JesssFam: Tis the Season for NuhNuhs (Part 81)

MamaJoAnna
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

JesssFam: Tis the Season for NuhNuhs (Part 81)

Unread post by MamaJoAnna »

Title credit: pllfan5
Part 80: http://ytmommadrama.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=10172

Previously:
-We "met" Addelyn (again)
-Jess posted her L&D story (current discussion)
-New (quick) intro (according to comments, a more elaborate one is planned a few months from now)

Continue. :)
RIP Dad - 09/30/2017 :angel:
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Been thanked: 0

Re: JesssFam: Tis the Season for NuhNuhs (Part 81)

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Do women really spend two hours actively pushing sometimes?!?

I can understand how the doctor's comment would have really hurt Jess after she had just had a homebirth. Like maybe she should have waited until Jess was in a less emotionally fragile state to discuss something like that.
smom12
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by smom12 »

fossilfinger wrote:Do women really spend two hours actively pushing sometimes?!?

Absolutely. I did with my first for 2 solid hours before the doc came in and said my son wouldn't fit thru my pelvis, his head kept banging against my pelvic bone and he had cephalohematoma. I was so exhausted I was happy I was going for a c section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marshmellow
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by marshmellow »

Yes ! Pushing can take that long ! Which can include several practice pushes. Personal - With my first the baby's head was kind of tilted so I had to do several pushes to fix it and several more to push the baby out. The whole process was around 2 hours. I was in the verge of having a emergency C section and had a back labor which hurt like a bitch. But thank goodness he baby came out fine and healthy !

O God Jess and her Google research. I had to fast forward SO much.
imapumkinseed
Informer
Informer

Unread post by imapumkinseed »

So why was Jess high risk this time? I'll agree that her midwife is a quack IF she took on a high risk patient for a homebirth, that would be so irresponsible. The only issues I knew of were the diastasis rectii and varicose veins, neither of which would make someone high risk.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
purplerain55
Informer
Informer

Unread post by purplerain55 »

A bit late but...am I the only one who is kind of glad the baby was a girl? I would have been happy either way, but it's more interesting to watch/talk about now after three boys.
dranya
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by dranya »

imapumkinseed wrote:So why was Jess high risk this time? I'll agree that her midwife is a quack IF she took on a high risk patient for a homebirth, that would be so irresponsible. The only issues I knew of were the diastasis rectii and varicose veins, neither of which would make someone high risk.

Basically because of the number of pregnancies she's had in a short space of time, one of which was a twin pregnancy. Some would consider her high-risk and others wouldn't, but I don't think any sensible medical professional would call her 'low-risk' or safe for a home birth. The more pregnancies you have, the higher your risk of a postpartum haemorrhage. This is related to the number of times the uterus has been stretched out by a pregnancy, which can impair it's ability to contract properly after deliver, leading to excess bleeding. Since one of her pregnancies was a twin pregnancy which was carried to term, this adds to this risk even more.

She was also at higher risk of a retained placenta due to her uterine abnormality, but nobody knew about that before this delivery.
dranya
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by dranya »

I posted this in the old topic by accident, so reposting here. She is definitely high-risk now if she had any more pregnancies (which she shouldn't, but that's never stopped her before). Sorry for long post, her stupidity just made me need to rant.

Jess is an idiot. Everything she credited to her midwives/homebirth was completely fabricated in her head because she wants to defend her quack of a midwife and decision to have a homebirth at all costs. She said her midwives managed to stop her bleeding, and then transferring her to hospital gave her uterus enough time to relax for the placenta to come out without a d&c. That makes zero sense. The midwives stopped her bleeding with pitocin, which makes her uterus contract. That's how it works. It's the same drug used to induce labour, by causing the uterus to contract. Crediting her midwives with stopping her bleeding and also allowing her uterus to relax is impossible, as there is nothing that midwife could have done to stop her bleeding that wouldn't have also made her uterus contract. What probably actually happened is that the midwife used pitocin to sufficiently control her bleeding until she got to hospital, but was unable to manually remove the placenta herself. Jess then got to hospital and was treated by an OB with proper training and far more experience than a quack midwife who only does the occasional homebirth, and that doctor actually had the skills to manually remove the placenta that the midwife didn't. That is what saved Jess from having the d&c - she finally got treated by an actual professional with some training and experience.

