Letting kids eat food before checking out?

emilynicole1435
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Letting kids eat food before checking out?

Unread post by emilynicole1435 »

Hi everyone! I'm not a mom, but I'm a cashier at a grocery store, and I'm curious to know what actual parents think of this: quite a few times when people check out, I'll see they let their kids eat something before purchasing it. Usual items are opened chip bags and cereal boxes, those little puree fruit pouches for toddlers, sometimes cookies missing from a box. It personally doesn't bug me since they're still paying for it, but when I mentioned it to my own mom she said she never let me or my brother do that because she said we needed to learn to wait and would usually just bring a snack from home if it was going to be a long day. So, yeah, where do you all stand on this?
MamaJoAnna
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: Letting kids eat food before checking out?

Unread post by MamaJoAnna »

I have a 2 year old and pack enough snacks and drinks to feed an army of toddlers, much less just the one I have in tow I almost always keep a baggie of Cheerios, a bag of Welch's fruit snacks, and a snack cup of Goldfish handy (plus like 3 different straw cups with 3 different drinks lol).
RIP Dad - 09/30/2017 :angel:
zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

The only reason I would ever do this is if my kid is REALLY hungry and cranky and if it's a product that doesn't need to be weighed. But most of the time I make her wait until it's paid for.
tori
Talker
Talker

Unread post by tori »

As a cashier, a massive pet peeve of mine is when someone hands me a half eaten banana to be weighed at check out. It's gross and so rude.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
emilynicole1435
Informer
Informer

Unread post by emilynicole1435 »

tori wrote:As a cashier, a massive pet peeve of mine is when someone hands me a half eaten banana to be weighed at check out. It's gross and so rude.

Ugh, yeah, that sounds disgusting! I haven't dealt with that yet, thankfully.
Sleepybirds
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Sleepybirds »

I used to let my son do it when he was too young to be reasoned with. He's 2.5 now but when he was under 2 it was just easier to let him have a few crackers than to have a public screaming embarrassment. I wouldn't do it with produce items though because their weight affects the cost and if you eat half a banana and only pay for half a banana that's basically stealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

tori wrote:As a cashier, a massive pet peeve of mine is when someone hands me a half eaten banana to be weighed at check out. It's gross and so rude.

I hated that when I was a cashier. One person said to me "I'm sorry my kid ate the banana. Here's the peel, can you still weigh it?" Lol

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”