Steps to Controlling Your Spouse

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Steps to Controlling Your Spouse

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Playsinrain wrote:Didn't they totally skip out on birthing classes too... bc they knew everything already? I might be unintentionally lying here, but for some reason i feel like this happened. Image
I think you're right. I could be wrong too, but I seem to remember something like that. The birthing class wasn't jiving with their schedule, and they knew everything anyway (what schedule?) And what "educated" laboring mom doesn't know what it means to have her cervix thinning? It's actually called effacement, which if they had studied anything about labor, they would have known. Arrrrgh!
Rant over.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:Didn't they totally skip out on birthing classes too... bc they knew everything already? I might be unintentionally lying here, but for some reason i feel like this happened. :lol:
I dont think they went either.
I think they "said" they did, but I remember thinking it didn't appear that they spent the FULL day there (I think it was an all-day class on a Saturday). The definitely missed their hospital tour.

Edit: Here's the vlog about it. Even if they did actually go, it appears they learned NOTHING. Do they really teach the Love Languages thing in a birthing class???!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAOAx5cZbhs
Popcorn
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Popcorn »

For the record, definitely not knocking anyone's choice for an epidural, including Kelsey's! No birth judgment here. My judgment was that they were so sanctimonious about their natural birth plans, and yet obviously grossly unprepared and uneducated. They did do one of those one-day birth classes, and that was it besides Kelsey's mantra-writing and mandala-painting.

In other news: they've basically become DB since moving down there, although there were in their way before. I can't even bare to hate watch a vlog titled BOX FORT CHALLENGE or whatever it's called. And the waste of money was the first thing I thought of in reference to the costumes. Already sick of those dumb skits, too. I wish family vloggers would stop relying on Youtube Kids so much and just show normal life. I loved the vlog of June having solid food for the first time. That baby is so cute.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I think pretty much everyone is on the same page about judging Kelsey. Nobody is judging her choice. Just like you said, the sanctimonious behavior plus lack of preparation. Didn't she even say that "my body knows what to do"? I mean, basically, yes, it does. But if you're going to be judgy about not using meds, you need to be prepared. Because it hurts like nothing else.
I'm actually glad that she was able to deviate from her birth plan without seeming to be really hard on herself.

scoopr420
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by scoopr420 »

lmmomSD wrote:I think pretty much everyone is on the same page about judging Kelsey. Nobody is judging her choice. Just like you said, the sanctimonious behavior plus lack of preparation. Didn't she even say that "my body knows what to do"? I mean, basically, yes, it does. But if you're going to be judgy about not using meds, you need to be prepared. Because it hurts like nothing else.
I'm actually glad that she was able to deviate from her birth plan without seeming to be really hard on herself.

I agree. I am totally not judging Kelsey for getting the epidural. Child birth hurts like no other. there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting an epidural. (I just personally didn't want one)
Birth plans are great but I feel like most of the time, things just don't go as you plan. That is the first dose of what it's like to be a parent lol. Them being on their high horse ahead of time talking about it is what annoyed me.
Popcorn
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Popcorn »

I felt sad for her that she talked about feeling like a failure after getting the epidural, but glad that she realized she had still conquered several fears by getting one.

While we're hoping for and "planning" for a natural birth, I'm not even writing a birth plan besides a few special preferences I'd like people to be aware of in the event of a transfer from the birth center to the hospital, or in the event I'd end up with a c-section. I'm a doula, and I've seen first hand how even the most prepared women/couples can end up having way different births than they "planned." We're going to go with the flow, which I think is one of the things that frustrates me about K&C in just about every situation.

They ALWAYS insist things are going to be a certain way (we've exhausted the topics of the birth, their studio apartment, the car, etc.) and then don't acknowledge it when they change their mind. I'd have so much more respect for them, even despite all of the other issues, if they would just acknowledge the need for flexibility in life and how you learn things as you move through it ("Yeah, we really thought we'd be able to get by without a car, but after giving it a try, we learned that it was much harder than we were expecting because of the things we like to do."). But they don't.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Popcorn wrote:I felt sad for her that she talked about feeling like a failure after getting the epidural, but glad that she realized she had still conquered several fears by getting one.

While we're hoping for and "planning" for a natural birth, I'm not even writing a birth plan besides a few special preferences I'd like people to be aware of in the event of a transfer from the birth center to the hospital, or in the event I'd end up with a c-section. I'm a doula, and I've seen first hand how even the most prepared women/couples can end up having way different births than they "planned." We're going to go with the flow, which I think is one of the things that frustrates me about K&C in just about every situation.

