natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

Unread post by natalka81 »

actuallydear wrote:
marshmallowfluf wrote:doesn't matter if you are late, miss days etc.
Ha! Perfect for their laziness and for Ollie's filming schedule.

Ollie: Momma, school today with Pey?
Missy: *ignores while looking at phone*
Ollie: Dadda, go to school today?
Bryan: No way, bruh! We are going to the waterpark so you can go through the tunnel! How super rad is that?

Later that day...
Johnson fam: How was school today kids?
Johnson kids: it was fun, we learned new things and played with our friends!

Bryan: Ollie, it's time to end the vlog.
Ollie: *passed out in toy room in front of movie* bye....boooooo......
Bryan: ....P!

Bryan: *adds final touches to tomorrow's vlog*
"Preschooler trapped in a waterpark"
This post was made all the more amusing for me because I was reading it while today's vlog was playing in the background. So I was reading this, and hearing, "What's up, dude? D'you sleep good?" at the same time.
Edenberry
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Edenberry »

usernamessuck wrote:
Edenberry wrote:
Edenberry wrote:
Last thing and I'm done, I promise. I'd rather keep him with his current group of preschool friends, rather than him repeat Kindergarten and lose those friends. It's a gamble either way with keeping the same group of classmates.
Maybe it's just different in my state, but the birthday cut off is in October. So, holding back a child whose birthday is in July is odd to me because it's usually the september/October kids that get held back. So, to me, a child with a 5th birthday in July is ready for kindergarten. He would be at most 3 months older than the youngest in his class. But, I know every state is different.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yup, our cutoff is September 1st, but school starts on August 15th, so he'll be super young. There will be kids who may be a full year older than him, and that's huge.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

There is nothing wrong with holding a child back if you feel they need the extra year to develop and be ready, but let's be honest here.... a lot of why Ollie is behind is because his parents don't teach him anything. What is another year really going to do but make him fall more behind and allow them to not step it up and engage with him developmentally and educationally. It's already clear that they aren't going to take school seriously, and Oliver needs it more than most kids! It's very sad to me to see how far ahead of Ollie my almost 3 yo is verbally, intellectually, etc. I don't work with him everyday, and a lot of his development has come just from us talking to him. Maybe Ollie just isn't a natural learner, but I'm very concerned for him. Others say he's bright, but I can't see it. He has lazy parents for sure, but he also should have at least picked up a few things (like colours or ABcs) along the way by now. He needs education and parental involvement to catch up... not an extra year of his parents being flakey, taking him to school late, giving him days off, etc.
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

Ollie doesn't seem ready for school at this stage, because his parents hold him back from any sort of growth.

Once he's in a learning environment he may go leaps and bounds and absolutely flourish.

You can tell he's a bright and curious little kid, but it's his lazy parents letting him down. I have no doubt in my mind if his parents worked with him like C&K interact with Gaines, we would all be in awe of his precociousness like we are with Gaines.

So, at this point it's all about weighing up whether 1: he will be better off at home for another year with *them* and likely doing everything he's doing now - nothing? Or 2: in the school system possibly struggling?
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

HelloSweetie wrote:There is nothing wrong with holding a child back if you feel they need the extra year to develop and be ready, but let's be honest here.... a lot of why Ollie is behind is because his parents don't teach him anything. What is another year really going to do but make him fall more behind and allow them to not step it up and engage with him developmentally and educationally. It's already clear that they aren't going to take school seriously, and Oliver needs it more than most kids! It's very sad to me to see how far ahead of Ollie my almost 3 yo is verbally, intellectually, etc. I don't work with him everyday, and a lot of his development has come just from us talking to him. Maybe Ollie just isn't a natural learner, but I'm very concerned for him. Others say he's bright, but I can't see it. He has lazy parents for sure, but he also should have at least picked up a few things (like colours or ABcs) along the way by now. He needs education and parental involvement to catch up... not an extra year of his parents being flakey, taking him to school late, giving him days off, etc.
I didn't see your post before I posted mine, and they started off the same but ended up with some differing opinions. Have we ever seen any educational toys? Even shows like Sesame Street, or The Wiggles - which are (last time I checked) education orientated shows. Ever even heard Missy or Bryan count with him, or do ABCs? Draw? Colour? Paint? Build with wooden blocks? Magnets? Puzzles? Stickers? If they did any of this, we would have seen evidence by now - both in vlogs as it happened or in the background, but especially in Oliver. Nothin' but radio silence.

