Wills,RESP,Savings,Anything else?

subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Wills,RESP,Savings,Anything else?

Unread post by subject99 »

What do you ladies have for children? Some if us have talked about it before. I have made posted about this before. Like I've said previously I've thought about doing a will but the father of my children and I just couldnt come to an agreement on who would take care of our children. We kinda have talked about it. But still no agreement. I've recently have just taken it upon myself since we have been apart since January 2012. My parents are paying to have a will drawn up for me now we talked about it today because a few months back I actually spoke to the godparents of my daughter and asked if anything were to happen to me if they would be will to take care of my children. Of course they said. I knew they would. I phoned their parents and asked if I named them in the will as well as a whole family because they are second grandparents to my children next to my parents. Well , of course they said yes. They would be helping the godparents anyways. Providing with money, food,etc if they ever needed it. They all ate being named in the will.

Has anyone ever made a will? Do I need to tell the father? I mean he isn't doing one any time soon, I e tried talking to him about it and getting one drawn up it's been well over 3 years and 2 kids later. Every time you have a kid your suppose to have a new one drawn up that year. I'm tired if waiting.

Also, I'm tired of him saying to stop worrying about savings accounts so I'm opening my own RESP accounts for my kids next week. Is there any else I should be doing? I feel like I'm missing something. He has the school covered. But a piece of me just doesn't trust him.
gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wills,RESP,Savings,Anything else?

Unread post by gypsophila »

I don't think you can designate who gets custody of your children, without his approval. If something happened to you, they would go to him. If something happened to the both of you, or one first, then the other, you'd have to have an agreement on that contingency that you would both sign. It's a highly unlikely scenario, but something we all worry about. I hope he will just agree with you and be done with it, although he needs a will too, for the children's sake. It sounds like you are doing things right. Do you have life insurance? That would be something else to look into.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”- Buddha
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I'm hoping that if it's drawn up that he just signs it agrees. He's a bloody moron. My children are actually covered under my dad's. All was done and signed yesterday. He's retiring tomorrow. That's why I'm my nieces trustee. But I plan to invest/look into. I'm not sure what company is the best to be honest. I'm with TD and they offer it.
Confusedchick127
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Confusedchick127 »

I don't have a will done up but this past week we've applied for life insurance on me, my daughter, and my fiancé. I got the gerber life insurance for my daughter and myself. I'm not sure who my fiancé went through, I believe progressive which he has his car insurance through so that is all in one bill so its less to worry about. They say to get life insurance as soon as possible because it is cheaper and you also never know what can happen.
We have not talked about who will take our daughter if something were to happen. It's hard to think about but it's very important, for her sake, to have somebody lined up if we were gone. If it was only one of us, we would obviously have the other take her. But, if it was both of us..we have no idea. We can't even pick godparents so we can get her baptized.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

See I do all my banking with TD and I'm setting up the RESP with TD I'm going to asking about the life insurance as well see how much it cost with them. I already have shitty healthy. I'm hoping that won't have make it cost more or have a huge effect. I really don't know much about it. But like I said above my dad is retiring well since it's 2am he is now retiring today!!!! Anyways he has put my children into his life insurance policy and into his retirement package and they get money and x amount of money when he passes. Which is nice and all but I still need to plan for the future.

Also about the will. There is no court order between us. There is no custody between us either. Will that make a difference? Does anyone know? I'm sure once I see the lawyer he can explain more but my mum hasn't called the lawyer yet. They aren't coming down till next week.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Confusedchick127 wrote:I don't have a will done up but this past week we've applied for life insurance on me, my daughter, and my fiancé. I got the gerber life insurance for my daughter and myself. I'm not sure who my fiancé went through, I believe progressive which he has his car insurance through so that is all in one bill so its less to worry about. They say to get life insurance as soon as possible because it is cheaper and you also never know what can happen.
We have not talked about who will take our daughter if something were to happen. It's hard to think about but it's very important, for her sake, to have somebody lined up if we were gone. If it was only one of us, we would obviously have the other take her. But, if it was both of us..we have no idea. We can't even pick godparents so we can get her baptized.
Hope you pick godparents soon! It's very important. Good luck! It's such a lovely service and joyful time. For my daughters baptism it was such a lovely day, it was just amazing! It truly was. I wish you the best and wish you all the fun we had. I had so much fun.

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”