Even if she had delivered in hospital and had gone straight for a d&c - yes it's a general anaesthetic that she could have avoided, but it is not an invasive surgery as Jess seemed to imply. It's something that absolutely could be done with the patient awake, but it is done under general anaesthetic to save the patient from pain/trauma. It would still have been a far better option than her bleeding to death at home. Anyone in their right mind would rather have a postpartum haemorrhage in a hospital where there is access to IV fluids, emergency blood transfusions, emergency surgery etc available to save your life if necessary, rather than haemorrhaging at home where there is very little that can be done in a hurry. Jess is very lucky that the midwife's one shot of pitocin was enough to control her bleeding.

That doctor's comments to Jess were potentially a little out of line, but lets face it, Jess is going to take offence at anyone who criticises her decision to have a homebirth. The doctor was also completely right in that Jess should absolutely NOT have another home birth if she does have anymore children. Contrary to what a lot of people on here seem to think, she wasn't actually low risk for this pregnancy. But for any future pregnancies she is a grand multigravida, who now has a known uterine abnormality plus a history of postpartum haemorrhage and retained placenta. If any midwife considered her safe for another home birth they should be banned from practicing. But Jess is going to call anyone who tries to tell her that rude and unprofessional, because her google searches have taught her all there is to know about pregnancy and childbirth.
babyfox
Informer
Informer

Unread post by babyfox »

dranya wrote:I posted this in the old topic by accident, so reposting here. She is definitely high-risk now if she had any more pregnancies (which she shouldn't, but that's never stopped her before). Sorry for long post, her stupidity just made me need to rant.

Jess is an idiot. Everything she credited to her midwives/homebirth was completely fabricated in her head because she wants to defend her quack of a midwife and decision to have a homebirth at all costs. She said her midwives managed to stop her bleeding, and then transferring her to hospital gave her uterus enough time to relax for the placenta to come out without a d&c. That makes zero sense. The midwives stopped her bleeding with pitocin, which makes her uterus contract. That's how it works. It's the same drug used to induce labour, by causing the uterus to contract. Crediting her midwives with stopping her bleeding and also allowing her uterus to relax is impossible, as there is nothing that midwife could have done to stop her bleeding that wouldn't have also made her uterus contract. What probably actually happened is that the midwife used pitocin to sufficiently control her bleeding until she got to hospital, but was unable to manually remove the placenta herself. Jess then got to hospital and was treated by an OB with proper training and far more experience than a quack midwife who only does the occasional homebirth, and that doctor actually had the skills to manually remove the placenta that the midwife didn't. That is what saved Jess from having the d&c - she finally got treated by an actual professional with some training and experience.

Even if she had delivered in hospital and had gone straight for a d&c - yes it's a general anaesthetic that she could have avoided, but it is not an invasive surgery as Jess seemed to imply. It's something that absolutely could be done with the patient awake, but it is done under general anaesthetic to save the patient from pain/trauma. It would still have been a far better option than her bleeding to death at home. Anyone in their right mind would rather have a postpartum haemorrhage in a hospital where there is access to IV fluids, emergency blood transfusions, emergency surgery etc available to save your life if necessary, rather than haemorrhaging at home where there is very little that can be done in a hurry. Jess is very lucky that the midwife's one shot of pitocin was enough to control her bleeding.

