Conceiving on the Pill

gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Conceiving on the Pill

Unread post by gypsophila »

Fell out, out? How did she not notice that? *Edit: Nevermind. She noticed so she went to the doctor.

Here, my daughter had to go to a special clinic for insertion of the IUD. That was good because obviously they are the experts. Her family doctor couldn't do the insertion. Then she had 2 follow-up appointments to check placement and go over any issues. There is a lot of support. We're lucky that it is all free here, as well. I don't think she paid for the Mirena either. I may be wrong. She had said it might cost $65 for the prescription to be filled, but that was it. So really, also way cheaper than the pills she was on as well. She was an unreliable pill taker, so for her, this method is a good choice.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”- Buddha
briannaspeaks
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by briannaspeaks »

I've only been on the pill a few times and all those times I was on Lo Loestrin Fe. The lowest dosage on the market, at least it was when I had gotten it.

The last time I was on it was the longest, about 7 months. The first 2 months were ok but then as the months went on my period would come later and later.. very gradually. In the beginning it would come the 1st or 2nd day it was "supposed" to come. Then by the last month it came 11 days late.
At that point I stopped taking it and went to the doctor. Told him what was going on and he had no idea. He said maybe I have a hormone imbalance or even my body could have overpowered the low dose pills and was getting back on my regular schedule. Regardless he said blood testing would need to be done, I said no dice and decided to just use condoms.

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)."
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by blackbetty »

gypsophila wrote:Fell out, out? How did she not notice that? *Edit: Nevermind. She noticed so she went to the doctor.

Here, my daughter had to go to a special clinic for insertion of the IUD. That was good because obviously they are the experts. Her family doctor couldn't do the insertion. Then she had 2 follow-up appointments to check placement and go over any issues. There is a lot of support. We're lucky that it is all free here, as well. I don't think she paid for the Mirena either. I may be wrong. She had said it might cost $65 for the prescription to be filled, but that was it. So really, also way cheaper than the pills she was on as well. She was an unreliable pill taker, so for her, this method is a good choice.
Sorry I wasn't clear! It was placed incorrectly which caused her to conceive and she had no idea. She mistook her implantation bleeding as breakthrough bleeding. At some point it fell out, (it actually wasn't out, but it was dangling, ewwww) and that's when she went to the dr. They did a urine test before reinsertion and found out oops pregnant.
#FreeBen
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

briannaspeaks wrote:I've only been on the pill a few times and all those times I was on Lo Loestrin Fe. The lowest dosage on the market, at least it was when I had gotten it.

The last time I was on it was the longest, about 7 months. The first 2 months were ok but then as the months went on my period would come later and later.. very gradually. In the beginning it would come the 1st or 2nd day it was "supposed" to come. Then by the last month it came 11 days late.
At that point I stopped taking it and went to the doctor. Told him what was going on and he had no idea. He said maybe I have a hormone imbalance or even my body could have overpowered the low dose pills and was getting back on my regular schedule. Regardless he said blood testing would need to be done, I said no dice and decided to just use condoms.
I had tons of problems getting started on mine ugh I'm on ortho micronor (mini pill) and at first I was having heavy periods twice a month lasting 10-20 days at a time, it was horrible. They started to get lighter and are now more like 6 days and my cycle was 28-30 days a month but it seems to be getting later every month. I'm supposed to take a test every 28 days I don't have a period but I've always intended to do it every 35 days so I'm a week late. Haven't had to yet but this pill can stop your period. They advise the pregnancy test to ease your mind as not having a period is stressful to some people (like me!)
#FreeBen
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

So far I haven't taken a test but I did suspect pregnancy for a bit. AF came before I needed to test though. I'm gonna eventually buy some cheapie tests from eBay. Maybe some OPKs too, idk. We try to use backup or have other methods of fun around ovulation. Keeps things interesting =p My bf is really supportive too and that helps. One night I wasn't working I really wanted a nap (kids were in bed) and he called me at my pill time to make sure my alarm woke me up and I didn't miss it. It works for us!

