Broken leg woes and sudden extreme pain

blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Broken leg woes and sudden extreme pain

Unread post by blackbetty »

Anyone ever have a similar injury an experience? This sucks. Warning: LONGGGG

So a lot of you know I was in a car accident back in January and broke my leg. I didn't break my talus (actual ankle bone) but I broke my tibia at the ankle joint and severely dislocated it and splintered my fibula above the ankle joint and tore all the ligaments in my ankle. (Fun note, this is the same leg in which I damn near got my toe cut off back on christmas 2013 if any of you OGs remember that - for newbs, there's a thread about it in general with the pics) I figured I'd be in a cast for 6 wks and on crutches then be fine cause that's what they do for broken bones, right? WRONG!

So in the ER, they said I needed surgery but I was too swollen and their staff orthopaedist was on vacation and I'd need to find one so they manipulated my ankle back into place the best they could and put me in a splint. It was almost 2 wks before I was able to get my surgery done on 1/22 and I got an incision on the outside of my ankle about 6" long. I got a metal plate, 6 regular screws, one really long syndesmosis screw, and 28 stitches and left in another splint. I was in excruciating sobbing and moaning pain for about a week then started improving.

At 3 wks post op they removed the splint and stitches and my xrays looked good so they put me in a fracture boot and ordered me to stay non weight bearing til my next appointment in 6 wks. I had that appointment on the 24th and my doctor said my xrays looked good but he was planning to keep me non weight bearing for 3 more weeks. I started crying and told him I'm a single mom who can't work or drive or take care of my kids or even sleep in my own bed. Because he was happy with my xray, he said I could start weaning off my crutches and to wear the boot for 4 more weeks then "toss it". Then said I could practice walking without it carefully indoors at home only.

A week ago Thursday I went to Walmart to get Easter stuff for my kids and walked the entire store. I left in pain and was in pain the rest of the day. I expected lingering pain for a few days but it was livable the next day and gone the second day so I assumed "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" right? And my leg needs to get stronger asap.

So since then I've been walking without the boot A LOT at home because I feel it better trains me to walk properly than the boot does. It's been going well and I've made a lot of improvement with minimal pain. This past Thursday I went grocery shopping in my boot. I was in more pain than normal walking around the store in the boot but I assumed it would be like last time.

When I got home from the store I literally could barely walk. I went from using no crutches at all to using both crutches and only bearing partial weight again - I've been full weight bearing for nearly 3 wks - taking it slow and carefully, but not having any trouble bearing weight after the first couple of days. I had to ice the shit out of my leg and soak it in Epsom salt water because it was so painful. I went back to moaning like after surgery.

I figured I'd wake up okay again on Friday but no dice. While the pain wasn't AS severe as it had been Thursday night, it was still very painful and located near the bottom of where the plate in my ankle is and EXTREMELY tender and swollen. I could barely walk and went back to crutches. I've been continuing to go without the boot in my house (especially since I was doing excellent before I wore the boot to the store Thursday) and the pain is horrible and I have no clue what could be wrong :? :(

Surely one of you out there has been through an ankle ORIF surgery and could give me some insight? I had planned to start yoga Thursday night but the pain has delayed me two days now. I'm supposed to be driving a week from Tuesday. I went out to my car today and was just pressing the pedals to see if I could and at this point I see no way I'll be able to drive in 11 days :( Would I know if I'd broken a screw or broken or dislodged my plate? Is it just nerve damage flaring up? Could it be arthritis (lots of sketchy weather lately)? Do I need to see my orthopedist next week (God I hope not)

Just feeling really down about it. One step forward and two steps back.
#FreeBen
gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Broken leg woes and sudden extreme pain

Unread post by gypsophila »

Yes, you need to see your orthopedist. :( I feel awful for you. I don't have experience with your surgery, but I know how horrifically painful it is. My daughter broke her ankle, just a simple fracture, and to be honest, her foot has always had trouble afterward. I think you need new x-rays at least. You shouldn't be driving until you know for sure.

I have really bad arthritis in my right foot and heel. When it flares up, I can barely walk. Going down stairs is impossible. I can't drive with it, because obviously I can't count on that foot if I need to brake suddenly. But it comes and goes. You might develop arthritis in that ankle, but it wouldn't happen this quickly I don't think. I wish I could help more. You have your hands so full! Take care, and please post progress? Sending you healing thoughts.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”- Buddha
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Ugh I think I'm in denial about it right now. It was better when I got up Saturday, but still pretty painful. I don't even really know how to explain what causes the pain. It's not a range of motion issue or a weightbearing issue. It happens at some point midstep and also hurts if I lift my leg a certain way. I don't know. Ugh. My screws are bruising my leg from the inside (have several bruises along my incision) I've been massaging my incision with bio oil to help with the scar but also to prevent adhesions to the plate cause that could be a problem. I'm just stumped as to why I started having trouble AFTER wearing the boot. I really want to start my yoga though to strengthen my leg up to drive.

Honestly I'm going to drive asap. But I do live in a rural area and have a great insurance policy. We also have a ton of land so I'm gonna be able to practice driving on our property before I take off on the roads.
My mom keeps telling me to just drive with 2 feet.

I'm wondering if I should talk to my orthopaedist and ask for physical therapy. Not sure if my insurance will cover it or if I need a referral or what. I also need to file paperwork for a temporary handicap placard cause I've fpund that I will probably limp for at least a few months :(
#FreeBen
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Just an update, it feels 10000x better today omg
#FreeBen

Return to “Health”