Toilet Training

staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Toilet Training

Unread post by staceymj »

I am starting to toilet train my 2.5 year old boy. So give me all your hints and tips! He's nappy/diaper free in his big boy undies, we have the elmo potty he picked out, we have the rewards chart and the stickers. He will sit on the potty but is yet to use it, we have had a few accidents but that's ok. I think he will get the whole thing once he uses it the first time. But I'll take any hints and tips available!
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: Toilet Training

Unread post by blackbetty »

With my kids, we let them pick out underwear, explained the concept a lot and let them wear them. If they had an accident, they had to have a diaper on. We'd make a big deal about how big kids wear special underwear but only if they use the toilet. Had more accidents with my daughter than my son but not many. My son caught right on and was day trained by 2.
#FreeBen
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by subject99 »

I could use this thread! What we did for out boy is go straight to standing up. We didn't do the sitting. It just wasn't for us. But were having problems for pooping now. It's hit and miss he goes here and there in the potty. Wee give rewards when he does and take away toys when he goes on the floor. But he mostly goes in his pants/underwear or he waits till he he wakes up in the morning in his pampers underjams. He says the potty is too big and it's mine. He is 54lbs so a little potty is out of the question. It's the actual toilet or diapers and I'm not going backwards. If he does go poo on the floor he gets toilet paper and put in the toilet so he knows it goes in there. Ugh so annoying.
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by blackbetty »

We also went straight to standing. My son was very tall and could reach on his tippy toes and had a small real toilet at daycare.

Subject99, what about a small stepstool for #1 and a seat adapter for #2? They make those toilet seats that fit over a standard toilet seat and they often have character ones... I would expect them to be 10-15 bucks, 20 at the most.
#FreeBen
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by subject99 »

We have been through 3 different seat adapters. Different brands and styles to fit his fussiness. He keeps coming up with excuses. We have a miniature step stool that he doesn't need because he is too tall but we keep it beside the toilet. We've covered everything.

I'm thinking it's the stress forming going to one home to another then going to his dad's fathers house once and while (grandpas house you ) so he can't get comfortable with a toilet or something. I really don't know. Were moving august 23rd that week. My dad will be helping me getting him to poo on the potty! (Thank The Lord!)
gossip_lover
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gossip_lover »

I'm not sure if you're open to this idea, but it worked like a charm for us after being so frustrated from everything else not working. What I did was bribe her with m&ms. I would give her one for sitting on the potty, because she would refuse to even sit on it, she'd get two if she peed, and three if she pooped.
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

Oh I am not above bribing lol. I'll do about anything for him to pee somewhere other than the floor. I dunno who long you try before you decide they aren't ready. I don't want to stop too soon but I don't want to push it either. Too hard lol.
old_soul_here
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by old_soul_here »

I tried for a week, bribes weren't working, he had all the ready signs but one, in the end I decided to leave it till he got that last sign because it was turning into a huge deal for him and I could see he was starting to hate it. Dropped for now, but starting to feel the time pressure, he has to be TT for Kindy which is August.... (he's 2.5) and I know he probably won't be by then but he won't do till he's ready I know this kid he's just as stubborn about everything.

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”