I will say that I was so absolutely miserable the first few months I was on this pill. It was almost unbearable and there came a point where my boyfriend almost made me stop taking it because the side effects were horrible. I was so depressed and bitchy all the time which took him by surprise because he always says I'm the sweetest girl ever. We ended up giving a quit date and if it didn't improve by then we were gonna look for a diff method but the side effects gradually decreased SO MUCH. Other than a random incidence of spotting that was totally out of the norm for both me and my experience with this pill, I have basically no side effects. My cycle is only slightly irregular, no scares with any merit, no change in sex drive, nothin. I like it now.

When I eventually go off it to have a baby, I am scared of what my options will be following that baby because my boyfriend and I agreed we don't ever want me going through the crap I did getting used to the minipill the first time.
#FreeBen
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

That's what I'm hoping! I was supposed to be on it after my daughter was born. I had a prescription but I never got it filled as I wasn't dating or sexually active at the time and I didn't see the sense in adding hormones to my body unnecessarily.

I never had any side effects at all on the combo pill, I miss it. My doctor says he's worried about me being on it as I get frequent migraines, sometimes with aura, and he said estrogen increases the stroke risk. Boo! But now that I'm on it and better adjusted to it, I love it and I'm not pregnant after 9 mos so it's working! Haha
#FreeBen
sleep84
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by sleep84 »

cakewalked wrote: I can't imagine what they'll have in 30 years. I read an article that said male hormonal birth control is in the really near future .
I read stuff about that as well! Except that they have been saying that for 20 yrs at least!

I think it's great that it's one further step to hold men as much as women accountable and responsible for the prevention of an unwanted pregnancy.
Socially, though, I doubt so many men will eagerly stand in line to get a needle in their testicles. Not to mention any side effect, especially related to the sex drive or headaches, or any other thing.
http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2013/ ... ibilities/
http://jezebel.com/safe-effective-male- ... 1440768474

People need to stop taking for granted that whichever pain the woman goes through (troubles with the pill, IUDs, Depo shot, Implant..) "it's the least you can do if YOU want to have sex and avoid a baby". Even terminations spoken of like it's something fun and pleasant to get. Like you wouldn't avoid the procedure at all costs, if the outcome was irrelevant. :roll:
Parents should drill more into the mind of their sons that an unwanted pregnancy can really SCREW THEM.

It's true that there are many methods, usually very reliable. It's also true that accidents happen, hormonal methods may not suit every woman.
In the non-hormonal range there's just condoms, copper IUD, diaphragm+spermicide.

One of my ex classmates had a scare for legit double failure in barrier method: condom+diaphragm during a suspention of the pill (every 5yrs of so you have to get off it for a few months). There is conscientious objection for the morning after pill here, she couldn't get it. Not to mention immediatly, not to mention within the first 12 hours. Or 24. Minor chance of risk, yes. But she was on hormonal BC before.
Nothing happened luckly for her. But she was freaking out in tears for three weeks.
Then we celebrated with booze, not boxes of diapers! Woot Woot! :nana:

I agree that many people (especially YTubers) may lie to cover their asses because they don't want to be judged.
Although, think about how many car accidents happen. Or any other accident. Fall off your bike, break a wrist. Slip on ice, land badly.. hospitals are there because there are patients. If people could prevent everything just out of sheer will and general responsibility, we wouldn't need hospitals.
up all night, got demons to fight
gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

What do you mean by she couldn't get the Plan B pill? A pharmacist refused, or ALL pharmacists refused? I don't know how it works in the US. You don't need a prescription here, you just go to ANY pharmacy. It's really upsetting to hear that she was refused, since it doesn't affect a pregnancy at all. It only prevents implantation of a fertilized egg.

