C&K: Drink a little drink. Smoke a little smoke. Part 13

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: C&K: Drink a little drink. Smoke a little smoke. Part 13

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I guess I don't understand having a magician either, except that it's a bit more interactive than just sitting there watching someone dressed as a princess sing. I just think it's a bit much for a three year old. She would have been fine with just a few friends and her cousins. And I don't understand having two parties either. That seems to be a vlogger thing. They have a party with the family on the actual birthday, then a big blowout with lots of people on the weekend. It's nuts, especially for the little ones. What's going to happen when she gets older? Bigger and bigger every year?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
100midas
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by 100midas »

lmmomSD wrote:I guess I don't understand having a magician either, except that it's a bit more interactive than just sitting there watching someone dressed as a princess sing. I just think it's a bit much for a three year old. She would have been fine with just a few friends and her cousins. And I don't understand having two parties either. That seems to be a vlogger thing. They have a party with the family on the actual birthday, then a big blowout with lots of people on the weekend. It's nuts, especially for the little ones. What's going to happen when she gets older? Bigger and bigger every year?

I don't think that's abnormal, either. I always had a family party on my actual birthday and then a "big" themed party on the weekend with a bunch of my friends as a kid. It's just an individual family thing, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
madi_b_123
Informer
Informer

Unread post by madi_b_123 »

100midas wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:I guess I don't understand having a magician either, except that it's a bit more interactive than just sitting there watching someone dressed as a princess sing. I just think it's a bit much for a three year old. She would have been fine with just a few friends and her cousins. And I don't understand having two parties either. That seems to be a vlogger thing. They have a party with the family on the actual birthday, then a big blowout with lots of people on the weekend. It's nuts, especially for the little ones. What's going to happen when she gets older? Bigger and bigger every year?

I don't think that's abnormal, either. I always had a family party on my actual birthday and then a "big" themed party on the weekend with a bunch of my friends as a kid. It's just an individual family thing, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe it's a southern thing? I've always had a family "party" on my actual birthday. We went out to eat with all my cousins, aunts, and uncles and then went back to my grandma's for cake and ice cream. Then the following weekend, usually, I would have a birthday party with my friends from school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

I completely think that their parties are appropriate and pretty much what I do for my kids! Party with family the day of and a friend bash on the weekend of. Totally normal!
ladymama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ladymama »

I have no judgment against their party/birthday celebrations.

My kids are 5 and 9 months, and on their actual birthdays they will have mommy and daddy time, while sibling goes to grandma&grandads. We have fun as a family of 4 all the time- doing things without their sibling is necessary. You shouldn't have to fight for attention on your birthday!

Their birthdays are 2 weeks apart, so they are having a joint family birthday party and my oldest is having a separate party for school friends. But their actual birthDAYs are just them :)

Party how you want to party :) we all do it differently for our own reasons.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
ladymama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

On a side note, does anyone else cringe at the tone of MGs voice, or am I just an asshole? It has always bothered me and I just recently realized that Katie talks that way sometimes. A strange low raspy tone that doesn't sound like her natural voice.

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

ladymama wrote:On a side note, does anyone else cringe at the tone of MGs voice, or am I just an asshole? It has always bothered me and I just recently realized that Katie talks that way sometimes. A strange low raspy tone that doesn't sound like her natural voice.

I love her voice, especially the little southern accent, but I totally get what you're saying. I feel the same way about Russell from 8 Passengers.
beautynoob
Talker
Talker

Unread post by beautynoob »

I don’t mind the parties, I think it s pretty common around here to have the family day and then big party combo. What I find ridiculous though is for two stay at home parents to complain about how hard and stressful planning said party is.... most people do so while handling commutes plus full time jobs... I feel like they are so out of touch with reality at times

workfromhomemom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by workfromhomemom »

I don't think the party sounded over board at all. It's focused on Gaines and it sounds like she invited some friends from school, cousins, and family friends. Its at their house and with a nice sized home they can accommodate a lot of people.
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

By today's standards the party seemed like a typical Pinterest inspired birthday. In my opinion, a little over the top for a 3 year old. Who really invites 24+ kids to a 3 year old's party? I'm curious to know how much they spent on a few hours. Even just know what they spent on that cake, which definitely is fancier than the cake my husband and I cut at our wedding. (Admittedly we chose to spend $$ elsewhere... like the bar and photographer.)

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

askeptichere wrote:By today's standards the party seemed like a typical Pinterest inspired birthday. In my opinion, a little over the top for a 3 year old. Who really invites 24+ kids to a 3 year old's party? I'm curious to know how much they spent on a few hours. Even just know what they spent on that cake, which definitely is fancier than the cake my husband and I cut at our wedding. (Admittedly we chose to spend $$ elsewhere... like the bar and photographer.)

