Long Distance

kiki
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Long Distance

Unread post by kiki »

I've been dating my boyfriend for almost 7 years (since I was 16 - I'm 23 now). more than half of that has been long distance. After 6 months of dating, I moved 3 hours away and we were long distance for 2 years then. After that, we ended up going to university together and living together (with roommates) for 3 years. However, every summer was long distance, and then his last year of school he was doing co-op a few hours away, and I got a job a few hours away after graduation.. so we are currently on month 10 of thiscurrent round of LD! We've always seen each other about every 2 weeks when we're living apart, but the longest we've ever gone without seeing each other was about 8 weeks. As long as you make the time to see each other every 2-3 weeks and keep yourself busy when apart, it'll be fine. I think people are either cut out for it or they're not - I have always been able to trust my boyfriend and have never had to worry about who he's with, what he's doing, etc when I'm not there. You both need to make an effort to talk often and see each other as often as you can, but other than that, keep yourself busy! I found when we first started LD, I didn't go out much or do anything, so I'd end up getting mad because he wasn't available to talk to me 24/7. However in this most recent round of LD, I was busy with a full course load at school, working part time, volunteering and going out with friends. I was honestly too busy to miss him! We texted every day but didn't always get a chance to have long conversations/skype/phone calls as often, but that meant when we did get to see each other on the weekends we had lots to catch up on and were really happy to see each other.
ashelflife
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ashelflife »

I'm kind of late to the party, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. :) My boyfriend and I were long distance for 3 years. (Him 23, me 21) He Missouri, me Texas. We'd talked about meeting up several times over that 3 year period but it just never happened. Well, in Aug I moved here to Missouri to go to school. :) And I'm sure you can imagine what came next. Now. I'm in a very similar situation as you. My roommate is useless however and we rarely talk and she generally ignores me. She's also a complete slob too, doesn't help either that her boyfriend lives about 5 minutes away from our townhouse, so you can imagine where he crashes all the time. I don't really know many people here and the friends I do live on campus, and I have no car. So my social skills are taking a dive.

BUT. My boyfriend, like yours, comes most weekends to see me. And like you, I just went through a 3 week period of not seeing him (in person at least). I'm not gonna sugar coat it, it sucked so much. And with the roommate bringing her boyfriend over and they being all lovey dovey? Hah!

However, even though a couple weeks without him isn't ideal. I always try to remind myself I made it 3 years without ever being with him in person, I think I can handle a couple of weeks. Now, that's just how I justify the loneliness/missing feeling I get. It does still get to me from time to time. But I do try to remind myself that it always could be worse.

Also when he finally does arrive I appreciate it so much. And noticed I don't take his company for granted like other couples I've watched do.

I hope in some way my input helps you. Or if nothing else you can relate. It's always REALLY hard to go from a lot of distance, to a short distance, and then no distance, and then short distance again. I mean we used to be 16 hours away from each other. Now we're only 2 hours away and even though the waiting for him to come back sucks, when he is here, it's great! :)

I recently met his parents and they love me. As well as his mom's girlfriends/coworkers too! (I was so nervous meeting them) they treat me as part of the family. :D

My brother the other day stood up for me against my mom. She doesn't like the idea of my boyfriend and was trying to encourage my brother to tell me I should look for other guys on campus etc. And my brother told her off says my dad. Which is very unlike my brother. I used to think he hated the idea of him and me together, but I guess not.

My dad is also relieved to hear that everything is going well between the two of us. I'm also too! I was so worried it wouldn't work out, and so far, smooth sailing. :)
Heartbreakcoverupxo
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Heartbreakcoverupxo »

Before I married my now husband, we've been together for 7 years. 5 years and partially a couple months were all long distance, but 5 years of harsh long distance. It was so hard especially when you have to leave. I lived in Canada and he lived here down in the states. My advice to you would be, it gets better and the more you're apart the stronger you'll get. The first time leaving I was a mess, second time very bad but the third I realized this isn't going to last forever and kept busy with school and friends. We also talked every day, the distance will make your relationship so much stronger it's insane, but for some people it just doesn't work out. Think positive, stay faithful and enjoy the time you two are together. I hope you two will be together forever ! ! You can do this, stay strong it will be a cake walk for you :) <3
I speak the truth, if that makes me a bitch then so be it.
Heartbreakcoverupxo
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Heartbreakcoverupxo »

Forgot to add, now we're not long distance at all, we live together and I see his beautiful face everyday when he gets home from work, and we even have a son together now.
I speak the truth, if that makes me a bitch then so be it.
justanotherhater
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by justanotherhater »

Two words, keep busy.

My boyfriend of 3+ yrs is finishing up his master's degree in another country. We've been long distance for about 3 months now. I can't say we are doing perfectly, but it's getting better with time. Text as often as you can, and talk about your days. It really helps me feel closer to him. Always remember that he loves you and it's only temporary. It's so easy to let your thoughts run amok when you are sitting around thinking about it!

I'm sure you will love seeing him after those 3 weeks! Look forward to that and keep busy. Good luck.

Return to “Relationships”