That doctor's comments to Jess were potentially a little out of line, but lets face it, Jess is going to take offence at anyone who criticises her decision to have a homebirth. The doctor was also completely right in that Jess should absolutely NOT have another home birth if she does have anymore children. Contrary to what a lot of people on here seem to think, she wasn't actually low risk for this pregnancy. But for any future pregnancies she is a grand multigravida, who now has a known uterine abnormality plus a history of postpartum haemorrhage and retained placenta. If any midwife considered her safe for another home birth they should be banned from practicing. But Jess is going to call anyone who tries to tell her that rude and unprofessional, because her google searches have taught her all there is to know about pregnancy and childbirth.
My thoughts exactly, but you put them much more eloquently than I did haha.

What's terrifying is that Jess will probably have a homebirth for #6 (let's be real, it will happen unless she gets her tubes tied), because in her mind she's better than any medical professional since she has access to the internet and a hoard of 13 year old girls who worship her. I think she'll have trouble finding a midwife who will be willing to do a homebirth with her, so I wonder if she would be reckless enough to do an unassisted birth.
imapumkinseed
Informer
Informer

A fourth pregnancy isn't high risk where I live. That might be different other places. I agree that now she's grand multipara and at higher risk of retained placenta, and needs to deliver in a hospital in the future. This last blog didn't mention anything about this being the last baby, I'm losing faith in her being "done." Maybe Chris is wearing her down, I know he wants more... sigh

smom12
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by smom12 »

imapumkinseed wrote:A fourth pregnancy isn't high risk where I live. That might be different other places. I agree that now she's grand multipara and at higher risk of retained placenta, and needs to deliver in a hospital in the future. This last blog didn't mention anything about this being the last baby, I'm losing faith in her being "done." Maybe Chris is wearing her down, I know he wants more... sigh

Ugh I can totally hear it now. "Cmon let's have another one.... Addie is so perfect I just want more like her!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dranya
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by dranya »

babyfox wrote:
dranya wrote:I posted this in the old topic by accident, so reposting here. She is definitely high-risk now if she had any more pregnancies (which she shouldn't, but that's never stopped her before). Sorry for long post, her stupidity just made me need to rant.

My thoughts exactly, but you put them much more eloquently than I did haha.

What's terrifying is that Jess will probably have a homebirth for #6 (let's be real, it will happen unless she gets her tubes tied), because in her mind she's better than any medical professional since she has access to the internet and a hoard of 13 year old girls who worship her. I think she'll have trouble finding a midwife who will be willing to do a homebirth with her, so I wonder if she would be reckless enough to do an unassisted birth.
The scary thing is, I actually can imagine Jess' same midwife delivering her again, and Jess saying something like "I wouldn't trust anyone else to deliver my baby after she saved my life last time"
Casse
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Casse »

Is it me or does she hold Baby Number 5/7 awkwardly? Like she doesn't support Addelyn's head correctly and it's just sorta wobbling around and in the way she holds her like Addelyn is constantly on display.
imapumkinseed
Informer
Informer

Casse wrote:Is it me or does she hold Baby Number 5/7 awkwardly? Like she doesn't support Addelyn's head correctly and it's just sorta wobbling around and in the way she holds her like Addelyn is constantly on display.
It's not just you. I was thinking in the last video, she's holding her like you would a 4 month old, not a 2 week old. Jess thinks she has this amazing head control and can sit up on her lap like an older baby... to the rest of the world it just looks wobbly and dangerous.
juststardust
Talker
Talker

Unread post by juststardust »

Long time lurker, first time poster on Jess's thread. I'm just curious to see why many of you don't seem to value midwives as medical professionals when in the U.S. you need to go through nursing school and become and RN before getting your masters in midwifery which clearly shows that it requires a lot of skill to be a midwife. And in places such as Canada and England you need at least a bachelors which clearly shows that it involves a lot of education and not just some random online certification as many people have mentioned on here and made fun of. Where do people get the idea that all you need is an online certification?? Are those even valid?? :?