They don't engage, and neither does he. They talk at him, not with him.

How is he supposed to pick it up if he's not exposed to any of this stuff? He doesn't go to friends houses for play dates, he is with his parents 95% of the time, and the rest of it he's with Mimi and Papa. Papa seems to be ok with him in terms of play, but I don't know how much of it is learn-through-play and stuff he can actually use VS. "here's a lizard. Come and touch it!" Suzanne IMO is the original Missy. And I'll leave it at that.
Baconsgirl

Unread post by Baconsgirl »

Edenberry wrote:
usernamessuck wrote:As an educator, i was appalled at today's vlog. They made it way too easy to find Ollie school. I mean the big old mural with the mascot on it? Seriously? Does your child's privacy just not concern you?

Then missy goes on this whole speech about how it's only prek, and they might hold him back. They can take him in late and check him out early. The whole point of preschool is to teach young children how to act in a classroom. How to report on time, and sit when someone is talking. People who constantly take their kids out of class or show up late only further prove how very little they value their child's education. Let me tell you, we are highly aware of who is always late. We know who checks their kids out for ridiculous reasons. We know who the difficult families are, and the thing with private school is.....we don't care if you leave because we don't accommodate your every whim. We have a long list of other children who would love that spot. So Bryan and Missy, I am begging you. Take this seriously. This is real school. If you dont show Ollie that preschool is important, he won't think that real school is important because then "it's just kindergarten"....and it goes on, but when he's in middle school, it will be too late to instill how valuable school is to him. Also, geniuses, most people start their kids in kindergarten at 5. I started kindergarten at 4, and turned 5 in the first month. I wasn't traumatized. No one in the class cares. He WILL be 5 next year. Stop procrastinating, and put him in school. I know you dont want him to grow up, but school is so important. He is going to make friends in THIS class, and you're going to hold him back so that he has to make NEW friends when he actually starts school. That's not right.

Okay, putting up my soapbox.

I agree with everything you've said about being on time, being there every day, learning responsibility, etc. 100%

However, I have a different opinion about when a child is ready to start kindergarten. My two kids have July and August birthdays. My oldest was mature enough and ready to start Kindergarten at 5. My youngest just turned 5 last week, and he'll be in another year of preschool and start Kindergarten at 6 because he is NOT ready. It's not because we baby him and I don't want him to grow up. I WANT him to grow up. But he is nowhere near as mature as his sister, and struggles with his language skills and communication skills. He's more active, more stubborn, and just more LITTLE BOY. Boys mature more slowly than girls and I don't see any problem holding a child back if their birthday it JUST at the cutoff date. Some boys may be ready, and that's awesome! Put them in Kindergarten, but I'd be doing my son a disservice by pushing him when he's clearly not ready. And all of the teachers at our elementary school agree when I've voiced my concerns to them. They've seen it.
my brother had to start prek at 5 because of when his birthday falls (local catholic rule) Probably the best decision my parents had was keeping him at the school instead of going into public school where he would be the youngest in his class. He would not be ready at all maturity wise for Kindergarten if he actually went to pre-k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

Baconsgirl wrote:
Edenberry wrote:
usernamessuck wrote:As an educator, i was appalled at today's vlog. They made it way too easy to find Ollie school. I mean the big old mural with the mascot on it? Seriously? Does your child's privacy just not concern you?