They ALWAYS insist things are going to be a certain way (we've exhausted the topics of the birth, their studio apartment, the car, etc.) and then don't acknowledge it when they change their mind. I'd have so much more respect for them, even despite all of the other issues, if they would just acknowledge the need for flexibility in life and how you learn things as you move through it ("Yeah, we really thought we'd be able to get by without a car, but after giving it a try, we learned that it was much harder than we were expecting because of the things we like to do."). But they don't.
Yes! You said it exactly. It's the absolute lack of being able to say "We thought this would work, but we were wrong". They just pretend that they didn't spend a whole bunch of time and effort defending the exact opposite of what they are doing. Like little kids sticking their fingers in their ears saying "Nananana! I can't hear you!"

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Ok, I haven't watched the episode, but what in the world is that stuff on the side of their pumpkin bread on Kelsey's Instagram? These cooking segments are embarrassing. Apart from the weird oily substance on the side of the bread, it's just a really flat loaf. (Smitten Kitchen recipe is my fav for pumpkin bread.)
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

HashtagBlessed wrote:Ok, I haven't watched the episode, but what in the world is that stuff on the side of their pumpkin bread on Kelsey's Instagram? These cooking segments are embarrassing. Apart from the weird oily substance on the side of the bread, it's just a really flat loaf. (Smitten Kitchen recipe is my fav for pumpkin bread.)
Is it supposed to be glaze? If so I was confused with the glaze and powdered sugar on top. And that is just a sad sad deflated loaf.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

Maybe the Lannings could taste test their food

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I went ahead and read the recipe in the deception, and it looks like they tried to substitute coconut oil for vegetable oil. Lol! Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so of course it separated. Gross. Plus, coconut oil was trendy for a long time, and now it's common knowledge that it's one of the worst oils for you health-wise. It's 84% saturated fat, compared to butter (63% saturated fat) and olive oil (18% saturated fat).
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

LOL-- your typo was hilarious. The "deception" instead of "description". So perfect!

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Haha- oops.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

I was skipping through the boring parts of the vlog...and I was suddenly at the end!! LOL! They are seriously a snooze-fest now. Reading about them here is WAY more interesting than the really fake and boring vlogs.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

HashtagBlessed wrote:I went ahead and read the recipe in the deception, and it looks like they tried to substitute coconut oil for vegetable oil. Lol! Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so of course it separated. Gross. Plus, coconut oil was trendy for a long time, and now it's common knowledge that it's one of the worst oils for you health-wise. It's 84% saturated fat, compared to butter (63% saturated fat) and olive oil (18% saturated fat).
And these two are staring in a cooking show. Doh!
luci417
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by luci417 »

scoopr420 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:I think pretty much everyone is on the same page about judging Kelsey. Nobody is judging her choice. Just like you said, the sanctimonious behavior plus lack of preparation. Didn't she even say that "my body knows what to do"? I mean, basically, yes, it does. But if you're going to be judgy about not using meds, you need to be prepared. Because it hurts like nothing else.

I agree. I am totally not judging Kelsey for getting the epidural. Child birth hurts like no other. there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting an epidural. (I just personally didn't want one)
Birth plans are great but I feel like most of the time, things just don't go as you plan. That is the first dose of what it's like to be a parent lol. Them being on their high horse ahead of time talking about it is what annoyed me.
Yeah I have no problem with the epidural itself. I was just how she acted like she was so much better than every other woman for giving birth naturally beforehand and then said she felt like a failure for getting the epidural. It came across to me that she thinks all women who get epidurals 'fail' at birth somehow for taking pain relief and she's only upset because now she's one of those women. Their reactions before and after and refusal to admit that they didn't do the work was what pissed me off.
"This is the most ghetto shit I've ever seen in my life."
Rihanna
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I know that nothing should shock me anymore about the depths of their laziness, but I was kind of shocked that they did next to nothing to prepare for a natural birth. A one day birth class that seemed to also encompass newborn care, which Kelsey thought was not particularly useful. They missed their hospital tour due to bad weather, and didn't follow-up on rescheduling. So they just showed up at the hospital one day, and of course they weren't permitted in the restricted areas, so they just hung out at the cafeteria. No HypnoBirthing, no prenatal yoga, no lamaze class, no reading, etc. This is quite possibly the most physically difficult thing your body will ever go through, and Kelsey painted something to focus on and bought some electric candles. WHAT? She did nothing but sit in that apartment for months leading up to the birth. Prior to that she did nothing but sit in the passenger seat of the van and direct Corbin to Walmart parking lots for months. I will continue to be stunned by their staggering lack of preparation or forethought.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

Buying a costume for every day in October is a very Missy thing to do. I wonder if she's footing the bill.
mandylouwho
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by mandylouwho »

I've been watching Step by Step and the cousin Cody reminds me so much of Corbin haha. It's the annoying vocal fry.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

mandylouwho wrote:I've been watching Step by Step and the cousin Cody reminds me so much of Corbin haha. It's the annoying vocal fry.
Sasha ::swoon::

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”