The Dale Tribe

olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Dale Tribe

Unread post by olemama »

Hats off to Jon and Amy for putting together a lovely little vlog "Jellyfish on the Beach". If you don't promote crap in your vlogs and you don't act like morons in front of the camera, you can actually put together something fun to watch. The seashore near St Agnes in Cornwall, England is gorgeous and Jon shutting up and letting the sights and sounds of this magnificent coastline do the talking was magical.

On the other side of the pond, Amy and the kids are off to Nana and Poppa's (Amy's parents). Thankfully Amy puts the camera in the hands of Shae and Aspen and the girls do a nice job of vlogging. Poppa's working on converting a school bus to an RV camper which is a nifty project that he is putting out on youtube. Unfortunately Amy does not put the link in the description box (However, top on the list is the link to the Dale tribe's store where you can buy buttons that say "Dale Tribe" for $9.00!!!) The video ends with the tribe settling down for the night. Here's hoping Nana fixed you guys a yummy hot dinner! Sweet dreams!
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

In "Caught in a Torrential Rain Storm" the Dale tribe seems surprised by...well..rain.

Jon and Anna continue their travels in England, this time visiting the charming town and surrounding coastline of St. Ives. Jon exhibits self-control until the end when he films himself looking like an idiot flailing around doing "parkour". (Google it if you don't know what that is) But I forgive Jon; he captures some beautiful sunset footage.

Amy, at Nana and Poppa's digs in Colorado, is another matter. She complains about the dog whining and waking her up. Amy, your dog needs exercise; you've got 3 kids- kick their butts out of bed and get them to take poor, suffering Phoenix for a walk. Later, Poppa, Eli and Aspen are engaged in some interesting projects but we don't see much because Shae is hawking her tee-shirt (only $20 at their online store!) Then the tribe's off to buy useless crap from Hobby Lobby and Target. Finally the rain comes and it's....wet. My recommendation to the Dale tribe: an umbrella!
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

Are they really popular enough to be selling merch? That's so weird to me. I mean really, not just clothing but mugs and phone cases? And the designs aren't very attractive in my opinion. I wonder if anyone will ever buy anything.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I was just looking for the merch on Google to see what it looked like. I stumbled across the description on YouTube. Jon claims to be British. Maybe he's got British relatives, but I don't believe he's British. His accent is awful. And he's supposed to be "adventurous and goofy". Amy supposedly loves "all things Korean". Does that include Kim Jong Un? And have they done anything towards training Phoenix to be a "diabetic alert dog"? If so, she shouldn't be bitching about the dog waking her up. Anyway, except for Amy loving Star Wars, and Aspen having diabetes, the descriptions aren't very accurate from what I've seen. Of course, she says more about herself than anyone else in the family. Everyone else gets two.words, and Aspen is totally defined by her diabetes.[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... c3756a.jpg[/img]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

Caisflame wrote:Are they really popular enough to be selling merch? That's so weird to me. I mean really, not just clothing but mugs and phone cases? And the designs aren't very attractive in my opinion. I wonder if anyone will ever buy anything.
I just don't know what investment is needed to establish a merch store. Will it be a money-maker for them even if they sell only 10 shirts? And the "Follow the unicorn" phrase was already taken by another t-shirt vendor! (The graphic is different though) Maybe Jon and Amy are envisioning this as a career for Anna? Her education is weak but she is artistic and the merch designs could definitely use some improvement!!!
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

lmmomSD wrote:I was just looking for the merch on Google to see what it looked like. I stumbled across the description on YouTube. Jon claims to be British. Maybe he's got British relatives, but I don't believe he's British. His accent is awful. And he's supposed to be "adventurous and goofy". Amy supposedly loves "all things Korean". Does that include Kim Jong Un? And have they done anything towards training Phoenix to be a "diabetic alert dog"? If so, she shouldn't be bitching about the dog waking her up. Anyway, except for Amy loving Star Wars, and Aspen having diabetes, the descriptions aren't very accurate from what I've seen. Of course, she says more about herself than anyone else in the family. Everyone else gets two.words, and Aspen is totally defined by her diabetes.

True. It's hard to trust Jon and Amy's drivel. But Jon's parents (Tony/Felicity Dale) have a big internet presence because they are evangelical Christians, they sell books, do podcasts and interviews. They claim to have moved from England to Texas in 1987 when Jon was 10. So I understand why Jon might have a weird accent. And Jon enjoys the outdoors as many Coloradans do. He works in a Christian ministry primarily targeted at men which emphasizes manly "adventures" such as dirt-biking, rock-climbing as a way to be a better Christian! I interpret his "goofiness" as obnoxious idiocy!