Then missy goes on this whole speech about how it's only prek, and they might hold him back. They can take him in late and check him out early. The whole point of preschool is to teach young children how to act in a classroom. How to report on time, and sit when someone is talking. People who constantly take their kids out of class or show up late only further prove how very little they value their child's education. Let me tell you, we are highly aware of who is always late. We know who checks their kids out for ridiculous reasons. We know who the difficult families are, and the thing with private school is.....we don't care if you leave because we don't accommodate your every whim. We have a long list of other children who would love that spot. So Bryan and Missy, I am begging you. Take this seriously. This is real school. If you dont show Ollie that preschool is important, he won't think that real school is important because then "it's just kindergarten"....and it goes on, but when he's in middle school, it will be too late to instill how valuable school is to him. Also, geniuses, most people start their kids in kindergarten at 5. I started kindergarten at 4, and turned 5 in the first month. I wasn't traumatized. No one in the class cares. He WILL be 5 next year. Stop procrastinating, and put him in school. I know you dont want him to grow up, but school is so important. He is going to make friends in THIS class, and you're going to hold him back so that he has to make NEW friends when he actually starts school. That's not right.

Okay, putting up my soapbox.

I agree with everything you've said about being on time, being there every day, learning responsibility, etc. 100%

However, I have a different opinion about when a child is ready to start kindergarten. My two kids have July and August birthdays. My oldest was mature enough and ready to start Kindergarten at 5. My youngest just turned 5 last week, and he'll be in another year of preschool and start Kindergarten at 6 because he is NOT ready. It's not because we baby him and I don't want him to grow up. I WANT him to grow up. But he is nowhere near as mature as his sister, and struggles with his language skills and communication skills. He's more active, more stubborn, and just more LITTLE BOY. Boys mature more slowly than girls and I don't see any problem holding a child back if their birthday it JUST at the cutoff date. Some boys may be ready, and that's awesome! Put them in Kindergarten, but I'd be doing my son a disservice by pushing him when he's clearly not ready. And all of the teachers at our elementary school agree when I've voiced my concerns to them. They've seen it.
my brother had to start prek at 5 because of when his birthday falls (local catholic rule) Probably the best decision my parents had was keeping him at the school instead of going into public school where he would be the youngest in his class. He would not be ready at all maturity wise for Kindergarten if he actually went to pre-k.

My son has a November birthday so will turn 5 just a couple months after starting prek I'm happy about this for sure. If his birthday fell a couple months sooner I would be concerned about him being behind his other classmates due to age. Missy's concern is valid. Summer birthday kids do tend to struggle in school.

tintin15
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by tintin15 »

I just hate the fact that they're going to skip taking him to school because they feel like staying home or going to some fun place.

School is his chance to learn things and meet other kids his age, and he's probably rarely going to get to go. They're failing him so much it's legitimately upsetting. If they keep going at this rate, he's going to be so uneducated because they won't teach him anything or let him learn elsewhere. I'm mostly concerned that he's going to feel stupid his whole life because he won't know things that other kids know.

Cars and vacations don't help self esteem. I was about to say that he could receive some education while on their 20 vacations a year, but then remembered that they don't look at anything of value :)
Laura is dope 23
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Laura is dope 23 »

They are absolutely ridiculous with the signing/gifting thing. I was best friends with and went to high school (public btw) with a kid who was the son of a famous rapper. Y'know an actually famous person, not an internet star. Nobody ever bothered him because he didn't make a big deal out of it. They're setting him up for failure -_-
ja14
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ja14 »

Okay, so I commented before watching the Q & A that I think she didn't want pictures and such for safety reasons. After watching it, I interpret her request as her wanted Ollie to feel normal and an equal to all the other kids. However, as someone else mentioned, they themselves do not treat their him like a normal kid. Ollie is going to expect and want to be treated special, which is going to cause issues.

I don't think there's a one-size fits all age for when starting kindergarten. Some young five year olds would do really well with Kindergarten and flourish, while it may take other kids a bit longer. If Ollie stays in pre-k, I think that will prepare him for pre-k and we be best for him to start at five. If they pull him out and keep him at home, I do not see him being ready in a years time. Since Missy did admit to not being able to teach Ollie everything he needs right now, I don't think they will make silly excuses and pull him out. I think he will only be removed if there is a real issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