Thank you. If this is "normal" for a preschooler, I don't want to be around for her Sweet Sixteen. I was beginning to feel like a grouchy old lady with everyone saying "oh, this looks normal to me!"
I'm just glad my kids grew up before Pinterest. I _enjoyed_ planning my kids' parties and making their cakes. And I didn't just put grapes on a skewer. I made fruit kebobs with strawberries and melons. (The kids gobbled them up, even before the candy!) Anyway, maybe it doesn't seem OTT until you think about the fact that she's _3_.
My guideline is, if a children's birthday party is stressing you out that much, maybe it is OTT. Especially for two stay at home parents.

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:
askeptichere wrote:By today's standards the party seemed like a typical Pinterest inspired birthday. In my opinion, a little over the top for a 3 year old. Who really invites 24+ kids to a 3 year old's party? I'm curious to know how much they spent on a few hours. Even just know what they spent on that cake, which definitely is fancier than the cake my husband and I cut at our wedding. (Admittedly we chose to spend $$ elsewhere... like the bar and photographer.)

Thank you. If this is "normal" for a preschooler, I don't want to be around for her Sweet Sixteen. I was beginning to feel like a grouchy old lady with everyone saying "oh, this looks normal to me!"
I'm just glad my kids grew up before Pinterest. I _enjoyed_ planning my kids' parties and making their cakes. And I didn't just put grapes on a skewer. I made fruit kebobs with strawberries and melons. (The kids gobbled them up, even before the candy!) Anyway, maybe it doesn't seem OTT until you think about the fact that she's _3_.
My guideline is, if a children's birthday party is stressing you out that much, maybe it is OTT. Especially for two stay at home parents.

My kids are 5 and a few weeks younger than Gaines. It is so tempting to want to do all that decorating and party planning for their birthdays because Pinterest has some awesome ideas and themes, and I love party planning. BUT I also am not willing to spend $100 on decor, $100 on a cake, $100 on a princess, etc.

I always thought the "rule" was you invite only as many friends as years old the child is. So Gaines could have invited 3 friends and that would have been plenty. Then she'd also have all her cousins and other family members there. More than enough and way less stressful. Idk. To each their own I guess.

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

We talked about that "rule" somewhere here before, not sure if it was this thread or somewhere else. The general consensus seemed to be that nobody else had ever heard of that rule. I'd definitely never go by it. I think it's pretty stupid to be honest. As a parent you should be able to decide how many friends you can handle at your child's birthday.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Defuego wrote:We talked about that "rule" somewhere here before, not sure if it was this thread or somewhere else. The general consensus seemed to be that nobody else had ever heard of that rule. I'd definitely never go by it. I think it's pretty stupid to be honest. As a parent you should be able to decide how many friends you can handle at your child's birthday.
I agree to a point. I never actually heard that rule of thumb (which is different to me than a "rule") If you want/can handle a bunch of kids, go for it. But if you are complaining about how stressful the party planning is, you're not going by what you can handle. You're going by some expectations either you have set up for yourself or your family/friends, or in C&K's case vlogging, has set up. I am still convinced Gaines would have been fine with something smaller. This was for them. For the vlogs and to impress friends and family.

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Oh it's totally their decision about how many kids to invite. There's no set in stone rule, but I think it's a nice rule of thumb as immomsd said. Personally I think that many "friends" at a party would be overwhelming for a 3 year old. But like I said. To each their own.

I wonder if they wanted to invite a few kids from MG's class, but the program has a rule about if you want to invite one, you have to invite the whole class.

cynthiadancer
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by cynthiadancer »

I just don't think you can judge based on how stressed out they were about it. For one, everyone handles stress differently and has different thresholds for it. Had they planned ahead and not waited until a few days before to get themselves together, it wouldn't have been stressful. Nothing about that party would have been difficult to pull off under normal circumstances. I just think C&K have terrible planning and time management skills which leads to them getting overly stressed about a 3 year old's birthday party which really didn't have to be. The party was adorable! I don't think it was over the top at all. And I don't think their traditions are over the top either. It wasn't unusual when I was little to have both a family party and a friend's party and probably a dinner or outing with my parents on the day of my actual birthday if it was a week day. And I don't live in the south.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Agree to disagree about it being too much for a three year old, but you are 100% right that they should have been able to pull off that party without being stressed out and without having to stay up late the night before. It's interesting how vloggers get to be so bad at time management. How many vlogs have we seen of people late to airports, late for school-- it's like since they don't have jobs making them stick to a schedule, they lose all their ability to plan their day.

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I thought it was a cute party, kind of a lot of kids for a 3 year old, but not anything out of the ordinary from what I've experienced. But yeah, it shouldn't have been as stressful as they're making it out to be. I'm glad they put shorts on Gaines at some point, that mermaid tail skirt was cute, but looked really hard to play in. I'm surprised she tolerated it. My kid would've hated being so restricted.
Madsmom110
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Madsmom110 »

Who were these kids? Have we seen them before?
ladymama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I will say the one thing I disagree with is "unbirthday gifts". I think it's so wrong to condition children to expect something on someone else's birthday. The only exception for me is when a sibling is just born. I think "big sibling" gifts are helpful in the adjusting process. Unbirthday gifts are just to quiet entitled children.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”