"Sleep when the baby sleeps" - first time parent to be

MamaJoAnna
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

"Sleep when the baby sleeps" - first time parent to be

Unread post by MamaJoAnna »

What are your thoughts on "sleeping when the baby sleeps?" I'll be a SAHM when the baby is born and just thinking about managing trying to breastfeed, taking care of him/her otherwise, trying to care for the house and our pets (2 cats & a dog), and take care of myself for 8 1/2 hours a day while my husband is at work is slightly overwhelming...sooooo what do I do?
RIP Dad - 09/30/2017 :angel:
nzmum512
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: "Sleep when the baby sleeps" - first time parent to be

Unread post by nzmum512 »

Take it one step at a time, do what you need to do to stay sane, and don't be scared to ask for help.
I pre-prepared a load of meals that could be frozen and reheated which lasted us the first few weeks of baby's life which took the pressure off with cooking and less dishes, and I had family around to do some housework for me. I slept when I could and pretty much just did what I could otherwise without putting pressure on myself. Priority #1 was keeping baby fed and happy. Priority #2 was sleeping and eating. Everything else doesn't matter, and don't be pressured into going out or having guests or anything before you're ready! Be prepared to say no to people if you need to - I told MIL she could't come over at one point because both bub and I were about to go to bed (at like 3pm haha) which she might have got a bit huffy about, but like I say, bub and I are top priority, not Nana's feelings!
bns629
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by bns629 »

The first couple weeks are HARD! We are 7 weeks into having our baby and just now getting into a routine! Take it 30 minutes at a time. If you need to sleep, sleep. If you need to cry,cry! Take help when offered! And if you ever need someone to just vent to,I'm always a PM away!
Clyde89

Unread post by Clyde89 »

I was with same suitation a year ago. It just that perfect time and schedule for new sleep and feeding should be maintained for new born baby. No doubt it will be tuff in starting and afterwards you will get into this.
ButterflyB
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ButterflyB »

I'm about to be in the same situation and am so excited but nervous at the same time!! My csection is scheduled for next Tuesday!! I am sure both you and I will survive this new journey we are about to go on though :) just take it one day at a time :)

Sent from my Samsung s5 using Tapatalk
ButterflyB
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ButterflyB »

Oh and now I see this is a very old post that was bumped lol sorry!!

Sent from my Samsung s5 using Tapatalk
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by blackbetty »

One kid is nothing lol I did it as a single mom with 2 kids, a job, 2 dogs, and college.
#FreeBen
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

blackbetty wrote:One kid is nothing lol I did it as a single mom with 2 kids, a job, 2 dogs, and college.
I agree. It's overwhelming right in the beginning because it is a huge change in your life but you get into your routine and you do what you have to do. And then you have your second child and you realise that one child is a walk in the park! They should warn you before you have the second child that the second child is never as easy as the first one lol.

You just learn to deal with the hand that your dealt. Whether that's stay at home mum, working mum, studying mum, single mum... You get into your own routine that works and life gets easier.

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”