actuallydear wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:There is nothing wrong with holding a child back if you feel they need the extra year to develop and be ready, but let's be honest here.... a lot of why Ollie is behind is because his parents don't teach him anything. What is another year really going to do but make him fall more behind and allow them to not step it up and engage with him developmentally and educationally. It's already clear that they aren't going to take school seriously, and Oliver needs it more than most kids! It's very sad to me to see how far ahead of Ollie my almost 3 yo is verbally, intellectually, etc. I don't work with him everyday, and a lot of his development has come just from us talking to him. Maybe Ollie just isn't a natural learner, but I'm very concerned for him. Others say he's bright, but I can't see it. He has lazy parents for sure, but he also should have at least picked up a few things (like colours or ABcs) along the way by now. He needs education and parental involvement to catch up... not an extra year of his parents being flakey, taking him to school late, giving him days off, etc.
I didn't see your post before I posted mine, and they started off the same but ended up with some differing opinions. Have we ever seen any educational toys? Even shows like Sesame Street, or The Wiggles - which are (last time I checked) education orientated shows. Ever even heard Missy or Bryan count with him, or do ABCs? Draw? Colour? Paint? Build with wooden blocks? Magnets? Puzzles? Stickers? If they did any of this, we would have seen evidence by now - both in vlogs as it happened or in the background, but especially in Oliver. Nothin' but radio silence.

How is he supposed to pick it up if he's not exposed to any of this stuff? He doesn't go to friends houses for play dates, he is with his parents 95% of the time, and the rest of it he's with Mimi and Papa. Papa seems to be ok with him in terms of play, but I don't know how much of it is learn-through-play and stuff he can actually use VS. "here's a lizard. Come and touch it!" Suzanne IMO is the original Missy. And I'll leave it at that.
Because kids learn by asking questions. Plus my youngest has learned by watching silly toy channels (that I hate) on YT. Ollie spends more time with his iPad than he does talking to his own mother, are we to honestly believe he has NEVER been exposed to the alphabet, colours, etc? If this is the case, why are people advocating for him to spend another year at home to catch up? Bryan and Missy read here, and I would hate for comments like that to encourage them when what they really need to do is STEP IT UP. Think about it, if they haven't even exposed their kids to these basic educational tools, is there really an argument for their big being negligent and lazy parents?

I really think Finn is smart and that we will see him learning and catching on to things a ton very soon. If so, it will arguably be with less attention than his brother had, and that will then prove my point about having co cents for Ollie.

Ollie is even worse off than Russell Franke.
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
actuallydear wrote:

Because kids learn by asking questions. Plus my youngest has learned by watching silly toy channels (that I hate) on YT. Ollie spends more time with his iPad than he does talking to his own mother, are we to honestly believe he has NEVER been exposed to the alphabet, colours, etc? If this is the case, why are people advocating for him to spend another year at home to catch up? Bryan and Missy read here, and I would hate for comments like that to encourage them when what they really need to do is STEP IT UP. Think about it, if they haven't even exposed their kids to these basic educational tools, is there really an argument for their big being negligent and lazy parents?

I really think Finn is smart and that we will see him learning and catching on to things a ton very soon. If so, it will arguably be with less attention than his brother had, and that will then prove my point about having co cents for Ollie.

I don't think anyone wants him to stay home another year but doing two years of prek instead of one may be a better option for him. Especially due to his late summer birthday and coming in basically knowing nothing.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

MommaLindsey2 wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:
actuallydear wrote: I didn't see your post before I posted mine, and they started off the same but ended up with some differing opinions. Have we ever seen any educational toys? Even shows like Sesame Street, or The Wiggles - which are (last time I checked) education orientated shows. Ever even heard Missy or Bryan count with him, or do ABCs? Draw? Colour? Paint? Build with wooden blocks? Magnets? Puzzles? Stickers? If they did any of this, we would have seen evidence by now - both in vlogs as it happened or in the background, but especially in Oliver. Nothin' but radio silence.

I don't think anyone wants him to stay home another year but doing two years of prek instead of one may be a better option for him. Especially due to his late summer birthday and coming in basically knowing nothing.

I suppose. I just can't get over how incredibly sad it is for a child with two SAH parents and grandparents to "basically know nothing."

He is going to have a hard year. Actually, they all are. I agree, they will pull him out when they realize this.
Amelia322
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Amelia322 »

Well we should all know what school it is since they go to church there. And Johnson fam doesn't hide where they go to school. So obviously they're all going to the same school as key and luv.

I'm sure the church school has high security and doesn't allow strangers in which is why they don't mind showing too much.

