Cloth Diapering: HELP!

Chevbowlyn
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cloth Diapering: HELP!

Unread post by Chevbowlyn »

I really would recommend not getting "China Cheapies". If you want more children later on or even sale them, you want better quality diapers. Applecheeks get good resale value and so does Rumparooz. If it's a money issue, buy prefolds and good covers like Rumparooz and Flip. I used prefolds and covers in the newborn stage and loved it! Makes me wish my covers were bigger. Lol
Lunchlady
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Lunchlady »

Febe wrote: Lunchlady- that is exactly how people reacted when I said that! I went back up north to visit family this past summer, I was holding my cousins baby and people were asking when my husband and I were going to have a baby (then told us to wait and enjoy our "free time") and I mentioned cloth diapering, and people were like "yeah okay, good luck with that" "ew, why would you want to put yourself through that" "why would you cloth diaper when they make disposables?" I just pretended I didn't hear anyone and went on holding the baby.
Yea that sounds like my family lol. You will get comments from just about anything you do. What I love is proving all those people wrong :). Many people think of cloth diapers as the plastic pants, pins and prefolds. They have come along way and I was even surprised at how easy they are. They are like disposables but you are not throwing away your money. You can use them for multiple kids or sell the ones you didnt really care for. Really it is only an extra load of laundry every other day or second day (depending on your diaper stash).
You should look in your area and see if you have a natural/cloth diaper store. The one in my area does a cloth diapering 101 class which was very helpful and you get to see all the options.
Like I said I dont have kids but when I do I wont even bother with disposables :)
Febe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Febe »

Lunchlady wrote:
Febe wrote: Lunchlady- that is exactly how people reacted when I said that! I went back up north to visit family this past summer, I was holding my cousins baby and people were asking when my husband and I were going to have a baby (then told us to wait and enjoy our "free time") and I mentioned cloth diapering, and people were like "yeah okay, good luck with that" "ew, why would you want to put yourself through that" "why would you cloth diaper when they make disposables?" I just pretended I didn't hear anyone and went on holding the baby.
Yea that sounds like my family lol. You will get comments from just about anything you do. What I love is proving all those people wrong :). Many people think of cloth diapers as the plastic pants, pins and prefolds. They have come along way and I was even surprised at how easy they are. They are like disposables but you are not throwing away your money. You can use them for multiple kids or sell the ones you didnt really care for. Really it is only an extra load of laundry every other day or second day (depending on your diaper stash).
You should look in your area and see if you have a natural/cloth diaper store. The one in my area does a cloth diapering 101 class which was very helpful and you get to see all the options.
Like I said I dont have kids but when I do I wont even bother with disposables :)
I actually just looked and there are quite a few stores down here that sell cloth diapers, and offer classes. I will probably wait on the classes, but I'm going to check out the diapers when I can! :)
VolcomCherry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by VolcomCherry »

I have a question to all you mcn mummas out there.
My dp washed a good few of my sons mcns ( he's trained now but were keeping then incase we have another child)
However he put softener in! I've never put softener in with our mcns as I was told not to.
Are they worth nothing now? Can I do anything to get this softener out?
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by blackbetty »

Idk what MCNs are. But whatever it is, you should be able to strip it out with RLR or lots of hot water.
#FreeBen
VolcomCherry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Pretty much cloth.
Mcn - modern cloth nappy
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Oooh okay haha.

I use natural fiber diapers (no polyester or PUL or anything, just bamboo and cotton) and I use softener on them but only Mrs. Meyers. It is plant based, not oil based so it doesn't cause repelling issues. Idk if I would recommend them for covers or diapers with synthetic materials. If ya wanna use softener in the future that is.

If you just wanna strip it and be done, I'd rinse them in your machine on hot a few times til it comes out. Or you could get some RLR and strip them. It's been so long since I've had to but I know you can find good info on how to do it on google!
#FreeBen
TheEnd
Talker
Talker

Unread post by TheEnd »

I doubt using fabric softener once will do much, but I would wash them with your normal detergent and run a few extra hot rinses after to make sure the residue is out.
Chevbowlyn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Try stripping with original Dawn. Put a dime size on each insert and scrub.
VolcomCherry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Original dawn? Like fish washing liquid? Sorry from Australia lol
Chevbowlyn
Gossiper
Gossiper

American dish soap.
briannaspeaks
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by briannaspeaks »

Maybe strip them. I use a couple different methods.

Sometimes I use dawn dish soap and bleach in the wash.
Other times I scrub it with dish soap and then rinse it manually (they always seem to get cleaner when washed by hand IMO)

Just wash it a good amount of times, make sure you use A LOT of water... the more water to go through the diaper the better.

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)."
DigThePig
Talker
Talker

Unread post by DigThePig »

First off let me say Thank the lord that this board is HERE!!! Second I am kinda new to cloth. (my first used disposables and now my second uses a mixture of both)

My littlest uses disposables with sitters and sometimes while we are out because people don't like dealing with her cloth :roll: . LONG story short the sitter used up all the disposables and put on a cloth but used regular diaper cream. Now the diaper is all greasy and nasty. Is it trash or can I save it?!?! PLEASE HELP I would hate to throw it away.
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

You could try scrubbing it with an old toothbrush and some blue dawn. That's what I did with a diaper cream stain on my first fitted.
#FreeBen
DigThePig
Talker
Talker

Unread post by DigThePig »

Ok, Thank you! It's a one size and I am hoping to use it with our next child so I was too afraid to get rough with it. I baby my cloth lol
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I baby mine too haha but with something like that, you either are rough on it an hope it comes out or it's stained forever.
#FreeBen

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”