PCOS

mumma2one

PCOS

Unread post by mumma2one »

Hello Ladies :-)

I have read a few of you mention that you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.. & I would just like to know what are your symptoms? How/when did you notice you have it?

Do you skip your period every so often? Or can you go consecutive months without one?

Sorry for all the questions, just would love to hear some of your stories :-)

One last thing... does it run in your family or are you the first to have it?
thegooseiscooked

Re: PCOS

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

I have it, I'm the first in my family to be diagnosed but my mum is pretty sure she had it too.

Symptoms.....erm...I also suffer endometriosis so it's hard to separate the symptoms. Extremely painful, heavy periods. Irregular. When I was ttc-ing, I found out I only ovulate from one ovary, the left one is lazy. So I was only ovulating every second month despite the fact that I would get a period every month. Didn't make sense. PMT symptoms such as heavy, sore boobs, ovary cramping, mood swings, pimples etc would start 2 weeks before my period would come, then my period would last anywhere from 8 to 14 days. Heavy, heavy bleeding with clots. I would wear a super tampon and overnight pad and be soaking through both within an hour. All day, every day. I felt as weak as a lamb and had to eat heaps of red meat and take iron supplements for anaemia.

So 3 weeks out of every month I'd be miserable.

My cycles could be anywhere from 20 days to 60 days. It was impossible to follow any sort of pattern.

Was put on birth control pill but couldn't handle the hormones, it make me an angry, aggressive mess of a woman and, although I didn't get a period whilst on it, I still suffered all the symptoms. So I gave that up and just put up with it. I was told to lose weight, I did but it didn't help.

I never really suffered excessive hair but I am fair so maybe that's why.

I was told I wouldn't be able to conceive without help. Well, I did. Twice, with the help of a laparoscopy both times.So nyah nyah nyah to that doctor.

I speak in the past tense because the symptoms totally went away after the birth of my second child. I now have a perfect 28 day cycle, still on the heavy side but much more manageable and little pain. Go figure.
thegooseiscooked

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention, when I say ovary cramping, I mean really painful cramping. Like curled up on the bathroom floor, sweating, crying and shaking. I thought I was dying.
mumma2one

thegooseiscooked wrote:I have it, I'm the first in my family to be diagnosed but my mum is pretty sure she had it too.

Symptoms.....erm...I also suffer endometriosis so it's hard to separate the symptoms. Extremely painful, heavy periods. Irregular. When I was ttc-ing, I found out I only ovulate from one ovary, the left one is lazy. So I was only ovulating every second month despite the fact that I would get a period every month. Didn't make sense. PMT symptoms such as heavy, sore boobs, ovary cramping, mood swings, pimples etc would start 2 weeks before my period would come, then my period would last anywhere from 8 to 14 days. Heavy, heavy bleeding with clots. I would wear a super tampon and overnight pad and be soaking through both within an hour. All day, every day. I felt as weak as a lamb and had to eat heaps of red meat and take iron supplements for anaemia.

So 3 weeks out of every month I'd be miserable.

My cycles could be anywhere from 20 days to 60 days. It was impossible to follow any sort of pattern.

Was put on birth control pill but couldn't handle the hormones, it make me an angry, aggressive mess of a woman and, although I didn't get a period whilst on it, I still suffered all the symptoms. So I gave that up and just put up with it. I was told to lose weight, I did but it didn't help.

I never really suffered excessive hair but I am fair so maybe that's why.

I was told I wouldn't be able to conceive without help. Well, I did. Twice, with the help of a laparoscopy both times.So nyah nyah nyah to that doctor.

I speak in the past tense because the symptoms totally went away after the birth of my second child. I now have a perfect 28 day cycle, still on the heavy side but much more manageable and little pain. Go figure.

Oh wow, thank you so much for taking the time to respond :-)

Im sorry that you had a hard time but at least you are no longer going through all that :-)

My periods have been irregular for awhile now, I had my son last year in May & went on The Pill in June/July I believe but after about four or so months I stopped taking it as I didn't think it was good for my body to miss days as I was horrible for remembering & no matter what I did to remind
myself it just did not work!