I am by no means defending Jess as I do believe she has a big ego and questionable parenting skills but how is the midwife a "quack" or unqualified to deliver someone's baby if it's her profession? I'll admit I don't watch Jess often and am unaware of her midwife's qualifications but if she really did do everything listed above to become a certified midwife then she is by no means unqualified. Also the doctors and paramedics sounded completely unprofessional, regardless of whether or not Jess was acting some sort of way that's no way to speak to a woman who has just given birth seeing as they are the professionals and their job is to save people's lives, not shame them for their own personal choices. If they really wished to discourage home births then they shouldn't be so rude and definitely should make an effort to accommodate women's birthing plans in hospital so that more women are inclined to birth in a hospital. I definitely think there should be a balance. And oh my god, I hope Jess doesn't have anymore kids but who knows if she will seeing as it's well... Jess. And we all know she'd be dumb enough to request another home birth in spite of the fact that that birth would definitely be categorised as being high risk. :|
imapumkinseed
Informer
Informer

juststardust wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster on Jess's thread. I'm just curious to see why many of you don't seem to value midwives as medical professionals when in the U.S. you need to go through nursing school and become and RN before getting your masters in midwifery which clearly shows that it requires a lot of skill to be a midwife. And in places such as Canada and England you need at least a bachelors which clearly shows that it involves a lot of education and not just some random online certification as many people have mentioned on here and made fun of. Where do people get the idea that all you need is an online certification?? Are those even valid?? :?
I agree 100% with the rest of your post but there are such things here as "direct entry" midwives who do not necessarily hold a college degree, nursing or otherwise. They are illegal in some states but legal in others. There are many different kinds of programs for certification - I'm sure some are online. Personally I'd only use a CNM, they're VERY highly qualified and a wonderful resource. It's a shame that the shady under-educated midwives give them all a bad name in some people's minds.
luci417
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by luci417 »

fossilfinger wrote:Do women really spend two hours actively pushing sometimes?!?

I can understand how the doctor's comment would have really hurt Jess after she had just had a homebirth. Like maybe she should have waited until Jess was in a less emotionally fragile state to discuss something like that.
I feel like maybe the doctor could have been a bit more gentle but honestly...this IS why they don't advocate home births. It's great that jess's midwives knew when to turn things over to the doctors but she herself said that was a best case scenario. I think the standards a person has to meet to become a midwife in some states is woefully low, at the very least you should have to be a registered nurse. I hate the idea that hugely under-qualified women can legally call themselves midwives and deliver babies. Even during a normal birth there are times when your life is pretty much in the hands of the person delivering your baby and if there are complications that's doubly true. i don't know if i (or my husband) could make a difficult medical decision when i'm in advanced labour so it's basically up to the doctor or midwife. you're placing a LOT of trust in someone to make the right call, and if they're not qualified you or your baby could easily die. I'm willing to bet that doctor had seen some home birth situations where things went a lot worse because of bad midwives. it seems like jess's midwife was really sketchy and maybe the doctor was hoping to scare some sense into her.

I think birthing centres are a great compromise between hospitals and homebirths. My first was in a hospital and i had a pretty good experience. I understand that not everyone can say that and things like drs pushing for unnecessary c-sections are horrible but I don't think home births are a good idea. Even the best midwife in the world can't do shit for you if things go seriously wrong very suddenly (and yeah, sometimes they do), plus there's a lot less technology available to check for problems. Why would you voluntarily place yourself far away from real medical help? when I'm giving birth I want doctors on hand in case something goes wrong. I would never risk my baby because I think I know better than people who actually went to med school. i don't mean to be disrespectful to people who have had home births or plan to. i hope that if you do choose this route, you have a back up plan so that you can quickly reach a hospital or birthing centre for emergency care if needed.
"This is the most ghetto shit I've ever seen in my life."
Rihanna
atr1252
Informer
Informer

Unread post by atr1252 »

I pushed for 8 hours with my first. Yeah you read that right. 8 freaking hours. Ended in a csection because I couldn't do it anymore. With my second I pushed for 3 hours and out he came. Definitely possible to push. And I agrew, pushing sucks worse then the labor itself lol

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
luci417
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by luci417 »

atr1252 wrote:

