Slight concerns for the future and pregnancy.

alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slight concerns for the future and pregnancy.

Unread post by alym0326 »

Hi everyone!

So I was just looking for some advice/guidance from women who have been through infertility issues (or anyone that has any advice for that matter)

So i've always had pretty irregular periods, but over the past year that have gotten increasingly more irregular. my cycles used to be between 23-35 days. It was rare for it to be 35 though - Anyways, as of the past 6 months or so I've noticed they've gotten much worse going from 35 days, to 43, then 51 days... as of this month I've had 3 periods/cycles since the beginning of October and am waiting for my 4th period...

My fiance and I aren't currently TTC and don't plan to for 3-4 years... but I'm getting increasingly paranoid watching youtuber's with infertility, reading and researching infertility, etc., I'm worried that something could be wrong, and since I'm not TTC - my doctor doesn't seem to care.

I mentioned to my doctor last time I went in (2 weeks ago) that I was concerned about my cycles and she pretty much brushed it off and continued talking about the initial cause for the appointment - which I think might be relevant, I was recently put on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill to help with my severe anxiety and insomnia - I've read that these pills COULD affect your period, but... I only started them in February - so it wouldn't account for october-january.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to prepare myself for when we are TTC? any similar experiences?

Thank you, everyone!
alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Slight concerns for the future and pregnancy.

Unread post by alym0326 »

Oh! I should add that I had blood work done in August and my doctor checked my thyroid then, and everything was normal - also, I realize I didn't explain myself very clearly - but, pretty much I've convinced myself that I'm going to struggle to conceive when the time comes due to my irregular periods/long cycles and I'm not sure of what to do next as my doctor doesn't seem to care/be concerned.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

I know you asked this awhile ago, but I'm just seeing it now.

The things to do is to keep track. WRITE IT ALL DOWN. Better yet, get the Fertility Friend app and keep track there if you can. That way, if it does turn out you have problems, you at least have a ton of information to present to the doctor.

That said, try not to worry too much about it. You aren't even TTCing yet, and there just isn't any point. You aren't considered IF until you've been ACTIVELY TRYING for 12 consecutive months (or cycles) so a doctor just isn't going to take the time to investigate further at this point without any other gynaecological concerns or symptoms.

Do you have pain at all? Is it just the long cycles? Have you had your blood glucose levels checked? These are all things that you could look into rn if you're really concerned. The other thing you can do is start taking a prenatal now. It never hurts to get an early start .

But definitely track your cycles, and take notes. If you're that concerned about it, you could always start temping in order to make sure you have at least 10 days after ovulation before your next cycle starts. Remember, the moe information the better! Seriously though, that would be getting crazy with it, and I really think it's better for your hormones to remain as calm and in control as possible. After all, you don't really have any reason to worry yet. Don't borrow trouble
Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

IF veteran here.

Even if you are not ttc, you should not go over 60 days without a period. The worry is that the lining could turn cancerous because cells are multiplying. Not trying to scare you, but it's something to consider. If you are not going that long, then I agree that it's not that important why it's happening. Definitely pay attention to other symptoms though.
Another thing to consider is that even if have some trouble conceiving, it doesn't mean that you won't have an easy solution. Plenty of women are able to conceive using just Clomid or femara without IUIs or IVF. There's no use in worrying about it until there is something to worry about.

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”