Amy is total space cadet. She and Jon have no ability to turn Phoenix into a service dog for Aspen. They don't give Phoenix daily obedience training and don't take her restaurants or stores to get her socialized.

And they focus on Aspen's diabetes because they know it will get them views that translate into $$$!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

It really bugs me when "Christians" exploit their children like that for money. You can't serve two masters. It's bad enough when non-religious vloggers exploit their kids, but Christians, especially those who talk about their faith publicly, are supposed to be holding themselves to a higher standard. And using your daughter's chronic, life threatening illness to make money, is just not what Jesus would do.

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

It really pisses me off that they all have something fun to describe them in their channel description and all Aspen has is diabetes. They make her life ALL about her diabetes. I get that it's a big part of her life, but I find it sick that they didn't get her any other description like hobbies or things she enjoys.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Caisflame wrote:It really pisses me off that they all have something fun to describe them in their channel description and all Aspen has is diabetes. They make her life ALL about her diabetes. I get that it's a big part of her life, but I find it sick that they didn't get her any other description like hobbies or things she enjoys.
That's exactly what I meant. In the channel description, she is completely defined by her diabetes. Isn't the point supposed to be not to let it define her? She's such a spunky kid. I really like her. Wish she didn't have such awful parents.

olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

In "Anna visits her dream school" it's a trip down memory lane for the Dale tribe as Jon's parents revisit old haunts and a college tour for Anna in Falmouth, England. Jon is capless. Hurrah!... Oh rat fart! he buys another one!

In Colorado it's the final day of the tribe's visit to Nana and Poppa's. Poppa and Eli have made terrific progress on the floor of the bus-to-RV conversion project. Nice job, boys! Then it's off to the zoo where we see a few shot of animals but mostly shots of the tribe (Including Nana and Poppa) acting like blockheads. Eli, the zoo is not the place for your inept parkour tricks and the rope railing is not meant for tight-rope walking. And Amy demonstrates she's smarter than a preschooler!

Back at home, Amy answers the question of the day which is , "if you could pick an object from any movie or book, what would you pick?" Normally I hate the QOTD because it gives Amy an excuse to prattle on mindlessly but I got a big laugh out of her answer. She picked "house droid" from Star Wars
to cook and clean for her!

On a more serious note, I sincerely hope Anna does go to a wonderful school like Falmouth University. Between Amy's homeschooling and that sub-standard Christian school she attends, Anna is not getting the education she deserves. Good luck Anna!
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

In "Changing an insulin pump..." it's the final leg of the trip to England for Jon and Anna as they stroll the town of Bosham where Jon spent his early childhood. This is a sweet part of the video; they visit the grave site of Jon's maternal grandparents. Jon's parents buy Anna a book she has wanted and her thanks to them is so heartfelt. Lovely Anna!

But back in Colorado, you know it's bad when the high point of this segment is their cat, Cogs, licking his butt in the kitchen sink! Aspen needs her pump changed at the movies and doesn't have the necessary items in her diabetes bag so Amy rushes back home to get a pump and the insulin. Amy, your disorganization makes it so hard for Aspen to manage her diabetes. She's 10 and new to diabetes for fuck's sake! It's your job to make sure she's got everything she needs in her diabetes bag and she has the bag with her everywhere she goes!

Then who's cooking dinner for the tribe? Why Aspen and Shae! While Amy drones in front of the camera, the girl prepare a "Hello Fresh" meal kit and do the dishes. I swear, the whole tribe would shrivel and die of starvation without those "Hello Fresh" kits.

Finally comes the coma-inducing boredom of watching the tribe opening packages and letters sent to them by fans. I am always befuddled about why anyone would send this well-off family crap and why the Dale tribe thinks this makes for good vlogging. It doesn't. But thanks to Cogsy for the wrap-up!
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

In "What has he done to his hair?" the trip to England is winding down and Jon, Anna and his parents are eating their way through the countryside. Candy, eggs, sausage, beans, something called English flapjacks...I started to feel queasy just watching them. Jon shows off his athletic prowess by beating a 10 and an 8 year old at ping-pong and doing flips on their trampoline as they glumly watch.