It's not like a subscriber could go in and snatch Ollie ?

justkidding
Talker
Talker

Unread post by justkidding »

It sounds like he will go 2 days a week. That seems like a great transition for a child who has had no formal classes outside of swim lessons. People can criticize them or celebrate the fact that they are putting him in preschool now. I think it sounds like a good starting point for him. He looked really excited in the classroom.

On the other side, I don't see a big deal if they decide to pull him out for vacations periodically. It's preschool not middle school. I know it will be more often than most families, but it is still preschool.

I have heard of many boys with summer birthdays and parents have decided to either have them start school late or repeat kindergarten. The Southwest states start school early and therefore tend to have early cutoff dates. He is simply young and small for his class. I thought Missy's attitude starting the year that he may need 2 years of preschool was really healthy.

It will be interesting to see what he learns this coming year.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

justkidding wrote:It sounds like he will go 2 days a week. That seems like a great transition for a child who has had no formal classes outside of swim lessons. People can criticize them or celebrate the fact that they are putting him in preschool now. I think it sounds like a good starting point for him. He looked really excited in the classroom.

On the other side, I don't see a big deal if they decide to pull him out for vacations periodically. It's preschool not middle school. I know it will be more often than most families, but it is still preschool.

I have heard of many boys with summer birthdays and parents have decided to either have them start school late or repeat kindergarten. The Southwest states start school early and therefore tend to have early cutoff dates. He is simply young and small for his class. I thought Missy's attitude starting the year that he may need 2 years of preschool was really healthy.

It will be interesting to see what he learns this coming year.

Two days a week and they are already talking about how it's ok to miss days and not get there on time?

I'm just saying, don't be surprised when we are all saying they aren't taking it seriously a month from now.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

They'll pull him once he can read. Teaching him to read is probably one of her biggest fears.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

Unread post by Theirmom »

I know how much everyone looooves the "they do it THIS way where I live" posts, but I just can't believe how different it is in the U.S.

I'm in Ontario. There is no "cut off" for birthdays in regards to starting school. Our schools go from junior kindergarten to 12, and you start the year you turn 4. It doesn't matter if your birthday is January 1st or December 31st. You start with your peers.
You have the option of skipping junior kindergarten, but only if you're in the English only tract. My kids are in French immersion, and you can't keep them back a year if you want them in the second language program, or else they'll be a year behind their peers (and they MUST go into their same-age class, not with the younger cohort, there's no option for a 5 year old to go into jk, they go right to senior kindy).

They also don't "fail" kids or hold them back. They just assign a resource teacher to help your kid catch up and remain with their peer group.

The notion of holding kids back and making them attend school with a younger cohort is all very bizarre to me. My oldest was 3 when he started school, and turned 4 in October. That was KINDERGARTEN. It's astounding to me that my kid was YOUNGER than Ollie when he went to full day, five days a week real school, and they're thinking that 2 half days a week of preschool will be too much for this kid. Bizarre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:roll:
thenightowl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by thenightowl »

marshmallowfluf wrote:I love that she made sure to mention that the "pre-k" is very laid back and it doesn't matter if you are late, miss days etc. The pre-k that my son went to was just like regular school, 5 days a week, 7 hours a day. I don't see the point in having a preschool where you basically just drop in whenever you want?
I agree, I taught Preschool and it was 5 days a week. They are treating it more like daycare than a school (sure, it's better than nothing) but I don't see the point of just going 2 days, does Peyton go more days?
bcfryeof2
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by bcfryeof2 »

thenightowl wrote:
marshmallowfluf wrote:I love that she made sure to mention that the "pre-k" is very laid back and it doesn't matter if you are late, miss days etc. The pre-k that my son went to was just like regular school, 5 days a week, 7 hours a day. I don't see the point in having a preschool where you basically just drop in whenever you want?
I agree, I taught Preschool and it was 5 days a week. They are treating it more like daycare than a school (sure, it's better than nothing) but I don't see the point of just going 2 days, does Peyton go more days?
My son went 5 days a week and my daughter didn't go at all. The difference in their learning when they got to elementary school, was vastly different. I highly recommend pre school.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Return to “Daily Bumps”