Ugly Bridesmaid Dresses?

TaylorKnows

Ugly Bridesmaid Dresses?

Unread post by TaylorKnows »

I'm not engaged or anything, but my former career choice was wedding planning. And my one thing I really hated was seeing women pick butt ugly bridesmaid dresses for their bridesmaids so they wouldn't upstage them. And my best friend says if she ever gets married, we'll all be wearing ugly bridesmaids dresses because it's "funny". Yes, it's real funny when your wedding looks stupid because your bridesmaid dresses look like they belong on Pluto. To me, it backfires. Your wedding looks tacky. I've only been in one wedding and my dress was actually really pretty and I loved it. My aunt let me have a say in it and she said she wouldn't want me to wear something I hated. I get not wanting to be upstaged, but really? I feel the uglier, the more attraction will be on them.

I'm just curious on other people's opinions? Experiences? Has anyone worn an ugly dress?
MamaJoAnna
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ugly Bridesmaid Dresses?

Unread post by MamaJoAnna »

I've never worn an ugly dress myself, but when I got married and was planning my wedding, I had a say in my bridesmaids' dresses...however, it was pretty much a 50/50 split. My roommate (one of the bridesmaids) would pull out a dress that looked like a toga (absolutely not), whereas I pulled the dress that she ended up wearing the longer version of (my other bridesmaid wore the one I happened to pull off the rack, while my MOH picked an entirely different dress, with my approval - after all she was my MOH).
RIP Dad - 09/30/2017 :angel:
guestgue
Amateur
Amateur
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by guestgue »

I've been a bridesmaid in two weddings, and the bride in my own. In all the ceremonies the bridesmaids picked their own dress for the most part (both mine and one of my friend's, three of the 5 girls were able to go shopping and all loved the same dress-so everyone was just kind of assigned it), the other everyone picked different dresses but in the same color/fabric.

I really hate ugly dresses. If I want you in my wedding, I want you to look and feel amazing. I want you to be comfortable and happy wearing something the entire day. I'm really happy that all of my girls loved the dress they were in. Despite them all being various sizes, it looked great on everyone.
“There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” – Fred Rogers

[email protected]
strawberries
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by strawberries »

I'm not married nor have I ever been a bridesmaid, but I will say I would never intentionally have my bridesmaids look horrendous to highlight myself. I feel that would be a direct hit on my personal taste. Like "she thinks that looks GOOD?" As you said I would want everyone to look their best at my wedding, because looking back on photos would be a disappointment seeing everyone looking any less than perfect.

Unread post by Guest »

For my bridesmaid dresses, I picked out black (my colors were black and red with a touch of cream), and picked out a dress that looked good in all sizes. I also thought the material was good for photos and the color was slimming, yet also great for any skin tone. Honestly, I wanted my bridesmaids to look great! I didn't feel like they would outshine me, but I hate going to weddings and seeing bridesmaids that are either too tacky, too much skin, too tight, or constantly pulling their strapless dresses up while their boobs fall out. Those things come up in photos and also draw away from the ceremony I believe.

Here is a photo from my wedding (I edited their faces out for privacy) Image

Unread post by Guest »

When brides are selfish enough to dress-down their bridesmaids with not-so-flattering dresses in order to highlight themselves, they are actually taking away from themselves as everyone keeps looking at how awful the wedding party looks.

Return to “Wedding Planning”