I pushed for 8 hours with my first. Yeah you read that right. 8 freaking hours. Ended in a csection because I couldn't do it anymore. With my second I pushed for 3 hours and out he came. Definitely possible to push. And I agrew, pushing sucks worse then the labor itself lol

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
\

oh my god you're a superhero! i'm lucky like jess, i guess, i only had to push for maybe 20 minutes with some pain relief and it was excruciating. there's no way i could've done even an hour, never mind three or even eight! props to you and i'm amazed you managed to stick it out that long.

edit: now i'm terrified with this one that i'll have to push for longer so keep you fingers crossed its like a slip and slide since it's my second. here's hoping it's a shorter labour too (i was stuck at 6cm dilated for nearly 5 hours last time!).
"This is the most ghetto shit I've ever seen in my life."
Rihanna
dranya
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by dranya »

juststardust wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster on Jess's thread. I'm just curious to see why many of you don't seem to value midwives as medical professionals when in the U.S. you need to go through nursing school and become and RN before getting your masters in midwifery which clearly shows that it requires a lot of skill to be a midwife. And in places such as Canada and England you need at least a bachelors which clearly shows that it involves a lot of education and not just some random online certification as many people have mentioned on here and made fun of. Where do people get the idea that all you need is an online certification?? Are those even valid?? :?

I am by no means defending Jess as I do believe she has a big ego and questionable parenting skills but how is the midwife a "quack" or unqualified to deliver someone's baby if it's her profession? I'll admit I don't watch Jess often and am unaware of her midwife's qualifications but if she really did do everything listed above to become a certified midwife then she is by no means unqualified. Also the doctors and paramedics sounded completely unprofessional, regardless of whether or not Jess was acting some sort of way that's no way to speak to a woman who has just given birth seeing as they are the professionals and their job is to save people's lives, not shame them for their own personal choices. If they really wished to discourage home births then they shouldn't be so rude and definitely should make an effort to accommodate women's birthing plans in hospital so that more women are inclined to birth in a hospital. I definitely think there should be a balance. And oh my god, I hope Jess doesn't have anymore kids but who knows if she will seeing as it's well... Jess. And we all know she'd be dumb enough to request another home birth in spite of the fact that that birth would definitely be categorised as being high risk. :|

I am from Australia and I certainly do value midwives as medical professionals. But in Australia, midwives do the majority of normal deliveries, so they get lots of experience managing normal deliveries and the more common complications. OBs only deliver high-risk patients, emergency complications or patients who chose a private OB and pay for it. My understanding is that in the US midwives can vary greatly in their actual qualifications... so midwives who deliver in hospital do have the qualifications you mention, and do deserve do be regarded as trained medical professionals. But I believe its also possible to practice as a midwife for deliveries outside of hospital (i.e. home births) with much less training and experience. I don't know anything about the qualifications of Jess' midwife, but from some of the things she's said I suspect she is not well-qualified and, if she is, she must have qualified a long time ago and only done sporadic home-births since then. The fact that Jess said she chose her because she charged the least of midwives in her area also suggests that she doesn't have the qualifications to be able to charge more. Jess loves her because she doesn't question or challenge her decisions and supports her misinformed beliefs.

I personally will chose to be delivered by a private OB whenever I have children. But I don't necessarily advise my friends/family to do the same... being delivered by a OB privately in Australia is often fairly expensive and definitely not always necessary, whereas being delivered by a midwife in a public hospital is free. Some midwives are extremely competent and experienced, and I would probably prefer for them to deliver my baby than some OBs. My main issue with midwives in Australia is that you don't normally get to choose your midwife, you just get whoever is rostered on and allocated to you on the day. It could be an amazing midwife with heaps of experience, or it could be a new grad midwife or a grumpy old hag who I wouldn't want anywhere near me during labour. I also prefer the security of knowing I have an OB present in case anything does go wrong. If I knew I was going to have a perfectly normal delivery AND i got to choose who my midwife would be, then I would most certainly trust a midwife with my delivery.

Return to “JesssFam”