know for a fact) and then perhaps with Amazon money. They were spending like they were quite comfortable back in Portland, even after Corbin quite his job and their views were hovering around 50K or less a day. I won’t rehash all of it, but everything we know about their situation doesn’t add up to two adults who can support themselves and a child in the city. The Lannings were probably giving them money one way or another. I think Bryan put his foot down and said that if they were going to continue to send money, Corbin needed to actually work for it. And thus, the move to California. I think that if their channel had taken off on its own merit and they were making the big bucks, I doubt they would have left Portland.
I agree with everything you said, but I think the DBs thing was probably kind of 'an offer they couldn't refuse' type situation. B and M were willing to fund them but Bryan has a short temper. I don't think it was an ultimatum but I DO I think they probably said something like 'Hey why not come down to California to live for a while? It'll be so good for your channel and we can set you up with a job!' and it became pretty clear they couldn't say no and expect to ever receive money again. There's no way they could get by without their benefactors so they went.
"This is the most ghetto shit I've ever seen in my life."
Rihanna
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

YouTubers who have talent management don't have as much agency over their content as we're led to think. This move was a business decision that most likely involved multiple people besides Corbin, Kelsey, Bryan, and Missy. I'm sure they were told from many different sides that moving to Southern California was absolutely necessary to maximize their viewership, and probably had many carrots dangled in front of them regarding new sponsors and branding opportunities. We don't watch people just living their lives; we watch carefully calculated business moves.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

fossilfinger wrote:YouTubers who have talent management don't have as much agency over their content as we're led to think. This move was a business decision that most likely involved multiple people besides Corbin, Kelsey, Bryan, and Missy. I'm sure they were told from many different sides that moving to Southern California was absolutely necessary to maximize their viewership, and probably had many carrots dangled in front of them regarding new sponsors and branding opportunities. We don't watch people just living their lives; we watch carefully calculated business moves.
There is a lot of truth to this!!! Fullscreen probably wanted them to start making more $$$. Baby League probably wouldn't have given them a "second season." Plus, being close to M&B obviously means more sponsorships and exposure.

The one thing I've noticed is that they still haven't hit 200K subs. Maybe the DB's audience really doesn't like them??? I totally thought they would have hit 200K around the time they moved...guess not. Corbin is 10000% unlikeable, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

They weren't "cool" before they had June. Why would they be now?

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

WTH??! They met up with M&B at the Temecula Farmer's Market, but they never showed them on camera or mentioned them being there? They also had lunch with them (WITH margaritas) and didn't film that either. I wonder what's up with that!!???!!? Do M&B ask them not to film them?

SO WEIRD!!!!!
MandyJ
Informer
Informer

Unread post by MandyJ »

ewokfan11 wrote:
fossilfinger wrote:YouTubers who have talent management don't have as much agency over their content as we're led to think. This move was a business decision that most likely involved multiple people besides Corbin, Kelsey, Bryan, and Missy. I'm sure they were told from many different sides that moving to Southern California was absolutely necessary to maximize their viewership, and probably had many carrots dangled in front of them regarding new sponsors and branding opportunities. We don't watch people just living their lives; we watch carefully calculated business moves.
There is a lot of truth to this!!! Fullscreen probably wanted them to start making more $$$. Baby League probably wouldn't have given them a "second season." Plus, being close to M&B obviously means more sponsorships and exposure.

The one thing I've noticed is that they still haven't hit 200K subs. Maybe the DB's audience really doesn't like them??? I totally thought they would have hit 200K around the time they moved...guess not. Corbin is 10000% unlikeable, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.
It's because Corbin is just that unwatchable and Kelsey isn't much better. Other than the house tour, I literally haven't watched them in months because I can't freaking stand them.

Chichi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Chichi »

"Talent Management" is an interesting concept in YouTube. Curious what kinds of talents Corbin and Kelsey have, that an outsider could nurture and develop? Also not sure what handy ideas they could impart to young first time parents...
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

luci417 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:This is my theory on the move. I really believe that Missy has been subsiding them for some time, first with cash on the van trip (which we know for a fact) and then perhaps with Amazon money. They were spending like they were quite comfortable back in Portland, even after Corbin quite his job and their views were hovering around 50K or less a day. I won’t rehash all of it, but everything we know about their situation doesn’t add up to two adults who can support themselves and a child in the city. The Lannings were probably giving them money one way or another. I think Bryan put his foot down and said that if they were going to continue to send money, Corbin needed to actually work for it. And thus, the move to California. I think that if their channel had taken off on its own merit and they were making the big bucks, I doubt they would have left Portland.
I agree with everything you said, but I think the DBs thing was probably kind of 'an offer they couldn't refuse' type situation. B and M were willing to fund them but Bryan has a short temper. I don't think it was an ultimatum but I DO I think they probably said something like 'Hey why not come down to California to live for a while? It'll be so good for your channel and we can set you up with a job!' and it became pretty clear they couldn't say no and expect to ever receive money again. There's no way they could get by without their benefactors so they went.
Oh yeah, I agree that Bryan didn't give Kelsey and Corbin an ultimatum. I think he gave Missy an ultimatum. I think he continued to be friendly, but in private he was telling Missy that Corbin needed to work for the money they were giving him, and then left it up to Missy to deliver the message in a way that would preserve the friendship. I agree that Kelsey and Corbin probably got the message that the free ride was over and they couldn't refuse the job and still expect to receive financial support.

I don't know what role Fullscreen had in their move, I'm sure they could have encouraged it or recommended it, but I doubt they demanded it. From everything I've heard, networks aren't all that involved or helpful for smaller channels. Fullscreen must manage tens of thousands of channels, and I'm willing to bet they only really cater to the very large players. Everyone else is just getting suckered into handing over 30% of their revenue in exchange for very little. I think Steps to Wander was too small to get any real support or branding advice. I'm sure Daily Bumps was able to get them some preferential treatment once they were back with Fullscreen again, but I doubt they were getting any serious or thoughtful business advice from Fullscreen. There are plenty of other YouTubers who do well for themselves without being driving distance to LA. I think the Daily Bumps money was the main draw, and the bigger sponsorships would follow once their views and subscribers count went up.

It's is interesting that they spend *everyday* with the Lannings but don't always include each other in the vlogs. I really can't fathom spending every day meeting up with the same couple. That friendship is going to go south quickly for one reason or another.
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

HashtagBlessed wrote: I really can't fathom spending every day meeting up with the same couple. That friendship is going to go south quickly for one reason or another.
Yep, you're on the money with this. Look what happened to the Johnson's - and they're actually family!

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”