My period was late one month after stopping the Pill which is to be expected then became regular for a few months until about June or July & became irregular again, anywhere from 40-46 days apart... My last period was on the 29th of August & when I got my period that month I had barely any period cramps like I normally would...
. So till this day still no Period just cramping every now & then... I have thought maybe I could have an Ovarian Cyst as I've had sharp pains a couple of times :-/
But the only way to know is to go to the doctors, which I dread!!

I've even thought maybe I have PCOS, as I don't think I ovulate every month :-(
I have asked my mum if it runs in the family but she doesn't think it does, I am not sure if it runs on my dads side though..

Am hoping to TTC in a year or two, but I think I may have hard time doing so.... I have a docs appt tomorrow so will discuss whats been going on with me then...
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by subject99 »

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009. But I was experiencingthe pain and everything for years prior to finally being diagnosed.
I had massive irregular periods. They would last only 1-3 days and only come ever so often. I honestly couldn't keep track. They would come whenever they wanted too. Id have to say every 2 months I would for sure get a 3 day period. I had an ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound done to confirm I did indeed have cysts on my ovaries. My hormones were also off balance. I was also diagnosed with cervical dysplasia as well in 2009 and had to have biopsy done on my cervix as well. Symptoms I had were irregular period, hormones were off, cramps (even during sex). I was told I could never have children...and 2 months after I was told this I was pregnant with my son. But I didn't know until I was 3 months. I got the normal "periods" (that were normal for me) in jan,feb and march. Now see I also have TMJ so I was one lots of pain meds. I was still taking my oxy's in jan, feb and march. Once I found out end of march I stopped taking them of course. My doctor was even shocked I was pregnant considering all the cyst I had. I was in a car accident when I was 25 weeks? I cant remember but it was in July. I was contracting and they gave me that shot that would help develop his lungs. Luckily he didn't come. But he got stuck in my ribs. His head was literally in my ribs and his butt was at my belly button. I tried everything to get him to turn. My doctor even tried to turn him with her hands and monitoring with the ultrasound machine. It was done 2 weeks before due date to be safe. He didn't move, not one bit, nothing happened so no emergency c-section. But I will still scheduled for one on October 6th (which was moved to October 4th). I go in for my c-section and my son is born (yay!) she also was going to remove some of the cyst...well low and behold, they had diminished. Long story short I ended up getting pregnant again and had my wee little princess in 2012 =]
mumma2one

Thank you both for your responses :-)

I am sorry for the road you both have been down & the amount of pain you have endured but am very happy that you both proved the doctors wrong & have been blessed with little miracles :-)

I went to the doctors today & have a referall to get blood taken & an U/S to see if I also have PCOS or just have irregular periods..
thegooseiscooked

Good luck xxx

I think the message here is it is easy for a doctor to say you'll never get pregnant but find a doctor who isn't so negative and believes in exploring all options. It isn't impossible. Challenging yes. Impossible no.
busybuyingbins
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by busybuyingbins »

i was diagnosed with pcos a few years ago (maybe 4 or 5) and although i have not had kids nor am trying to have kids anytime soon it sucks.

the side effects/ symptoms are what is annoying the most.
my periods never come when they're supposed to, so its always a surprise when it happens. then when i have it the first week its like a lot of spotting and very light then, it gets very heavy for about 3 or 4 days then lasts 3 or 4 more days after that. so annoying.
i don't always get cramps (thank god) but when i do they're pretty bad, but not as bad as others.
i have a TON of facial hair, it's very very very annoying. it grows back so fast too.
i have the worst trouble trying to lose weight. that's is one of my biggest things with pcos. it's so tough, i gain weight very easily and quickly too.
i used to get very bad acne from it too but that has gone down. i usually only break out during my period or right before its going to come.
then i also get depressed from it, used to more when i was diagnosed but still frequently do get depressed and i get mood swings a lot too.

its all very frustrating and i wish this on nobody because it's such a sucky thing to go through.
i just hope down the road i don't have issues with trying to have a baby, although my doctor did say that it would be possible with help so i'm not too worried about that or anything.

i'm glad you guys were all able to have children though! :)
formerly known as ashhbby.
thegooseiscooked

Yeah, the worst bit (apart from pain obviously) is not knowing when my period was coming.