It is difficult for women who can't use hormonal methods. My older daughter has that issue. She has a clotting disorder. :(
gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

If you're over 17, it is over the counter in the US and Canada. You don't need a prescription for Plan B. It is not the abortion pill. That is RU-486, which is heavily controlled, and does cause abortion. I'm just gobsmacked reading about how pharmacists in the US use conscientious objection. That is unheard of here. It's like women are second class citizens there, who don't have control over their reproductive rights. That's just crazy in this day and age. Things like this should be easier, not harder. And there should be more options.
sleep84
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by sleep84 »

gypsophila wrote:What do you mean by she couldn't get the Plan B pill? A pharmacist refused, or ALL pharmacists refused? I don't know how it works in the US. You don't need a prescription here, you just go to ANY pharmacy. It's really upsetting to hear that she was refused, since it doesn't affect a pregnancy at all. It only prevents implantation of a fertilized egg.

It is difficult for women who can't use hormonal methods. My older daughter has that issue. She has a clotting disorder. :(
European state with the Vatican. :roll:
Don't even get me started.....
sleep84
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by sleep84 »

gypsophila wrote:If you're over 17, it is over the counter in the US and Canada. You don't need a prescription for Plan B. It is not the abortion pill. That is RU-486, which is heavily controlled, and does cause abortion. I'm just gobsmacked reading about how pharmacists in the US use conscientious objection. That is unheard of here. It's like women are second class citizens there, who don't have control over their reproductive rights. That's just crazy in this day and age. Things like this should be easier, not harder. And there should be more options.
Oh sweetheart, doctors object.
If it's evening-night, over the weekend, you are in another town... for any reason you can't reach your family doctor (hoping that you don't have an objector doctor) you have to go to the hospital.
Gynecologists object (or any other doctor because even a dentist can write the prescription). In PUBLIC hospitals.
Not even just private religious based ones. It goes from 70% to 90%, sometimes the whole hospital doesn't have a non objector.
If they do you have to wait maybe hours for the change of shift (if the doctor who doesn't object is not there).
It's subjected to the same objection as abortion.

They climb the walls because they say that if you prevent implantation is like having a chemical abortion. Therefore you "kill your baby". :roll:
We always need a prescription, even if you are 40. Some pharmacies don't keep it, some object, some slut-shame.
Medicine run by catholic religion. Gotta love it.
Italy..don't you just love it? :evil: :fit: :bang:
gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

That's just nutso to me. :( By law in the US, it is supposed to be available without a prescription to any woman over the age of 17. No doctor necessary. Yet they screw women around so they can't get it. I'd get some and just keep it in the medicine cabinet just in case, if I found somewhere to get it. Then it wouldn't be an issue during a true emergency. Maybe it can be ordered online, I don't know. The US is so behind other countries in so many ways. It's kind of laughable that there is supposed to be division between state and church, yet religion affects pretty much everything in the US. It's a scary thing to me. It's not progressive at all.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

I'm so glad my doctor has never objected to any form of birth control I wanted to be on. If she did I would switch doctors immediately. I know some people have doctors who refuse to prescribe the pill as birth control. They will only describe it for painful menstruation, etc. So you have to lie to those doctors to get it. It's ridiculous.
sleep84
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by sleep84 »

cakewalked wrote:I don't know if I would take the plan B... I don't know. I don't like IUDs for similar reasons, how they just prevent a fertilized egg from implanting. I could be wrong and please correct me if I am but from what I understand that's how they work. It just feels .. weird to me you know? I was told plan B is just like a "big dose of your normal pill." Is that true?
Hormonal IUDs have levonorgestrel same hormone of the pill (or other methods) but less amount and localized. It doesn't always prevent the egg from being there, but it does in a % of women.
The main function is to prevent fertilization, not implantation. It means that the swimmers don't go past the thickened cervical mucus or are damaged so they can't fertilize the egg (if it's there).
The Paragard works like this because of the inflammation provided by the copper in it, but it's less certain why and how.
If both those functions fail (for both types of IUDs) it can prevent implantation as well, because it alters the uterus lining.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD_with_progestogen

If Plan B equals more birth control pills? it depends on the pill and the dosage. If they contain ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel are considered safe and effective as emergency contraception. I think as a last resort it can work, but it would be better to use the proper plan B.

http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/dose.html
http://asktheexperts.plannedparenthood.org/?p=4216

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”