Ovarian Cyst Experience? (possible surgery)

jitterbug
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ovarian Cyst Experience? (possible surgery)

Unread post by jitterbug »

I'm 19 years old. While having an IUD removed, I had an ultrasound and discovered I had an abnormally large ovarian cyst

I was put on birth control pills for 3 months in hopes that the cyst would shrink in size. 3 months has passed and my next ultrasound is on the 12th.
Except, I still have sharp pain where my ovarian cyst is. Is this a sign that the size of the cyst has not improved?
If not, then it's probable that I'll need surgery as the doctor had noted my cyst was quite large.

It's also scary not knowing whether the cyst will burst on its own (i've been told the larger the cyst, the more painful it will be if it ruptured)

I have never had surgery and I am very scared, is there still a chance that I can shrink the cyst and avoid surgery
Luv2WatchYT
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ovarian Cyst Experience? (possible surgery)

Unread post by Luv2WatchYT »

jitterbug wrote:I'm 19 years old. While having an IUD removed, I had an ultrasound and discovered I had an abnormally large ovarian cyst

I was put on birth control pills for 3 months in hopes that the cyst would shrink in size. 3 months has passed and my next ultrasound is on the 12th.
Except, I still have sharp pain where my ovarian cyst is. Is this a sign that the size of the cyst has not improved?
If not, then it's probable that I'll need surgery as the doctor had noted my cyst was quite large.

It's also scary not knowing whether the cyst will burst on its own (i've been told the larger the cyst, the more painful it will be if it ruptured)

I have never had surgery and I am very scared, is there still a chance that I can shrink the cyst and avoid surgery
There is a good chance the cyst could shrink but if you're still having a good bit of pain, it may not have. I had a grapefruit sized cyst when I was your age and ended up having surgery bc it was twisting my ovary. I had an open laparoscopy with removal of my tube and ovary and it went very well, very little pain and a fast recovery. The only reason it was open is bc I had numerous past abdominal surgeries. A couple years later I had a large cyst rupture with blood and had another surgery, which also went very well. I have polycycstic ovaries so this was a constant problem for me with ruptured cysts and such but don't worry, the surgeries really aren't bad at all.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions u may have!

Return to “Health”