So often I would be caught out wearing white pants or something and when mine comes, I lose like 1/2 cup instantly. Complete flooding. Quite embarrassing. So I just basically wear pads or tampons most of the time, no matter whether I have my period or not.
busybuyingbins
Gossiper
Gossiper

thegooseiscooked wrote:Yeah, the worst bit (apart from pain obviously) is not knowing when my period was coming.

So often I would be caught out wearing white pants or something and when mine comes, I lose like 1/2 cup instantly. Complete flooding. Quite embarrassing. So I just basically wear pads or tampons most of the time, no matter whether I have my period or not.
i used to do it all the time! but it got so annoying and such a waste of pads that i just stopped. i wish i could actually know when i was going to start at the right time every month though. so annoying
AuntieToABabyBoy:)
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by AuntieToABabyBoy:) »

Facial hair, acne, irregular periods, etc. I was TTC for a long time with no success. I don't even think I am ovulating :( if so, I have no idea when I do. I weigh 180lbs so I am going to try the hcg diet and hopefully when I lose weight I can conceive:)
Being a auntie is the best gift in the world and when I become a mother my life would be perfect <3 :)
mumma2one

AuntieToABabyBoy:) wrote:Facial hair, acne, irregular periods, etc. I was TTC for a long time with no success. I don't even think I am ovulating :( if so, I have no idea when I do. I weigh 180lbs so I am going to try the hcg diet and hopefully when I lose weight I can conceive:)

Good luck to you :-)
Sending baby dust your way!

What is the HCG diet?
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Its droplets that are designed to help you lose 1-2 pounds a day but you have to follow the diet. It sounds to good to be true and you can only intake 500 calories a day. I just recently heard about it.
Being a auntie is the best gift in the world and when I become a mother my life would be perfect <3 :)
thegooseiscooked

You'd lose more than that weight without even taking the drops on 500 calories a day. There's no way in hell you'll be able to stick to that. You'll lose a lot of weight fast, feel weak and then have a blow out and put on more weight than you lost.

That sounds unhealthy and dangerous. You need at least 1200 calories a day.

Eat healthy - lots of veggies and fresh, lean meat, chicken and fish. Cut back a bit on bread and potatoes. Avoid sugary, fatty foods. Exercise more. You'll lose weight.
mumma2one

Yeah I agree with Goosie,
For long term you need something healthy & you can stick to, especially if you do plan on being pregnant.

Its more about eating right, it is really the food that causes weight gain , exercising obviously plays a big part too but we really are what we eat...

Good luck with all & take care of yourself :-)
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Yeah that's true I was like 500 calories? That's not healthy at all
thegooseiscooked

And forget the drops, you won't need them and they're probably just pure caffeine.
busybuyingbins
Gossiper
Gossiper

if you really want to loose weight you can try to go to a weight loss clinic. you have to have a good diet and exercise to go along side with whatever kind of thing you choose. but it has REALLY helped me. since pcos makes it so difficult to lose weight, i tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked. this is the only thing that has worked for me.
it just helps you actually lose weight while still maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I have a friend who is on the hcg diet and she startedit 9/18 and by 9/24 she lost 9 lbs which is so insane and ashbyyy I will try that :) Who ever knew that conceiving a child would be so hard? :(.
thegooseiscooked

I've been to weight watchers in the past. Normal food, it's just about controlling portions and understanding that what goes in needs to be balanced by energy going out.

It was a fantastic experience, at the meetings it is very friendly. I still have friends from WW that I still walk with and I was there....15 years ago? Weight is still off. Can't rave about it enough.

Return to “Health”