Back in Colorado Amy finally steps up to the plate as a parent and takes Aspen and Shae to a "Beyond Type 1" picnic event in Denver. Aspen meets the members of the "Beyond Type 1" bike team who are biking across America to raise awareness and money for type 1 research. Aspen is genuinely happy to be around other T1 adults and kids. Amy finally appreciates how truly isolated Aspen feels about her illness. So Amy, this fall get off your tushie and make sure Aspen is signed up for Diabetes camp next summer!!!

And, Eli...about your hair. No....just no.
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

Ugh! Another day, another dollar for the avaricious Dale tribe. Or in the latest video "Preparing for a diabetic emergency...", several hundred dollars worth of free vanity medical id bracelets for Aspen. Why not exploit our diabetic daughter and get some free stuff by shilling for a company?!

This really burns my butt! So many T1 diabetics cannot afford test strips and insulin because of inadequate or no health insurance. The Dale tribe appears to have excellent insurance for Aspen and can afford pumps, insulin, meters, a continuous glucose monitoring system. And they can certainly afford a nice id bracelet for Aspen.

I do not mind if youtubers give an honest review of something they have purchased. But I refuse to watch an advertisement especially if it involves exploiting a 10 year old ill child. So I stopped watching.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I like Eli's hair, but as someone who is familiar with colored hair, that's a color that is going to fade fast even with the right upkeep.
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

^^^Yeah, Anna's fun summer hair color (I think it was blue?) sure did not last long. It was faded out after about 10 days!
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

I spoke too soon in my earlier posts. Jon's parents are departing tomorrow. The bride and groom of the wedding Jon and Anna attended have returned from their honeymoon. But Jon and Anna are still wandering the streets of London. It's all good though as that close-up of the Korean meal they had was a welcome respite from the candy, beans, sausage, bacon, fried eggs they have been noshing on. And they are taking in the museums and bookshops of London which will hopefully broaden Anna's worldview.

What's shaking in Colorado? Well, Aspen, Phoenix, the dog and General Iroh, the cat! Aspen is the energizer bunny of the house as she cooks waffles for everyone, does her summer reading, builds a lego man and constructs a fort out of blankets. It's raining but Phoenix and General Iroh seem up for some outdoor fun. Will it happen? Not a chance! Shae is too busy messing with her hair and make-up and taking selfies, Eli is nowhere to be seen, and Amy is...um..doing nothing!

But a high-five to Aspen and Amy for making an earlier video about the symptoms of T1 diabetes. As a result, a subscriber went to the doc and got diagnosed! Awesome guys!
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

I'll kick off my synopsis of "Shae picks our outfits " in true Dale tribe click-bait style by announcing that AMY FINALLY TAKES THE KIDS AND THE DOG FOR A WALK!!!! It's true. She hauled her bedraggled butt out of bed after cruisin' Pinterest and Amazon all morning and did it. I hoped she also would take the kids swimming at a ...you know..actual swimming pool but instead Aspen fills a baby pool from the hose and the kids stick their feet in it. Oh well! Then the tribe buys random crap from the Salvation Army store and the Dollar store. In England Jon and Anna are looking at painted ceilings and eating brownies. Exciting stuff, I know!

On the other hand, General Iroh, the tribe's awesome kitty, has a thrilling day when he comes nose-to-nose with a deer in the Dale's backyard!
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

Caisflame wrote:I like Eli's hair, but as someone who is familiar with colored hair, that's a color that is going to fade fast even with the right upkeep.
Yup, we just saw Eli in the Salvation Army store, looking about as happy as a tick on a zombie, while Shae selected an outfit for him! And his blue hair had faded to pale algae-green!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

That was very cool when the deer was checking the cat out. Amy was huffing and puffing when she was walking. She may not be overweight, but she's out of shape.

olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Amy is on a roll (heh-heh!). In "Close friends meet..." she takes the tribe to Manitou Springs, CO to play at an old-fashioned penny arcade. And this, after taking the kids for a walk yesterday! Perhaps her trip to the beautician (where her hair looks like it got combed) has given her a new-found sense of purpose. What's next!? Maybe she'll take the kids for a swim. Anything is possible!

Still in London, Jon and Anna navigate the subway system, score some tickets to a musical, meet-up with an internet friend and eat...and eat..and eat some more. Jon does not wear a cap on his head the whole time! Coincidentally he does a good job of vlogging- I think those hats he wears lower his IQ substantially.

We close out the video with Aspen cooking up some low-carb cookies. They look like adobe bricks made from mud and straw. But a gold star for effort, Aspen!

Return to “A-H”